Fire Emblem Fates Randomizer

thane98

This sounds really cool! Before I try it out though, I have a couple questions...

Does this hack work with a version of Fates on a computer? Or does it have to be played on a 3DS?

I own Fates on my 2DS on an SD card, does that make a difference?

I bought Conquest, and downloaded the other two paths as DLC. Do I have to randomize the game every time I start a new file? And what about already existing files? Also, does it randomize when I open the game on my 2DS, or does it randomize before i put it on the system?

Sorry for all the questions, but I hope someone can help. Thanks!

• Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 hours ago, Dante said:

This sounds really cool! Before I try it out though, I have a couple questions...

Does this hack work with a version of Fates on a computer? Or does it have to be played on a 3DS?

I own Fates on my 2DS on an SD card, does that make a difference?

I bought Conquest, and downloaded the other two paths as DLC. Do I have to randomize the game every time I start a new file? And what about already existing files? Also, does it randomize when I open the game on my 2DS, or does it randomize before i put it on the system?

Sorry for all the questions, but I hope someone can help. Thanks!

If you have a decrypted copy of Fates on your computer, you could probably use something like PackHack to randomize the files for use with Citra, though I don't have any sort of tutorial for doing that. It's much easier to play it through your 3DS.

If you own a digital copy and you are using HANS/Homebrew Launcher to play ROM hacks, your setup may not be compatible with Fates. I can't really do anything for you there - if you can't launch Fates through HANS, your only option is to install custom firmware on your 3DS. However, that option's only available if you haven't updated your 3DS to version 11.3.

I don't recommend using existing save files with ROM hacks in general - it leads to unstable games and unpredictable behavior. If you're using Conquest, you'll only be able to randomize Conquest since Birthright/Revelation are treated as DLC content which is significantly harder to modify. You don't really need to randomize every time you start a new file unless you want different results on your next playthrough.

The randomizer doesn't touch your 3DS. It modifies files on your computer which you can then add to a ROM/patch to see the results in game.

I have a problem...

I'm pretty sure I did everything right. I don't know what could be wrong. But I still have a problem.

I choose to randomize Revelations path. I have the EUR Special Edition.

But nothing happens. Hinoka stays Hinoka in the prologue. As well for Takumi, Sakura, and everyone else.

I saw you talked about a green flash screen... I don't have any green flash screen.

Is there a problem with the french version ? I have NTR. Is the "installation" in the NTR menu really fast ? I mean. It's less than one second. I don't know if it's normal or if NTR does not detect my files.

I don't really know what to add much. I did the Same-Sex marriage thing, but I did not delete anything. Should I delete the files from this patch ? I want it in my game actually.

The randomizer works. I have the .txt files and the .XML too. I WANT LUCINA TO BE MY SISTER. D:

The files are in the fefatesSE folder. There's also the plugin folder, with the folder with a lot of numbers, and a .plg in it.

Ive got a problem: I installed homebrew etc. just for this to work and am sitting on trying to get this randomizer to work since saturday (4 days ago)

Im sure ive done everything right, but when i go into hans, set the options to load the .romfs from the sdcard and start the game, i just get 2 white bars on the screen and my 3ds freezes.

Does anyone know what could have happened i am 100% out of ideas i tried everything even doing the whole process over and the same thing happened.

If i was just to use an old 3ds itself that hasnt been updated in a while, can i play birthright by itself?

and how does one go to using hombrew on a new 3ds?

7 hours ago, Morrow said:

Ive got a problem: I installed homebrew etc. just for this to work and am sitting on trying to get this randomizer to work since saturday (4 days ago)

Im sure ive done everything right, but when i go into hans, set the options to load the .romfs from the sdcard and start the game, i just get 2 white bars on the screen and my 3ds freezes.

Does anyone know what could have happened i am 100% out of ideas i tried everything even doing the whole process over and the same thing happened.

As mentioned in the main post, homebrew programs like HANS tend to have problems with Fates. Physical copies of Fates tend to work alright, but homebrew programs can hardly touch digital copies. If you're on a firmware version lower than 11.3 (as in, not on the latest update), you could always go for the custom firmware route. That method will work perfectly regardless of which version of Fates you're using.

6 hours ago, Thany said:

If i was just to use an old 3ds itself that hasnt been updated in a while, can i play birthright by itself?

and how does one go to using hombrew on a new 3ds?

Check the patching section of the main post for a short guide on setting up homebrew. I haven't updated it for the latest firmware yet, but you can use the same entry point to get homebrew access. Keep in mind that if you're using a digital version of Fates and the latest firmware, there's little chance that you'll be able to run ROM hacks of Fates due to the extra security that comes with the digital version.

Anyways, I've gone ahead and updated the main post with a small bugfix which caused the randomizer to stop responding when randomizing under certain configurations.

Just now, MightyEmperor said:

HELP ME

I have finally managed to decompress the rom using FEAT but I cannot see any signs of the fates randomize.jar, I tried re installing everything including java its self but it comes up as a zip folder within the actual Randomizer beta. 5 folder. Please help me....

If you have WinRAR installed, it sets .jar files to show up as WinRAR files by default. Simply right click on "Fates Randomizer Beta 5" from the download, go down to "Open With..." and select Java.

I forgot to mention, I've started up development on the next update for the randomizer. I've got a couple interesting features planned, but it'll be awhile before anything's ready since I need to change a bunch of stuff under the hood first. If anyone has any features they'd like to see added, I'm open to suggestions.

Sorry to bother again, I randomized the files (at least I think I did, it said complete near the anna tick box) and re compressed the files through FEAT but after I put the files in the gay fates special edition folder (It also had a folder named game data that I replaced with the randomized one) and used bootntr mode 3 nothing happened, it was regular birthright. Was I meant to put the randomized stuff in the patches folder? Or was it that although I'm using an EU rom I never got an error message even though I didn't change any of my m folders text around?

19 minutes ago, MightyEmperor said:

Sorry to bother again, I randomized the files (at least I think I did, it said complete near the anna tick box) and re compressed the files through FEAT but after I put the files in the gay fates special edition folder (It also had a folder named game data that I replaced with the randomized one) and used bootntr mode 3 nothing happened, it was regular birthright. Was I meant to put the randomized stuff in the patches folder? Or was it that although I'm using an EU rom I never got an error message even though I didn't change any of my m folders text around?

If NTR ran correctly, you should get a green flash when starting up Fates. If you don't have one, you're likely using the wrong plugin for your version.

2 minutes ago, thane98 said:

If NTR ran correctly, you should get a green flash when starting up Fates. If you don't have one, you're likely using the wrong plugin for your version.

Ah I see, I suppose that means I'll need to use hans right? Or is it possible that its a region thing? Thank you for you assistance 

Just now, MightyEmperor said:

Ah I see, I suppose that means I'll need to use hans right? Or is it possible that its a region thing? Thank you for you assistance 

You don't need to use HANS. You just need to use the correct NTR plugin for your version of Fates. Are you using EU Birthright, Conquest, or Special Edition?

12 minutes ago, thane98 said:

Yes.

well the plugin you gave me has the same code as my rom but there was no green screen and it didn't work. I guess something went wrong in FEAT or around that part which is odd because I still have a successful randomized file from it. I did notice that a few files failed to be compressed or something like that in FEAT but no error messages about the m folder popped up....

8 minutes ago, MightyEmperor said:

well the plugin you gave me has the same code as my rom but there was no green screen and it didn't work. I guess something went wrong in FEAT or around that part which is odd because I still have a successful randomized file from it. I did notice that a few files failed to be compressed or something like that in FEAT but no error messages about the m folder popped up....

Wait it works!!! I was using mode 3 but the normal ntr is what I needed, thank you for taking the time to help me! I only have one more question, If I want to add gay fates how do I do it without over writing the randomizer?

57 minutes ago, MightyEmperor said:

Wait it works!!! I was using mode 3 but the normal ntr is what I needed, thank you for taking the time to help me! I only have one more question, If I want to add gay fates how do I do it without over writing the randomizer?

You have to include the GameData file from the Gay Fates hack inside your files when you run the randomizer.

Welp first off I gotta say, really nice work.  The hack is working decently fine so really appreciate what you're doing.

One thing that would be neat if you added to the output file is the randomized abilities. I could see they were on the xml, but only the ids were on the xml, which doesn't tell me much about them. Not a big issue, if it was really pressing I would just look it up, but it'd be a nice touch. Besides that, when I re-randomized the files using a previously created xml I found that the randomized personal abilities had changed for most of my chars. Just wanted to let you know.

As for extra features, it'd be cool if the characters replacing royals would have dragon blood. (Like say Selena replaces Elise, then Selena becomes able to use dragon veins) Also if there was an option where the characters retained the gender of the person they replaced. (Say, Beruka replaces Xander, then she would have male class variants)

Also, it seems my game crashes every time I try to recruit "Nyx" (the character that replaces Nyx is what I mean) in Conquest. It might have to do with the fact that I'm using the gay hack, though I'm not sure. Edit: It does not. I have no idea why I'm getting a crash

All in all, awesome work! Keep at it!

Edited by Rambon99

I seem to be having a bit of a problem. I was trying to randomize my copy of Fates, but the little popup that's supposed to show up when you open the correct folder with the randomizer wasn't showing. After some digging I think I found the issue. One of the files in the Person folder refuses to decompress. No matter how many times I drag it into FEAT I get the same message. "Unable to automatically decompress CY02.bin.lz." And since all the files have to be properly decompressed I think this is where everythings getting messed up. Does anyone know how I can get this stubborn file to work with me and decompress it properly so I can continue on in the process?