Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Rex Glacies

As a long time Zelda fan I am incredibly excited for this long delayed game (it was initially supposed to come out in 2015!), however, I'd like to hear you guy's thoughts, theories, and opinions on it.

Judging by the trailers, I assume that Gorons, Zora, Gerudo, and the Great Deku Tree are all in this game. And since we know the Korok are already in, I personally think the game takes place in between Ocarina of Time and Wind Waker.

But what are you guy's thoughts?

• Replies 598
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not a huge Zelda fan like you are and do not care for the official timeline. However, I am hyped as hell for the game. The visuals obviously look stunning, and the new open world and wildlife mechanics nice changes to the traditional Zelda formula. The newest trailer really gave me the feels for a hopefully captivating story.

Edited by twistedxgrace

The game can't take place between OoT and TWW. Because TWW's lore stated that "the hero did not appear" when Ganon(dorf) returned and obviously Link is in this. There was no hero to oppose Ganondorf in this period until TWW and its Link showed up.

I feel it's after TP in the child timeline due to this and all the TP references in the overworld, like the ruins looking much like the Castletown in the game. The Koroks in BotW are just alternate reality versions of the ones we see in TWW.

Edited by Anacybele

It is an interesting idea, but looking at the current timeline there is very little time in-between OoT and WW.

It is also very hard to pinpoint a good place in the timeline, there are so many details that connect BOTW to all points on the Timeline.

• The goddess Hylia is the main deity, and she was only talked about in Skyward Sword, so closely after SS?
  • The Great Plateau contains the ruins of OoT's Castle Town, which means sometime after Oot?
  • We see Hyrule Castle almost identical to Twilight Princess' Hyrule Castle, and the ruins around the Castle in BOTW contain the fountain, AND in the newest trailer we see TP's Castle Town. So in the Child Era?
  • The Master Sword is in the Lost/ Faron Woods or the Korkiri/ Korok Forest. The Great Deku Tree also shows up. So the GDT is first shown in OoT, so after OoT? Closest thing to GDT before OoT is the giant tree in SS, but also he appears in WW.
  • Now the Lost Woods... In A Link to the Past, the Master Sword is found in the Lost Woods, so could be left there after BOTW or found in BOTW after LttP. So, Downfall timeline? But the Koroks only appeared in WW because the Kokiri needed to change forms to adapt to the Great Sea life, so that means Adult Timeline? But the Zora disprove that theory because they became the Rito in WW.
  • The Sheikah are a huge part of BOTW's Hyrule, bigger than we have ever seen them before. We've only seen one true Sheikah, Impa. The Sheikah have only had little influence and stayed in the shadows. So, how did they become such a large influence on Hyrule in BOTW?
  • BOTW's Hyrule is covered in ruin and in advanced technology similar to that of the Lanayru Province from SS. So around then?

There is just so much evidence! And based of current knowledge and the current timeline, some evidence points to one place in the timeline, but other evidence contradicts the first and points to a completely different place.

Right now I don't have a definite place to add BOTW to the timeline at this moment, but that just means more theories to be developed until official placement. :)

Having just read through Hyrule Historia, my main prediction is that the game is the latest one in the Downfall timeline. Several times in the book it's mentioned how Ganondorf gradually lost his humanity after becoming Ganon and how Ganon grew more and more bestial each time he was resurfaced. The fact that Ganon is only referred to as Calamity Ganon and the latest trailer calls it a primal evil that has endured over the ages,which I find fits with the idea with Ganon becoming more and more a force of destruction with little sentience.

Also, the appearance of what looks like magitek (the guardians and the sheikah slate) makes me wonder if they could be the result of the last King using the triforce to make Hyrule prosper again, which is something that happens in the downfall timeline.

The apparent decay of Hyrule and the rusted Master Sword also push me toward that line since the idea of decline seemed very prevalent in that timeline.

Of course, like Lord_Grima said, there's hints of of it taking place in various moments, so I wouldn't be surprised if it's situated elsewhere in the timeline.

they will totally create another split timeline after OoT :smug:

I'm not even joking, I think that might be a possibility. They don't really care about the timeline, and imo neither should them. I just want the game to be good.

they will totally create another split timeline after OoT :smug:

I'm not even joking, I think that might be a possibility. They don't really care about the timeline, and imo neither should them. I just want the game to be good.

According to Hyrule Historia, the story of a Zelda game is always an afterthought. They always start a new game with 'how do we want this game to play' and once that's figured out, they create a story that fits with the gameplay.

Anacybele, true, the hero didn't show up in the Wind Waker's backstory, but as you mentioned hundreds of years pass between Oot and TWW, so who's to say that Ganon only reappeared once in that time period? What if he came back twice, and it was the second time that the hero didn't appear and the land was flooded?

But as Lord_Grima stated, there are hints for it to take place all across the timeline. So, who knows? What if Nobody's right, and the games take place in a completely unrelated timeline? Knowing Nintendo, that's not an unlikely possibility.

But I do like LuxSpecs's theory on it being in the decline timeline. However, as it is the 30th anniversary of Zelda, they could be referencing the original LoZ just as much as connecting it to that timeline.

It could possibly be in the Downfall Timeline, however I still find it weird that the Koroks exist.
It was stated in TWW that the Kokiri turned into the Korok directly due to the flooding of Hyrule, so, assuming this is the Decline timeline, why would they exist in this timeline as Koroks rather than Kokiri?
It's not that it's impossible, there's just no current explanation.

However... we did see the Bridge of Eldin, or at least a bridge that was EXTREMELY similar, in a trailer, as well as Hyrule Castle with a similar view from there as TP. So... unless we say the Bridge of Eldin exists in any other timeline, which isn't technically impossible, just a bit unlikely, combining this with other evidence (Gorons and Zoras are TP style, etc.) it's definitely still a safe claim to predict the Child timeline. Koroks existing is still weird to me, but still not impossible, as with the Downfall timeline.

In the Child timeline, I cannot see it happening after TP but before FSA, which are hundreds of years apart fyi. While another Ganon that wasn't the original or FSA's could exist, Shiekah technology not showing up in FSA makes it pretty hard to believe. Not to mention Hyrule is in pretty damn good shape in FSA before the events of the game itself. Still not impossible, but it'd need some explaining before it made sense.

The last place left would be after FSA, which is possible considering there's no evidence of locations from TP being gone in FSA to my knowledge, and FSA's Ganon is much less "human" than the original, which could fit with Calamity Ganon. It still fits with the evidence suggesting the child timeline. Of course, there's nothing specifically suggesting this either, but there's nothing specifically saying Downfall timeline either. Plus, Ganon was sealed in the Four Sword, so... yeah.

Honestly, considering everything from all the timelines that seem to mash together, I'd currently consider Hyrule Warriors more canon than what little we know of Breath of the Wild at this point. And it's confirmed to be non-canon!

Edited by Emerson

I am thinking it is after TP because of an interview I read right after TP HD came out with Eiji Aonuma, plus wolf Link Amiibo being usable as a wolf in game. But it could be anywhere on the time line.

Edited by EricaofRenais

So what do people think of the potential story here? Obviously something happened 100 years ago, most likely Garon's assault, though the trailers only show us mechanical beings invading, which would imply the Sheikah - maybe Garon got ahold and control of the technology somehow.

Zelda has been seen in a white dress and in a blue, more outdoorsy outfit, so I assume while Link slept in the Resurrection Chamber, or whatever that name was, Zelda somehow survived thanks to the tree she sees at the end of the recent trailer, wearing the white dress when she entered and dressing up in the blue outfit when she exited.

What interests me the most so far, however, is the name "Calamity Garon". Why not just normal Garon or Ganondorf? They make him sound almost like a force of nature, rather than an evil warlock.

Edited by Thane

What interests me the most so far, however, is the name "Calamity Garon". Why not just normal Garon or Ganondorf? They make him sound almost like a force of nature, rather than an evil warlock.

Garon was a pretty shallow villain, so I can see why they'd not use him again.

In all seriousness, I think it's a convergence of all the hatred and power Ganondorf/Ganon has obtained over the many ages he's existed, hence the literal quote from the most recent trailer "Calamity Ganon... a primal evil that has endured over the ages".

It could also simply be referring to how there's always a new Demon King whenever the previous falls, and that's what Calamity Ganon is. He was simply given that name due to it's similarity to Ganondorf, who would be much more likely to be known about by the Royal Family than Demise himself.

Edited by Emerson

Garon was a pretty shallow villain, so I can see why they'd not use him again.

In all seriousness, I think it's a convergence of all the hatred and power Ganondorf/Ganon has obtained over the many ages he's existed, hence the literal quote from the most recent trailer "Calamity Ganon... a primal evil that has endured over the ages".

It could also simply be referring to how there's always a new Demon King whenever the previous falls, and that's what Calamity Ganon is. He was simply given that name due to it's similarity to Ganondorf, who would be much more likely to be known about by the Royal Family than Demise himself.

But hasn't Ganondorf always remained the same? I don't think he reincarnates, as he got the Triforce of Power and thus received immortality.

If Calamity Garon is somehow a branch of his hatred, rage and yada yada, then shouldn't there be a more chill Ganondorf somewhere in Breath of the Wild? I'd really like a more Wind Waker-esque portrayal of him.

I've seen people speculating that the old man you meet in the beginning who gives you advice and eventually the paraglider is Ganondorf, though I personally think he's mostly an homage to the old man who gives you the sword in the first Zelda, but who knows.

I really hope Zelda will play a bigger role in this one, as we saw in that wonderful trailer. I noticed she seems more human and closer to Link which is a great thing IMO. In older Zeldas, she was always so perfect, so distant, so gracious, even in defeat (TP for example) so I could never feel a connection to her character. Maybe I'm a bit biased because I prefer darker stories that are heavy-handed on their characters, and stories with more human characters, with interactions between each other and not always logical in their decisions. SS made a good effort for that at the beginning, but she quicly got her bad habits, Link running after her and being so godful and all. I'm a bit scared because Link has the Master Sword each time we see her, so it might mean that it will happen late-game as usual.

Did we got any word about dual audio ? I found the voices more convincing in Japanese (this is a first).

Edited by Brand_Of_The_Exalt

But hasn't Ganondorf always remained the same? I don't think he reincarnates, as he got the Triforce of Power and thus received immortality.

If Calamity Garon is somehow a branch of his hatred, rage and yada yada, then shouldn't there be a more chill Ganondorf somewhere in Breath of the Wild? I'd really like a more Wind Waker-esque portrayal of him.

I've seen people speculating that the old man you meet in the beginning who gives you advice and eventually the paraglider is Ganondorf, though I personally think he's mostly an homage to the old man who gives you the sword in the first Zelda, but who knows.

Ganondorf is not immortal. He has died 4 times overall, in Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, Link to the Past, and Zelda 1. So once in the Child and Adult timelines, and twice in the Downfall timeline, where he was revived sometime between ALBW and Zelda 1.

This plot point has only been touched upon in the Hyrule Historia and Skyward Sword, so it's honestly still a little vague. We don't know exactly how it works. But to our current understanding, Ganondorf himself does not get reincarnated, but Demise's curse on Hyrule is that his hatred gets reincarnated. So far, we've had Demise himself, original Ganondorf, and the second Ganondorf from Four Swords Adventures. Malladus is also possibly a reincarnation, however it clashes with the idea since he was said to be around from hundreds of years before they made New Hyrule.

Ganondorf is not immortal. He has died 4 times overall, in Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, Link to the Past, and Zelda 1. So once in the Child and Adult timelines, and twice in the Downfall timeline, where he was revived sometime between ALBW and Zelda 1.

This plot point has only been touched upon in the Hyrule Historia and Skyward Sword, so it's honestly still a little vague. We don't know exactly how it works. But to our current understanding, Ganondorf himself does not get reincarnated, but Demise's curse on Hyrule is that his hatred gets reincarnated. So far, we've had Demise himself, original Ganondorf, and the second Ganondorf from Four Swords Adventures. Malladus is also possibly a reincarnation, however it clashes with the idea since he was said to be around from hundreds of years before they made New Hyrule.

I must admit I know very little of the timelines; I just thought it was always the same Ganondorf. How do we know he's been killed for real and whether or not it's a new Ganondorf?

I also don't like the idea of battling anything that has to do with Demise at all, since I found him a complete waste of space in Skyward Sword, so I'm going to hope you're wrong here, no offense.

On another note, the invasion of Hyrule seemed to be carried out through those Guardians and some kind of massive robot with burning "feet"; think Garon is behind that or that there's another villain at work here as well? They might be in cahoots, but I just wonder how Garon would control all that Sheikah technology.

I must admit I know very little of the timelines; I just thought it was always the same Ganondorf. How do we know he's been killed for real and whether or not it's a new Ganondorf?

I also don't like the idea of battling anything that has to do with Demise at all, since I found him a complete waste of space in Skyward Sword, so I'm going to hope you're wrong here, no offense.

On another note, the invasion of Hyrule seemed to be carried out through those Guardians and some kind of massive robot with burning "feet"; think Garon is behind that or that there's another villain at work here as well? They might be in cahoots, but I just wonder how Garon would control all that Sheikah technology.

My friend, the Hyrule Historia dictates all. And I own one. It's different Ganondorfs. It's also stated ingame.

I do suggest you take a quick look at the timeline so Ganondorf being killed makes some sense.

Literally Demise's only point was to "explain" why Ganondorf exists. It's in the dang dialogue at the end too, so it's canon. Sorry to break it to you.

Honestly, there's really nothing I can say about it. Not much has been explained, so there's really no basis to work off of yet. The Guardians (the big robots) could just have gone haywire or something, or they could really of been some tampering by the forces of evil. I mean, even ingame it seems like they're going to be hiding what happened until you meet who might be the Great Deku Tree.

Edited by Emerson

My friend, the Hyrule Historia dictates all. And I own one. It's different Ganondorfs. It's also stated ingame.

I do suggest you take a quick look at the timeline so Ganondorf being killed makes some sense.

Ah, pardon me, I didn't mean to sound rude. I asked because I didn't know, not because I didn't believe you. Strange, I guess you learn something new every day.

Literally Demise's only point was to "explain" why Ganondorf exists. It's in the dang dialogue at the end too, so it's canon. Sorry to break it to you.

Oh, I know that. It doesn't change the fact that I think it was a waste of a wonderful opportunity to show Ganondorf and Link meeting for the first time. What did Demise really add to the story?

Honestly, there's really nothing I can say about it. Not much has been explained, so there's really no basis to work off of yet. The Guardians (the big robots) could just have gone haywire or something, or they could really of been some tampering by the forces of evil. I mean, even ingame it seems like they're going to be hiding what happened until you meet who might be the Great Deku Tree.

Indeed, which is why I think it's fun to speculate. I mean, why are there so many "Guardians"? What did they guard? Why was a robotic infernal juggernaut necessary?

The Sheikah also seem to be all but gone in Breath of the Wild too, no? At least, that's the impression I've gotten so far. Reminds me of the Dwemer in The Elder Scrolls.

Ganondorf first existed in Ocarina of Time since that game is basically his origin story, so he and Link already met for the first time.

There's no real room for Ganondorf himself before that point, so I suppose they just wanted a final boss other than Ghirahim.

Ganondorf first existed in Ocarina of Time since that game is basically his origin story, so he and Link already met for the first time.

There's no real room for Ganondorf himself before that point, so I suppose they just wanted a final boss other than Ghirahim.

Yes but...why Ganondorf's evil daddy?

I suppose my opinion on the matter holds very little significance to the discussion at hand, so I suggest we drop it.

Oh, I know that. It doesn't change the fact that I think it was a waste of a wonderful opportunity to show Ganondorf and Link meeting for the first time. What did Demise really add to the story?

Indeed, which is why I think it's fun to speculate. I mean, why are there so many "Guardians"? What did they guard? Why was a robotic infernal juggernaut necessary?

The Sheikah also seem to be all but gone in Breath of the Wild too, no? At least, that's the impression I've gotten so far. Reminds me of the Dwemer in The Elder Scrolls.

Original Ganondorf meets one of the many Links for the first time in Ocarina technically, unless the belief that they retain memories between reincarnations is true. In that case Demise meeting Link WAS Ganondorf meeting Link.

Demise was the original evil dude who layed a curse on Hyrule in which his hatred would be reincarnated. It's the catalyst for the rest of the series' events, being first in the timeline. I doesn't mean we have to like it, but that's how it is.

I'm not much of a speculative person I guess. I normally stick with hard facts and context clues, and I don't really take guesses at the stories of games seriously unless there's some legit backing behind it.

It was actually stated at some point that the Sheikah are indeed all gone besides the Monks that reside in the trials.

Edited by Emerson

Demise was the original evil dude who layed a curse on Hyrule in which his hatred would be reincarnated. It's the catalyst for the rest of the series' events, being first in the timeline. I doesn't mean we have to like it, but that's how it is.

Indeed. When I said I hoped you were wrong, I didn't mean that you were wrong about Demise, I meant I was hoping you'd be wrong about him being relevant.

I'm not much of a speculative person I guess. I normally stick with hard facts and context clues, and I don't really take guesses at the stories of games seriously unless there's some legit backing behind it.

Man, way to kill my speculative mood!

It was actually stated at some point that the Sheikah are indeed all gone besides the Monks that reside in the trials.

Yeah I thought so. I wonder if Aonuma was inspired by the Dwemer of Elder Scrolls, a technology-oriented race that just disappeared one day with one single known exception.

Man, way to kill my speculative mood!

My bad. It's just how I operate unfortunately.

I'll probably be speculating, or hypothesizing I guess, once we get more info, but with a month and a half before launch, I don't know what else we could even get story wise.

Granted, with how the trailers have been, we should probably get something.

Edited by Emerson