Is this game worth $0?

Quick

I know it sounds crazy, but yeah a friend of mine is letting me have Fates. But is it worth it? Awakening was a snore for me and honestly boring even with Lunatic once you went to chapter 6, and felt way too weebish and not like Fire Emblem.

This game seems like Awakening but kicked up a notch in-terms of appealing to more "mainline anime RPG lovers" which means I'll feel less at home than I did playing 4-12. Also being able to "rub your waifus" and all that stuff honestly makes me cringe.

Should I bother playing it? I'm rather busy so if I want to play a game I better like it. I don't mean to offend anybody, and if you like Fates and Awakening I'm glad you do!

Edited by Quick

If Awakening felt too weebish for you, this one will too. But I recommend checking it out anyway if you're a fan of Fire Emblem gameplay, since a lot of people (including me) consider this the absolute best game in the series for that; well, Conquest at least. Great mechanics and map design. Skip all the scenes if you must!

Since it costs you nothing it's easy enough to give it a try; if the gameplay isn't grabbing you by the first few hours you can always drop it then.

If you play Fire Emblem for the gameplay, and what turned you off from awakening was gameplay, I DEFINITELY recommend Conquest. Its gameplay is great, it's a very challenging game, the map design is awesome. I love it.

I mean, by free I'd give any game a try.

Edited by Nobody

Considering I effectively have 120 bucks spent on it from my own money, and a additional 40 spent on it from family mistakenly buying me a second copy of Conquest, and I somehow am still not feeling like I spent too much on it, I say give it a shot.

There's no petting in Fire Emblem Fates; petting is exclusive to Fire Emblem if - the only forms of "petting" that exist after localization are limited to the avatar's spouse (waking the spouse up from sleep or blowing into the mic to relieve the heat from the spouse after the spouse took a bath). Even then, considering how much inspiration is drawn from feudal Japanese culture for Hoshido, you'll probably want to avoid this game if you're going to cringe badly from "weeaboo" stuff depending on what you consider "weeaboo".

For gameplay, Fates improved over Awakening in many aspects. And Conquest is considered to be one of the most difficult Fire Emblem games especially in recent years.

Story is arguably worse than Awakening's overall. Birthright has the best story out of Fates' routes but it's the traditional FE story and nothing to write home about. If you want the best lore-based content from Fates, consider buying Hidden Truths and Heirs of Fates DLC.

Edited by Roflolxp54

I can only speak for Conquest but that game has very engaging maps and mechanics. It's in no way comparable from the way Awakening was just throwing random enemies at you from all directions.

There will be cringe though. Lot and lots of cringe. The presentation is very much in line with the game's actual content, so the french maids and the way they designed and present your supposed sister Camilla are perfectly representative of the game's direction. And I'd say that the intensity of the game's brown nosing is consistently on the level of Awakening's final chapter.

Edited by BrightBow

Fates in one sentence:

Some of the best FE gameplay, but some of the worst story.

as for how "fast" the game feels, it depends on the route. Birthright plays like a better balanced awakening, with around the speed you would expect from that. Conquest constantly introduces both implicit and explicit timed objectives, with supporting map design. As a result, the "speed" of the game is much faster than Birthright. Revelation, by contrast, introduces a ton of gimickes that waste the player's time, like having to wait for moving platforms, or having to break ice bit by bit. It really crawls.

All that being said, definitely play conquest, and try the first few chapters of the other two routes (which are fairly representative of the rest of their route). Note that any given difficulty setting of conquest is much harder than the equivalent setting of birthright and revelation.

Well since you won't be out any money I would say give it a shot. I found the gameplay to be great, but the story is not the best. If you like FE for the gameplay you will like Conquest a lot.

Can't tell if this is a troll topic or not. On the off-chance that it's not, WHY would you turn down the chance to try something for free?

Well, I wouldn't try Duke Nukem Forever for free either, so I can't blame him.

I think the challenge Conquest provides is worth playing.

Out of curiosity, which path did you get? Or did you get all of them?

Gameplay-wise, it's more balanced and probably the most fun of the FE games in that regard. Conquest is challenging, and Birthright is more balanced than Awakening. Revelation is mostly annoying gimmicky garbage made to waste your time and nothing else; don't even bother if you don't have time to kill.

Story-wise, 2/3rds of it is garbage marred by bad plot devices and fake moral ambiguity. The other 1/3rd is Birthright, and it's only decent because it's essentially another standard FE plot, albeit with an Eastern flair and a few extra bells and whistles.

Character-wise, some are among the best characters FE has ever seen, while others are tropey garbage. Some characters who might seem vain at first, like Oboro or Charlotte, are surprisingly well thought out and empathetic, and experience more character growth than some of the main characters. And even the worst characters have good supports.

Overall, I think it's worth a shot. A lot of the most weebish elements that you're afraid of were taken out in the localization; all we have left is blowing on a spouse's face to cool them off after a warm bath and rubbing a spouse's face until they wake (which is odd, but considering the ways you could be woken up, it's the least harmful). As someone who is also irked by weeb elements, I understand your skepticism, but there is more to this game than anime trite.

Can't tell if this is a troll topic or not. On the off-chance that it's not, WHY would you turn down the chance to try something for free?

Some like to be adventurous and go into games totally blind, but others feel more confident in knowing that the time they spend won't be time they wasted. And FE tends to be slow-paced compared to other games, so you might not know how good it is until you've spent several hours playing it.

I try to imagine if I only had a few hours to play each week. I would certainly be much more careful about what I picked up to play if that were the case. Especially if some of my options are RPGs of any kind.

Out of curiosity, which path did you get? Or did you get all of them?

Gameplay-wise, it's more balanced and probably the most fun of the FE games in that regard. Conquest is challenging, and Birthright is more balanced than Awakening. Revelation is mostly annoying gimmicky garbage made to waste your time and nothing else; don't even bother if you don't have time to kill.

Story-wise, 2/3rds of it is garbage marred by bad plot devices and fake moral ambiguity. The other 1/3rd is Birthright, and it's only decent because it's essentially another standard FE plot, albeit with an Eastern flair and a few extra bells and whistles.

Character-wise, some are among the best characters FE has ever seen, while others are tropey garbage. Some characters who might seem vain at first, like Oboro or Charlotte, are surprisingly well thought out and empathetic, and experience more character growth than some of the main characters. And even the worst characters have good supports.

Overall, I think it's worth a shot. A lot of the most weebish elements that you're afraid of were taken out in the localization; all we have left is blowing on a spouse's face to cool them off after a warm bath and rubbing a spouse's face until they wake (which is odd, but considering the ways you could be woken up, it's the least harmful). As someone who is also irked by weeb elements, I understand your skepticism, but there is more to this game than anime trite.

Some like to be adventurous and go into games totally blind, but others feel more confident in knowing that the time they spend won't be time they wasted. And FE tends to be slow-paced compared to other games, so you might not know how good it is until you've spent several hours playing it.

I try to imagine if I only had a few hours to play each week. I would certainly be much more careful about what I picked up to play if that were the case. Especially if some of my options are RPGs of any kind.

To be honest I didn't ask, he just said he wasn't really interested and that he has it. He has the tits knight so I'm going to guess Conquest.

And yeah, it's honestly that. Don't mean to be rude, but I am kind of busy lately with college and I have a bunch of tedious classes with teachers with pointless lectures in the most important majors. I want to have fun in a game and if it's not worth then I should just let my dude keep it.

I guess what I'm looking for is hard gameplay but with characters and a story that can at least make it feel like it's worth it. Games like FE4 and FE10 had some really hard chapters, but even in the easier chapters characters like Sigurd and Haar are interesting and have alpha characteristics so watching them murder people is actually really cool to see. (Couldn't say the same with MU in FE13) Also if the story is that bad where it's like the average time I saw Fire Emblem talked about on Facebook where it was just about waifus then I want out because for me that's actually embarrassing for one of the most interesting strategy series I've ever had.

Also gameplay mechanic changes like Doubling and perma items for everyone bothered the crap out of me as money management is actually one of the more unmentioned entertaining parts of this series.

Edited by Quick

Also gameplay mechanic changes like Doubling and perma items for everyone bothered the crap out of me as money management is actually one of the more unmentioned entertaining parts of this series.

?

...Wait a sec. That's what pair-up was called in the Japanese version.

Well, that's pretty much been fixed; it's been split into offense stance (putting units side by side will let them both attack the same enemy, though the one who didn't initiate the attack deals half damage) and defense stance (pair up with less stat gains; instead, blocking dual strikes from offense stance and nullifying damage for every five hits taken/blocked/evaded).

Oh, and enemies can and do use them.

And Conquest is reeeeaaallly stingy on the money, so there's that as well.

Edited by The DanMan

I love Conquest. Easily my favorite game in the series. I actually liked the story as well, though, the part about fighting the "enemy" team from the inside out. I know a lot of people hate on Corrin, but I thought for a sheltered child pampered by both sets of siblings, Corrin's decisions and wishes make a lot of sense. You can even choose to do an "evil" act after the boat chapter.

Gameplay wise it's very challenging and a lot of fun.

I would say Conquest is definitely worth your time. Birthright is pretty bland IMO and I wouldn't recommend it. I have not played Revelations.

I know it sounds crazy, but yeah a friend of mine is letting me have Fates. But is it worth it? Awakening was a snore for me and honestly boring even with Lunatic once you went to chapter 6, and felt way too weebish and not like Fire Emblem.

The games sold for $40, and the Special Edition for $80. It's got a character in the Smash Bros franchise. This game is made of plastic if you buy the cart. It's obviously worth more than a penny :)

This game seems like Awakening but kicked up a notch in-terms of appealing to more "mainline anime RPG lovers" which means I'll feel less at home than I did playing 4-12. Also being able to "rub your waifus" and all that stuff honestly makes me cringe.

"rubbing your waifus" doesn't exist in the American release, so no worries there. Plus, it's 100% optional and only serves as a way to speed up support ranks for yourself, and gets you a little bit of unique dialogue that doesn't really matter in the long run. It's definitely a step up from Awakening though, both in terms of difficulty and variety.

Should I bother playing it? I'm rather busy so if I want to play a game I better like it. I don't mean to offend anybody, and if you like Fates and Awakening I'm glad you do!

I'd 100% suggest that you play Conquest, if anything. Looks like the weebish aspects of the game bother you, which isn't nearly as prevalent in Conquest as it is in Birthright (except for the fact that you're slaughtering the Japanese-inspired folk like the Spanish conquistadors stomped through Brazil).

Yeah this game is definitely favouring weebs... But it's free so why are you considering not accepting it? Atleast try it and if you don't like it you can give it back (or sell it for easy $$$)

If you take a few chapters out of context they can make the game look epic. The whole story is actually a mess though. Gameplay-wise is very fun and challenging. Some of the paralogues(bonus chapters) are really fun too, so make sure not to miss out on them. This is considering Conquest. Definitely give it a shot.

To every single person who has no clue as to why I question the validity of this topic: Reread the OP. Now do it again. One more time. Did you miss this?

Do some basic research on the game itself before bringing up completely useless points like skinship. That's why I have problems taking this topic seriously.

The games sold for $40, and the Special Edition for $80. It's got a character in the Smash Bros franchise. This game is made of plastic if you buy the cart. It's obviously worth more than a penny :)

"rubbing your waifus" doesn't exist in the American release, so no worries there. Plus, it's 100% optional and only serves as a way to speed up support ranks for yourself, and gets you a little bit of unique dialogue that doesn't really matter in the long run. It's definitely a step up from Awakening though, both in terms of difficulty and variety.

I'd 100% suggest that you play Conquest, if anything. Looks like the weebish aspects of the game bother you, which isn't nearly as prevalent in Conquest as it is in Birthright (except for the fact that you're slaughtering the Japanese-inspired folk like the Spanish conquistadors stomped through Brazil).

Ah okay, that's good! I know there's some controversy in that localization but I thought they canceled that remove out of backlash, if they removed that stuff then it's probably bearable, most likely going to try it out Friday for the hardest difficulty.

I have no problem with Japanese inspired stuff, actually, I'm very interested in Japanese history, I have problem with knights with massive tits everywhere with the most anime motives and basic appeal, honestly I think the whole S rank convos in Awakening for a lot of adults was very cringey in how it was executed. (It just felt off, it might have to do with the lack of subtlety but I'm not sure) I know Corrin isn't any Ike either.

Edited by Quick