Well-loved games that you couldn't get into

Parrhesia

The Last of Us. I just cannot get into it. I find it boring, and not that great. I've tried multiple times. When last of us 2 got announced I had a meh reaction while everyone else acted like the game was the second coming of Christ. Like holy shit, I just do not get it at all. I find so many other games to be much better story tellers than the Last of Us. Just cannot get into it.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another game I can't get into is Five Nights at Freddy's.

Sure it's scary but I've pretty much gotten over it, and the mini games are the only true horror (scary, at the least, if you think about it). FNAF 1 was scary though, I'll admit.

I guess maybe it's just me preferring to run away from monsters chasing me instead (which is why I find Joy of Creation Reborn, an FNAF fan game, to be good).

Another game I despise is Mad Father, one of the more popularly known RPG maker horror games. I just don't like the basic plot that's going on (girl goes looking for her psycho father in a haunted mansion. Emphasis on the words "psycho father") And the true end wasn't too satisfying either. It's by the same creator of Misao, and while graphically it's better than Misao, it's not as enjoyable as it.

Witch's House still beats all RPG maker horror games though. And maybe Creepypasta Land too (obviously joking, but it was still darn funny)

Another game I can't get into is Five Nights at Freddy's.

Sure it's scary but I've pretty much gotten over it, and the mini games are the only true horror (scary, at the least, if you think about it). FNAF 1 was scary though, I'll admit.

I found that the way FNAF was laid out made it scary initially, but when the game only has one form of scaring you it sort of takes away from the tension. I mean, you know you're gonna get that jump scare, so all you're really doing is sitting there and waiting for it.

On 1/16/2017 at 1:42 AM, MissShake said:

I found that the way FNAF was laid out made it scary
initially
, but when the game only has one form of scaring you it sort of takes away from the tension. I mean, you
know
you're gonna get that jump scare, so all you're really doing is sitting there and waiting for it.

Yeah, it really is. Well, at least the new installment tried to change things up a bit, but it eventually had the same mechanics return near the end.

Honestly speaking though, I like the mini games, except for the ones that came up after finishing a night in FNAF3, but then again, they were just simple.

Despite being a fan of the Metal Gear Solid Series, I could not get into the Assassin's Creed series for the life of me. To much going on,I found it very due. This was playing Revelations mind you so don't know if I picked the right one to start with. 

People liked Dragon Age: Inquistion, and I find it to be a downright bad game, both in terms of writing and gameplay. 

The gameplay tries to blind you with pretty lights, but it's pretty much a masked button masher for the majority of the game. You're also forced to build up special "power" points by making side quests before you can continue with the main one even though that plays no role in the story whatsoever (you need less power to storm a heavily fortified fortress than attending a ball). The zones are vast but offer very little in terms of actual depth, and the side quests are, for the lack of a better word, dumb - the best example I can think of is how there's a sick man who needs medicine only his son can make, but he joined a cult, so what do you do? You go to the cult, talk to the son, get the medicine and then you're done. That's it. 

As for the writing, most characters are stale, cliché or just uninteresting. There are some highlights, certainly, and the banter between the crew has a lot of good, interesting lines, but as a whole they're unmemorable, save for one guy. 

The plot, on the other hand, is all over the place and never becomes better than decent. The villain is a tool with no personality that loses at every turn, and when he finally has had enough, he comes to challenge you alone for some reason and dies. They tried to write an epic tale about the world being on the brink of collapse and countries being mired in politics, weak rulers and corruption...only to show that they pretty much have no idea how either politics work or they just don't know how to frame it.

How this got 10/10 and was nominated for game of the year is beyond me. In addition to all of this, it was littered with bugs when it first came out to the point where some people couldn't even progress the story because unskippable dialogue froze. 

You can argue that Dragon Age II is worse, but then again, few people think it's a good game.

6 minutes ago, Hylian Air Force said:

c22.png6c8.png6d86f963c7d19c9f65bbd8035497293e02a7dbd4

At least it's better and FAAAAR more well written than these losers

home_box_arts.jpg

Conquest's gameplay is vastly superior to Inquisition. Hell, Birthright's is too. I don't want to button mash for like 90% of the game. I can't remember even having fun in that game.

As for the writing, I don't think many people love it. but It also doesn't make Inquisition's writing any better. It's really, really awful.

2 hours ago, Thane said:

Conquest's gameplay is vastly superior to Inquisition. Hell, Birthright's is too. I don't want to button mash for like 90% of the game. I can't remember even having fun in that game.

As for the writing, I don't think many people love it. but It also doesn't make Inquisition's writing any better. It's really, really awful.

Yeah, and while I haven't played... um... any game under discussion of the three, writing's a lot more important in an RPG where it's meant to be driving you through the plot and the gameplay is almost incidental (and, apparently, shallow) compared to a TBS, which. Is just 30 set-pieces packaged together and you can freely mash Start through all dialogue.

1 minute ago, Parrhesia said:

Yeah, and while I haven't played... um... any game under discussion of the three, writing's a lot more important in an RPG where it's meant to be driving you through the plot and the gameplay is almost incidental (and, apparently, shallow) compared to a TBS, which. Is just 30 set-pieces packaged together and you can freely mash Start through all dialogue.

The story of Fates is also meant to drive the player forward. It is also meant to be an engaging journey about an impossible choice and its consequences. It's an exceedingly important element of the game regardless of the genre.

The problem is that it fails. Hard. On almost every level.

4 hours ago, Rend Keaven said:

Despite being a fan of the Metal Gear Solid Series, I could not get into the Assassin's Creed series for the life of me. To much going on,I found it very due. This was playing Revelations mind you so don't know if I picked the right one to start with. 

I played the first one and had a similar opinion, so I'm just gonna assume that the entire series isn't great. I'm not the best at stealth, but at least Metal Gear has an interesting story.

I figured I'd also add that I absolutely hate Skyrim. The fact that it's being ported again reminded me. Like what is it that everyone sees that I don't see?

Edited by MissShake

5 hours ago, MissShake said:

I figured I'd also add that I absolutely hate Skyrim. The fact that it's being ported again reminded me. Like what is it that everyone sees that I don't see?

I guess Skyrim is an acquired taste, maybe? I remember not being impressed by it much when I first encountered it. Then, something changed, and I absolutely love it. Must be the music or something, because the game play, story and side quests have a lot to be desired which are rectified by mods but still.

6 hours ago, MissShake said:

yeah everything about skyrim is bad imo. 

I tried to give Kingdom Hearts a chance, I really did. I played the first one and was having to force myself to slog through it, but by the time I got to Agrabah I gave up completely. I didn't find the gameplay all that fun, nor could I care about anything concerning the cast and what happens to them. Not only that but the fact that the story seemingly gets even MORE convolted in later entries only strengthens my aversion.

I tried to give Xenoblade Chronicle X a chance after i came to greatly enjoy the original Xenoblade. Not to mention my friends found Xenoblade X much more enjoyable over the original Xenoblade.

But nothing about it was really clicking me to the game, i guess. Couldn't get too interested in the story because i wanted to go to gameplay but then gameplay wasn't enough to stick. The music was also odd at moments too kind of weirdly taking me out of the mood at moments.
Maybe one of these days i'll get back to it because i don't like leaving games unfinished for too long, but not anytime soon.

I couldn't get into TWEWY, maybe because I was playing in an emulator and found the controls terrible, maybe because of something I don't even remember/not trying hard enough because it happened a long time ago.

I can't stand the Mega Man Battle Network series, if series count.

Other than that, I find most Nintendo games mildly enjoyable and I roll my eyes when a new Mario/Kirby/Zelda/Pokemon game is announced because they fit into my "kinda enjoyable for some hours but that's as far as it goes" category. I'm pretty much only interested in a few, "unique" titles (like Xenoblade Chronicles and the Bravely series) and FE (or AA, for the handhelds).

Edited by Rapier

- Persona 3. I loved P4, but for some reason, I couldn't get into 3. Probably because it's a little dark for my tastes, and also because some of the characters were either unlikable or just bullshit. "OK, so what else do we have?" "Well, we have a class clown, a bishie, a uptight valley girl, a ten year old..."You know what? Let's add a fucking dog." "..." "Yes. A Persona-using dog." "... BRILLIANT."

- Smash Bros. This has been going on for years: a new Nintendo system comes out, and they say "here, have a fighting game you didn't like when it was an N64 game". And I go "Absolutely! I will pay the maximum MSRP for a game I do not like!" Then two months later, when I confirm that, yes, I do not like Smash, I will return it. Bonus! On the Wii U, I even bought DLC! God, disposable income is dangerous.

- Stardew Valley: I played this game a long time ago. It was called Harvest Moon. I didn't care much for it then, either.

Last, and probably most controversial on this board:

- Fire Emblem Fates. They went backwards on some mechanics, but what really got to me was the story. A lonely 13 year old writing in the fanfiction forum could do better than that Mary Sue/Gary Stu shit. So let me get this straight: my avatar is literally the only person that can either win, or stop this war? And the same people who are desperate to have me back one minute are ready to slit my throat the next, if I make a bad choice? Or, even more laughably, they're both ready to kill me if I go "lol nope" and don't pick a side? And of course, EVERYONE loves My Unit, and he/she is the greatest military and cultural leader to ever walk the world... dear Pesci, I pray they don't bring back My Unit in Echoes. Every game it's been added to, it has detracted from the experience.

I've got a few.

The Bayonetta games are the big ones for me. I actually did beat the first, but over a very long time. Unlike all the other games on this list, I actually can't think of any real criticisms of the games that put them down for me, I just didn't enjoy them, even though it really seems like a series I should enjoy.

Valkyria Chronicles was too sluggish and trial-and-error for me.

Super Mario Galaxy is the Mario that stopped me from playing Mario. Until 3D World, which was good.

Fire Emblem: Thracia 776 just had too many getting-in-my-way mechanics for me to enjoy it.

Assassin's Creed was fun at first, but then it was just the same shit over and over again.

Xenoblade Chronicles I didn't really dislike, but before long I got to a boss that required a chain attack, couldn't pull it off, and stopped playing, which tells me I wasn't really that into it.

Bravely Default was just boring and painful. When I got to a boss that kept killing me, I just stopped.

21 hours ago, Rapier said:

I couldn't get into TWEWY, maybe because I was playing in an emulator and found the controls terrible, maybe because of something I don't even remember/not trying hard enough because it happened a long time ago.

That was one of the problems I faced with TWEWY too. Apparently the music lags on DesMume often or not (for me at least), and I had to use a Optical Mouse because the laptop's own mouse is bad enough to play DS games with.

Thankfully, in my opinion, the story and how the gameplay worked got me hooked to this game.

Edited by Flee Fleet!

4 hours ago, Superbus said:

- Persona 3. I loved P4, but for some reason, I couldn't get into 3. Probably because it's a little dark for my tastes, and also because some of the characters were either unlikable or just bullshit. "OK, so what else do we have?" "Well, we have a class clown, a bishie, a uptight valley girl, a ten year old..."You know what? Let's add a fucking dog." "..." "Yes. A Persona-using dog." "... BRILLIANT."

Persona 3 very much shows Atlus were experimenting with a new style. The overly edgy atmosphere and bare bones relationships between the cast members clashed so hard against sudden fan service scenes like Yakushima. Like you said, it's also very weird that they, in spite of the serious tone they were going for, decided to add a dog, a ten-year-old and a girl whose reason for being so pissed off all the time is her father's death...in a team where, what, everyone but Fuuka has lost at least one parent. 

Another baffling design decision was the inability to have Social Links with the male characters in the original release. If you play as a guy, Akihiko, Ken and Shinjiro suffer a lot for it, leaving pretty much all the male character development to Junpei, whose subplot with Chidori is just odd. Thankfully, at least Shinjiro and Junpei get good Social Links if you play as a girl in the PSP version.

Edited by Thane

16 minutes ago, Thane said:

Persona 3 very much shows Atlus were experimenting with a new style. The overly edgy atmosphere and bare bones relationships between the cast members clashed so hard against sudden fan service scenes like Yakushima. Like you said, it's also very weird that they, in spite of the serious tone they were going for, decided to add a dog, a ten-year-old and a girl whose reason for being so pissed off all the time is her father's death...in a team where, what, everyone but Fuuka has lost at least one parent. 

Another baffling design decision was the inability to have Social Links with the male characters in the original release. If you play as a guy, Akihiko, Ken and Shinjiro suffer a lot for it, leaving pretty much all the male character development to Junpei, whose subplot with Chidori is just odd. Thankfully, at least Shinjiro and Junpei get good Social Links if you play as a girl in the PSP version.

Well, considering the Persona games take a lot of inspiration from JoJo's Bizarre Adventure (Persona are basically Stands, Persona 4 and Diamond is Unbreakable have the exact same premise) it isn't surprising that they'd have a Persona-using dog.  Stardust Crusaders (the part of JoJo where Stands are introduced) had a Stand-using dog on the heroes' side and a Stand-using falcon on the villains' side.

Just now, The Geek said:

Well, considering the Persona games take a lot of inspiration from JoJo's Bizarre Adventure (Persona are basically Stands, Persona 4 and Diamond is Unbreakable have the exact same premise) it isn't surprising that they'd have a Persona-using dog.  Stardust Crusaders (the part of JoJo where Stands are introduced) had a Stand-using dog on the heroes' side and a Stand-using falcon on the villains' side.

I can't comment on something I don't know about, but what I do know is that it doesn't excuse a clash in tone. Persona 4 has its dark moments and its sillier moments, but they're much more intertwined and done with much more finesse; in Persona 3 they go from talking about people's yearning for the release of death, revenge, suicide, tragic pasts...to cute dogs and pick-up line contests.

Aside from having a superior script, Persona 4 also actually brings this point up. Both Naoto and the villain chastise the Investigation Team for playing a game, giving them a chance to admit that their lives will be emptier without their mission, but that they won't falter and actually do take what they're doing very seriously. Junpei has a similar theme in his growth, which is again what makes him a much more relatable character than pretty much everyone of the main cast in Persona 3.

20 hours ago, Superbus said:

-Last, and probably most controversial on this board:

- Fire Emblem Fates. They went backwards on some mechanics, but what really got to me was the story. A lonely 13 year old writing in the fanfiction forum could do better than that Mary Sue/Gary Stu shit. So let me get this straight: my avatar is literally the only person that can either win, or stop this war? And the same people who are desperate to have me back one minute are ready to slit my throat the next, if I make a bad choice? Or, even more laughably, they're both ready to kill me if I go "lol nope" and don't pick a side? And of course, EVERYONE loves My Unit, and he/she is the greatest military and cultural leader to ever walk the world... dear Pesci, I pray they don't bring back My Unit in Echoes. Every game it's been added to, it has detracted from the experience.

My dude, if you think this is controversial here, you havent been lurking enough. In fact, loving Fates' story or enjoying any aspect of the narrative is likely the unpopular opinion. 

I forgot about Five Nights At Freddy's, probably because of how goddamn forgettable the experience was. It wasnt scary unless you have some kind of phobia of animatronics. The scares were a little too infantile for my tastes. The gameplay, while unique, was a bit obnoxious to me. I found this game horribly overrated and found it hilarious how the games began being marketed to children despite that not being the initial intent.