FIRE EMBLEM WARRIORS

Captain Karnage

Hey, there's moods between "absolute hype" and "FML". I'm at cautious optimism - maybe this will be the best thing since TMS (which I really liked), maybe it won't, but SOMEONE will like it, and that's enough for me. Perhaps those who are more interested in Warriors than FE will come over and give FE a whirl! In other words, even if you were "burned" in the past, don't let it turn into a damper for other things!

That'd be great if we got an influx of more Warriors players here, but I'm honestly surprised we have as many as we do already.

• Replies 472
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I disagree, I think we can expect a bit more than that for the base game. Not a whole lot more, but I think 25-30 characters at base is more realistic.

Also, Hyrule Warriors hasn't even gotten a true sequel yet, as Legends is just a port. I skipped it for that reason. If we do get a sequel that includes more characters at base though, hey, I'm all for it, whether it's for Hyrule Warriors, FE Warriors, or both get this treatment.

That is... quite a bit more characters than should be focused on. I'd expect at most 20 characters and that's being extremely optimistic that the quality of those characters won't drop. Hyrule Warriors only including playable characters from OoT, Twilight Princess, and Skyward Sword, in addition to original characters and original incarnations of existing characters for a total of 13 characters at base was an extremely good decision; At the moment, there are no one in the original cast of characters that outright suck (except for Fi, and she is only bad because most characters/weapons can A Rank stuff and clear Hero Difficulty Legend Mode scenarios easier than she can, not because she can't do either of those things with some sort of consistency). And of course, with DLC, free updates, and Legends introducing new characters, the developers had enough time to focus on making each of them not suck with extremely good results (of the characters introduced after the base characters, only Tetra struggled with consistently meeting A Rank requirements at first; now of course we know the combos and tricks to make her adequate).

Also, Legends is an expansion, not a port, thanks to the introduction of new gameplay mechanics and getting new stories for Legend Mode and new maps for Adventure Mode, in addition to rebalancing the game so that every base game map has a natural level/weapon range that you can conceivably complete them, and levelling up after hitting 99 is no longer a necessity to clear the most difficult DLC Maps in Legends. And also fixing some other issues.

That is... quite a bit more characters than should be focused on. I'd expect at most 20 characters and that's being extremely optimistic that the quality of those characters won't drop. Hyrule Warriors only including playable characters from OoT, Twilight Princess, and Skyward Sword, in addition to original characters and original incarnations of existing characters for a total of 13 characters at base was an extremely good decision; At the moment, there are no one in the original cast of characters that outright suck (except for Fi, and she is only bad because most characters/weapons can A Rank stuff and clear Hero Difficulty Legend Mode scenarios easier than she can, not because she can't do either of those things with some sort of consistency). And of course, with DLC, free updates, and Legends introducing new characters, the developers had enough time to focus on making each of them not suck with extremely good results (of the characters introduced after the base characters, only Tetra struggled with consistently meeting A Rank requirements at first; now of course we know the combos and tricks to make her adequate).

Also, Legends is an expansion, not a port, thanks to the introduction of new gameplay mechanics and getting new stories for Legend Mode and new maps for Adventure Mode, in addition to rebalancing the game so that every base game map has a natural level/weapon range that you can conceivably complete them, and levelling up after hitting 99 is no longer a necessity to clear the most difficult DLC Maps in Legends. And also fixing some other issues.

Sorry, but like I said, I disagree. I think you're being far too limited and quite underestimating just what can be done. A roster of 25-30 characters at base can be good quality. If you see the list I made earlier, I included characters of several classes, including shapeshifters, and even a dancer/singer type unit in Azura. There were mounted units, a few archers, some mages, and of course swords, axes, and lances.

Also, even if a few characters weren't as good quality, that hasn't stopped people from accepting clones in Smash just so the roster is a bit bigger. Why are people saying that focusing more on quantity is fine for Smash, but not for this game? I don't like blatant clones myself, but I'm fine with characters who are a little similar to one another.

Yet this "expansion" was never made available for the Wii U version. You had to get the 3DS version or you were out of luck. It's a port with a few extra goodies, that's it.

Edited by Anacybele

Sorry, but like I said, I disagree. I think you're being far too limited and quite underestimating just what can be done. A roster of 25-30 characters at base can be good quality. If you see the list I made earlier, I included characters of several classes, including shapeshifters, and even a dancer/singer type unit in Azura. There were mounted units, a few archers, some mages, and of course swords, axes, and lances.

Also, even if a few characters weren't as good quality, that hasn't stopped people from accepting clones in Smash just so the roster is a bit bigger. Why are people saying that focusing more on quantity is fine for Smash, but not for this game? I don't like blatant clones myself, but I'm fine with characters who are a little similar to one another.

Yet this "expansion" was never made available for the Wii U version. You had to get the 3DS version or you were out of luck. It's a port with a few extra goodies, that's it.

I don't mind clones myself, but considering that even Smash tends to go for "semiclones" over "clones" in general and typically only include clones if they actually have time to spare after adding literally everything else that they want to focus on. Smash's now-legendary roster wasn't built up in one game (In fact, new additions in Smash tend to be around 10-12 characters each game while the rest get adjusted and occasionally revamped). It was built up over 4 (technically 5, but you know) games.

In fact, I don't mind having characters use the same weapon type in Warriors in general, but adding 25-30 characters at base means character development is stretched out over a total of 25-30 guys who each needs stats and movesets (which together determines what things a character is good at, what kind of combos they can conceivably do, how good they clear crowds, and other stuff) to set themselves apart from each other, and they all need to work properly! That would be a tremenduous task, especially if you're thinking up things like story scenarios, extra modes, equipment to upgrade them, special stuff, and so on and on.

I mean, what if having to work on all that means that if for example Ike is among the roster, and you finally get him, and then he and a third of that roster turns out to royally suck and be downright unplayable! If they instead went with a smaller roster at the beginning, some extra manhours could go to Ike (if he's in), he could be playtested more, and they could iron out his kinks and make him fun and enjoyable to play as, while still balancing him out and giving him nichés compared to the rest of the characters.

Legends is still an expansion: It expands on the story, the roster, the amount of stuff to do, what you can do, and the way it is played. That Wii U didn't get all those features could be chalked up to this: Most of the stuff introduced in Legends is incompatible with the Wii U version or designed for Legends.

I don't mind clones myself, but considering that even Smash tends to go for "semiclones" over "clones" in general and typically only include clones if they actually have time to spare after adding literally everything else that they want to focus on. Smash's now-legendary roster wasn't built up in one game (In fact, new additions in Smash tend to be around 10-12 characters each game while the rest get adjusted and occasionally revamped). It was built up over 4 (technically 5, but you know) games.

In fact, I don't mind having characters use the same weapon type in Warriors in general, but adding 25-30 characters at base means character development is stretched out over a total of 25-30 guys who each needs stats and movesets (which together determines what things a character is good at, what kind of combos they can conceivably do, how good they clear crowds, and other stuff) to set themselves apart from each other, and they all need to work properly! That would be a tremenduous task, especially if you're thinking up things like story scenarios, extra modes, equipment to upgrade them, special stuff, and so on and on.

I mean, what if having to work on all that means that if for example Ike is among the roster, and you finally get him, and then he and a third of that roster turns out to royally suck and be downright unplayable! If they instead went with a smaller roster at the beginning, some extra manhours could go to Ike (if he's in), he could be playtested more, and they could iron out his kinks and make him fun and enjoyable to play as, while still balancing him out and giving him nichés compared to the rest of the characters.

Now you're just being pessimistic and negative. You said yourself that no one in Hyrule Warriors really sucked, and this shows that Koei knows how to not make characters suck. We also don't know exactly how long development has been going for the game. And if there do wind up being some issues with some characters in the end, there's a thing called patches. Smash did it lots of times.

Also, Smash Wii U/3DS has over 30 characters, not including DLC and it's agreed to be the most balanced in the series. I'm pretty sure it's possible to do the same in a Warriors game with the same number of characters.

If the vary minimum is actually the base roster (13)

And we have pretty much confirmed 5 characters... Who could be the other eight?

What makes you say 13? Anyway, I would guess/hope for Ike, Elincia, Robin, Lucina, Frederick, Caeda, Azura, and a villain as the other eight. A few more villains would be added later via DLC like Volga, Wizzro, and Cia were for Hyrule Warriors.

Edited by Anacybele

L'Arachel (and gang, probably)

Rather than L'Arachel's gang being separate characters I think it would be pretty in character if they were part of her moveset instead. I could totally see L'arachel's moves to be her making her underlings fight while she cheers them on, says silly things and tosses the occasional bolt of magic.

A bit of how skull kid's normal attacks eventually sends out a puppet to hit for her she could have Dozla appear to smash the enemy if she hits the A button long enough.

I don't know what all this talk of clones is. The last game Koei did that had "clones" was Warriors Orochi 3. That game only had clones because all the Dynasty Warriors characters were adapted from Dynasty Warriors 7, which had a customization weapons system, and not as many weapons as characters, so movesets had to be shared. In Dynasty Warriors 8, every character had access to a unique weapon. And Dynasty Warriors 7 had around 60 characters. Why you guys seem to think a game with less than half that will have clones is beyond me.

On another note, do you guys think this game could involve shipping? I'm not talking about full blown marriage and stuff, I mean hints/implications of certain FE pairings. For instance, Chrom making a hint that Sumia is his wife. I hope Koei doesn't do this though, it would step on a lot of people's toes.

I think a previous idea of mine where I talked about tying movesets to a class rather than a character might make it into the game in some form or another.

A set number of characters could be fully playable with their own unique moveset. We can compare those to how the playable characters in Dynasty/Samurai warriors function.

But in the warrior games there are also a lot of ''generics'' spread throughout the maps who are there to serve as allies or enemies and when they were important to a particular event in history they get a little bit of time devoted to them. These all have generic movesets like sword and spear fighter. Lately the more important of these characters have been given unique designs.

I think that could be a nice compromise. Make a generic moveset for officers that ties into the different classes and give them the appearance and personality of actual characters who just didn't make the cut as full playable characters. Maybe these could be playable or maybe they could not but their presence would be a nice way to make the world seem more interesting and increase the amount of familiar faces we will see.

We can safely say Peri isn't going to become a full playable character but perhaps if you have a stage where you fight against Xander you can run into her fighting for her lord. Peri would fight like a generic cavalier but talk and act like Peri in her personality and role in the story

Edited by Etrurian emperor

I've been thinking a little about clones in this game. In Dynasty warriors 7 I hated the fact that everyone was a clone of each other with only one move and a special to tell the difference. Still I think a clone or two might actually benefit this game. Fire Emblem is a series mostly about classes. So why not include a handfull of class movesets? For example the game could add two archer templates. An archer and a sniper which is just a statistically better archer. That template could be used for pretty much every single archer that isn't Takumi and Briggid. So now you can add Gordin tagging along with Marth, Wolt with Roy, Virion with Chrom etc. The same can be done with Paladins, Mages, Generals, Etc.

Don't get me wrong I still want and expect fully unique characters like the lords and the bad guys, but I believe some class based fighting styles with different skins could be used to recreate a thing the series is well known for. An army with lots of characters that tag along with their lord.

Edited by Sasori

That might work, but only if it were an Empires style game, taking place during the events of a single game, which I doubt this game is.

Well, it very well could be.

Fire emblem is all about managing the actions of your forces and the empire games lean closer to that direction as well....I think. I've yet to actually play an Empires game but I know the general gist of it.

Perhaps the character switching from Samurai Warriors could be added too. You fight not with one character but with several ones at the same time. Play as a flyer and encounter archers? Just switch to another character, have that character reach the archers and sort it out so your flyer can get past that area. When you aren't controlling a character they do their own thing as npc's.

This way the focus on tactics that's so important in Fire emblem could make its way into a Warriors game.

Edited by Etrurian emperor

On another note, do you guys think this game could involve shipping? I'm not talking about full blown marriage and stuff, I mean hints/implications of certain FE pairings. For instance, Chrom making a hint that Sumia is his wife. I hope Koei doesn't do this though, it would step on a lot of people's toes.

If anything, they would probably do small ship teases with marriageable candidates where applicable (i.e. if Sumia, Olivia, Sully, Maribelle or Fem!Robin are in the game). Not anything overt, but maybe some lines of ambiguous dialogue. That, or they just won't bother at all.

Edited by saisymbolic

Perhaps the character switching from Samurai Warriors could be added too. You fight not with one character but with several ones at the same time. Play as a flyer and encounter archers? Just switch to another character, have that character reach the archers and sort it out so your flyer can get past that area. When you aren't controlling a character they do their own thing as npc's.

This way the focus on tactics that's so important in Fire emblem could make its way into a Warriors game.

That's actually a good point. That is a possibility, but only if there are a good number of characters to chose from. Having switching in a game with a limited cast would make them get stale much faster.

That's actually a good point. That is a possibility, but only if there are a good number of characters to chose from. Having switching in a game with a limited cast would make them get stale much faster.

Hyrule Warriors 3ds had the characters switching too and I didn't hear any complaints regarding that. So assuming this roster is equal or bigger in size than the one of Hyrule Warriors that might not be a problem.

Hey, there's moods between "absolute hype" and "FML". I'm at cautious optimism - maybe this will be the best thing since TMS (which I really liked), maybe it won't, but SOMEONE will like it, and that's enough for me. Perhaps those who are more interested in Warriors than FE will come over and give FE a whirl! In other words, even if you were "burned" in the past, don't let it turn into a damper for other things!

"Cautious optimism" is about how I'm feeling too, yeah. I really hope we'll see representation for the entire series, as DLC at the very least (what's a Musou game without Hector?), but even if we don't... Fire Emblem Warriors is still a concept I've been wanting to see for a long time. And Caeda is pretty likely to be playable, which will make me happy.

I'm not the biggest fan of the series, since I tend to get tired of the gameplay long before completing everything. But they're always fun for a while, and this is one I'm looking forward to trying.

Generally speaking, Koei Tecmo has had a history of going full on with the fanservice when it comes to representation. With Hyrule Warriors they got just about every 3D Zelda, and then eventually even got down to Link's Awakening, which was nice. I'm hoping that Fire Emblem Warriors gets the same treatment. If they only included Marth, Fates, and Awakening characters, then it would just be doing a huge disservice to the series as a whole, which is why I imagine they probably are just starting off with those games for the initial trailer, and then as the game is presented, they would go through the representation from other games.

I'm wondering who the potential joke characters are, Hyrule Warriors gave us Agatha after all. Due to his small following in Japan, and his recent cameo in CODE NAME: S.T.E.A.M., I actually think that Wrys might potentially have a chance of being a playable character if Tecmo Koei does decide to include more characters than just Awakening, Fates, and Marth.

Meanwhile, you guys arlready know who's on my wishlist, Garnef boooois.

On another note, can the thread title be changed and not have capital letters? It feels awkward :<, like somebody screaming or shouting

Come on, man, where's your sense of hype?

FAAAA-I-YAAAA EEEM-BURE-MUUU!

The "joke" character I see with the highest chance has to be Oliver. I see people tease him a lot. I personally hate him and would never touch him at all if he were playable, but still.