Well-loved games that you couldn't get into

Parrhesia

12 hours ago, Busterman64 said:

Let's see... 

• Megaman (Original and X specifically)...like Crash, I enjoy watching others play it, but I don't have much interest. I played the original 1,2, & maybe 3, and  X7 & X8, which are pretty alright, but I never had much interest in the others much(I've only BEATEN X7 though). What's weirder is that I've played and enjoy the Zero series...it's weird, I know. Although, to be fair, I jumped into (and grew up with the) Megaman series with Battle Network(love that series), so maybe that has something to do with it...or I should just sit down and give'em another go.

Please give X 1-4 (5 is also good) a chance before judging the X series 6-8 are not good games its like judging the merits of Metroid by Other M, or Sonic by Sonic 06. Give one of those 4 games a shot first! Also if you liked the Zero series I recommend giving Megaman ZX a shot as well. 

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Locke087 said:

Please give X 1-4 (5 is also good) a chance before judging the X series 6-8 are not good games its like judging the merits of Metroid by Other M, or Sonic by Sonic 06. Give one of those 4 games a shot first! Also if you liked the Zero series I recommend giving Megaman ZX a shot as well. 

Oh no, no, no. Sorry, I should've explained better! It's more of a lack of interest to play them as whole then X7 or X8's fault(...its a pretty petty and not really a good reason honestly). Believe it or not, I actually like X7(even though it isn't that great). Like I've said, I've seen the games in action and enjoyed watching them. It's just playing them myself is when the issue arises. Then again, I just haven't really sat down and played them(I think its just my tastes for 2D platforms not being so great and growing up with mainly 3D platformers. I don't have many under my belt, so it honestly could just be that I'm sticking with how I felt about them before and not seeing if I hold the same opinion now. Like how I use to dislike Metroid, but some time later, I gave it a good shot, and I greatly enjoyed it and like the series to this day......if that makes enough sense).

I'll give them a shot when I can(because quite honestly, if I can enjoy the Zero series, I can find some enjoyment in the X games). Although...I know for a fact that X6 is full of bullcrap and cheapness(in the words of a commentator I watch, "this game cheats, so I like to cheat back!". A.K.A. uses cheat code for Black Zero. Oh, and the fact that you could possibly not beat the final stages without a jump upgrade), X7 (while I like it) is not super interesting(and I understand why some don't like it), and X8 is kinda alright, but still has its bullcrap moments(screw the UFO-looking reploid you chase in the city. He's the main reason I haven't beaten X8 as of yet because I always die in the chase and have never gotten to the dang boss fight).

From what I've seen, X1 seems the most balanced and kinda straightforward, 2 seems pretty ok, and 3 & 4 seem like mixed bags depending on the person.:Joshua:

On ‎27‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 1:14 PM, Euklyd said:

- FFVII and FFXII, both of which I enjoyed but then never really felt any strong pull to continue. As a rule I don't generally enjoy "standard" JRPG battle systems unless they have something extra to keep me interested (Trails in the Sky, Baten Kaitos, Golden Sun) or a legitimately superb plot / characters (Xenoblade, Trails in the Sky, Baten Kaitos), and neither FF really stood out in that regard.
I intend to continue both, since I did enjoy them. I just didn't enjoy them enough. I haven't tried any other mainline FFs to compare (FFXIV doesn't count).
Not counted as "standard" battle systems: any TRPG / SRPG, fast paced action gameplay (TWEWY, Kingdom Hearts).

Out of curiosity, may I ask you at what point of FFXII you have arrived?

I can se why you would be turned off from it tough, especially if you are in the early game.

Anyway, I really tried to like Bravely Default but I just couldn't: the gameplay was fun and all, but I really disliked every character aside from Ringbell and the story just wasn't able to keep me interested.

12 hours ago, The Malign Knight said:

Out of curiosity, may I ask you at what point of FFXII you have arrived?

I can se why you would be turned off from it tough, especially if you are in the early game.

Shortly after getting Gigas Belias, iirc. I wasn't suuuper earlygame, but I definitely don't think I was that far in. That being said, I don't think you would see why I dropped it, because I actually really enjoyed FFXII.

I took a break because of a new job, then had to prioritize between FFXII and Super Smash Bros. tournaments. I chose the latter. Since then I never really picked it back up; it fell into the classic trap that most console games hit for me: "ok this is fun but I'd rather play smash bros"

The game that immediately comes to mind for me is Final Fantasy VII. I tried playing it a few times now, starting with the original PS1 version back in the day, to most recently giving it another go again via Steam last summer. I haven't gotten much further than the first boss. There's nothing really that bothers me or anything, I guess I just don't find it very interesting. I think I'll do a written LP of it one of these days in hopes of finally finishing the thing.

• 1 month later...

Five Nights at Freddy's, in my estimation, is neither fun to play nor scary. Some of the lore is actually kind of interesting, but that's about it.

I have a number of games like this.

First, Super Scribblenauts. This was praised to the heavens by reviewers, but I really just found it boring. A little too much freedom for my taste, I think

From the Zelda series, I seem to alternate between love and annoyance with every new console release. Ocarina of Time took a while to get into, but was definitely not terrible. Majora's Mask was... annoying. The Wind Waker is the best  thing ever. Twilight Princess's Wii controls meant it was a sad disappointment after Skyward Sword's magnificence; I'm hoping that the regular controls in the HD remake will allow me to enjoy it, though. And going back decades, The Legend of Zelda was enjoyably challenging, while The Adventure of Link was face-tearingly frustrating.

Virtue's Last Reward is another game that people I knew really enjoyed, whereas it never really clicked for me.

Someone mentioned Bravely Default. This was the same for me until I started to get ahead of the level curve and diversify my jobs a bit (which was mid Chapter 3 - I had to force myself to get that far!)

As far as Pokémon goes, there aren't any that I couldn't get into, but Ruby and Sapphire and their remakes get so much praise that I just cannot agree with. To me, they represent a huge downgrade from their predecessors that was only fixed in gen 4.

I'm probably going to embarrass myself by saying this, but going from Galaxy to Super Mario 64 was... not fun. Like Bravely Default, I eventually got into a flow and enjoyed it, but it took a lot of getting into.

The Legend of Zelda - I've been curious about the games, but I was never interested enough to take the plunge and buy them.  Not even used.

Phoenix Wright - I was never curious enough to try it.

Skyrim - I didn't like how dull it looked color palette wise.

Mario - Same with Zelda.  The only time I've ever played these games was with friends.

That's all I can think of for now...

Edited by Spoiler Alert
pressed 'enter' when i shouldn't have...

I beat the game and wouldn't call it bad, but I will say that Suikoden II is not quite the masterpiece that some of its devotees make it out to be.

Its gameplay is improved over the original's, but it is still too simple and rather easy. The war battles were a complete waste of potential it's "show, don't tell" with the showing being so bad it might as well have been tell.

The plot is not legendary. Luca Blight is a good savage villain who dies a well written death, but that is about it. Luca's replacement for the latter part of the game is not so well done. Shu is way too perfect a strategist, even more than Suikoden I's Matthieu and FE's Robin and Corrin. 

The second worst part of the game is the Greenhill school days, which were a shallow and totally unnecessary venture into school themes. Not to mention you walk through the same straight line of realistic forest too many times (and which you'll be reminded of if you want to go to Gregminster- no warp travel to there was a bad idea).

And then there the worst- Neclord. In Suikoden I, Neclord was total filler and a total waste save for whatever development he gave Victor. How in the world did Konami think it was a smart idea to have him return in the second game? He is just as much wasteful filler the second time around, and Konami can't be quite so forgiven for it this time.

Most of the Final Fantasy series tbh. I really can't get into the ATB battle system of the earlier games and in-general, random encounters you can't turn off. I'm not a huge fan of turn based RPGs in general because of random encounters; it just really breaks the flow of the game for me. This is why I usually end up underleveled because I spam the hell out of repels/similar items lmao but I like the challenge it adds. I did enjoy FFX HD a lot though because of the option to turn off random encounters. (I also love Bravely Default/Second if those count as FFs) that said FFXV is one of my favorite games of all time gameplay and character wise lmao

also Zeldas. I like them but I've never had the motivation to finish any game through to the end except Twilight Princess. If I get Breath of the Wild hopefully I'll finish it though bc I've been playing it with my friends and I really like it so far.

Edited by Ciarre

Legend of Zelda. Seriously what have this franchise done right that other games didnt to make it a legend in gaming community? All I saw and played are lame platform games with boring gameplay and kiddy fairy tales stories and characters.

Edited by Magical CC

The Zelda series, for me at least, is defined by its mild blend of gameplay. And that isn't necessarily a bad thing.

It has puzzles, but not as mind-bending as a pure puzzle game. Platforming, but not as crazy as a pure platformer. Action, but not as intense as a pure action game. And the same can be said of exploration.

Play Professor Layton if you want just the first, Mario or Freedom Planet for the second, Bayonetta/Souls/GoW for the third. But I like Zelda's hybridity.

I'll admit the plots are trash; though I like the efforts to build up lore over the games (but not the timeline).

Also, I still have Wind Waker, Skyward Sword, and TriForce Heroes unfinished, but that is more owing to a general tendency on my part to not complete games, nothing particular to Zelda. (Though The Lady I just can't get past in single player in TH.)

The scope of the original Legend of Zelda and Ocarina of time shouldn't be underestimated either. When they were first released there were few games like them of such high quality.

I've tried playing Kingdom Hearts multiple times and couldn't like it much.

Also tried playing MGS but had serious issues with it, however this was many years ago and I'm probably slightly better at games now.

Tbh I'm out of touch with a lot of big names (or ones I bought but couldn't sit through) but I'd be willing to give them a chance if I had time.

ETA This is probably an actually common opinion, but I think Pokemon RGBY is pretty terrible...still appreciate them though.

Edited by Gyges

3D Zeldas - Mostly due to a combination of hype backlash and not liking the gameplay. Not saying they're bad but they just never caught my interest. 

Final Fantasy (+ Most JRPGs) - Hype backlash, design of sprites for the older ones. You play as chibis but monsters and such are detailed sprites. As for JRPGs the story is usually what stops me from enjoying it.

Metroid Prime (1-2-3) - While I do like using the wii remote to aim, apparently I'm not a fan of backtracking in 3D. I enjoyed the GBA Castlevania games so backtracking(in a 2D space) isn't an issue.

Super Mario Galaxy - Launching from one part of a level to another felt too disconnected and made the game feel empty, which succeeds in recreating outer space.

Shovel Knight - At least Shovel Knight's gameplay. Plague Knight is great for me. Not to mention the levels just drag on.

Edited by CycleDone

Scary Games  In general, I just don't get them (same with scary movies).  If they're not actually scary, what's the point in playing them?  If they are actually scary, why would I want to play them?  I guess I've always considered being scared to be a negative emotion, so to me, someone promoting a game by saying how scary it is like someone promoting a movie by saying how soul-crushingly depressing it is or promoting a political article by saying how infuriating it is.  Why would I do that to myself?

GTA  I've seen some Let's Plays of the open-world, multiplayer stuff which looks rather interesting, but everything I've seen of single-player storylines looks like it's just not my cup of tea.

Halo 4  This entry killed the series for me.  There were no Flood, the Grunts were completely unintelligible (removing their comic-relief purpose from previous titles), for some reason we're once again fighting Elites, and the Brutes and Prophets are nowhere to be seen (or are they?  I only played it through once and don't remember much beyond just wanting to finish it so I could put it away and not play it again).

On 3/15/2017 at 10:03 PM, JJ48 said:

If they are actually scary, why would I want to play them? 

I'm think just do it for the thrills or something

I personally play horror games where I'm getting chased, just so I could run or hide or something. It actually does not have more of a lasting effect on me then horror games where I have to use my brain as well as think about the story, all while in a scary environment. I dunno why.

Anyways:

I don't really like Final Fantasy 5 (I think it's well love though...?). I find 4 to be quite better from it, actually. Although 5 introduced the job and abilities system (which is actually neat), and the playable characters aren't actually that bad (Faris for the way. Oh yeah.), eh, I just don't like that much, most of the time. It definitely doesn't feel like it's some new improved FF game compared to FF 4, in fact, it feels like it came before FF4. But I'll admit the graphics aren't that bad, nor is the plot. It's just, I dunno, I don't like it.