Fire Emblem Direct: January 18th 2PM PT/5PM ET

Anacybele

The Switch uses cartridges/game cards too, which don't look much different from those of the 3DS, so I can see the Switch having backwards compatibility with it. (if I recall, they've only said it won't have backwards compatibility with the Wii U)

Edited by Anacybele

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Except Nintendo has merged their console and handheld dev divisions, so they're obviously committed to pushing the Switch once the 3DS' last few first party titles come out. I don't think they'd co-develop for both consoles either. Unlike Breath of the Wild, where the two platforms are comparable in power, the 3DS and Switch are very different in both power and architecture.

Part of the reason why the 3DS is so massive in Japan in particular is that it has no competition. Sure, smartphones are a thing, but they couldn't come close to running a 3DS sized game. Once the Switch drops, I predict that a lot of current 3DS players in Japan will flock to that because, excepting battery life and the lack of 3D StreetPass (the latter of which I will sorely miss), the Switch is leaps and bounds ahead of the 3DS.

The Vita is a thing, and doess pretty well in Japan, unlike the rest of the world. So yes, actual competition there, even if the 3DS was still king.

Also, even compared to the 3ds, even the XL, the switch is HUGE, especially withthe Joycon controllers. 6 inches of screen PLUS joycons means that another bag is almost a requirement. It is portable, yes, but in the same sense that my tablet is portable. I can't just slip that in my pocket, and I wouldn't want to use it on say, a crowded train like I would a 3DS.

Maybe the switch will eventually kill the 3DS, but it's not quite the same thing.

This. There is no reason not to release an FE on the Switch, especially with FE Warriors coming to it as well. The Switch might be stated to be a home console, but it still has a lot of handheld mobility too.

And the Tellius games didn't sell poorly because of being home console games, they sold poorly due to a lack of marketing and poor release times (PoR came at the end of the GC's lifespan and RD came out at around the same time as Smash Bros. Brawl, at least in the west).

Again, I am not saying it won't be released on the Switch, I am saying it won't be exclusively for the Switch. It will likely be dual release, for the sake of their being a buffer in case it doesn't turn out well. Let me put it this way.

Fire Emblem has sold very well, and got its revival through the 3DS. Fates sold more than any other copy in the history of the series, with Awakening holding the second place. Now, the Switch is releasing. Fire Emblem, in its past, didnt sell well on consoles. Sure there were release issues, etc. But in the end, it still didnt sell well, and nearly met its death at the hand of the consoles. With the Switch being a completely new system, that is not yet proven, let alone released. You have estimated sales ( that is what the pre orders are for), but those can change. The Switch has the capability of selling really well, or completely bombing. Both are entirely possible realities.

At the same time, you have 15 in development. Do you take the risk, and put it on a home console that has yet to even be sold, be proven in any way for its sales, and that the series has historically performed poorly on, or do you wait and go with the safe option? Release 15 on the DS again for ensured sales, give the Switch some time to prove itself on the market and sell some consoles, and then look at a release on the consoles once you know the Switch's position in the market.

I just think Nintendo is going to go with the safe bet of releasing on handheld one last time before looking at a console release. I wouldnt be surprised if that is what Fire Emblem Warriors is for. How much attention can Fire Emblem get on a console?

Its all a game for a business. Opportunity costs, risks, playing it safe. Its a strategy.

Except Nintendo has merged their console and handheld dev divisions, so they're obviously committed to pushing the Switch once the 3DS' last few first party titles come out. I don't think they'd co-develop for both consoles either. Unlike Breath of the Wild, where the two platforms are comparable in power, the 3DS and Switch are very different in both power and architecture.

Part of the reason why the 3DS is so massive in Japan in particular is that it has no competition. Sure, smartphones are a thing, but they couldn't come close to running a 3DS sized game. Once the Switch drops, I predict that a lot of current 3DS players in Japan will flock to that because, excepting battery life and the lack of 3D StreetPass (the latter of which I will sorely miss), the Switch is leaps and bounds ahead of the 3DS.

I am just going to agree to disagree here, because without either of us having any concrete proof, all we are going to do is bounce back and forth until something does happen. I doubt the Switch is going to take full focus already after the 3DS Just had a major updated release with the New 3DS XL. Nintendo also said that the Switch isnt taking over handheld, and that it is a home console first. I also highly doubt the Switch will ever become the main mobile focus. It is too large and clunky.

It is the difference between the Tablets being able to call and text, and your phone being the main source of calls and texts. The Phone will always be the focus of those areas, but the tablet can do it too for variety and options.

Edited by Tolvir

FE Warriors is NOT just to see if FE can sell on the Switch. It's also there because people wanted it, FE has grown a lot in popularity, and FE would work really well with Warriors-style gameplay.

And you're still completely ignoring the marketing factor. No FE game before Awakening had nearly as much marketing and attention as Awakening and Fates did. Also, the first several FE games were on home consoles and FE3 sold pretty well. The Gameboy existed back then too. Shadow Dragon also did not sell much outside of Japan and it's a DS game. FE12 wasn't even released outside of the country because of that! Being handheld or home console does not automatically mean good or bad sales.

Edited by Anacybele

The Vita is a thing, and doess pretty well in Japan, unlike the rest of the world. So yes, actual competition there, even if the 3DS was still king.

Also, even compared to the 3ds, even the XL, the switch is HUGE, especially withthe Joycon controllers. 6 inches of screen PLUS joycons means that another bag is almost a requirement. It is portable, yes, but in the same sense that my tablet is portable. I can't just slip that in my pocket, and I wouldn't want to use it on say, a crowded train like I would a 3DS.

Maybe the switch will eventually kill the 3DS, but it's not quite the same thing.

The Vita has sold about five million units in its lifetime in Japan. The 3DS has sold over three times that amount. I really wouldn't say there's competition here. While you make a fair point on size, that's very subjective. For example, you'd probably see many college students carrying a Switch around since they're already using a rucksack or satchel anyway. Thing is, if you're out and about but aren't taking a bag with, you probably won't be out very long, or going anywhere you'd use a 3DS/Switch in the first place (ASDA, for example).

The Switch uses cartridges/game cards too, which don't look much different from those of the 3DS, so I can see the Switch having backwards compatibility with it. (if I recall, they've only said it won't have backwards compatibility with the Wii U)

Nope, it's been confirmed that neither Wii U nor 3DS physical media will be supported on the Switch. Digital rerelease is a possibility, but I wouldn't hold my breath for it.

Nope, it's been confirmed that neither Wii U nor 3DS physical media will be supported on the Switch. Digital rerelease is a possibility, but I wouldn't hold my breath for it.

Where? Give me proof. Because I'm pretty sure they didn't say this in the presentation. If they did, though, I probably missed it due to the lag.

Where? Give me proof. Because I'm pretty sure they didn't say this in the presentation. If they did, though, I probably missed it due to the lag.

Well, I can't find a solid quote, but it was shortly after the initial reveal. Besides, just look at the thing; it ain't playing a 3DS game, no way, no how.

Well, I can't find a solid quote, but it was shortly after the initial reveal. Besides, just look at the thing; it ain't playing a 3DS game, no way, no how.

Why? The Switch is clearly a more powerful system, it should definitely be able to handle a 3DS game. Bigger screen? Didn't stop the 3DS XL from handling DS games. Or the Wii U getting freaking GBA games! I played Zelda: The Minish Cap on my big screen TV!

Edited by Anacybele

Since IS actually seems to halfway give a damn about critic's opinions, Conquest has the highest metascore of Fates' paths, with the praise predictably directed towards its gameplay.

FE Warriors is NOT just to see if FE can sell on the Switch. It's also there because people wanted it, FE has grown a lot in popularity, and FE would work really well with Warriors-style gameplay.

And you're still completely ignoring the marketing factor. No FE game before Awakening had nearly as much marketing and attention as Awakening and Fates did. Also, the first several FE games were on home consoles and FE3 sold pretty well. The Gameboy existed back then too. Shadow Dragon also did not sell much outside of Japan and it's a DS game. FE12 wasn't even released outside of the country because of that! Being handheld or home console does not automatically mean good or bad sales.

Sure, but there are risky and safe decisions. Putting it on a handheld would be the safe decision, as it has, and likely will, sell well on it. Putting it on the Switch leaves it up in the air. Judging by the past, it could do terrible, but due to its increase in popularity, it could do just fine. Shadow Dragon is a different situation because it is an entirely different system. The DS had the PSP as a larger competitor, so it had more to deal with. And Shadow Dragon was a remake on top of it.

Again, I am not saying it cant or wont happen, I just think they will release 15 on the 3DS, as even when the Switch releases the DS is still going to have a very large group of people using it, and then look at a Switch release for 16. Think like a business, you look at the long term, not the short term.

And you completely misunderstood my point with Warriors. Yes, it is because it was a popular requested thing. But from a business perspective, it is serving two purposes. Fanservice, which is entirely what that game is, and to see how Fire Emblem will do on a console. Its testing the waters. Businesses do this all the time, test the waters. Again, think like a business.

Since IS actually seems to halfway give a damn about critic's opinions, Conquest has the highest metascore of Fates' paths, with the praise predictably directed towards its gameplay.

Yep, which is even more why I think the "leak" is bullshit. It would make no sense to follow Birthright, when critically Conquest was praised more.

if they learn the right lessons from conquest, ie. it had great gameplay, shit story, then fe15 is going to rock

I hope so. I miss RD's quality of gameplay so much. It might not have the best BALANCING, but come on, unique objectives, the ledge mechanics, THIRD TIERS. Also, Tellius had the best story overall too, imo. There's a reason I fangirl over these two games so much. :P

I hope so. I miss RD's quality of gameplay so much. It might not have the best BALANCING, but come on, unique objectives, the ledge mechanics, THIRD TIERS. Also, Tellius had the best story overall too, imo. There's a reason I fangirl over these two games so much. :P

Ledge mechanics? Are we talking about Smash or Fire Emblem?

The hype is really getting to me. I know it's probably futile, but now I really want a teaser of FE15. Sigh, only three more days to go, folks.

FE 15 trailer would be great. It's about the right time for it, and I don't think the bulk of the usual FE dev team will have been working on anything else since FE Mobile and Warriors are both outsourced. And for the love of God, don't make Anna DLC this time. Hell, don't make anyone DLC. The return of Fates' amiibo support is more than welcome though; I'm only missing Lucina, Roy and Corrin from my collection.

Actually, one more wish; If we're getting another avatar character, can they please use the female version for promotional materials this time? Nothing motivating it, I just want a change of pace.

Ledge mechanics? Are we talking about Smash or Fire Emblem?

Did you ever play RD? It's the first and still the only game in the series where non-mounted units can climb ledges to higher altitudes as they move on the map and attack from atop or below the ledges. If they attack from the top, they have a big advantage with more accuracy and avoid. If they attack from the bottom, they're at a big disadvantage with their accuracy and avoid being cut. Mounted units can attack from atop or below as well, but they can't climb them unless their mount flies, I believe.

This helps a lot of ranged, squishy units avoid hits, but dish out damage and level up. I was able to get lots of numbers on units like mages and archers in no time. On the downside though, it nerfed cavalier knights a bit because they could not climb while other mounted units could. I hope for this to be fixed if the ledge mechanics are ever brought back. I'm not saying horses should suddenly be able to climb, but if another route on the map can enable mounted units to get up there efficiently enough, it's not a big problem.

Edited by Anacybele

Did you ever play RD? It's the first and still the only game in the series where non-mounted units can climb ledges to higher altitudes as they move on the map and attack from atop or below the ledges. If they attack from the top, they have a big advantage with more accuracy and avoid. If they attack from the bottom, they're at a big disadvantage with their accuracy and avoid being cut. Mounted units can attack from atop or below as well, but they can't climb them unless their mount flies, I believe.

This helps a lot of ranged, squishy units avoid hits, but dish out damage and level up. I was able to get lots of numbers on units like mages and archers in no time. On the downside though, it nerfed cavalier knights a bit because they could not climb while other mounted units could. I hope for this to be fixed if the ledge mechanics are ever brought back. I'm not saying horses should suddenly be able to climb, but if another route on the map can enable mounted units to get up there efficiently enough, it's not a big problem.

It was a really cool mechanic though, lot of fun to use. Made the castles, castle interiors, and other large indoor maps feel even larger. It also added onto what archers and mages could do, as elevation played into their accuracy and damage.

It was a really cool mechanic though, lot of fun to use. Made the castles, castle interiors, and other large indoor maps feel even larger. It also added onto what archers and mages could do, as elevation played into their accuracy and damage.

Yes, exactly my point!

Yep, which is even more why I think the "leak" is bullshit. It would make no sense to follow Birthright, when critically Conquest was praised more.

I wouldn't count out them using Japanese aesthetics again, if only to let a lot of Hoshido classes carry over.

TBH, I don't think FE Warriors will be shown in the direct. We barely saw anything so I think the game is still on an early phase of development, it wasn't even in the line-up video (unlike Xeno 2, Mario, etc), so I think they don't have any gameplay right now. Maybe they'll give a bit more informations, but nothing more. Same for FE15, it's too soon. Or they rushed it...

Concerning Warriors' cast, I predict it to be filled with a majority of post-FE9 characters, since they exist in a clear 2D (NDS characters) /3D, except maybe Roy and Lyn because they appeared in Smash. I don't see them starting from scratch for characters like Alm or Sigurd, that are barely known outside of the FE community (and not even by the whole community, a lot of people just played 13 and 14).

Edited by Brand_Of_The_Exalt

TBH, I don't think FE Warriors will be shown in the direct. We barely saw anything so I think the game is still on an early phase of development, it wasn't even in the line-up video. Maybe they'll give a bit more informations, but nothing more. Same for FE15, it's too soon. Or they rushed it...

Concerning Warriors' cast, I predict it to be filled with a majority of post-FE9 characters, since they exist in a clear 2D/3D, except maybe Roy and Lyn because they appeared in Smash. I don't see them starting from scratch for characters like Alm or Sigurd, that are barely known outside of the FE community (and not even the whole community, a lot of people just played 13 and 14).

Or it could be they barely showed us anything because they wanted to do the direct for it? Who knows?

I guess we won't know until we see it. Personally I think the time is right for FE15 though. Awakening released in Japan in April 2012 and Fates was announced January 2015. I don't think we'll see gameplay, but a teaser is definitely possible.