Odd, Most Likely Cut, Support

I'm a little hesitant posting anything publically, but I figured this would be the best place to ask about this. Besides, it's not like I have a reputation to uphold on here anyway. :P

Someone I'm talking with on FanFiction told me they once read somewhere that laguz of different species could...be together but couldn't have children. The conversation actually turned this way from us discussing Leanne's paired ending in RD. Anyway, she (I assume it's a she) told me that it's apparently found in a support conversation from PoR.

I'm wondering if there's any truth to this, and I imagine she is too. I imagine if there was such a support, it probably would have been cut or reworded for the English release.

It's from Stefan and Mordocai's support:

http://serenesforest.net/path-of-radiance/scripts/supports/mordecai-stefan/

Stefan: I don’t know. The laguz tribes cannot interbreed, I know that much. However, it seems possible, though rare, for a child to be born to beorc and laguz parents.

However that's true of the laguz of different tribes. We know Dragon Laguz can interbreed (between White and Red Dragon, as Ena proves; and between Black and Red dragon, as Ena's little Rajaion proves), and we know that Laguz of the Bird tribe can interbreed (Like Leanne and Naesala having children in their paired ending). Presumably, the same is true of the Beast tribe.

Edited by salinea

Yeah, it's only that birds, beasts, and dragons can't breed with each other. Beasts can only breed with other beasts, birds with other birds, and dragons with other dragons. So Naesala and Leanne being able to have children is consistent. Nailah and Rafiel should not be able to reproduce together though, on account of one being a wolf and the other being a bird. This does make me wonder if the feline beasts are unable to breed with the wolves though. It would make sense for them not to be able to since canines and felines irl can't, but who knows? I doubt a raven and heron can breed in real life...

I just wonder why Naesala and Leanne are the only pairing confirmed to have kids. I mean, wouldn't it make sense for Sothe and Micaiah and Elincia and Geoffrey to produce heirs for their thrones? Maybe IS wanted to leave some things up to more interpretation. I honestly don't mind that given my theories on that latter pairing and my preference for Ike x Elincia... :P

Edited by Anacybele

I doubt a raven and heron can breed in real life...

Herons and ravens are about as closely related as humans are to dogs, so yeah, definitely not!

Agree with others that it seems like beast tribe can only breed with other beast tribe, etc., same for bird and dragon. Since wolves are much more different from Gallians as the Gallians are from each other, I'd say that one's up in the air too.

I'm a little hesitant posting anything publically, but I figured this would be the best place to ask about this. Besides, it's not like I have a reputation to uphold on here anyway. :P

Someone I'm talking with on FanFiction told me they once read somewhere that laguz of different species could...be together but couldn't have children. The conversation actually turned this way from us discussing Leanne's paired ending in RD. Anyway, she (I assume it's a she) told me that it's apparently found in a support conversation from PoR.

I'm wondering if there's any truth to this, and I imagine she is too. I imagine if there was such a support, it probably would have been cut or reworded for the English release.

I had the same doubt going in my mind for some time. It seems arbitrary and suspiciously convenient that laguz-laguz is impossible if they are from different tribes but laguz-beorc is okay. This goes against the "we are all humans" message, although I guess it could make sense if different laguz tribes were specialized sub-species from a common beorc branch. Which the game refutes as it is stated that laguz and beorc have a common ancestor. I agree that wolf-cat or heron-raven shouldn't make sense either, unless some FE4 genetics magic is implemented, but I don't think the writers put much thought into it.

I just wonder why Naesala and Leanne are the only pairing confirmed to have kids.

Maybe it is to give us hope that the heron population can be saved from extinction?

Another doubt that I have is how bird laguz are born. Nealuchi told Naesala that he cared for him since he hatched his egg or something like that, is it just rhetorical or they actually are born from eggs? I believe this would complicate the branded mechanic for them, but I guess I shouldn't put much thought into it.

Another doubt that I have is how bird laguz are born. Nealuchi told Naesala that he cared for him since he hatched his egg or something like that, is it just rhetorical or they actually are born from eggs? I believe this would complicate the branded mechanic for them, but I guess I shouldn't put much thought into it.

Actually, a scene where Janaff jokes with Ike answers this. Janaff makes a joke about sticking the dumb birds back in their eggs to start over and Ike is like "you guys hatch from eggs?" and Janaff answers that they did a long time ago, but presently do not and that he was only joking. Ike then says he figured it was a joke, but is surprised that they ever did once hatch from eggs.

I always theorized that they hatched from eggs when they were newly evolving from the Zunanma.

Edited by Anacybele

Actually, a scene where Janaff jokes with Ike answers this. Janaff makes a joke about sticking the dumb birds back in their eggs to start over and Ike is like "you guys hatch from eggs?" and Janaff answers that they did a long time ago, but presently do not and that he was only joking. Ike then says he figured it was a joke, but is surprised that they ever did once hatch from eggs.

I always theorized that they hatched from eggs when they were newly evolving from the Zunanma.

I completely forgot about that, thanks. So Nealuchi was speaking metaphorically then, although it didn't sound like a metaphor. Or could it be that Janaff lied to Ike?

I completely forgot about that, thanks. So Nealuchi was speaking metaphorically then, although it didn't sound like a metaphor. Or could it be that Janaff lied to Ike?

I always felt that Nealuchi spoke metaphorically, but eh, who knows, I guess?

It's from Stefan and Mordocai's support:

http://serenesforest.net/path-of-radiance/scripts/supports/mordecai-stefan/

However that's true of the laguz of different tribes. We know Dragon Laguz can interbreed (between White and Red Dragon, as Ena proves; and between Black and Red dragon, as Ena's little Rajaion proves), and we know that Laguz of the Bird tribe can interbreed (Like Leanne and Naesala having children in their paired ending). Presumably, the same is true of the Beast tribe.

Thanks. :) I wonder if I misunderstood what the other person said.

Yeah, it's only that birds, beasts, and dragons can't breed with each other. Beasts can only breed with other beasts, birds with other birds, and dragons with other dragons. So Naesala and Leanne being able to have children is consistent. Nailah and Rafiel should not be able to reproduce together though, on account of one being a wolf and the other being a bird. This does make me wonder if the feline beasts are unable to breed with the wolves though. It would make sense for them not to be able to since canines and felines irl can't, but who knows? I doubt a raven and heron can breed in real life...

I just wonder why Naesala and Leanne are the only pairing confirmed to have kids. I mean, wouldn't it make sense for Sothe and Micaiah and Elincia and Geoffrey to produce heirs for their thrones? Maybe IS wanted to leave some things up to more interpretation. I honestly don't mind that given my theories on that latter pairing and my preference for Ike x Elincia... :P

Well, in actuality, the discussion wasn't about breeding. She once told me that she saw where the laguz COULD be with others outside their kind, just not end up with kids, and Nailah and Rafiel were used as an example. For lack of a better way to put it, say if one laguz had a thing for another outside their tribe, but didn't care about children. I didn't think there was anything of the sort implying that could have been something like that, but then she came back and said she read it was mentioned in a support, hence this topic. Not sure where she got it from, but it sounds like it might have been false info.

Yeah, I agree about Naesala and Leanne being able to have children, since they're both birds.

I had the same doubt going in my mind for some time. It seems arbitrary and suspiciously convenient that laguz-laguz is impossible if they are from different tribes but laguz-beorc is okay. This goes against the "we are all humans" message, although I guess it could make sense if different laguz tribes were specialized sub-species from a common beorc branch. Which the game refutes as it is stated that laguz and beorc have a common ancestor. I agree that wolf-cat or heron-raven shouldn't make sense either, unless some FE4 genetics magic is implemented, but I don't think the writers put much thought into it.

Maybe it is to give us hope that the heron population can be saved from extinction?

Maybe they can only breed in animal form, although that's one image I don't want in my head. But yeah, in human form, I don't see why they couldn't, although it would be very weird seeing a wolf with wings or a bird with a long tail. But you've got a point when you say it is a bit suspiciously convenient, given that it's okay for laguz-beorc, but not the other way around.

Probably, but Leanne would sure have her work cut out for her. At least for a while.

although it would be very weird seeing a wolf with wings

And it would be awesome!

Probably, but Leanne would sure have her work cut out for her. At least for a while.

At least inter-species bird breeding is a better option than some incest-based alternative...

And it would be awesome!

Can't argue with that. It would look pretty cool.

At least inter-species bird breeding is a better option than some incest-based alternative...

Well, that's not exactly what I was thinking of. When you said they gave the ending for Leanne to suggest that the heron tribe might not die out, I was thinking of how since she's the last female heron, she'd probably be pretty busy trying to keep her tribe alive, at least until her children are grown. Hey, I don't imagine they'd stop at just a heron girl and a raven boy. :P

Well, that's not exactly what I was thinking of. When you said they gave the ending for Leanne to suggest that the heron tribe might not die out, I was thinking of how since she's the last female heron, she'd probably be pretty busy trying to keep her tribe alive, at least until her children are grown. Hey, I don't imagine they'd stop at just a heron girl and a raven boy. :P

Yes, I got what you meant, I was just adding to the original point of "why heron-raven?". They have gone down the incest route before but thankfully they didn't this time, it would have been too much. In any case Leanne is going to have a hard time repopulating.

On ‎15‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 11:59 AM, geraq said:

Yes, I got what you meant, I was just adding to the original point of "why heron-raven?". They have gone down the incest route before but thankfully they didn't this time, it would have been too much. In any case Leanne is going to have a hard time repopulating.

She has got two brothers, you know. I bet if they were to have children with a female bird laguz, they'd have heron children too.