Well-loved games that you couldn't get into

Parrhesia

Most of the Zelda and Mario games. The ones I've played longer (Wind Waker, Minish Cap, Seasons and Skyward Sword for the first and 3D Land, Sunshine and one of the paper mario games for the latter) I liked well enough, but can't really get into more.

Minecraft

Assassin's Creed

Final Fantasy series

Kingdom Hearts main/console games. Some of the spin-off or side games on handhelds I enjoyed though.

Not sure if this is popular or unpopular in general, but all my friends love Eternal Sonata and I just can't get into it.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jet Set Radio

Played the hell out of the neversoft era Tony Hawk, and bought this game in 2013 or so, but it just wasn't the same experience. I did have fun with how over the top the enemies were though.

Did you play the first one or Future? Cuz I'm with you if you're talking about the OG, that game has aged terribly.

Xenoblade Chronicles X

I played the original for about an hour originally and left it on my shelf for years after that. Shortly before X I picked the original up again and I loved every second of it. So my hopes where pretty high for X.

Sadly the bland story and boring/cringeworthy cast did't do it for me. Combat was still fun, but the many design flaws of game stopped me from enjoying it. Forced character selections, running around the entire city to change characters and the bad tutorials started testing my patience. I stopped during some mission where the area was tainted because an overleveled supermonster kept one shotting me on the way over there. I finally arrived....and was immediately one shotted by the story monster I was supposed to fight. After that I did't feel like playing anymore.

Xenoblade Chronicles X

I played the original for about an hour originally and left it on my shelf for years after that. Shortly before X I picked the original up again and I loved every second of it. So my hopes where pretty high for X.

Sadly the bland story and boring/cringeworthy cast did't do it for me. Combat was still fun, but the many design flaws of game stopped me from enjoying it. Forced character selections, running around the entire city to change characters and the bad tutorials started testing my patience. I stopped during some mission where the area was tainted because an overleveled supermonster kept one shotting me on the way over there. I finally arrived....and was immediately one shotted by the story monster I was supposed to fight. After that I did't feel like playing anymore.

This is pretty much my feelings on Xenoblade X as well. Combat's fun at times, being able to switch classes on the fly is nice, some of the characters are fine and exploring's fun, but Elma's boring and Lin's obnoxious, being stuck with them for the entire main story is just a bad decision, combat has regressed since the original Xenoblade, the tutorials are pretty bad, the actual monster distribution is baffling, the bosses aren't anywhere approaching balanced, and everyone but Elma firmly lives in the uncanny valley.

Edited by AzureSen

Is Xenoblade X even all that loved? I think it actually performed relatively badly for what they were expecting and I haven't seen much praise for it at all since the hype died down.

I can't get into older Zelda games. I keep trying with the original and Zelda 2, and Zelda 2 is slightly more compelling but the difficulty and lack of direction prevents me from enjoying the games. I also have difficulties with Link's Awakening due to the controls and hitboxes being a bit more tight than I enjoy. I like watching other people play them, though. In general I dislike playing NES games even if I like watching them because so many of them are designed to be aggressively hard. Mario 1-3 (excluding Lost Levels) may be the exceptions but I'm still pretty bad at it.

Other than having a dislike for old games even if they are considered classics, I also disliked playing World of Warcraft despite getting to a raiding level in that game. I just hate the aesthetic and I think the fantasy games that copy the art style are just not attractive. I don't like the colours, I don't like the goofy proportions, I don't like the overreliance on pop culture to drive the story and the world in general. The gameplay is fine but everything that supports the gameplay has always grated on me. I would rather play a mechanically worse game that has a better aesthetic. Right now I'm a giant FFXIV addict, which has very similar gameplay to WoW, but because I like the graphics and story more I'm waaaay deep into that game while I dropped WoW the moment my friends stopped organizing raids on a regular basis. And this was back before it was "cool" to hate on WoW. I started during the Wrath of the Lich King era and dropped the game almost immediately because I was enjoying Ragnarok Online waaay more. I came back to it later but yeah, no attachment, no urge to resub for any expansions past Cataclysm.

Oh yeah, I'm bad at platformers, but I especially have no love for Sonic games. I think all of them are janky and lacking in quality compared to Mario. Doesn't matter what era, Mario has always had superior games to Sonic. The only good thing about Sonic is the music.

Is Xenoblade X even all that loved? I think it actually performed relatively badly for what they were expecting and I haven't seen much praise for it at all since the hype died down.

I don't hear too much about it anymore, but I remember it was pretty well liked and that the game got several awards when the game came out.

Edited by Sasori

I don't hear too much about it anymore, but I remember it was pretty well liked and that the game got several awards when the game came out.

What awards? The game fell off the general media's radar, lost best RPG this year to a piece of a DLC, and is pretty niche. I personally like X (yeah the story is worse but it's not that bad and the part that is most important is massively improved imo, the gameplay and exploration as the original was just a linear RPG with way too big fields) more but that is definitely the unpopular opinion, that being said I do not love Xenoblade Chronicles nearly as much as everyone else did. Edited by Locke087

There's a lot of people who like it; you just hear from them less because of how (over)hyped/nostalgia-goggled the first game is and X's different direction.

There's a lot of people who like it; you just hear from them less because of how (over)hyped/nostalgia-goggled the first game is and X's different direction.

Is a game that came out about 6 years ago.... and quite frankly a game most people probably didn't even hear about till about 2 to 3 years ago really considered "nostalgia-goggled"? I don't disagree about the overhyped thing. Especially since the gameplay is definitely not everyone's cup of tea.

As far as X goes, I don't think it is "disliked", but a lot of people prefer the original. One of the problems I have with X is the fact that you have 24 or so teammates and 2 of them are required for every story mission. Allowing you to bring only 1 extra person

Edited by DarkDestr0yer61

pokemon games - they're fun as nostalgic trips, and can appreciate that they're well made, but i'm definitely not the target audience for those anymore. curious about sun/moon though.

moba's like league of legends make no sense to me

the witcher games - this game is for adults obviously, because it has SEX and POLITICS

the elder scrolls games are all terrible imo - bland fantasy aesthetic, bad voice acting/dialogue, awkward combat, etc.

Does Prince of Persia count? The original one? I seem to recall a lot of fondness for that game, but I tried it albeit on Gameboy Color and I just didn't care for it that much.

The Pokemon games. I tried to play the GBC ones but the graphics are so old I can't even adapt to them.

I tried HeartGold for the DS but the start was pretty boring and it glitched out many times. Maybe I can try Black and White later, to see if it's way better, otherwise Pokemon is just a franchise I don't really care about.

I guess Super Robot Wars Original Generations 1 and 2 also counts? I barely am able to read the story when I don't even understand what the heck is going on. This is especially a problem in OG2, where I just wish there was an immediate skip button to the next level. OG1 has the problem of having one of it's protagonists a freaking cliche of a horrible character, who has an even less catchy battle theme than the rest of the cast. OG1 also has the problem of "cliches everywhere syndrome" for at least 4 or 3 chapters.

At least the gameplay is great, and enjoyable.

Edited by Flee Fleet!

I think Sonic 1 is a bad game. Green Hill Zone is good, but far too much of the game is devoted to precision platform ing, which is a terrible idea for Sonic. Marble Zone is where I stopped playing after reading that it didn't get any better. Sonic 2, on the other hand, is a great game, and one of my favorite games ever.

The Witcher 2...and also The Witcher 3. I'm not sure exactly what the problem is- maybe I don't like having a forced main character in RPGs where I usually have a choice.

Witcher 2's protagonist is so off putting to me its ridiculous. He makes my skin crawl a little. Maybe its cuz im kinda sick of protags like this in games meant for mature audiences. I dunno. The game itself, im having trouble with cuz i just simply dont know how to play it very well. Im sure its a lovely game but this protag...

Zelda and Mario games generally are ones that I can't "get into", but Final Fantasy VIII I specifically loathe - even if it has more of a polarising opinion.

I despite, and i mean, despise FFVIII. Its one of my most hated games ever. So you aint alone, my mang. Its just wretched and i couldnt stand the characters.

Final Fantasy in general, only a handful of games (4, 6, 7, and 9) did i even like let alone enjoy playing. I stopped even playing the series after FFX cuz i hated that one so much. I lost a lot of faith in the franchise after that. The latest game looks entertaining but im like ehhhhhhh.

Kingdom Hearts. I really hate Kingdom Hearts. It was a bit cavity inducing just trying to play the first game. Square style JRPG protags with Disney? To some, this is paradise. To me, its saccharine rubbish. Plus the gameplay irritated me. Holy shit Donald Duck stop dying.

Legend of Zelda and Final Fantasy are the main ones that come to mind when questions like this are asked. I don't find the gameplay in LoZ to be engaging or deep, and with Final Fantasy I'd rather play other JRPGs that I personally think do combat/exploration/story better.

I despite, and i mean, despise FFVIII. Its one of my most hated games ever. So you aint alone, my mang. Its just wretched and i couldnt stand the characters.

Yeah, it's weird they made you go through Triple Triad's angst-nime RPG minigame for a couple of hours before you could start to cards properly.

is ffviii well loved? i don't know what the consensus is, but i see a lot of praise specifically for 6, 7, and 9, which skips right over 8.

No. FFVIII is not loved. Primarily because the story is just... Weird. Like... I can't even begin to describe the story without seemingly going into a rant. The gameplay is in the same boat. It has some interesting ideas but overall is just ... Easily breakable, and the worst part, is that if you don't break it? It breaks you.

Yeah, I happen to like FFVIII but it's completely understandable to not like it. The pacing is weird, most of the characters are unlikeable, and really even the players who DO like just play it for Triple Triad. It's kind of a funny legacy that Triple Triad is the most beloved FF minigame, so much so that it appears in other games and as a mobile app. I sometimes feel more people hate FFVIII than they hate FFXIII, and to me that feels weird because I find FFXIII to have an even worse story... Well I guess in general the most hated FF will probably remain 2 for many reasons, though.

I'd say XIII is more hated than II by virtue of two being a lot older and thus a lot less people care to even try it out or forgive it its fault. The inverse of that is due to a larger fanbase XIII happens to be highly hated but also devoutly loved by a number of people.

they really just need to release a bundle on steam that's just all the FF minigames, i would probably unironically spend $10 on a more polished blitzball