Fire Emblem Fates Randomizer

thane98

1 hour ago, Nailosand said:

I seem to be having a bit of a problem. I was trying to randomize my copy of Fates, but the little popup that's supposed to show up when you open the correct folder with the randomizer wasn't showing. After some digging I think I found the issue. One of the files in the Person folder refuses to decompress. No matter how many times I drag it into FEAT I get the same message. "Unable to automatically decompress CY02.bin.lz." And since all the files have to be properly decompressed I think this is where everythings getting messed up. Does anyone know how I can get this stubborn file to work with me and decompress it properly so I can continue on in the process?

That file actually isn't modified by the randomizer at all. If the options window doesn't appear, you probably need to update your version of Java since the options window uses stuff from Java's more recent versions.

• Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi sorry to ask this but i dont really get the instructions to randomize fates im completely new to using brain dump and hans because i actually never bothered to use it before till i seen this post and some lets plays. the issue im having is how do i know the dumped worked? it gave me a folder called 0004001000021100 opened it has has a romfs.bin and another file next to it i used romfs extractor tool and i got the romfs_ folder from it. that is  were i am up to but i don't see anything like GameData.bin.lz and the rest of the stuff like that on the readme inside the file any help or hints would be cool thanks you if you respond.

26 minutes ago, Robin the rightful god said:

Hi sorry to ask this but i dont really get the instructions to randomize fates im completely new to using brain dump and hans because i actually never bothered to use it before till i seen this post and some lets plays. the issue im having is how do i know the dumped worked? it gave me a folder called 0004001000021100 opened it has has a romfs.bin and another file next to it i used romfs extractor tool and i got the romfs_ folder from it. that is  were i am up to but i don't see anything like GameData.bin.lz and the rest of the stuff like that on the readme inside the file any help or hints would be cool thanks you if you respond.

What files are inside the folder you got when you extracted files from the romfs? If you aren't seeing the folders you expected, you might have gotten a bad dump.

1 hour ago, thane98 said:

What files are inside the folder you got when you extracted files from the romfs? If you aren't seeing the folders you expected, you might have gotten a bad dump.

The romfs_ file that i got after i extracted the romfs.bin the file  contained a message folder,message_hud folder,shaders folder,sound folder, and the other to are a debug_text_LZ.bin and dlplay_LZ.bin  

Edited by Robin the rightful god

This is such a fun patch! But I ran into an issue when I play this with the Gay patch. In chapter 9 Conquest when you talk to Nyx, my game freezes. I don't know if anyone else had this issue? Specifically the game freezes as soon as "Nyx" talks about the shortcut obstacle you can use to get into the fort.

EDIT: So I missed the post about how breaking the wall before talking to "Nyx" fixes this. Sorry for bothering you about it fffff

Edited by kynimdraws

39 minutes ago, Robin the rightful god said:

The romfs_ file that i got after i extracted the romfs.bin the file  contained a message folder,message_hud folder,shaders folder,sound folder, and the other to are a debug_text_LZ.bin and dlplay_LZ.bin  

Yeah, your dump is messed up in that case. The only advice I can give you is to go through and try dumping the game again. Sorry.

Hey y'all! I saw this tool used in that Youtube video and fell in love at first sight. I think I'll do a randomized run soon, it looks like a lot of fun! I just have a few questions before I go messing around with this:

In all the screenshots I've seen, male characters only ever get replaced by other male characters, and female characters only ever replace female characters. Can this be disabled to allow cross-gender replacing? I wanna see someone like Xander replace Felicia.

Are special classes like Songstress and Wolfskin up for grabs, or are they still locked to their respective characters like Azura? On a similar note, how about gender-locked classes? Can males be randomly assigned Shrine Maiden, Priestess, Troubador (F), Maid, Witch, or Great Lord? Can females be assigned Monk, Great Master, Troubador (M), Butler, Ballistician, Lodestar, Vanguard, or Grandmaster?

Also, I'm curious as to how the legendary weapons work; do Xander, Leo, Ryoma, and Takumi keep their weapons regardless of who they replace, or do their replacements get the weapons instead (that is to say, if Azama replaces Leo and Leo replaces Hinata, who gets Brynhildr)? What about the amiibo units' personal weapons?

Are the first generation and second generation segregated, or can they replace each other? Could Midori replace Camilla while Odin replaces Dwyer, for example?

On 2/21/2017 at 7:01 PM, thane98 said:

I forgot to mention, I've started up development on the next update for the randomizer. I've got a couple interesting features planned, but it'll be awhile before anything's ready since I need to change a bunch of stuff under the hood first. If anyone has any features they'd like to see added, I'm open to suggestions.

Well, aside from anything I mentioned above that can't be done in the current build, perhaps a feature to include capturable bosses in the mix as well? We have amiibos in the mix, so why not them?

Options to include non-native units in a given route would be cool too (so Beruka could replace a playable unit even in Birthright, or Yukimura could replace someone even in Revelation).

A way to adjust a character's starting stats to fit their new join time (so if Fuga replaces Elise, he'll have a starting stat total based on Elise's rather than being already capped in most of his stats) without randomizing their growth rates or caps. Or would that be way too complex?

And maybe a checkbox that guarantees that units with special weapons like Siegfried are assigned a class that can actually use it?

Edited by Anomalocaris

So I checked the xml file that was generated the first time I randomized my game while trying to find out if there was a way to modify personal skills I noticed that the xml and output files are have different base stats and stat growths for children characters. I found that where the xml seems to display the stats of the character, in actuality it displays the stats of the character it's being replaced by. (e.g. My Soleil replaces Kiragi, so in the xml files Kiragi's base stats and stat growths are actually Soleil's). The output is correct in is stats (and presumably stat growths) as I compared them to the ones in game. Idk if this is a glitch or intentional. Also, is it possible to decide what personal abilities a character will have? I looked through the xml so I don't think you can, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

19 hours ago, Anomalocaris said:

Hey y'all! I saw this tool used in that Youtube video and fell in love at first sight. I think I'll do a randomized run soon, it looks like a lot of fun! I just have a few questions before I go messing around with this:

In all the screenshots I've seen, male characters only ever get replaced by other male characters, and female characters only ever replace female characters. Can this be disabled to allow cross-gender replacing? I wanna see someone like Xander replace Felicia.

Are special classes like Songstress and Wolfskin up for grabs, or are they still locked to their respective characters like Azura? On a similar note, how about gender-locked classes? Can males be randomly assigned Shrine Maiden, Priestess, Troubador (F), Maid, Witch, or Great Lord? Can females be assigned Monk, Great Master, Troubador (M), Butler, Ballistician, Lodestar, Vanguard, or Grandmaster?

Also, I'm curious as to how the legendary weapons work; do Xander, Leo, Ryoma, and Takumi keep their weapons regardless of who they replace, or do their replacements get the weapons instead (that is to say, if Azama replaces Leo and Leo replaces Hinata, who gets Brynhildr)? What about the amiibo units' personal weapons?

Are the first generation and second generation segregated, or can they replace each other? Could Midori replace Camilla while Odin replaces Dwyer, for example?

Well, aside from anything I mentioned above that can't be done in the current build, perhaps a feature to include capturable bosses in the mix as well? We have amiibos in the mix, so why not them?

Options to include non-native units in a given route would be cool too (so Beruka could replace a playable unit even in Birthright, or Yukimura could replace someone even in Revelation).

A way to adjust a character's starting stats to fit their new join time (so if Fuga replaces Elise, he'll have a starting stat total based on Elise's rather than being already capped in most of his stats) without randomizing their growth rates or caps. Or would that be way too complex?

And maybe a checkbox that guarantees that units with special weapons like Siegfried are assigned a class that can actually use it?

You can lock join order swaps to same-sex only in the options to ensure that pronouns match with the characters, but it's not forced.

Special classes are up for grabs, but characters are restricted to classes for their gender.

Currently, the randomizer doesn't mess with the legendary weapons at all. I probably need to fix this in a future update.

First/second gen are randomized separately. First gen units and second gen units use entirely different IDs for parent/child interactions, so trying to swap children with parents would just cause lots of bugs.

Non-native units are planned for the next update, but to get it working I'll need to go through and overhaul a significant portion of the randomizer. It'll be awhile before I have this feature ready to go. Capturable bosses is something I've considered. I may go ahead and add them in with the next update.

The starting stats are already created using the bases, growths, and modifiers of the other character. So if a character swaps with Gunter, they will always get his high base stats and low growths. I could separate stats, growths, and modifiers out into separate options in the future though.

I'll likely add in an option to guarantee a class that can use a special weapon whenever I get around to actually ensuring that the replacing characters can use them.

1 hour ago, Rambon99 said:

So I checked the xml file that was generated the first time I randomized my game while trying to find out if there was a way to modify personal skills I noticed that the xml and output files are have different base stats and stat growths for children characters. I found that where the xml seems to display the stats of the character, in actuality it displays the stats of the character it's being replaced by. (e.g. My Soleil replaces Kiragi, so in the xml files Kiragi's base stats and stat growths are actually Soleil's). The output is correct in is stats (and presumably stat growths) as I compared them to the ones in game. Idk if this is a glitch or intentional. Also, is it possible to decide what personal abilities a character will have? I looked through the xml so I don't think you can, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

Yeah, my bad for writing the XML that way, it's a little misleading. The randomizer uses the stats of whoever the original character is swapping with to determine their new stats. That's why the stats are arranged as they are inside of the XML file.

I might have messed up with the personal skills actually. It looks like I forgot to include them in the code for writing/reading the XML file. I'll make sure that they're in it with the next update.

12 minutes ago, thane98 said:

You can lock join order swaps to same-sex only in the options to ensure that pronouns match with the characters, but it's not forced.

Special classes are up for grabs, but characters are restricted to classes for their gender.

Currently, the randomizer doesn't mess with the legendary weapons at all. I probably need to fix this in a future update.

First/second gen are randomized separately. First gen units and second gen units use entirely different IDs for parent/child interactions, so trying to swap children with parents would just cause lots of bugs.

Non-native units are planned for the next update, but to get it working I'll need to go through and overhaul a significant portion of the randomizer. It'll be awhile before I have this feature ready to go. Capturable bosses is something I've considered. I may go ahead and add them in with the next update.

The starting stats are already created using the bases, growths, and modifiers of the other character. So if a character swaps with Gunter, they will always get his high base stats and low growths. I could separate stats, growths, and modifiers out into separate options in the future though.

I'll likely add in an option to guarantee a class that can use a special weapon whenever I get around to actually ensuring that the replacing characters can use them.

Ah, I see. Yeah, the parent/child thing makes sense now that I think about it.

Regarding gender-locked classes, I have seen hacks to allow some silly things like Witch Forrest or Songstress Saizo, so I guess it's possible, but I don't know how feasible integrating that into a randomizer would be, and it might cause issues if the game tries to "naturally generate" a gender mix-up like that instead of just directly forcing a class change.

Regarding stats and growths, I thought it could be neat if a character retains their normal growths and modifiers but has their starting stats rebalanced to fit their join point. Having those as separate options could work.

Thanks for the response!

Edited by Anomalocaris

Found another bug with the Conquest Route/Conquest cart for the randomizer (didn't see anyone else report it when I searched the thread)

In chapter 16 of Conquest, the game just breaks down. When you are to choose "Shura's" fate, It plays the convo fine, and then instead of prompting you to spare or kill the unit....it makes you return to the MyCastle...with some...interesting views.

scr_1_TOP_RIGHT.png

scr_2_TOP_LEFT.png

Fortunately, restarting the rom fixes it but it did give me a little panic attack, seeing that

Edited by kynimdraws

Hi again i have a question what do you mean by main directory i had fixed my problem and i followed the steps like the files and such i dont know if im missing something for the randomizer to load up is the main directory? dont really know what that means lol  thanks again if you reply and help 

4 minutes ago, dragonslayer793 said:

I'm confused as to what to do exactly I have Homebrew on my 3ds device but you keep saying dump the rom dump the rom and I'm confused because I'm trying to use a cartridge for the hack so I'm not sure how I can dump the rom of an actual 3ds cartridge on my computer so please help me.

do you have braindump and hans on your home brew? latest brain dump lets you pick what game your dumping.

40 minutes ago, Robin the rightful god said:

do you have braindump and hans on your home brew? latest brain dump lets you pick what game your dumping.

Yo don't double-post.  You can Edit quotes into your last post (albeit clunkily).

28 minutes ago, eclipse said:

Yo don't double-post.  You can Edit quotes into your last post (albeit clunkily).

Sorry i didn't know that was double posting i have just read the code of conduct i am new to this ill try not to double post again was trying to help thank you for the heads up.Should i delete that double post then? if that is an option

Edited by Robin the rightful god

So, uh. Thought this might be worth mentioning.

You know how a generic model usually replaces Leo's special model in the first chapter? Well in my game, instead of the generic, the model was... Kitsune Xander.

ZCt8qQp.jpg

If this information may be any help, Keaton is meant to be replacing Leo, while Xander is replacing Keaton himself.

EDIT: Another report. I'm playing chapter 7 of Revelation and the music doesn't seem to play when facing the Berserker boss. The regular map music is fine, as is the Ablaze music that plays when battling the generic enemies. Only the boss battle seems to have no music in the background for whatever reason. 

Don't know if it's already a known issue or whatever. If it is, well I guess you can take this report as extra confirmation. I've never had this problem with older runs. 

Edited by Benishigure

I have this kind of problem, i dumped the game 2 times, I have EU version and I changed the @U to @E, but still it can't find this File and a lot of more file after this, help pls .-.
PS: ''Nuova Cartella" is where i put all the files after running them with FEAT

Immagine.png

Edited by Ξ Azazeal Ξ

So question.

When I decompress the ROM files, GameData.bin.lz is converted to a .txt file rather than a .bin file. Then, when I open up the randomizer, it says I'm missing GameData.bin - which is a text file instead. Is there something I'm doing wrong? What can I do to correct this? I'm really interested in trying this out and I'd love to make it work.

18 hours ago, Robin the rightful god said:

Hi again i have a question what do you mean by main directory i had fixed my problem and i followed the steps like the files and such i dont know if im missing something for the randomizer to load up is the main directory? dont really know what that means lol  thanks again if you reply and help 

The main directory would be where you put the files you want to randomize. So put your m, GameData, Scripts, and Castle folders in a directory and select it in the randomizer.

15 hours ago, Benishigure said:

snip

Yeah, I need to fix the issues with Leo's model at some point. That one's always been a little buggy since the ending for chapter 1 uses a special model for that specific cutscene.

5 hours ago, Ξ Azazeal Ξ said:

snip

I'd recommend using a newer version first - the newer updates include support for European versions so that you don't have to rename. Also, have you verified that "Nuova Cartella" has a GameData\Dispos\ folder? That'd be the first step to troubleshooting the issue.

1 hour ago, roguemischief said:

So question.

When I decompress the ROM files, GameData.bin.lz is converted to a .txt file rather than a .bin file. Then, when I open up the randomizer, it says I'm missing GameData.bin - which is a text file instead. Is there something I'm doing wrong? What can I do to correct this? I'm really interested in trying this out and I'd love to make it work.

The GameData.bin file inside of the m folder will decompress to a text file. There should be another file called GameData.bin inside of the GameData folder of your ROM. That's the one you're missing by the sound of it.

1 hour ago, thane98 said:

The GameData.bin file inside of the m folder will decompress to a text file. There should be another file called GameData.bin inside of the GameData folder of your ROM. That's the one you're missing by the sound of it.

That was it exactly, thanks for the help!

Hi everyone, I need help! I've do all of the stuff for randomize the three paths of the digital rom of the eu special edition and launch the game with hans and the game all randomize but JUST the dialogue box isn't randomize and the voices for the dialogue instn't randomize too! Can someone help me for my problem? Also, on the first battle, Hinoka is replaces by Felicia but on the map, she's replace by Nyx, it's very strange!

Just sorry for my english, I'm french.

P_20170225_125140.jpg

P_20170225_125130.jpg