Which Fire Emblem do you dislike the most and why?

CatManThree

70 members have voted

1. 1. Which Fire Emblem do you dislike the most?

• Dark Dragon and Sword of Light
    • Gaiden
    • Mystery of the Emblem
    • Genealogy of the Holy War
    • Thracia 776
    • Binding Blade
    • Blazing Sword
    • The Sacred Stones
    • Path of Radiance
    • Radiant Dawn
    • Shadow Dragon
    • New Mystery of the Emblem
    • Awakening
    • All of Fates
    • Conquest
    • Birthright
    • Revelation

Fire Emblem Fates: Revelations. It compounds the story issues of the other two routes (except even worse this time around) with incredibly poor character balancing and gimmicky to the point of being unenjoyable maps.

Yeah quite honestly I haven't had that much of an issue with FE maps until I played Rev.

And i've played all of them up to it haha.

in terms of gameplay,

Gaiden

I can appreciate its significance to the series and all that it's contributed the the series

it's just an overall clusterfuck

story wise

Revelation

tbh, I know it's an unpopular opinion but I think Conquest had the best story in Fates

I'm not saying it's good

i actually kind of liked birthright's story, minus the cheap shock value deaths.

obviously it would make a lame novel or series, but more than adequate for a game and i didn't need to skip every cutscene.

Edited by Radiant head

People on this forum know how much I rag on Fates' writing but it doesn't actually take the first place my least favorite Fire Emblem. I'd rank them:

1. Shadow Dragon

2. Revelation

3. Conquest

While Conquest (and Fates as a whole) has the most offensively bad writing, it still has a story that engages the player and gameplay that is satisfying. Revelation and Shadow Dragon suffer from something worse than bad writing, they suffer from it being boring. So boring I don't want to even finish the game. Revelation has bad map design and character balance but it also features flexible team building. At the very top of the tower is Shadow Dragon which has a boring story and world, flat characters and not even the gameplay to make it satisfying.

It's all kind of topsy-turvy, however. While Shadow Dragon is the worst FE (that I've played), it has the excuse of being a remake of the first game. Fates, while having mostly superb gameplay, is the absolute worst for writing quality and there are no excuses for how they could fail so utterly.

I had to go with RD. It's particularly offensive to me because I LOVE the Dawn Brigade chapters, and then the game switches out and doesn't let me play with the units I like.

Every time I start RD after my first run, I always stop when it gets to part 2, Elincia just KILLS it for me.

I still think it's alright game overall, and I wouldn't call it bad, but it's easily my least favorite.

FE7 for me. The characters for the most part are super bland and I can't find myself caring for any of the main ones.

Revelations is worse offender because barely counts as a strategical game (the game force you to wait to do stuff, and has random overkills)

I don't hate any FE, and I consider them all good games for various reasons. However, 3 of them I always think twice about playing unless I use an odd fix for one of them

FE12: FE3 was amazing... at the time of it's release, but while it's dated af now, it's still my favorite FE for some of it's unique mechanic ideas, fleshing out more of Tiki's character, and featuring quite possibly the most steller character development I've even seen in the series in how Marth is handled. FE12 "fixes" it's datedness by removing the mechanics I loved like Dismount and Manakete tranformations entirely, and RUINS Marth's character development thanks to Kris. I can accept a lot of pandering from FE avatars, but when they ruin a part of a story I really liked, I get pissed. I get really pissed, and it's why whenever I go back to FE12, which is still fun gameplay wise even if I consider the original much better, I play it in Japanese so I can't understand the character development Kris is stealing.

FE10: HOLY FUCKING HELL, where do I begin? This game can easily be summed up by one word, clusterfuck. Part 1 is POR all over again, which admittedly bores me because it's not like we went thru this same shit last game just for the neighbor's country, I love Part 2's storyline, but it's maps quickly turn into a waiting game for me, and just fuck all of Part 3 and 4. It's a shame I have these issues with it tho, because I love branching armies, it's why I liked FE2 and TRS so much, but this really wasn't how to do it. I still recommend it for those who liked Tellius and don't mind waiting thru Other Phases constantly tho, because it is fun at points.

FE4: Oh boy, this game. I really want to like this game a lot more than I do, and I'll be honest, if it wasn't for three certain things, I'd be a lot kinder to it, but the backtracking is obnoxious, doubling and critting not being a universal ability bothers me, and it's pacing is absolute shit. I can recommend it for the soundtrack and Arvis' character arc, but not much else unfortunately.

Edited by MCProductions

Fire Emblem Fates, in its entirety.

• I genuinely cannot think of a single redeeming quality the writing has beyond the base premise.
  • The characters, while sometimes being decent in terms of their base personality, are kinda killed by the fact that there's pretty much no world for them to exist in. A bunch of personalities bouncing off each other in a vacuum does not a compelling cast make. Also, Corrin's just not a good protagonist, or character in general. Their personality is kinda flimsy and nonsensical, and, as much as I'm loathe to use this term, they definitely qualify as a "Mary Sue", probably multiple times over.
  • While the gameplay is pretty alright, I actually don't like a lot of the changes they made from previous games. I acknowledge this is a totally subjective, personal issue, and for this reason it's not something I'd hold against the game as an objective flaw, but I actually saw Fire Emblem's comparative simplicity relative to other SRPGs as being a strength rather than a deficiency, so I'm disappointed to see the series moving away from that. Also, super unpopular opinion here, but I dislike the whole "learning skills by leveling up" thing, and I think reclassing was more fun when the class changes themselves worked how they did in Shadow Dragon/Mystery of the Emblem. Character-based reclass sets are preferable to generic ones, though. And yes, I am aware that Awakening started a lot of this stuff.
  • I don't really care for the character design in general. Even discounting the overly-fanservicy designs (don't get me wrong, I do still dislike those), it's really boring how almost every character is dressed in a recolor or at most a recolor-plus-slight edit of the default outfit for their base class, with very few exceptions.
  • Can't speak for the Japanese version, but the English translation's text is just really bland and unengaging most of the time. Maybe I'm just spoiled by 8-4's absolutely stellar localization of Awakening and the previous Fire Emblem games actually having some semblance of competence to their writing, but Fates' story portions are just an utterly boring snoozefest for me; even some of the supports.

I genuinely just can't bring myself to keep playing the game past, like, around Chapter 10 or 11 or so. I've kinda been questioning whether or not it was even worth the $100.00+ USD I spent on it. I mean, it is technically Fire Emblem, but it sure as hell lacks most of what got me into the series to begin with.

Fates is my least favorite game.

Basically because the package as a whole isn't appealing to me. The rest of the games were pretty solid overall, had some issues but to me they stood pretty well.

Its story, world building, character interactions, gimmicks and supports are really weak to me. If we judge it only by UI, map and gameplay improvements one might say it did its job ok, but the rest disappoints me.

It's a toss up between Scared Stones and Awakening because they are the only games where grinding characters were the only times I had fun with them because the story chapter maps were so god damn boring and overly simple.

Awakening may get an extra point because FUCK VILLAGER NPCS, FUCK THEIR WORTHLESS ASSES. THE GAME GOES OUTS IT'S WAY TO MAKE YOU FEEL BAD FOR NOT SAVING THEIR BITCH ASSES. MAYBE IF THOSE VILLAGER FUCKING BRAIN DEAD IDIOTS; THEY'LL STILL BE ALIVE. I have a feeling Hans might have been on to something in Cheve.

I love every FE title in one way or another. But if I had to choose the ones I like the least they would be...

Fates:

Mostly uniteresting cast

Bad Story imo

Corrin

Boring Music Tracks and Maps(This mostly applies to Rev)

Nina(Niles's Child)

or

Shadow Dragon:

Killing Units for Gaiden Chapters?(WHY IS THIS A THING)

Uninteresting Cast

Bland Design

Ugly Graphics

Low Growths(This doesn't usually bug me, but in SD its all just HP lvs for me)

I mean I like all of the fe games i've played so far (fe8, fe7, fe13, fe14) but right now I think fe7 is at the bottom

mostly because I don't exactly feel an attachment to any of the characters right now. In all the other games, i liked a handful of characters, but in fe7 I just don't feel much for a lot of characters, which leads me to not wanting to play the game as much as I want to play, per say, fe8.

But the gameplay is really good so I'm going to try and get back into it lmao

I don't hate any FE, and I consider them all good games for various reasons. However, 3 of them I always think twice about playing unless I use an odd fix for one of them

FE12: FE3 was amazing... at the time of it's release, but while it's dated af now, it's still my favorite FE for some of it's unique mechanic ideas, fleshing out more of Tiki's character, and featuring quite possibly the most steller character development I've even seen in the series in how Marth is handled. FE12 "fixes" it's datedness by removing the mechanics I loved like Dismount and Manakete tranformations entirely, and RUINS Marth's character development thanks to Kris. I can accept a lot of pandering from FE avatars, but when they ruin a part of a story I really liked, I get pissed. I get really pissed, and it's why whenever I go back to FE12, which is still fun gameplay wise even if I consider the original much better, I play it in Japanese so I can't understand the character development Kris is stealing.

I'm waiting for them to completely retcon-out (or practically counter-retcon) Kris.

I don't dislike any of them, I think they're all really good games. But I'd have to say that my least favorite is Radiant Dawn, with Conquest as the runner-up. I think they both have the worst stories in the entire series, and I think they have the worst cast of characters. There's certainly characters that I'm very fond of in both games, like Brom, Elincia, and Caineghis in RD, and Leo in Conquest, but as a whole I think they have the worst casts (RD for just having poor characterization in general, and Conquest because the majority of characters are either major jerks or creepy perverts). I'd put Conquest above RD purely for gameplay reasons...my goodness RD is a hot mess, with difficulty and balancing issues EVERYWHERE (oh it has a balance...but a very poor one). I like 'em all, but RD is my least favorite.

What about your least favorite too, since you made the topic? :P

I was in a bit of a rush when making this cause I had to leave my computer.

I am gonna edit the first post.

Awakening has poor gameplay because the game mechanics are simplified too much.

(no ballistas, no long range anima tomes, no magic triangle, awful variety of mission objectives...)

This game feels empty and lazily designed to me.

Idc for its story, because most stories in FE are mediocre at best (except for Judgral and FE9).

I was in a bit of a rush when making this cause I had to leave my computer.

I am gonna edit the first post.

I'll be waiting for this. Also, banwave incoming :P:

My least favorite is FE4. No other Fire Emblem game was so tedious that I put it down partway through, and never picked it up again. Dishonorable mention to FE6 for being fairly boring, as well.

A little summary of my opinions in other threads:

Gameplay-wise: FE4

Reasons: lack of trading, individual gold, gigantic maps, annoying enemy skills (great shield), pairing/inheritance mechanics, over-reliance on holy weapons.

But: its story is fantastic, it's so great it almost makes me want to play it again and beat it for once. I hated the villains in here more than I hated them in any other game, so it has to mean they were good at being villains.

Story-wise: FE10

Reasons: This is saddening, because everything was great until halfway in Part 3, when the blood pact was introduced. Everything went downhill from there up to the chain of WTF moments that is the endgame. It really felt rushed and badly written.

But: the gameplay is awesome, so much that I disregarded the weak plot until I beat the game. I loved the multiple armies, the switching every couple of chapters, the 3rd-tier classes, the variety in map objectives, the changes in the laguz transformation system, and even the aspect I like the least (the skills) was non-intrusive and easy enough to handle without any hassle. Oh, and I wasn't a big fan of the new support system either, but it proved to be quite useful.

As you can see, my gameplay-wise reasons weigh much more to me than my story-wise reasons.

Revelation. It's just... dull.

Fates as a whole was a mixed bag for me, with some things I loved and others I very much didn't, but Revelation is my least favorite of the three by far. Most of the maps were boring and tedious, and any potentially interesting story elements just weren't handled well enough for me to care. On top of that, I feel like Birthright and Conquest would have been better if Revelation was never made, and any of its useful ideas were used to flesh out the other two instead. I can see people having fun with all the potential pairings and gameplay options, but that's not really my kind of thing. (Apart from the support conversations... but I don't want to play through it just for those.)

Though I haven't played the first three games in the series. I can imagine they haven't aged well, especially the first, but I'll give them a try some day.

Shadow Dragon, easily... Being faithful is something I understand... Not taking the chance to update to modern mechanics when other games clearly outclassed it because of that was another... Also, gaiden requirements... Even stranger and that the next game did update to modern mechanics for the most part, and could still be a faithful remake (for the most part, and not counting things like the Avatar system)...

Honorable mention goes to Radiant Dawn. I had a lot of good ideas, but they were executed well (e.g. part system having no place to level up, leaving some characters horribly gimped because of availability, new laguz types having barely any members, laguz themselves to be made far less useful, supports with everyone, but hardly any lines, and Ike taking up a huge portion of the story that should have belonged to the new characters...)