should FE go Mainstream or stay Niche?

IainfeelsSicK

25 members have voted

1. 1. Should FE go Mainstream or stay Niche

• Mainstream
    • Niche

With the recent Switch presentation we were graced with Fire Emblem Warriors... tbh I'm not too excited and call me a hipster but I really enjoy Fire Emblem being Niche. But I'm genuinely curious what the community thinks of the change. (You can call me late if you want I know this started with Awakening)

Edited by IainfeelsSicK

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But what about being eccentric is better for Fire Emblem?

If it kept being eccentric, the franchise would eventually die.

Yes, but only we, the chosen few, would get to enjoy it!

...Is the logic behind this, I suspect.

I'd rather topics go into their appropriate subforum. We have a discussion board for general FE topics, such as this one.

I don't see why FE can't do both.

I don't see the opposite relation between eccentricity and being mainstream, tbh.

= EDIT =

Just for the sake of this post being nutritive, I think FE has been mainstream but went kind of eccentric with TMS

Edited by Quintessence

What the fuck does eccentric mean in this context?

But what about being eccentric is better for Fire Emblem?
If it kept being eccentric, the franchise would eventually die.

All things eventually must come to an end. It's why fans of TV shows would prefer shows to end after 4-5 seasons rather than be prolonged and lose what made the show appealing in the first place.

Regardless of that, I see this frequently thrown about and it is, well, just plain wrong. The numbers needed to continue the series after Awankening were not a high benchmark to meet, after all.

All things eventually must come to an end. It's why fans of TV shows would prefer shows to end after 4-5 seasons rather than be prolonged and lose what made the show appealing in the first place.

Regardless of that, I see this frequently thrown about and it is, well, just plain wrong. The numbers needed to continue the series after Awankening were not a high benchmark to meet, after all.

Actually, that's a misunderstanding.

250,000 lifetime sales was not what was needed to ensure the series' future; it was merely the sales target. We do have -as a quote- that they were told that Awakening "would be the last Fire Emblem game".

So yes, it does seem that Awakening going far and beyond it's sales target is what ensured the series future, and not it simply meeting those numbers.

Edited by The DanMan

Previous FE games exceeded that sales' target as well. Any comments regarding "well, Awakening selling this much was what made them decide to continue the franchise" are just idle speculation, not fact.

Edited by Refa

To play the Devil's Advocate, being mainstream has its downsides, such as:

-causing the series to be more formulaic and less risky mechanically (Kaga's games may have had some weird choices, but at least he tried many new things).

-insistence on keeping fanservicey features like marriage and children simply because they were popular, even if they are shoehorned in.

-more melodramatic storylines focused on a few characters rather than proper political conflict because mainstream audiences dislike political stuff.

-more features along the lines of face-rubbing (i.e. more things appealing to otaku).

-even tropier (is that a word?) characters.

-more frequent releases leading to less development time.

I could probably list more, but that is all that comes to mind as of now.

Edit: I believe eccentric means more niche with crazy ideas.

Edited by KoimanZX

...I don't think I understand the question.

Eccentric means unconventional last I checked, while mainstream just seems to refer to general popularity. I fail to see how these form a binary relationship.

Previous FE games exceeded that sales' target as well. Any comments regarding "well, Awakening selling this much was what made them decide to continue the franchise" are just idle speculation, not fact.

Idle speculation that also follows basic logic.

They were told it would be the last in the series, it smashed its sales target, and the series continued. Gee, I wonder what must have caused Nintendo to change their minds?

To play the Devil's Advocate, being mainstream has its downsides, such as:

-causing the series to be more formulaic and less risky mechanically (Kaga's games may have had some weird choices, but at least he tried many new things).

-insistence on keeping fanservicey features like marriage and children simply because they were popular, even if they are shoehorned in.

-more melodramatic storylines focused on a few characters rather than proper political conflict because mainstream audiences dislike political stuff.

-more features along the lines of face-rubbing (i.e. more things appealing to otaku).

-even tropier (is that a word?) characters.

-more frequent releases leading to less development time.

I could probably list more, but that is all that comes to mind as of now.

Edit: I believe eccentric means more niche with crazy ideas.

this is honestly where i'm coming from.

In that case, I'll say I want it to be liked and sell, but I personally don't like the more "mainstream" FE, Awakening.

Basically, my opinion is, I dislike the direction the series has gone, and it's simply an unfortunate coincidence that it went mainstream with a game I don't like whatsoever. It's not that I don't want the series to be popular because that's not the case, it's more I don't like the part of the series that happens to be popular.

Like said before, it's already mainstream... It's no longer niche.

But while I like it being mainstream, I think it's mainstream for some of the wrong reasons. Like the more blatant fanservice and shoehorning in of marriage and kids. But at least the latter got plenty of complaints even in Japan, isn't that right?

Pair-up mechanics and avatar characters are fine with me, I just want it done well. I feel Birthright Corrin is a step in the right direction here, but not the greatest job.

Edited by Anacybele

In that case, I'll say I want it to be liked and sell, but I personally don't like the more "mainstream" FE, Awakening.

Basically, my opinion is, I dislike the direction the series has gone, and it's simply an unfortunate coincidence that it went mainstream with a game I don't like whatsoever. It's not that I don't want the series to be popular because that's not the case, it's more I don't like the part of the series that happens to be popular.

Excuse me, the Rant pants are coming on... I don't like the direction the games are going but above all else I don't want young fire emblem players with fixed mindsets. To play fire emblem to a degree you kinda need a growth mindset, and Awakening encourages fixed mindset players to start playing; So what ends up happening is the fixed mindset players say they are "Fire Emblem fans" but when i suggest older games they tell me the games are too hard AND i had an Awakening player tell me they only played the games for the "shipping aspect." *cringe* I don't want more people like that it almost feels insulting that fire emblem has attracted that audience. Then TMS comes out and all these fans think they are tough because they "know" about the first game in the franchise when they're a bunch of posers, i'm afraid the same's gonna happen with FE Warriors.

I get where you're coming from, but I don't think a majority of the fanbase is like that. There are some idiot fans out there *cough*the ones who kept saying Chrom and Lucina should/would replace Marth and Ike in Smash*cough* but they probably are the most vocal and noticeable ones, and thus the rest of the fanbase who isn't like that goes more unnoticed.

I get where you're coming from, but I don't think a majority of the fanbase is like that. There are some idiot fans out there *cough*the ones who kept saying Chrom and Lucina should/would replace Marth and Ike in Smash*cough* but they probably are the most vocal and noticeable ones, and thus the rest of the fanbase who isn't like that goes more unnoticed.

you're right... It's just I live with my 2 sisters... both are those "idiot fans" so it haunts me everyday.

Excuse me, the Rant pants are coming on... I don't like the direction the games are going but above all else I don't want young fire emblem players with fixed mindsets. To play fire emblem to a degree you kinda need a growth mindset, and Awakening encourages fixed mindset players to start playing; So what ends up happening is the fixed mindset players say they are "Fire Emblem fans" but when i suggest older games they tell me the games are too hard AND i had an Awakening player tell me they only played the games for the "shipping aspect." *cringe* I don't want more people like that it almost feels insulting that fire emblem has attracted that audience. Then TMS comes out and all these fans think they are tough because they "know" about the first game in the franchise when they're a bunch of posers, i'm afraid the same's gonna happen with FE Warriors.

Good fucking lord, are you being serious right now? Do you want to know what the real cringe is here? You generalizing a huge portion of the fan base and judging them based on how they play the game.

Is the direction the series is heading in now perfect? No?

Were the older titles perfect? No.

Is the series being mainstream a guarantee that the games will be worse in quality? No.

I suggest you put on your big boy pants and write more constructive posts rather than trying to vaguely tell other people how to enjoy something.

Fire Emblem was in the shit, financially, pre-Awakening. Awakening and Fates have been incredibly successful, financially. The series is in the mainstream, considered a major Nintendo IP, and for the most part the series direction is likely to stay the course, regardless of what a few bitter grognards such as myself think of it. It's how things work.

Also let's be real here, more budget will (if not horribly mismanaged) lead to better quality.

Edited by Parrhesia