Fire Emblem Direct: January 18th 2PM PT/5PM ET

Anacybele

Ah, the music, the epic battle (that never even got mentioned in the actual game lol), gorilla laguz Garon, not!Ninian, Lobster Lord, Marx and Communism... etc. All good memories. The April trailer after this one was also one of the best things that happened.

But this time, even if there are FE15 information, I'll still keep my expectations as low as possible. The FE14 hype only made me feel "betrayed" when the actual game came out, so I'll definitely not make the same mistake again. Oh well...

I think I'm going to remember the hype and speculation on FE14 more fondly than the game itself. My favorite points of speculation was thinking that Orochi (from her map sprite) was a strange new beast transformer (which, ironically, we got two more of in Wolfskin and Kitsune, although they don't appear in the trailer), the reason why Rinka does so little damage in her dual strike, wondering who might be strangling Azura and everyone freaking out over swords > bows in the weapon triangle.

Bring on that FE15 pre-release hype.

Edited by NekoKnight

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I saw over on the Reddit in a discussion, someone posted a paste bin that is supposedly (take all following info with a grain of salt) the leaked description of the upcoming Direct. Besides the fact that it is way too detailed for it to be a point for point exact description of a direct, there are a few things that are fishy to me, but I still want to discuss.

The most important being FE 15. Supposedly (again, grain of salt) 15 will be announced at the last part of the direct. (Most of the direct will be about FE Warriors, and nothing else, which alone was fishy since Fates still does not have an official statement of development being done). Now here are the things that sounded super fishy to me. First off, it is heavily inspired by Japan, much like Hoshido. The graphics are supposed to be much better, showing upgraded character models and attack animations, etc. overall the details on a supposed trailer were really vague for something claiming to be a description of what it is supposed to be.

Now my issue with this is it makes no sense. Going full on Japan would be a huge abandonment of everything Fire Emblem. You could kiss goodbye Knights, Paladins, Dark Mages, Webern Riders, Berserkers/Fighters, Heroes, Mercs, etc. if this were to happen. Let alone weapons. Fates got away with it because Nohr was still there, and held the traditional classes. Second, as I said already, the deacription was way too vague for this to be real. It had a description of a background, a fight scene including a ninja, a map, and that is it. No cinematically, no character descriptions, nothing of he sort. The last image is just the year 3018. Compared to the sneak peak we got of Fates a while back, this is nothing. Fates at least gave us a look at both kingdoms, most major characters, a look at a few maps, some of the classes, and a few in game cinematics.

So overall, I really think I needs to be taken with a grain of salt. It makes no sense for this to happen.

Edit: phone causing problems.

Edited by Tolvir

I think I'm going to remember the hype and speculation on FE14 more fondly than the game itself. My favorite points of speculation was thinking that Orochi (from her map sprite) was a strange new beast transformer (which, ironically, we got two more of in Wolfskin and Kitsune, although they don't appear in the trailer), the reason why Rinka does so little damage in her dual strike, wondering who might be strangling Azura and everyone freaking out over swords > bows in the weapon triangle.

Yeah that was definitely a really fun time. I remember pausing and looking at each frame of the trailers to hunt for some small details (some of which were proven to be accurate). I think I'll do that again with FE15, even if I can never feel the same level of hype again. Also, if FE15 are to be on the Switch, I hope that it will follow the same aesthetic style as the first few seconds of the Fates teaser trailer/opening.

Edited by Ryo

Btw, I'm unfortunately on my phone so I can't post the link to the description. But over on the Reddit, there is a thread about what you Expect at the direct this week. Somewhere in the comments there is one that just says this. with a link to a paste bin. That is what I am talking about if anyone is interested in reading it.

Edit: after re reading the description, it supposedly includes a few characters, like a female pink haired samurai and a pink haired ninja, and it supposedly shows a few characters within backgrounds and the like. Even so, it still sounds way to fishy and unlikely for me. It doesn't sound right at all.

Edited by Tolvir

Yeah, I don't really think going full on Japan makes any sense either. And that does sound vague. I definitely think it's a pretty unlikely prediction. And besides, stuff like this gets fake leaks a lot. I can't remember how many fake Direct and E3 listings we've had over the years.

Yeah, I don't really think going full on Japan makes any sense either. And that does sound vague. I definitely think it's a pretty unlikely prediction. And besides, stuff like this gets fake leaks a lot. I can't remember how many fake Direct and E3 listings we've had over the years.

Trust me, I've seen my fair share of fake leaks, lol. There are a ton of them around the time of Blizzcon for World of Warcraft all the time, especially when a new expansion is about to be announced. Fake names, fake plots, fake new classes or races, etc. It's why I said to take it with a grain of salt. Especially since it was on Paste Bin on top of it. I don't think I have ever heard of a leak of any notable validity coming from there. Most come from 4chan like when Ryu and Roy got leaked a while back before their announcement.

Was Birthright even that popular to begin with? Even if it had better first-choice sales, I'd imagine most people would just purchase the other versions anyway.

Although, not that I believe in the supposed leak, but we also can't rule out the possibility that FE15 may be set in Fates' world, or even a direct sequel/prequel of one of the routes. In which case, having Japanese-influenced locations, cultures, and certain gameplay elements is inevitable.

Edited by Ryo

Exactly two years ago... this happened.

Man, Fates' trailers get me every time. They're so damn good.

I remember thinking Azura would be manipulative, cold-hearted and self-serving and end up being a boss in one of the routes. Ah, those were the days.

So uh, that strangling scene never happens in the game, right? I can't seem to remember it. I mean yeah maybe it's supposed to represent what happens at the plaza after chapter five, but this could've been a cool cutscene.

What I want: FE Warriors gameplay, FE 15 announcement (even if juts a tease).

What I expect: FE Warriors gameplay, FE Mobile announcement.

Pipe dream: Anna amiibo for FE Warriors

Honestly, I'll be happy with anything shown here. More Fire Emblem is never bad news to me, and I'm glad it's already geared up for the Switch.

I really hope we get more Warriors info, and or footage. I'd like to provide people with some insight on potential trends we could see judging from what they show us, and well of course the news itself haha.

Man, Fates' trailers get me every time. They're so damn good.

I remember thinking Azura would be manipulative, cold-hearted and self-serving and end up being a boss in one of the routes. Ah, those were the days.

So uh, that strangling scene never happens in the game, right? I can't seem to remember it. I mean yeah maybe it's supposed to represent what happens at the plaza after chapter five, but this could've been a cool cutscene.

Speaking of shit that never happened, Azura's necklace sure got a lot of focus and people thought it might be the Fire Emblem. Nope, just a necklace.

Speaking of shit that never happened, Azura's necklace sure got a lot of focus and people thought it might be the Fire Emblem. Nope, just a necklace.

True, it's even in the title screen, falling to the bottom of the ocean or whatever. You know, I remember thinking it would turn out to be the Fire Emblem too.

Huh, think those were deliberate curveballs or did these things change during development? I remember Peri being described in Famitsu as having a separate, violent alter ego on the battlefield, but that's just her default self. I wonder if that was a misunderstanding or if they changed that as well.

Edited by Thane

True, it's even in the title screen, falling to the bottom of the ocean or whatever. You know, I remember thinking it would turn out to be the Fire Emblem too.

Huh, think those were deliberate curveballs or did these things change during development? I remember Peri being described in Famitsu as having a separate, violent alter ego on the battlefield, but that's just her default self. I wonder if that was a misunderstanding or if they changed that as well.

That's more or less Reina(Yuugiri), maybe they got them mixed up.

Leo was also described as underhanded and pragmatic... yet while definitely being tactical minded, he displayed a defined sense of honor in both Conquest and Revelation.

Thinking it was a mixture of last-minute changes and intentional misleading.

You know, now you bring that up, I feel like it's kind of a missed opportunity. Sure, it's pretty cool having the Yato be the Fire Emblem for this world and makes sense in the context of the story, with it being a sword destined to be wielded by the one destined to bring the world to peace, but Azura's necklace would've been cool too and is equally logical due to its effects when combined with Azura's Song.

I'm hoping that they give us something to justify the amiibo purchases that I'm increasingly regretting.

But more importantly, I'm wondering what else they could possibly be discussing besides mobile and warriors, because I'm of the opinion that that's not enough to fill an entire Fire Emblem direct.

Personally I'm hoping for announcements of re-releases, or even re-makes, of old games.

...Still won't let go of my wild fantasy of hearing Sacred Stones music remade, particularly The Prince's Despair and getting to hear Truth, Despair and Hope (Ablaze), or whatever it would be called (I always imagined it being (Mars) for Ephraim's map themes, (Venus) for Eirika's, and (Earth) for the maps with both of them).

...Still won't let go of my wild fantasy of hearing Sacred Stones music remade, particularly The Prince's Despair and getting to hear Truth, Despair and Hope (Ablaze), or whatever it would be called (I always imagined it being (Mars) for Ephraim's map themes, (Venus) for Eirika's, and (Earth) for the maps with both of them).

To be honest, I never liked Sacred Stones all that much, but I gather it's one of the more revered games, so I'd be very happy for its fans were it to be remade, and I'd be happy to give it a second chance if it gets streamlined with all of Fates' quality of life stuff, and I think the new attack flow option is a given.

To be honest, I never liked Sacred Stones all that much, but I gather it's one of the more revered games, so I'd be very happy for its fans were it to be remade, and I'd be happy to give it a second chance if it gets streamlined with all of Fates' quality of life stuff, and I think the new attack flow option is a given.

Sacred Stones isn't my favorite game, but it has a lot of stuff that's very dear to my heart, like the best-looking generals in the entire series (That sword animation, holy shit), my favorite music of the GBA era, and my favorite villain in the series. So I'd really love to see a remake.

It'll most likely focus on Fire Emblem Mobile and Fire Emblem Warriors. It'd be a good time to announce the status of the Corrin amiibo and maybe even have their own Fire Emblem series or FE Warriors series amiibo that could be compatible with Fire Emblem Warriors and the eventual new FE for the Switch.

Was Birthright even that popular to begin with? Even if it had better first-choice sales, I'd imagine most people would just purchase the other versions anyway.

Although, not that I believe in the supposed leak, but we also can't rule out the possibility that FE15 may be set in Fates' world, or even a direct sequel/prequel of one of the routes. In which case, having Japanese-influenced locations, cultures, and certain gameplay elements is inevitable.

True, but my issue with the leak was this. It never claimed to be a direct sequel. What it claimed was that due to Hoshido, or Birthright, being the more "popular" path due to being bought more, they want to go with what was more popular. Here is the issue with that logic, Birthright was always going to be bought more, at first. It was advertised as the START HERE for Fates. If we are going by popularity, that also means they would abandon map objectives and map variation again, which doesn't sound right.

Its like Pokemon suddenly deciding they are going to focus on certain types of pokemon from now on, and cut the others because they are more popular. It makes no sense whatsoever.

I wouldnt be surprised to see a sequel to Fates (and wouldnt entirely be against it), but this supposed "leak" claimed to be separate.

It'll most likely focus on Fire Emblem Mobile and Fire Emblem Warriors. It'd be a good time to announce the status of the Corrin amiibo and maybe even have their own Fire Emblem series or FE Warriors series amiibo that could be compatible with Fire Emblem Warriors and the eventual new FE for the Switch.

I dont think the next Fire Emblem will be for the Switch, or at least exclusively. Right now, Fire Emblem has sold really well on handhelds. Jumping headfirst into consoles again probably bring flashbacks of Radiant Dawn and Path of Radiance for them. I think it is more likely for either a dual release, or for 15 to still be exclusively Handheld until the Switch gains more traction and gets a solid 1-2 years of being on the market.

Honestly, I really don't think we will ever see Fire Emblem exclusively for console again, I think it will always be either handheld or dual release. If it isn't broke, don't try and fix it. (I also think people are wrong that the Switch is taking over Handheld too. It's mobile gimmick is more of a secondary thing. As Nintendo said, it is a home console first. New 3DS XL is still their main handheld, and with the recent upgrades it got its sticking around for at least a few more years.)

Edited by Tolvir

While the mobility may be a gimmick, it still catches the handheld audience, which is massive in Japan. A Fire Emblem Switch would basically be a 3DS Fire Emblem but prettier and without dual screen functionality, which isn't too much of a problem. In terms of the performance of the Tellius games, the GameCube was an undersold console to begin with and I feel like Radiance just didn't receive enough attention in terms of advertising, especially since everyone was going crazy about the motion controls of the Wii back then.

While I can't imagine myself playing Fire Emblem on a TV, that doesn't mean I don't think it can succeed on Switch, especially given its portability.

While the mobility may be a gimmick, it still catches the handheld audience, which is massive in Japan. A Fire Emblem Switch would basically be a 3DS Fire Emblem but prettier and without dual screen functionality, which isn't too much of a problem. In terms of the performance of the Tellius games, the GameCube was an undersold console to begin with and I feel like Radiance just didn't receive enough attention in terms of advertising, especially since everyone was going crazy about the motion controls of the Wii back then.

While I can't imagine myself playing Fire Emblem on a TV, that doesn't mean I don't think it can succeed on Switch, especially given its portability.

Sure, but I am saying that I doubt 15 will be a release on the Switch. I think Nintendo will be cautious on jumping into another console Fire Emblem.

And again, the Switch, as Nintendo said, is a home console first. While mobility is a gimmick it has, the 3ds still has more to support its mobility. Easier to carry, streetpass, play coins, etc. When the time comes that the 3DS is going to be replaced, it won't be the switch that does it. Nintendo will design a new system for their handheld area.

This. There is no reason not to release an FE on the Switch, especially with FE Warriors coming to it as well. The Switch might be stated to be a home console, but it still has a lot of handheld mobility too.

And the Tellius games didn't sell poorly because of being home console games, they sold poorly due to a lack of marketing and poor release times (PoR came at the end of the GC's lifespan and RD came out at around the same time as Smash Bros. Brawl, at least in the west).

Sure, but I am saying that I doubt 15 will be a release on the Switch. I think Nintendo will be cautious on jumping into another console Fire Emblem.

And again, the Switch, as Nintendo said, is a home console first. While mobility is a gimmick it has, the 3ds still has more to support its mobility. Easier to carry, streetpass, play coins, etc. When the time comes that the 3DS is going to be replaced, it won't be the switch that does it. Nintendo will design a new system for their handheld area.

Except Nintendo has merged their console and handheld dev divisions, so they're obviously committed to pushing the Switch once the 3DS' last few first party titles come out. I don't think they'd co-develop for both consoles either. Unlike Breath of the Wild, where the two platforms are comparable in power, the 3DS and Switch are very different in both power and architecture.

Part of the reason why the 3DS is so massive in Japan in particular is that it has no competition. Sure, smartphones are a thing, but they couldn't come close to running a 3DS sized game. Once the Switch drops, I predict that a lot of current 3DS players in Japan will flock to that because, excepting battery life and the lack of 3D StreetPass (the latter of which I will sorely miss), the Switch is leaps and bounds ahead of the 3DS.