Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Rex Glacies

Just beaten the game last night. The game is truly amazing but it's difficult where to rank it with the other Zelda games because of how different it is.

As for the divine beasts, I like the creativity they have and how much influence they have on the games over world and story. I will say they are too short and don't stand out compared to the traditional dungeons but I'd rather have a dungeon that's short and fun than one that's long and boring (like City in the Sky).

The voice acting is decent, they do the job and they fit the characters but they are not fantastic. Zelda's voice does fit her but there is not enough diversity in her vocals. When she gets excited or frustrated her tone feels the same, which is something that a main character truly needs. The best voice performance I would say is Sean Chiplock (Revali and the Deku Trees Voice), This guy is very good and has so much potential for future roles.

• Replies 598
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I found the white horse (yet I still didn't get the quest added to my sidequest list...), but I couldn't tame it. I upgraded my stamina twice too. I guess I need even more, but I wanted to use the rest of the spirit orbs on hearts...

I've finished all the divine beasts though, so I can go to Hyrule Castle to finish the game if I want. But I want more hearts and some anti-guardian equipment first. I hope I've collected enough ancient parts to get the stuff from Robbie.

Edited by Anacybele

19 minutes ago, TheKingOfTheDragovians said:

If you want, and have a lot of rupees, you can go to a statue in Hateno VIllage that will exchange your heart containers for stamina containers and vice versa. So could swap your hearts real quick and change them back later.

What statue there? I've searched all over Hateno and couldn't find a goddess statue there.

I... guess I've just beaten the game now. Nintendo wasn't kidding when they said that you could just head straight for the final boss. Not sure how to feel about this. I just wanted to collect the memory in the castle but so close to the boss I just couldn't turn back without at least trying to fight. As someone who still gets the crap kicked out of him by Yiga Officers and various black kritters, I did absolutely not expect to actually win.

Edited by BrightBow

Just now, BrightBow said:

I... guess I've just beaten the game now. Nintendo wasn't kidding when they said that you could just head straight for the final boss. Not sure how to feel about this. I just wanted to collect the memory in the castle but so close to the boss I just couldn't turn back without at least trying to fight. As someone who still gets the crap kicked out by Yiga Officers and various black gritters, I did absolutely not expect to actually win.

To be fair, they designed it so that if you went really early without getting the divine beast restored, you will have to fight 4 of the divine beast bosses before you actually fight the ganon as the main punishment.  So basically the main journey is to help make the final boss easier.  For most players I don't think they will be able to do it well on their first try if you attempt to beat it on your first playthrough.

Not to mention if you don't do all the memory locations you don't get the extra ending scene.

19 minutes ago, kingddd said:

Reveal hidden contents

To be fair, they designed it so that if you went really early without getting the divine beast restored, you will have to fight 4 of the divine beast bosses before you actually fight the ganon as the main punishment.  So basically the main journey is to help make the final boss easier.  For most players I don't think they will be able to do it well on their first try if you attempt to beat it on your first playthrough.

Not to mention if you don't do all the memory locations you don't get the extra ending scene.

Spoiler

True, but with the Master Sword they went all down really easily. I think that weapon can't even break during the final fight. *Sigh* Did they really have to move Hestu all the way to the Lost Woods? Finding Hestu was always a high priority objective since of course I wanted to cash in my Korok Seeds. I wouldn't have found the sword so early if it wasn't for that.

Edited by BrightBow

2 hours ago, Anacybele said:

Oh yeah, so did anyone get the alternate ending Aonuma mentioned? I'd love to know how to get it myself the next time I beat the game.

Either get all of Link's memories, or don't. And I think the only alteration is that the ending is extended.

10 minutes ago, Dai said:

Either get all of Link's memories, or don't. And I think the only alteration is that the ending is extended.

...That's not really a different ending. That's just extending it like you said. Wow, way to mislead people, Aonuma.

On a separate tangent, if you haven't found that goddess statue that was mentioned previously, it's a horned one. A boy in glasses at the entrance to the village will lead you to it.

Entire story spoiler so don't read it until you've beaten the game.  This is what I can assume from all the events and memories that transpired in the game.  I wanted to make my own summary and discuss it since I've beaten the game a couple of days ago.

So rewatching all the memories and in canon order as you unlocked them here is what I can assume and make out of the events that transpired 100 years ago.

Legends say that every hundreds or so years or more, Ganon will always return to cause destruction upon the world.  The prophecy states that in order to save the kingdom and its land they will need the power of sealing and the knight who wields the blade that seals the darkness in order to prevent that event from happening. That is the supposedly written records that has been passed on from generation to another.

So what happened?  Why did the events that were supposed to happen failed 100 years ago?

From what we can see in the order of events everything was going well except for one thing Zelda herself.

From what we can see in the beginning, during when Zelda was appointing Link, she had no confidence in his ability and didn't even like him at all at first.  Even the champions of the four are seeing something isn't right at all as assumed by Daruk.

During their journey to get the divine beasts under the champions control, we can see Zelda was questioning Link's abilities and herself too pretty frequently.  She questioned him if he can hear any voices from the sword itself and she was questioning this a lot during the journey.   As she explains to Link that her previous ancestors can hear voices and from the sword when they pray but she couldn't why is that?  

Later we learned that Zelda was not really to fond of Link and not really liking him at all at first.  She got annoyed that he had to keep following her everytime even though it was his duty as a knight and was under the king's orders after all.  Zelda however definitely wanted to be more independent and would rather study than being the usual praying to goddess that previous generations were so dedicated to.   However during their perilous journey, they encountered a signifcant amount of monsters and a swarm of hordes from enemies and she soon started building the relationship with Link.  She tells him to stop being so reckless during the death mountain descent and sharing her knowledge with him during a picnic break as it 

During another break, we learned that Zelda was not fond of the idea of being born in royal family and the idea of that since you are born into it therefore, you are destined to do the exact same thing as her ancestors did.  However she loved to study, research and the technologies that they have developed and the guardians and loved every moment of it.  Her relationship with the King wasn't as well received and nor were the people of Hyrule as rumors kept spreading that she is the only princess we had that never had the power of goddess.  She couldn't understand why and kept studying to try and figure out.  As she went to the statue of praying with power and courage, she still couldn't muster the ability to gain the power despite how much she kept praying to the goddess.

From what she learned there seems to be a couple of conditions to gain the power of seal, first is to pray to the goddess and no one is under allowed of the age of 17 to gain the power.  So she assumed that's those are the only conditions you need in order to gain it however these are only written records and there is one more condition that wasn't written.  The actual conditions to gain the power is the motivation and dedication to protect the ones you love.  

During the aftermath of the prayer, the champions were in distraught and Zelda is heartbroken because all of her efforts were for nothing.  However Mipha wanted to give Zelda advice before she was briefly interrupted by calamity.  From what we can see she was probably gonna say, the best way to use your abilities is to think about the people you want to protect and love and I don't think Zelda originally had been thinking about that at the time.

Because of Zelda's lack of power to seal away Ganon, he still kept wrecking havoc and killing almost everyone in the process.  So when Link and Zelda was running away in the forest, She was blaming herself so much and admitting herself a failure to the point of tears.  During their last confrontation with the ganon controlled guardians, Link was pretty much near death protecting her.  Just when a guardian was almost about to them the final blow to them, Zelda knowing that she didn't want another close friend from dying again she finally went in front of him to protected Link and the goddess blessed her with the power of sealing and awakened her ability because of it.  This allowed her to stop the guardians from unleashing the final blow to both Link and Zelda.  With the shiekahs help, she was able to seal the master sword away back into korok forest and put him into slumber for 100 years to restore his body.  With the plan in place, she went to confront Ganon herself and stopped him from moving outside the castle kept him there for 100 years.

This is what I can assume from the dialogue and messages.  It's not perfect but I think that's the idea behind it from the implications of the memories.

Edited by kingddd

So, while I've been super bored and not able to play BotW (the copy I've been playing on belongs to my brother in-law), I've been going over the map, and there are a lot more references to previous characters than I had originally given it credit for. A good chunk of them are obvious, but I went ahead and cataloged all of the locations I could find that reference characters in previous games, as well as what game they came from.

• A Link to the Past
    • Sahasra Slope
  • Link's Awakening
    • Martha's Landing
    • Ulria Grotto
  • Ocarina of Time
    • Bonooru's Stand
    • Darunia Lake
    • Inogo Bridge
    • Ja'Abu Ridge
    • Kaepora Pass
    • Mido Swamp
    • Mount Nabooru
    • Pierre Plateau
    • Rauru Hillside
    • Ruto Lake
    • Lake Saria
  • Makora's Mask
    • Breman Peak
    • Gero Pond
    • Lake Darman
    • Lulu Lake
    • Mikau Lale
    • Romani Plains
    • Toto Lake
  • Wind Waker
    • Ankel Island
    • Mount Daphnes
    • Davdi Island
    • Elma Knolls
    • Irch Plain
    • Knuckel Island
    • Lake Mekar
    • Kolami Bridge
    • Tingel Island
  • Minish Cap
    • Mount Gustaf
    • Keelay Plain
  • Twilight Princess
    • Ralis Pond
    • Rutala Dam
  • Phantom Hourglass
    • Linebeck Island
  • Skyward Sword
    • Batrea Lake
    • Breach of Demise
    • Eagus Bridge
    • Gorko Lake
    • Gortram Cliff
    • Horwell Bridge
    • Owlan Bridge
    • Piper Ridge
  • A Link Between Worlds
    • Oren Bridge
    • Seres Scablands

There's also Gleeok Pond, which references a recurring boss, and a few areas that directly reference other game areas like Tal Tal Heights, but these are all of the character specific references I could find. 

Edited by Kon

You forgot Saria Lake and Mido Swamp for OoT. And David Jr. for the Tingle group islands. There are also a couple places named after Mt. Crenel from TMC that you failed to mention, as well as Minish Woods. I think Daltus, the king in TMC had something named after him too.

Skyward Sword also has Lake Floria in this game.

Edited by Anacybele

I didn't see Saria Lake or Mido Swamp on the map at all, and Daltus doesn't seem to have anything associated with him. I did just realize I forgot to list David Jr. tho lol

Edited by Kon

4 minutes ago, Kon said:

I didn't see Saria Lake or Mido Swamp on the map at all. I did just realize I forgot to list David Jr. tho lol

They're in the Great Hyrule Forest. Check them out. Minish Woods is just south of there as well.

Also, I mentioned the two places named after Mt. Crenel as well as Lake Floria, if you didn't see my post edit. :P

Edited by Anacybele

I was keeping the locations to character references only, otherwise I would have mentioned them ;9

And they really weren't listed on the map I had, but I found them, as well as Rauru hillside, which I missed before.

Well, there are a loooot of named places in this Hyrule, it's easy to miss some. XD I forgot the Rauru one myself.

Also, you listed Bremen for MM, but that's not a character, it's a mask, so I figured I'd bring up those location references. :P

Edited by Anacybele

A lot of the islands in Lanayru Wetlands are named after PH locations, actually, Bannan Island, Mercay Island, Molida Island, and Zauz Island were all places in Phantom Hourglass.  The place might as well be called the "Phantom Hourglass Wetland" instead.

Also it's Tingel Island, not Tingle.  Just as a note, since all 4 are corrupted versions of the Tingle groups names.

(Zauz was also a character fwiw)

Edited by Glaceon Mage

I'm glad this game allows multiple methods to solving puzzles. To wit: I loathe the quest involving Magda at the Floret Sandbar. It's not overly difficult, but it is annoying and a pain in the ass. So, rather than navigate that stupid maze, I simply cleared a patch of grass behind the shrine, dropped about four piles of wood and some red chu jelly, and rode the updraft following the creation of my bonfire.

35 minutes ago, Dai said:

I'm glad this game allows multiple methods to solving puzzles. To wit: I loathe the quest involving Magda at the Floret Sandbar. It's not overly difficult, but it is annoying and a pain in the ass. So, rather than navigate that stupid maze, I simply cleared a patch of grass behind the shrine, dropped about four piles of wood and some red chu jelly, and rode the updraft following the creation of my bonfire.

I just used Revali's Gale, since it's such a puzzle cheese when it wants to be.

Same for the shine on that Island north of Linebeck Island surrounded by thorns.  Revali, you may have been an arrogant jerk but your magic is amazing.