Well-loved games that you couldn't get into

Parrhesia

Look, sometimes it happens. Sometimes, despite everyone telling you how great the Legend of Zelda is, it's just not, okay? Not to you. And that's your opinion and it's fine. Lowkey it's my opinion and it's fine.

Most of the mainline Final Fantasy series as well, while I'm hijacking the OP into my opinions. Just suffering because JRPGs as a whole never 'clicked' for me. And, hell, I'll probably think of more later.

edit: it's probably worth mentioning that most platformers fit into this because I'm literally bad enough to game over in the first world of Super Mario World. yeah. #confessions

So, thread, what games are well-loved... by other people? And is there a reason you cut against the grain, or was it just Not Good to you?

Don't bash other people for their preferences here. This is the darkworld twin of Rezzy's original thread with the opposite premise.

Edited by Parrhesia

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not a fan of The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. I find it really dull and I just can't find myself wanting to play it at all. Unlike Majora's Mask and The Wind Waker, which I find to be the most enjoyable and best Zelda games to play, OoT doesn't live up to their levels of badassery.

Sure, I can acknowledge it's a good game. But I don't find it very fun.

I haven't completed Pokemon Sun & Moon yet, but as of now it's one of my least favourite generations in a while. I'm not really a fan of the focus on Lillie and Nebby (I'm not really a fan of these two), I like the game when it's me doing my thing because it's the only time the game feels like my adventure.

Soulsborne games. Well, I've only tried Dark Souls 2. Beat the first two bosses (or what I'm presuming are the first two, anyway), and I realised then the game wasn't clicking for me. So I imagine those kind of games just aren't for me.

Wind Waker is the biggest one. Couldn't have fun with it, despite being a Zelda fan. Dungeons are my favorite part of Zelda, but wind waker's are few, simple, mediocre and unmemorable. The sailing was boring and while there was a lot to explore, i just didn't find the exploration fun, like, at all. Then there was the triforce quest, that i don't eventhink i need to talk about.

There's also Radiant Dawn. I'll just quote myself here, since i've already explained why i think its the worst fire emblem before.

I find this one just terrible. Like, the dawn brigade maps are fun and challenging (with some exceptions. One Survives is atrocious), but for me the rest of it is just unsalvageable. To start with, I dislike its concept. Changing teams isn't what I want in a fire emblem game, specially when some of them have such low availability. Then you have the extreme tedious and long enemy and allied units phases, that manage to be huge even with (map) animations turned off. Seriously, some of the bigger ones are enough to make me snooze. Then you have the map design, which in some chapters are so terrible they're capable of making the worst in Awakening look good. It has what is in my opinion the worst disgrace of a map to ever be featured on Fire Emblem, Geoffrey's Charge, that manages to be extremely easy, but also long and tedious, including the already mentioned long enemy and allied unit phases, a myriad of weak enemies that offer no threat to you and that must be avoided in order to get the best bonuses. Even the chapters that are often praised in this game aren't good IMO. Like, Elincia's gambit is often showed as an "example" of good defense map, but it's barely one, being EASILY beaten in like 2 turn by defeating the boss, and From Pain Awakening is literally like every late game Awakening map; a bunch of enemies spread through an open field map that you must kill and nothing else. It's so Awakening it even has that on its name, but without the fast engine. Then you have the boring part 4 and endgame maps.

I also can't get into Monster Hunters. It just bores me. Edited by Nobody

Soulsborne games. Well, I've only tried Dark Souls 2. Beat the first two bosses (or what I'm presuming are the first two, anyway), and I realised then the game wasn't clicking for me. So I imagine those kind of games just aren't for me.

if that's worth anything, Dark Souls 2 is considered to be the worst of them all, and IMO it's not even close.

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Fire Emblem Awakening, Touhou Koumakyou ~ The Embodiment of Scarlet Devil, Final Fantasy VI (and FF in general as a result of how much I disliked this), Touhou Hisoutensoku, and Dragon Quest III are probably the standouts.

Mostly because of boredom, really, or a particularly disliked mechanic in the case of FF and TH12.3.

Sometimes, despite everyone telling you how great the Legend of Zelda is, it's just not, okay? Not to you. And that's your opinion and it's fine.

I cannot agree with this more. None of the Zelda games I've ever played have clicked with me. I got so frustrated at getting stuck in the big open world, not knowing what to do, not knowing how to solve a dungeon's puzzles, you name it.

That, and I cannot take Link's outfit seriously and would rather not go wandering around in a game world with a character dressed up like... that (even if his outfit has become iconic over the decades).

On a similar note, Metroid is another series I really cannot get into for the similar reasons as Zelda, in terms of getting stuck/lost very often.

And the last one that comes to mind is LittleBigPlanet (I'll admit, I've only played the first one, so I'm not sure if the 2nd or 3rd one fixed the things I didn't like). The photorealistic atmosphere just looks dull and boring to me, the moves and abilities Sackboy has seems so limited compared to other platformers (eg: no projectiles, no melee attacks that hit from the side), and I found the sparsity of enemies in levels to be rather disappointing (maybe other platformers spoiled me in that aspects). I really did want to like the game, though, especially with platformers being my most favourite game genre.

Look, sometimes it happens. Sometimes, despite everyone telling you how great the Legend of Zelda is, it's just not, okay? Not to you. And that's your opinion and it's fine. Lowkey it's my opinion and it's fine.

yeah i don't like the Legend of Zelda either

the only one i like is wind waker which was also the only one i finished

Zelda: The Wind Waker and Zelda: Majora's Mask are the big ones for me. I can kind of see why people like the latter, but I dislike both a lot, especially the former. I despise TWW with a passion because I felt it was too easy and boring and had no good dungeons whatsoever. The sea also felt too empty and many of the islands felt empty aside from one little treasure chest. Some didn't actually have anything at all and were only there for the sake of it.

In MM's case, I just didn't like the dungeons (except Stone Tower, that one was epic), the three-day limit is annoying, and I didn't like how short the main story was. It's riddled with so much optional content that the main game suffers. I'm all for sidequests and such as much as the next Zelda gamer, but there's a balance that should be made between main story stuff and side content and I don't feel MM reached that. I also wasn't too fond of many of the characters, though I did like how they had their own schedules and daily lives and problems that Link could help them solve.

I also don't like FE7 or gen 3 of Pokemon and they seem to have a lot of fans. FE7 just has bland gameplay, story, and characters to me, and Pokemon gen 3 had terrible Pokemon designs and an annoying region, imo.

if that's worth anything, Dark Souls 2 is considered to be the worst of them all, and IMO it's not even close.

So I've read. I do have a PS4 now, so if I can find Bloodborne somewhere cheap, I might give that a shot, since from what I understand, that's a bit different from the Dark Souls games.

the only one i like is wind waker which was also the only one i finished

good opinion, this

only one worth finishing :smug:

(well I recommend you try out Majora's Mask, The Minish Cap, and the Oracles, those are solid games, too)

Oh, and another game I don't like at all is Touhou 8: Imperishable Night. Bland gameplay for the most part, boring patterns, and it's just not very fun overall for me. There's some cool things in the game, but it's still my least favorite game in the series.

Edited by Zeems

Luigi's Mansion and Majora's Mask are two that come to mind immediately. I am a big fan of Legend of Zelda, but Majora's Mask was 100% dark and creepy with almost no good. Plus, as almost ashamed as I am to admit it, it gave me nightmares when I was young (as in 5 or 6 years old, and at the same time none of Ocarina of Time did not bother me at all). Luigi's Mansion was rather non-linear (and not in a good way) plus all the fake doors and other things discouraged exploration for me rather than encouraging it. Plus, Mario Game levels with Boos in a haunted Mansion setting is one thing, but nothing but a haunted mansion is not something I enjoy. I was older at that point, so no nightmares that time.

I'm sure there are a few other games, but I cannot think of them right now.

Pokemon Sun/Moon. I don't hate the game, but I just couldn't really get into it.

The hand-holding at the beginning was annoying, and I'm not too fond of Lillie...but she's kind of everywhere in the plot.

oh yeah the plaza thing sucks imo pss was waaaaaay better

Edited by Loocarioh

I'm not a fan of most Mario games… Not particularly good at platforming… Not to mention I wanted some plot beyond "beat Bowser and save the Princess". Some of the spinoff games avert this, though…

The Wii in general… I know a lot of people love this little device, but I personally didn't care for it, even if some of the games were good… Reason being is that I have trouble with motion, so motion controls were big trouble for me…

Got into the Zelda series very late, but I love it, so it doesn't entirely go on here…

Can't seem to get into Metriod… Which might not be a bad thing seeing as the series is just about dead anyway…

Didn't really like Fates that much… Also don't understand why FE4 is considered the best in the series… Big maps and sheer imbalance with holy weapon users ruined it for me…

Pick an MMO. Any MMO. I just can't seem to get into them... There's one I'm doing right now (Flight Rising), but even then it doesn't hold my interest as much as other games…

Any of the popular games that happened to be M-rated (e.g. call of duty).

Shin Megami Tensi, other than Devil Survivor… Don't know what it is with these games, but they just don't captivate me…

As for the Pokémon franchise, I didn't like Black/White all that much but enjoyed their sequels… And absolutely hated X/Y and ORAS… Sun and Moon is mainly, good, but not great, attitude… Also, if fangames count, neither Pokémon Uranium nor Pokémon Prism lived up to the hype…

I cannot for the life of me, get into Tactics Ogre, despite enjoying FFT (which was inspired by TO in the first place), and really liking the Ogre Battle series, I feel like Tactics strayed much too far from what I liked in the original Battle games, in terms of how they play, which I still find some of the more unique in a Tactical RPG to this day.

Tactics Ogre is a great series, but I just can't stick with it like I can Ogre Battle (2 of my favorite games of all time Ogre Battle March of the Black Queen and 64, Person of a Lordly Calibur)

Edited by Jedi The Red

good opinion, this

only one worth finishing :smug:

(well I recommend you try out Majora's Mask, The Minish Cap, and the Oracles, those are solid games, too)

i have tried those aside from minish cap and i did not enjoy any of the three

Zelda and Mario games generally are ones that I can't "get into", but Final Fantasy VIII I specifically loathe - even if it has more of a polarising opinion.

there are some people who like final fantasy VIII but i feel like "well-loved" would be pushing it

no one I know likes it and i'm fairly sure most people consider it one of the worst games in the series

there are some people who like final fantasy VIII but i feel like "well-loved" would be pushing it

no one I know likes it and i'm fairly sure most people consider it one of the worst games in the series

from what i've read online, you'd be surprised

gen 3 of Pokemon and they seem to have a lot of fans. Pokemon gen 3 had terrible Pokemon designs and an annoying region, imo.

Holy crap, someone who doesn't scream for their love of Gen 3!

I have to admit Gen 3 is one of my least favourite gens overall, because Hoenn is not a fun region to me overall (My opinions on the designs varies). Then again, I didn't play it when it came out, so I'd played Gen 4 first.

Me, I just couldn't get into any Mario title (I mean, just never did. Might be I started with 3D platformers as a kid), and trying Dragon Quest didn't work out (I tried DQ9, and I didn't think it was much) as a few examples.

As for the Pokémon franchise, I didn't like Black/White all that much but enjoyed their sequels

Holy crap, I am the same way. Everybody praises B/W for being more story- and character-driven, and I'm just like, "meh." But, the sequels I can play all day, every day for some reason or another. The initial games just felt so slow, and I honestly couldn't be assed to play through it. It didn't help that Cheren and Biance annoyed the hell out of me.