Which Fire Emblem do you dislike the most and why?

CatManThree

70 members have voted

1. 1. Which Fire Emblem do you dislike the most?

• Dark Dragon and Sword of Light
    • Gaiden
    • Mystery of the Emblem
    • Genealogy of the Holy War
    • Thracia 776
    • Binding Blade
    • Blazing Sword
    • The Sacred Stones
    • Path of Radiance
    • Radiant Dawn
    • Shadow Dragon
    • New Mystery of the Emblem
    • Awakening
    • All of Fates
    • Conquest
    • Birthright
    • Revelation

The topic is pretty self explanatory.

(edit)

I was in a bit of a rush when making this topic

so I didn't put much into this post. So I am

updating it now.

While all the installment in the Fire Emblem franchise

really are amazing, not all of them were created equal.

Basically the question at hand is what specific installment

did you like the least. Doesn't mean you gotta hate it,

just something along the lines of not really appreciating it

very much.

What's my opinion? Well this individual's post sums my feelings

on my least favorite game: Revelation.

Fire Emblem Fates: Revelations. It compounds the story issues of the other two routes (except even worse this time around) with incredibly poor character balancing and gimmicky to the point of being unenjoyable maps.

Edited by CatManThree

What about your least favorite too, since you made the topic? :P

Anyway, I had a hard time picking between Awakening and FE7, but I picked FE7 in the end since Awakening at least has more likeable characters to me and somewhat better gameplay, even if it's not by a big margin. FE7's story, characters, and gameplay mostly bored me.

Awakening, boring story, that Basilio asspull, broken mechanics such as pair up and reclassing, lack of any difficulty between Hard and Lunatic, mostly boring characters, time travel, avatar, Tharja, stupid costume designs, only one magic weapon rank and no magic triangle that makes having three anima types entirely pointless, almost completely wiping Light magic from the face of the earth, and dull maps.

Edited by Glaceon Mage

Shadow Dragon, Boring Story, Bad map design, Way too many completely flat and wasted units... I haven't replayed it recently but I did end up liking 12 more then I though I would... so mabye I would end up liking it if I replayed it.

For me, Birthright or Revelation would probably be the one I disliked the most. Awakening was my entry into the series, so I had pretty good first impressions of it and that sort of gives it a pass on my end when being critical about it. It wasn't perfect, but it got lucky on being my first. Birthright and Revelations annoyed me at a time when I was already fairly annoyed with how Conquest turned out, so they were also unlucky in that sense.

I can see this topic blowing up on itself.

Mine are pretty tied. I don't dislike one more than the other.

Offenses

FE10: Blood Pact, Musclehead Ike

FE11: Art style and Death Gaidens

FE12: Kris

FE13: Valm

FE14: Conquest's story, lack of being able to connect with Kamui at all besides Mikoto.

They all have their problems.

But they all have value.

Fire Emblem Fates: Revelations for being unneeded in the grand scheme of things as well as having a mediocre at best plot. Not to mention the balancing issues...

Shadow Dragon - in my eyes, it was a MASSIVE step backwards relative to the series at large. Not to mention most of the new stuff IS added being hidden behind a wall of terrible design choices. Besides that, I'd give dishonorable mentions to Genealogy (atrociously bloated maps, balance issues up the wazoo, and mechanics that make it clunkier than it already is), Thracia (fatigue, permanent status effects, and escape maps that honestly come off to me as extremely poorly designed), and Sword of Seals (once again, balance issues and the maps).

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

Mystery of the Emblem. I can forgive Shadow Dragon and Gaiden for being clunky (their console names a level of difficulty), but Mystery has zero excuse, especially because of its remake. Genealogy might be long, and Thracia punishingly difficult, but I see little value in playing FE3 when it did nothing to improve the core mechanics of the game.

All of Fates because Fates is bull shit.

I didn't like the story

Corrin/Kamui was executed poorly.

Some of the siblings are just there and don't really affect the story.

Corrin/Kamui's whole parentage and backstory.

Revelations was tedious as hell.

Some of the characters are just there and have no backstory/Importance and really lack depth.

I can go on and on but I don't wanna bore you with my opinion

Edited by Steele

I voted for the original, and I'm only taking into consideration games that I've played (So FE1, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, and 9). I've heard awful things about the DS remakes of FE1/3 but as I haven't played them I can't comment on them.

But yeah FE1 has aged like bloody milk lol. Armors can't promote, Luck is for dodging magic, magic as a stat doesn't even exist, noone has magic defense growths, the most absolute bare minimum of storytelling, characters don't even have death quotes.... yeah, its a trip. I don't think its BAD, just badly aged, but of all the FEs I've played, the original is the one I would least want to go back and replay.

''Dislike'' isn't the best term for me. Even the very worst that Fire emblem has to offer is still perfectly decent.

But the Fire emblem I most ''dislike'' would be Shadow dragon. It feels outdated and it doesn't live up to the Fire emblems that came before it. The continent of Akaneia lags behind the others in almost everything from story, to gameplay, to villains and worldbuilding. As the first Fire emblem this is understandable but Shadow Dragon purposely missed the chance to bring Akaneia on par with the other continents which makes it hard for me to respect that game or the continent it portrays.

I'd also give a dishonorable mention to Fates. I'm not one to join the negativity train much when it comes to Fates and I would consider it a mid tier Fire emblem at worst but its also the first time I feel I like a Fire emblem despite things rather than because of them. Conquest gave me enough high points for a favorable expressions but it does have low points that can hardly be ignored.

All of Fates, for different reasons. Birthright has terrible pacing and an aimless (if otherwise competent) story, Conquest has an awful story and the gameplay doesn't work enough for me to make up for it, and Revelation has balancing issues out the wazoo along with a story that is missing half of itself.

I hate Revelations, but it at least has some value in a few decent chapters.

Shadow Dragon, on the other hand, is just really hard for me to play. I just can't like it in any way.

Edited by Emerson

Radiant Dawn and it's not even close. Quoting myself again for the reasoning:
"The dawn brigade maps are fun and challenging (with some exceptions. One Survives is atrocious), but for me the rest of it is just unsalvageable. To start with, I dislike its concept. Changing teams isn't what I want in a fire emblem game, specially when some of them have such low availability. Then you have the extreme tedious and long enemy and allied units phases, that manage to be huge even with (map) animations turned off. Seriously, some of the bigger ones are enough to make me snooze. Then you have the map design, which in some chapters are so terrible they're capable of making the worst in Awakening look good. It has what is in my opinion the worst disgrace of a map to ever be featured on Fire Emblem, Geoffrey's Charge, that manages to be extremely easy, but also long and tedious, including the already mentioned long enemy and allied unit phases, a myriad of weak enemies that offer no threat to you and that must be avoided in order to get the best bonuses. Even the chapters that are often praised in this game aren't good IMO. Like, Elincia's gambit is often showed as an "example" of good defense map, but it's barely one, being EASILY beaten in like 2 turn by defeating the boss, and From Pain Awakening is literally like every late game Awakening map; a bunch of enemies spread through an open field map that you must kill and nothing else. It's so Awakening it even has that on its name, but without the fast engine. Then you have the boring part 4 and endgame maps.

The story also does not help, though I don't really judge FE games by it.

Edited by Nobody

It's a tie between Shadow Dragon and Revelations.

Shadow Dragon because of its bland presentation, units with little personality, a massive step back in terms of other games, cheap RNG and awful gaiden chapter requirements. You can say the game is lack luster for being a handheld, but to me that's no excuse for making no effort.

Revelations because of its rushed story, unbalanced units, boring final arc, awful gimmicks and enemy level spikes so bad that it forces you to grind.

I voted for Shadow Dragon because at least Revelations tried and has alot more to offer. SD looked as if the developers never tried and I'm honestly surprised the game's problems didn't caused the death of the franchise.

Edited by Rend Keaven

I just know I'm going to regret this...

Anyway, for me, it's a toss-up between Sacred Stones and Shadow Dragon, but I'm too much of a fan to say I actually hated any of them. I did case my vote for Stones though. It's hard to put into words why I didn't like it too much. I just think the whole thing of monsters really doesn't fit in. I mean, yes, there's magic, but that's pretty standard. I think I liked that in other games, it plays like a medieval narrative, with countries waging war with each other. Now, yes, even Blazing Sword had 'monsters' in the form of Morphs, but to me, actual zombies, skeletons, etc. just didn't seem to fit. I also don't like the current trend of fighting undead creatures like the Risen and Faceless. To me, it's just a bit out there, even for Fire Emblem. But that's just my opinion. And if it's Fire Emblem, I'll still play it.

Revelations because of its rushed story, unbalanced units, boring final arc, awful gimmicks and enemy level spikes so bad that it forces you to grind.

Not defending the level spikes... but no matter how bad game design is in Fire Emblem... nothing forces you to grind.

Especially since people have beaten Conquest on 0% growths.

Just simply state that the level spikes are really crappy and bad. No one would doubt that statement.

All of Fates. Even though I technically did like Birthright better than the other two paths, even that route has problems that I didn't have with any other FE games (other than Conquest and Revelation, which are also still Fates). Overall, Fates just seemed like it lacked the soul that the other games did. It feels like the entire world exists just to worship this one character who isn't at all interesting and doesn't do anything to deserve it.

Probably FE10 overall. There are just some bizarre choices in the game that I really don't like. As clunky as FE4 can be, at least it's a feel that you can adjust to its weird rules and deal with it. FE10 has a ton of games under its belt and just... Doesn't fix enough in my eyes.

Binding Blade for boring me on a story and gameplay level, though it's worth noting I have yet to play Birthright or Revelations. Part of my dislike for it might have stemmed from the fact that I played it after I had already played most of the other games in the series, and I think I'd like it better if I tried it again but on Hard this time.

Edited by Knight Falchion

Fire Emblem Fates: Revelations. It compounds the story issues of the other two routes (except even worse this time around) with incredibly poor character balancing and gimmicky to the point of being unenjoyable maps.