FIRE EMBLEM WARRIORS

Captain Karnage

I do think it would be a particular bad move if Elibe got shafted. Jugdral, Magvel and even Tellius I can understand

How is shafting Tellius understandable? Yes, the games sold poorly, but Ike is very popular and a repeat Smash member. People will question why he's in Smash, yet not spin-offs of his own fucking series if this keeps up. Same with Roy to a lesser extent. I myself actually will not buy if this game is only Archanea/Awakening/Fates.

Also, if Elibe has Smash appeal, so does Tellius for what I just said.

And I'm also surprised that Chrom was used in the trailer instead of Marth and that Marth's sword was shown LAST. Marth is supposed to be the face of the series, not that boring Ike-wannabe.

Edited by Anacybele

• Replies 472
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd say its to soon to say. I'm not going to get worked up over a few seconds of not even gameplay. The game seems to be in its earliest stage if the length of that trailer is anything to go by.

obviously, yeah. though i think there's very little correlation between unit diversity and inclusion after seeing a trailer with five swords from only 2-3 games.

I am SO hyped for this! This is a system-seller for me! After Hyrule Warriors, FE in this formula just seemed so perfect, and now it's happening!

I'm SUPER hyped for this, but at the same time, I do worry that we saw only Marth's Falchion, Chrom's Falchion, and the three main Fates swords in the teaser and nothing from Tellius, Magvel, Jugdral, Valencia, and Elibe...

Man, please don't be stupid like Atlus and leave all those other FE worlds out... I can understand if a few of them have to be added DLC like some in Zelda were, but Tellius and Elibe at least ought to be there from the start. Ike and Roy ARE in Smash and are iconic to a degree as well. :/

And this is also starting to feel like developers are pretending that everything before Awakening and non-Archanea doesn't exist when they most certainly do and have fans!

I agree 100% with this, though. I really want more than just Marth's games and Awakening/Fates.

Hyrule Warriors was mostly just Zelda-skinned Musou with a few mechanical touches from the former. I don't see why they can't take the same approach and emphasize battle tactics and strategy a bit more through the mechanics.

Er, they've already done that before with the Empires titles. It would be nothing new. Again, dull. Boring. And that's before actually getting into what the specific tactics and strategies for FE are such as:

-The Weapons Triangle

-Certain weapons gaining crit damage to specific classes

-Terrain significantly affecting traversal and cover

You can't put those in a Warriors title without shattering the game. It doesn't work like that. There's nothing mechanically that FE has to offer the Warriors formula. Period. It seems like a match made in heaven, but that's its problem. Too much overlap, which leads to a lot of redundancy which would result in the game turning into a skin instead of having a unique identity like, say, Hyrule Warriors, Pokken Tournament, or Tokyo Mirage Sessions.

I agree with the sentiment that focusing on fewer universes would allow better focus storywise, but to be perfectly honest, I haven't just curbed my enthusiasm for the story after Fates, I've curbstomped it. This is going to be pandering ridiculous fun, and I'm just concerned it won't be the right kind of pandering ridiculous fun. Especially since the characters I'm excited about being able to play as in Fates are... rather limited.

Edited by Alastor15243

How is shafting Tellius understandable? Yes, the games sold poorly, but Ike is very popular and a repeat Smash member. People will question why he's in Smash, yet not spin-offs of his own fucking series if this keeps up. Same with Roy to a lesser extent. I myself actually will not buy if this game is only Archanea/Awakening/Fates.

Also, if Elibe has Smash appeal, so does Tellius for what I just said.

Tellius not being included isn't my most desired option at all but I don't think it can boast of the same contribution as some other games can. I may like Tellius over Awakening and the Akanea games but one of those has a reputation of saving the series and the other started it all while the GBA games were the starting point of most veteran players.

That's unfortunate, that's not good but it is at it is. If choices have to be made its a logical continent that just has to wait for a while. I'd still give it highter odds then Jugdral or Magvel.

With regards to representing series' mechanics in beat-em-up gameplay, I feel the weapon triangle could be implemented in a fashion similar to Samurai Warriors 4-2's way that most enemy officers resisted Godspeed attacks, not fully blocking them but taking less damage and generally not being stunned by such attacks; you can just switch up your attack then to compensate. Something to that effect with a bad weapon matchup. I really want to see L'Arachel, if any character, in the game because she'd fit right in a multiverse setting in general (slightly my biased opinion though I can dream) and her personality just writes itself almost into such a hamfisted plot that could develop.

I do think it would be a particular bad move if Elibe got shafted. Jugdral, Magvel and even Tellius I can understand but Elibe houses the games that introduced many people to Fire emblem so it would deserve the credit of making it in a crossover. It also has Smash appeal.

It could just be that they're basically confirming Marth, Chrom, Corrin, Ryoma, and Xander just to get all the new FE fans' attention. The fact that they put in lesser known characters like Agitha and Medli into Hyrule Warriors means that there's hope for representation of Elibe, Tellius, Jugdral, Valentia, Magvel, and possibly TMS games.

Edited by Roflolxp54

I'm cautiously optimistic. Between DW8, SW4 and 4-II, and Hyrule Warriors Koei's been on a good streak, so I have hopes, but at the same time I know Koei can take the easy way out sometimes.

I'm not quite sure why people seem to be assuming the roster will be as small as Hyrule Warriors', given that FE has way more characters to work with than Zelda does. I wouldn't be surprised if we ended up with 2-4 characters from each continent overall.

With regards to representing series' mechanics in beat-em-up gameplay, I feel the weapon triangle could be implemented in a fashion similar to Samurai Warriors 4-2's way that most enemy officers resisted Godspeed attacks, not fully blocking them but taking less damage and generally not being stunned by such attacks; you can just switch up your attack then to compensate.

Alternatively, they could do something similar to the Heaven-Man-Earth triangle from DW8, if they include some form of weapon switching.

I agree with the sentiment that focusing on fewer universes would allow better focus storywise, but let's be honest, I haven't just curbed my enthusiasm for the story, I've curbstomped it. This is going to be pandering ridiculous fun, and I'm just concerned it won't be the right kind of pandering ridiculous fun.

True, which is why I'm okay with the base game not having every FE universe. But I still think that Tellius, Archanea, Awakening, and Fates at LEAST ought to be in the base game. Maybe Elibe too. The rest of the universes can be DLC.

Er, they've already done that before with the Empires titles. It would be nothing new. Again, dull. Boring. And that's before actually getting into what the specific tactics and strategies for FE are such as:

-The Weapons Triangle

-Certain weapons gaining crit damage to specific classes

-Terrain significantly affecting traversal and cover

You can't put those in a Warriors title without shattering the game. It doesn't work like that. There's nothing mechanically that FE has to offer the Warriors formula. Period. It seems like a match made in heaven, but that's its problem. Too much overlap, which leads to a lot of redundancy which would result in the game turning into a skin instead of having a unique identity like, say, Hyrule Warriors, Pokken Tournament, or Tokyo Mirage Sessions.

Empires did kinda the basics, but the execution could be much more FE-like. A quick access mini-map to command officers (no having to pause and go to the menu)? Maps divided up into tiles to further the feel and compliment the latter? A proper FE-esque weapon triangle (instead of the heaven/earth/man random element crap in DW8)?

The one thing I'm optimistic about is the gameplay-- there are too many ideas that could be done, with a greater level of refinement and functionality than what the Empires subseries does.

Tellius not being included isn't my most desired option at all but I don't think it can boast of the same contribution as some other games can. I may like Tellius over Awakening and the Akanea games but one of those has a reputation of saving the series and the other started it all while the GBA games were the starting point of most veteran players.

That's unfortunate, that's not good but it is at it is. If choices have to be made its a logical continent that just has to wait for a while. I'd still give it highter odds then Jugdral or Magvel.

I'll give Tellius one thing - their villains would rock, and I think the runner-up would be Jugdral. Nergal doesn't have the same kind of charisma that the likes of Ashnard/Arvis has, and Lyon will either be a rather pathetic attempt at a sympathetic villain (Eir) or just another goon bent on destroying the good guys (Eph).

Yet all of the above are a lot better than anything Awakening/Fates has to offer (while I think Walhart is a natural choice, I can't stand his character).

With regards to representing series' mechanics in beat-em-up gameplay, I feel the weapon triangle could be implemented in a fashion similar to Samurai Warriors 4-2's way that most enemy officers resisted Godspeed attacks, not fully blocking them but taking less damage and generally not being stunned by such attacks; you can just switch up your attack then to compensate. Something to that effect with a bad weapon matchup. I really want to see L'Arachel, if any character, in the game because she'd fit right in a multiverse setting in general (slightly my biased opinion though I can dream) and her personality just writes itself almost into such a hamfisted plot that could develop.

Like I said, I wouldn't be surprised if they made the game like Bladestorm where different units are more or less effective depending on weapon type i.e. Horses being strong against knives, rapiers, swords, spears, axes and engineers but weak against longspears, clubs, bows, horsebows, camels, explosives and magic.

I'll give Tellius one thing - their villains would rock, and I think the runner-up would be Jugdral. Nergal doesn't have the same kind of charisma that the likes of Ashnard/Arvis has, and Lyon will either be a rather pathetic attempt at a sympathetic villain (Eir) or just another goon bent on destroying the good guys (Eph).

Yet all of the above are a lot better than anything Awakening/Fates has to offer (while I think Walhart is a natural choice, I can't stand his character).

I think Arvis in particular would make for a great moveset since he's an armored mage who's spell looks like a nuke and who can use almost every weapon to go along with his magic.

Villains of the newer Fire emblems or even the shadow dragon ones would be a bit of a problem. Out of all of them I find only Hardin to be a villain worth something.

Empires did kinda the basics, but the execution could be much more FE-like. A quick access mini-map to command officers (no having to pause and go to the menu)? Maps divided up into tiles to further the feel and compliment the latter? A proper FE-esque weapon triangle (instead of the heaven/earth/man random element crap in DW8)?

The one thing I'm optimistic about is the gameplay-- there are too many ideas that could be done, with a greater level of refinement and functionality than what the Empires subseries does.

Except that would bog it down substantially and considering how the player is going to do most of the heavy lifting anyway (and why wouldn't they, considering how carving through thousands of mooks like butter is so therapeutic) it would be redundant. And again, putting the weapons triangle in would run counter intuitive to the Warriors formula (which was why the triangle in DW8 was stupid) as the point of a Warriors game is to hack and slash. That's the biggest thing: what few FE elements don't overlap with the Warriors formula detract from it. Like I said, the game will be fine, but it's not going to do anything new like HW did and it's certainly going to be the least interesting of the Nintendo crossovers and the Warriors crossovers.

I'm cautiously optimistic. Between DW8, SW4 and 4-II, and Hyrule Warriors Koei's been on a good streak, so I have hopes, but at the same time I know Koei can take the easy way out sometimes.

I'm not quite sure why people seem to be assuming the roster will be as small as Hyrule Warriors', given that FE has way more characters to work with than Zelda does. I wouldn't be surprised if we ended up with 2-4 characters from each continent overall.

Alternatively, they could do something similar to the Heaven-Man-Earth triangle from DW8, if they include some form of weapon switching.

Yeah, I pretty much agree with this post aside from the Warriors series stuff since I've never actually played those. Hyrule Warriors is all I played and of course, I loved it. :P

I can definitely see a few characters from each continent overall since FE's cast is huge! Here's who I would include from each, based on my familiarity with every continent (which isn't much for Gaiden, Jugdral, or Archanea, sadly, so forgive me here):

Tellius

Ike

Elincia

Black Knight

Micaiah

Ashnard

Ashera (maybe)

Archanea

Marth

Caeda

Merric

Elice (?)

Elibe

Eliwood

Hector

Lyn

Nergal

Roy

Lilina

Zephiel (maybe)

Magvel

Ephraim

Eirika

Seth

Lyon

Awakening

Chrom

Lucina

Robin

Frederick (I actually just might buy the game anyway if he's in even if Tellius isn't there (in the base game)... <3)

Validar

Fates

Corrin

All Nohr and Hoshido royals (including Azura)

Garon

Jugdral

Sigurd

Seliph

Leif

Arvis

Valencia

Alm

Celica

Edited by Anacybele

Except that would bog it down substantially and considering how the player is going to do most of the heavy lifting anyway (and why wouldn't they, considering how carving through thousands of mooks like butter is so therapeutic) it would be redundant. And again, putting the weapons triangle in would run counter intuitive to the Warriors formula (which was why the triangle in DW8 was stupid) as the point of a Warriors game is to hack and slash. That's the biggest thing: what few FE elements don't overlap with the Warriors formula detract from it. Like I said, the game will be fine, but it's not going to do anything new like HW did and it's certainly going to be the least interesting of the Nintendo crossovers and the Warriors crossovers.

The big reason that DW8's "weapon triangle" sucked was because it was randomized; it wasn't "certain weapon types trump certain weapon types", it was "randomly distributed attribute trumps randomly distributed attribute". An FE-esque weapon triangle working off of Fates', coupled with DW8's weapon switching system, could work out much better.

Really, I don't think much else can be said besides I'll agree to disagree.

One idea I had that might be able to help out with the potentially bloated cast would be to let you take NPCs with you into battle to fight alongside you with simplified movesets, and these could be less major characters that otherwise wouldn't make the cut.

It would also make the game feel more fire emblem-y if you're commanding a small army and not just leading one unit.

I think Arvis in particular would make for a great moveset since he's an armored mage who's spell looks like a nuke and who can use almost every weapon to go along with his magic.

Villains of the newer Fire emblems or even the shadow dragon ones would be a bit of a problem. Out of all of them I find only Hardin to be a villain worth something.

Lang might be interesting, if only as a lackey to someone. He did that job well enough, to the point where I had fun kicking him around in FE12.

Now if Owais makes it in

will he be a dark mage or a samurai

Samurai in a Dark Mage's outfit, of course! :P:

Welp my dream game just got announced.

I'm wondering how the hell fliers are gonna work. Since pegasi/wyverns are one of the trademark FE classes I'd expect them to be included but it'd be quite odd if they worked like any other ground unit with their larger models and hovering.

One idea I had that might be able to help out with the potentially bloated cast would be to let you take NPCs with you into battle to fight alongside you with simplified movesets, and these could be less major characters that otherwise wouldn't make the cut.

It would also make the game feel more fire emblem-y if you're commanding a small army and not just leading one unit.

Yeah, that's what happens in Bladestorm. You command a squad of units that have different abilities depending on what kind of unit they are. In this case, the unit you run with would depend on what character you play as.