fe8 sacred stones units

In general, FE9 would have had a rather balanced cast, if it wasn't for Seth stomping the game from start to finish. He's maybe the most dominant unit in the series; unless you don't give him any levels at all, he will still be an amazing fighter in the endgame.

Out of the units you've named, Marisa is one of the weakest units in the game. She joins relatively late and her stats are slightly worse than Joshua's were several chapters before.

FE8 allows basically limitless grinding in the Tower of Valni which you can visit almost all of the time. Money might be a limiting factor in theory - iirc, you don't make a net gain in the tower runs until you've unlocked a few more floors. But even if I'm right (and I might not be), you can grind every unit you want into greatness without any worries.

Even if you decide not to use the tower, there are very few units that I would recommend not to use. Amelia (a lance-user) and Ewan (a mage) are a pain to raise at first - they're both 'Tier 0' units that you have to raise to Lv.10 to promote them to a basic class. The plus side is that they have more level-ups to collect than other units, but their growth rates are actually worse than average, so unless RNG happens to be on their side, they'll still only end up as good as other units that require less investment. Ewan has the option to go Shaman going for him; the only other Shaman in the game, Knoll, has rather poor stats, so some players like to use him instead. He's easier to raise than Amelia, too, simply because magic allows him to hit more consistently.

Ross (axe-user) is in the same boat as Amelia and Ewan, but unlike them he joins very early in the game, making him rather easy to train. His stats aren't that impressive either, but he's the only Pirate in the game (although you'll get a Berserker later).

Bishops in this game deal effective damage against all monsters, so all potential Bishops (Moulder, Natasha, Artur) will do quite well in the moster-heavy endgame. Lute (Mage) is pretty good, too. I recommend promoting her into a Mage Knight, even though the Sage's magic cap agrees with her amazing magic growth more. The additional Con is very helpful, though, even if you don't care about the additional movement point of the MK.

Out of the three cavaliers, Franz is probably the best one, although he's still massively overshadowed by Seth. Forde and Kyle are still very useable, though.

Gerik and Ephraim are indeed phantastic combat units. There's not much else to say about them - they kill stuff and they're both reasonably tanky.

This game has one huge route split that basically covers the whole midgame. You either follow Eirika or Ephraim while the other twin does his or her stuff offscreen. The one you don't follow will be autoleveled to 15 when they rejoin, so you could try to not funnel too much XP into the lord you don't want to follow. Their promotion is story-based, but it comes reasonably early and you can delay it if you want (you just get the promotional item instead to use whenever you want).

To be quite honest, almost every unit in this game is pretty good, including Seth, who may seem like a Jagen, but is apparently not. Even the unit who is considered the weakest in the game, Knoll, is also capable of fighting.

However, how will you play the game? Like the other games without a map? Or will you do skirmishes and the Tower of Valni and such? Depending on how you play it, some units may be more useful to you or not.

But, anyways, I will still mention some characters, along with their promotions (if you want to) who I personally think will turn out better than others (not counting the lords cuz their lords) :

Franz: He's the first Cavalier you get, and the best one as well. Better than Forde and Kyle. He's best as a Paladin, but even Great Knight is good.

Neimi: The first archer you get, and is pretty good. It's best to promote her as a Ranger, as you get a good Sniper later, but even Sniper's not too bad of a choice.

Lute: Obviously the best mage in the game. She's pretty good in almost every stat, except maybe in Def, but her Speed and Luck is enough to dodge any enemy attack. Her preferred choice of promotion is probably Sage, but be sure to give her a body ring for her constitution. As a Mage Knight, she's pretty good, but not much to the extent of a Sage.

Artur: Your only monk in the game, and pretty good one at that. Especially considering how you will be facing mostly monsters, so Light Magic is pretty useful in this game. He's good as a Bishop, gaining the Slayer Skill that will easily help in killing the undead.

Cormag: Is a Wyvern Knight, who's already quite strong. In fact, he's the strongest out of all the flying units. Just be sure you don't clear a chapter too early in Eirika's route (yes, their's a big route split), if you want to recruit him.

The Trainees: They are units that automatically promote when at level 10, becoming a base class unit. Ross is the less muscled axe kid, Amelia is the lance recruit, and Ewan is the magic kid in training.They have pretty good growths, and always turn out awesome. In their case of promotions, Ross would benefit from becoming a Pirate, so he can become 'Rosserker', Amelia benefits from becoming a Cavalier, as she gains more movement, and Ewan is good as both a Mage and Shaman- but most people make him a Shaman. However, do note, they are hard to train for their first ten level ups, especially if you're playing this game without skirmishes.

Joshua and Marisa: Both are really great, and will not disappoint. Marisa may be squishy at first, but she does turn out to be quite speedy.

Gerik: Cool dude that you should definitely use. He's already pretty strong when he joins, so yeah, he's pretty good.

Edited by Flee Fleet!

In my experiences, here's how units rank:

OP: Seth, Joshua, Ephraim, Natasha, Cormag, Gilliam

Fairly useful: Pretty much everyone else

Trash: Ross, all 3 pegasi, Neimi,

I try to avoid using Seth when possible because he can be an experience drain, but the other OPs have been amazing in every one of my playthroughs. With enough effort (and Tower of Valni runs) anyone from the usefuls can become good. I've had terrible luck with the Trash tier, because they either just get terrible level ups or they're just cursed. I generally reset when a unit dies, but one time Ross died 12 times in one chapter (all stupid 10% hit rate deaths and whatnot, all different enemies) and similar things tend to happen to me with the others. A lot of people have better luck with them though, so it might just be a curse on me.

In short, the game's easy enough to play with pretty much whoever you like, and if you're having trouble, go grind some more or find out why the game's referred to as Seth Emblem.

The Trainees: They are units that automatically promote when at level 10, becoming a base class unit. Ross is the less muscled axe kid, Amelia is the lance recruit, and Ewan is the magic kid in training.They have pretty good growths, and always turn out awesome. In their case of promotions, Ross would benefit from becoming a Pirate, so he can become 'Rosserker', Amelia benefits from becoming a Cavalier, as she gains more movement, and Ewan is good as both a Mage and Shaman- but most people make him a Shaman. However, do note, they are hard to train for their first ten level ups, especially if you're playing this game without skirmishes.

I gotta disagree on that one. All of the trainees have slightly lower combined growth rates than other growths units: 270% for Ross and Amelia, 275% for Ewan. €: Other units tend to have around 300% combined growths. It's not a huge deal, but it means that on average, they will have similar, not superior stats on 20/20 as their non-recruit counterparts. Luck is usually the only big exception (Amelia, for example, beats Franz by 12 points), but Luck really doesn't matter that much.

This isn't supposed to discourage the OP from using the trainees, though. As long as you're willing to grind them up, they'll do OK, it's just that they're hardly better than the normal units, even when they're grinded to the same level.

In my experiences, here's how units rank:

OP: Seth, Joshua, Ephraim, Natasha, Cormag, Gilliam

Fairly useful: Pretty much everyone else

Trash: Ross, all 3 pegasi, Neimi,

Honestly, Seth is the only OP unit in the game. :D Also, I don't think that Joshua, Natasha and Gilliam really are that great. Joshua's base stats are great, sure, but he's swordlocked for the entire game which is a significant disadvantage compared to the Cavs or even to Gerik. Natasha is just a healer, and after promotion, Artur and even Moulder can do the monster-smiting just as well as she does. And Gilliam might be very tanky, but his offense is rather poor, thanks to his terrible speed.

On the other end, the peg knights are hardly trash. Vanessa's strength growth is a bit shaky, especially combined with her low con, but going Wyvern Knight helps with the con quite a bit. Tana joins a bit underleveled (although it isn't nearly as bad as Amelia's, Ross' or Marisa's starting situation), but her growths are pretty damn good. Syrene is a bit too little too late, but her growth rates are actually surprisingly good. I'll concede that she's still not that great, though.

Edited by ping

^Ah, my mistake about the growth rates of the Trainees. But, still, they can turn out to be great units, as they more levels to train.

And about Syrene, she's not too good when she first joins, but thankfully some level ups can fix her up. Tana is the best out of the three peg knights: doesn't suffer from bad strength, and has good Speed and Skill. Vanessa is not too bad, but her strength is rather...meh. At least her Speed and other stats are good, so she is capable of fighting.

When I play, I mop the floor with the peg knights. (Syrene is less useful, but I have used her to triangle attack on occasion).

For ground units, I've noticed good things from the Lords, Amelia (but only if you're willing to push through her Trainee and early Cavalier stages), Lute, and Gerik. Kyle has also found himself on my top five in my first run, but really, one, maybe two, horses is enough.

As for units I've used but didn't like... Cormag doesn't really feel like a flier to me (though I'd imagine he'd make a good wall), and as a peg lover, that's a strike against him. My conventional swordmasters/assassins don't like me much (in this game, that's Joshua and Marisa). And I also have to give honourable mention to Artur, who's problematic showings for me have only been excarbated by being put next to Lute.

It's more of a question of who NOT to train, since you've got skirmishes and means outside of the story to level your units up. Sacred Stones is easy enough such that anyone can be of use, so if your goal is just to stomp everything, use Seth.

• 1 month later...