And Fates Worst Character Award Goes To...

~Inigo~

I love Camilla, but I understand why people don't like her...the game didn't help flesh her out and explain her behavior properly, so a lot of my fondness toward her comes from reading between the lines/headcanon more than game-included context...plus all the fanservice u-g-h.

Unit: Gunter. Just. Gunter, your STATS...you're not even usable in Birthright at ALL. You come back in Chapter 15 of Conquest. You lose out on your ability to support in Revelations. Just. Just why. Though, Nyx is a close second given how dang frail she is, and how she can barely hit the broad side of a barn. Even if she can, it takes some investment to get her to do any real damage output. By then, she's probably being outshined by either Odin, Ophelia (if someone has her), or Leo. I'm trying to use her in Revelations but I'm terrified to let her be in proximity of ANYTHING for EP.

Portrayal: Oof. Oh boy. This is a doozy because I have some feelings about which characters are not portrayed well. FIRST THE DISHONORABLE MENTIONS: Xander (Are you kidding me buddy you're the crown prince and you're THIS delusional about your father's condition/country's situation??). Ryoma ("Brb guys I need to waltz off to help with this NOHRIAN rebellion instead of taking my responsibilities of soon-to-be-crowned king seriously...also DID YOU ALL KNOW NOHR SUFFERS FROM FAMINE I DID NOT LEARN THIS DURING MY TIME HERE. IN NOHR. WITH THE NOHRIANS."). Every Corrinsexual except Scarlet and Flora ("Hello I'm a potentially interesting character with my own motivations, struggles, and experiences but none of that is important since I can only support the super appealing avatar, and thus my thoughts and feelings about many situations aren't relevant past my initial introduction since no one really talks about me existing"). The villains ("MWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!! We're so evil >:)!!").

For real now, the first (err, I guess third place?) would be Peri. Oof. Peri. Given what I'd heard about Peri from people who'd been playing the Japanese version, I knew IS hadn't...handled her tactfully. I'm not going to say too much about her, since my reasons for finding her portrayal to be so terrible have been discussed previously in the thread. The only thing I will say that I find disgusting is that at least two of her S Supports entirely excuse her behavior for the sake of "I love you/I'm attracted to you so it's okay that you act like this at the end of the day, even though I normally would be disgusted by these actions". Just...no. No, no, no.

Second, Corrin. Ah, yes. Dear, naive Corrin with an oddly inhuman aptitude to pick up any skill at a rapid pace. The true prince(ss) of Hoshido that was kidnapped at a young age and locked away in Nohr. Who also apparently the entire universe bows and caters to? Aside from the extreme favoritism of the universe, and how no one ever blames their inability to properly handle many situations, I have other issues with Corrin. Corrin, for SOME reason, is both the Lord and Strategist of this game. That's ridiculous as it is...but then there's their support with Leo. You don't even get Leo until Chapter 14 in Conquest and 17 in Revelations. And yet, in the B Support, Leo comments Corrin's strategies will get people killed. Yet, in ALL routes, Corrin is the one leading armies. Corrin. Who Leo, a brilliant strategist, comments is garbage at coming up with strategies to keep a lot of people alive. Leads. The armies. Mmkay, gaaaame... Not to mention is apparently a walking, talking embodiment of sex appeal because eveeeeryone wants to get a slice of Corrin (I understand this is an issue more with the marriage mechanic than Corrin, but when you have units that have no other POINT than to get in their pants...we have a problem). Not to mention, Corrin's character is meant to be so nice but there were instances I found them...really mean? Odin's support in-particular and Felicia's C-Support are just...Corrin stop this immediately and go pick up a book on social etiquette you're hurting feelings, and your apologies seem half-hearted at BEST when you continuously make the same mistakes with multiple people.

Last, Azura. When I first saw Azura's design, I was struck. She was beautiful and enchanting and I wanted--no, NEEDED--to know more about her. Who was she? Why did the trailers show two costumes for her? Was she a double agent? Did she betray one of the kingdoms?! I had to know! And then Fates came out and she became known as the walking (and sometimes, singing) plot device with an even more baffling ability to make terrible decisions than Corrin. Just...how? She only tells the cast (mainly Corrin) about anything helpful when the plot allows for it. She's mysterious more for the sake of it than any form of credibility that there are certain things you can't discuss unless at the right time/place. I mean, you're a DANCER. You can't dance for Corrin to convey what you need to? Perhaps this is a worldbuilding fault, but it reflects poorly on Azura all the same. Her ability to notice details is, again, dictated only by plot convenience (I'm specifically eying Conquest Chapter 13 and calling bs)...which makes her intelligence and awareness to the situations around her spotty at best. Her detached responses to absolutely everything (with few exceptions) made it hard for me to like her character, and even when the game was trying to explain why she reacted/felt the way she did...I just really couldn't look past how Azura's potential went out with the ocean's gray waves.

...I'm sorry that was so long...if you read all that, thank you. :'D

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I have time, I might edit this post to elaborate more and maybe include more characters, but for now, I'm going to say...Rhajat, with Zero and Pieri vying for second/third.  I ended up picking Rhajat as the worst for many reasons, some of which stem back to Tharja.  It took me far too long to realize that Rhajat was just Tharja scrambled, but then it all made sense...

I swear, I BETTER NOT accidentally summon either of them in FE Heroes.  I feel like that psycho has been haunting us since Awakening.

Edited by mewyeon

52 minutes ago, mewyeon said:

When I have time, I might edit this post to elaborate more and maybe include more characters, but for now, I'm going to say...Rhajat, with Zero and Pieri vying for second/third.  I ended up picking Rhajat as the worst for many reasons, some of which stem back to Tharja.  It took me far too long to realize that Rhajat was just Tharja scrambled, but then it all made sense...

I swear, I BETTER NOT accidentally summon either of them in FE Heroes.  I feel like that psycho has been haunting us since Awakening.

Not understanding why that she is so popular when she abused her child and that she is everywhere. (Plegia and Hoshido)

On 26-1-2017 at 1:34 AM, RedRob said:

So I'm just going to bring up a character that while isn't the worst character in game, is one I dislike that hasn't been covered before. Reina. She's like the Hoshidian version of Hans or Peri. She's a sadist who loves to hear the cries of her enemies, yet was somehow retainer to Emmeryn 2.0. She's just out of place compared to the Hoshidians that the game likes to portray as having the higher moral ground, and unlike the similar Peri, the game doesn't even try to explain why she's like that. At least Niles and Peri have the excuse of a crappy childhood for their behavior.

I think a difference between the two is that Reina never threatens violence on her allies or noncombatants. Being a sadist to your enemies is somewhat eccentric but as long as Reina keeps it to bandits or invading Nohrians that shouldn't really be a problem.

But threatening violence on her allies or complete strangers is something Peri does often. She wants to murder innocent people and Xander being okay with it reflects poorly at him. Reina's targets not being innocent prevents her behavior from reflecting badly at Mikoto. 

Edited by Etrurian emperor

• 2 weeks later...

Peri is just awful. I don't LOVE most of the characters but I don't dislike them either. Peri though, is just terrible. 

The worst as a unit is NOT Gunter. His bases aren't high enough for him to reliably Jagen (even in chapter 3) and his growths are just...disgusting, but he has a solid niche in Conquest with Forceful Partner.

The worst unit imo is Beruka. Her availability is exactly equal to Camilla's and Camilla outclasses her in every single way. Unlike other outclassed characters (Hana, Hinata, and Setsuna come to mind) who have their uses plus better availability than the ones who outclass them, Beruka has NOTHING over Camilla. Sure, if you train her up she can match Camilla base-stat wise, but why bother when Camilla comes prepromoted and with very good growths? 

I'm gonna join the choir and say that Gunter is the worst unit in terms of gameplay. When you are pretty much useless in the second chapter of Revelation, and not that great beforehand, you have a good contender for the worst unit ever. He's only really decent for pair-up bonuses with the Avatar in Conquest.

But my least favorite unit overall is Male Kana. At least with other units that I don't like, I can tolerate their voices. Kana's voice is nails on a chalkboard for me. Plus, he doesn't really have a personality at all, while say Peri and Yukimura at least have something. Clearly the worst character.

Corrin as a character summed up in 3 words: The Anthony Arc.

Sure, I believed Anthony in my inital playthrough, but I was sheltered to Revelations and believed that he was recruitable because of Awakening's 6 bonus paralouges (Emmeryn, Priam. Yen'fay, Walmart, Gangerel and Pre Camilla) and he reminded of me a character from a tv show I watched, so I went with it. And when I went through the second time for a crossover thing (Digimon) I had a moment where I went "This is not the way that the original would act. Why can't we switch personalities?". This SINGLE.ARC. proved to me that Corrin is a sheltered idiot who can't think straight and has to be asskissed in order to feel special. Normally I find Camilla and Charolette horrible but they have more personality than this brat! Conquest forces this even in more with the whole Takumi and Ryoma thing. I am personally writing a script for the 5th stone in Heroes that's similar to Conquest but without the idiocy. Without the asskissing. No stupidity, just Veronica freeing her kingdom and finally finding happiness.

Azura is almost as bad + being an airhead. When I did the voting thing for Heroes, I chose Scarlet because she needs more love after what Fates did to her. When someone on Google+ (yes I am on there) he was attempting to force people to vote for Azura and I told him that not everyone likes her. Long story short, I got called an idiot and an elitist (I love all games old and new) by a rabid Azura fanboy which added to my case of why I don't like her. She barely does anything, especially in Rev. All she does is sing, be an idiot and state the obvious. Camilla added to the plot as an overprotective sister, and Azura? Nothing. She isn't even good in battle. 

• 2 weeks later...