Scalebound, Platinum Game's Xbox One and PC outing, has been cancelled

The DanMan

Of all the things to find it in the "post a fact about the person above you" thread...

http://www.siliconera.com/2017/01/09/multiple-rumors-suggest-platinumgames-scalebound-canceled/

Squabbles with the higher-ups at Platinum may have had something to do with it (according to rumor), but MS has only just now officially confirmed its' cancellation.

I'm disappointed.

I was really looking forward to it, and while not "hyped" per se definitely had my eyes on it. I despised the amount of bashing it received from the start, with people nitpicking the hell out of it and writing it off due to the MC bearing a moderate resemblance to Nero from DMC4. I wanted to see more of it, see something that would really get me hyped up for it and curb the negative reactions.

This is really a new experience for me; I've never had any investment in a game that has gotten cancelled.

I love Kamiya and all, but I have to admit that this felt like one of the more uninspired projects he's had. Still, it's a shame it was cancelled. I would've loved for him to have surprised me.

The funny thing about that is that Scalebound was the game that he'd wanted to make for some time.

I think that's kinda what fed into its cancellation; rather than having clear-cut limitations, he and his team was let loose to try and create their ultimate game. And, well... was it DMC-esque game la la Bayonetta? Was it an ARPG in the vein of Monster Hunter? Was it an open-world sandbox game? It seemed like there were too many ideas being thrown in; Scalebound never quite defined itself.

The funny thing about that is that Scalebound was the game that he'd wanted to make for some time.

I think that's kinda what fed into its cancellation; rather than having clear-cut limitations, he and his team was let loose to try and create their ultimate game. And, well... was it DMC-esque game la la Bayonetta? Was it an ARPG in the vein of Monster Hunter? Was it an open-world sandbox game? It seemed like there were too many ideas being thrown in; Scalebound never quite defined itself.

Exactly. It wanted to be so much that it just ended up looking like nothing. If it was his dream game I hope someone else can pick it up and give him the funding, if he's willing to give it a little more focus of course.

I don't even own an Xbone, but I have to say this was heartbreaking news to me. Setting aside statements about the imagined quality of an unfinished game, this game was Platinum's first big project that wasn't based on a licensed property in a while. As a company they were putting a lot of their eggs in this basket, and now they'll have to make some serious cutbacks. I love Platinum games, and while the last game of theirs I bought was a heartbreaking dud (RIP TMNT) they have an impressive enough catalog of work behind them that I still look forward to whatever they do in the future.

Edited by Omegaprism

• 6 months later...

This cancellation, after Fable Legends got canceled too, had me feeling like dropping my XBONE from my second floor balcony... which I didn't do for obvious reasons. :')

I mean this game had me soooo hyped from the moment I laid eyes on it first because dragons HNNG. I enjoyed the heck outta Bayonetta, got a lot of replay value from it too and judging from the trailers, I think this game would've been at least as good so much better! I had no idea it got so much hate though and was very disappointed when it got canceled. Nowadays I'm even considering giving up on MS consoles because of the Switch and they keep shitting on their exclusives especially Fable, which is the only reason I went there anyway.

7 hours ago, Dogla said:

This cancellation, after Fable Legends got canceled too, had me feeling like dropping my XBONE from my second floor balcony... which I didn't do for obvious reasons. :')

I mean this game had me soooo hyped from the moment I laid eyes on it first because dragons HNNG. I enjoyed the heck outta Bayonetta, got a lot of replay value from it too and judging from the trailers, I think this game would've been at least as good so much better! I had no idea it got so much hate though and was very disappointed when it got canceled. Nowadays I'm even considering giving up on MS consoles because of the Switch and they keep shitting on their exclusives especially Fable, which is the only reason I went there anyway.

You are in luck. Fable Fortune is coming to steam this month!

Edited by Magical CC

8 hours ago, Magical CC said:

You are in luck. Fable Fortune is coming to steam this month!

You sir, just made my day! :KnollRoll: