Playing the Japanese version through Homebrew...

Giga Man

Specifically, the "Region Free Launcher" application that comes with the homebrew starter kit. Does it work? If so, how does DLC work? Would I be able to purchase DLC of the Japanese version on my American 3DS/2DS/n3DS and have it work with the Japanese game?

Sorry if this isn't the right place to ask this, but I'm only interested in this for this game only and didn't know where else I could turn without feeling alienated.

You cannot buy from an out of region e-shop.

DLC will not work unless you're using custom firmware like Luma3ds to enable out of region DLC.

...hell, essentially out of region DLC is out of reach unless you have custom firmware, since you need to have that to install the DLC via CIA in the first place.

You can ONLY play the base game.

Which means you're locked out of Invisible Kingdom/Revelations with only homebrew available.

Edited by shadowofchaos

Crap. So, there would be no way for me to download any additional content to Fates? Not even with custom firmware? Or, am I reading that wrong?

This seems to be a lot more trouble than it's worth... I mainly wanted to play Birthright in Japanese for the sake of practicing Japanese because I plan to take classes soon, as well as play the Festival DLCs since we're clearly not getting them localized...

No, what I meant is you need custom firmware to even install CIAs, which out of region DLC essentially is.

Which is something regular homebrew alone can't do.

You have to be able to downgrade using homebrew down to an exploitable firmware to install custom firmware. And those methods aren't exactly simple. And you have to be at a certain firmware to downgrade in the first place.

And even if you have custom firmware, you have to either:

A) Rip your DLC from another region 3ds that also has custom firmware (What I did with my JP 3ds)

B) Pirate it.

C) Change your emunand region to Japanese to be able to access the JP eshop.

None of these are simple.

Edited by shadowofchaos

I see. I do know that downgrading, say, a version 11 3DS to the proper firmware requires hardmodding, which I do not trust myself to do.

Yeah, I was hoping for a somewhat simple solution, but that's OK. I'll just have to do without it for now. Thanks, by the way.

Edited by Giga Man