Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Rex Glacies

I haven't had much time to play, though I was able to clock in a few hours today. Fought against my first Lynel and lol I got rocked. They have such a crazy line of vision, even running away posed a challenge.

Do these enemies have any elemental weaknesses? Like being weak against fire, for example?

• Replies 598
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Rex Glacies said:

Lynels are terrifying. You think you've gotten away, and then the shoot your straight from the sky. So far, they're right next to Guardians as most difficult enemy.

Guardians can be cheesed by ancient arrows. Lynels can't. They are the most difficult enemy to slay.

Had to start a new file for reasons, and I've been so much better at fucking up Guardians with my shield deflecting skills. Also, I managed to make the royal horse my second steed with the help of a recipe, and I made my way from the Dueling Peaks to Faron because I wanted to see how I did without all my normal gear. Not too badly so far ;9

I love this game so much, I've never been able to have this kind of freedom in all the other games I've played. I know it hasn't been out that long but I'd honestly put this game in my top 3 Zelda games, just behind Majora's Mask and Wind Waker

Ancient Arrows are expensive to get though, and you can't even really get many until you go through the hellhole that's Akkala. That tower is a pain in the ass to reach and if you don't get it, you can just get lost trying to navigate. Also, there's a Guardian parked in front of the lab where you get the arrows. >_>

1 hour ago, Hylian Air Force said:

Guardians can be cheesed by ancient arrows. Lynels can't. They are the most difficult enemy to slay.

Of course, if you have weak equipment and no access to Ancient Arrows, then the only thing you can do when confronted by a Guardian is to pick a god and pray. I've only defeated one non-shrine Guardian, and that was with a lucky shield deflection. So, to me so far, they are the most difficult enemy.

2 hours ago, Hylian Air Force said:

Actually Lynels suffer a one hit kill from ancient arrows. Problem is that they don't leave their equipment when you take them out like that. 

Just now, Etrurian emperor said:

Actually Lynels suffer a one hit kill from ancient arrows. Problem is that they don't leave their equipment when you take them out like that. 

Oh. Should've realized that if it could at least 2-shot a guardian stalker, it could 1-shot anything else. Still, that's super wasteful, even against a Silver Lynel.

WHAT. BUT HOW...

Firstly, how did that player get so many arrows when money is scarce? Second, how did that stun the Lynel for so long?

Edited by Anacybele

He basically stunlocked the Lynel by repeatedly firing arrows. And I'd wager he's used one of the multitude of methods of farming rupees, like taking down all of the Talus, selling raw gourmet meat, selling meals, etc. There's a lot of ways to earn rupees, it just takes slightly more effort than cutting grass ;9

Money may seem short at first but I believe I'm having less trouble finding Rupees than in other Zelda games. I'm pretty consistently on 5000 Rupees or higher, at times even over 10000.

Farming for all kinds of ores isn't very hard, especially when near death mountain and they all sell for a lot. Aside from that you can get so many monster parts that you're guaranteed to get a good bit of cash when its time to sell them. Quests are also quicker to reward with Rupees(and spirit points) because weapons that break pretty fast aren't a very good reward and heart pieces are absent this time around. 

I have no idea how to fight the Talus... I always avoided them.

But I see, it does make sense now. And you know, things like Heart Pieces missing are another reason this game couldn't be my top favorite. One of my other favorite things in Zelda was collecting all the cool stuff like Heart Pieces and weapons and items.

Edited by Anacybele

Talus are stupid easy once you realize that literally any weapon that's good for breaking ore deposits are super effective on them. Like the Sledgehammer, Drillshaft, and Boulder Breaker. The Igneo and Frost Talus require an extra step to neutralize their element though

Technically you still get heart pieces, since you still need four orbs for a Heart Container ;9

8 minutes ago, Kon said:

Talus are stupid easy once you realize that literally any weapon that's good for breaking ore deposits are super effective on them. Like the Sledgehammer, Drillshaft, and Boulder Breaker. The Igneo and Frost Talus require an extra step to neutralize their element though

Technically you still get heart pieces, since you still need four orbs for a Heart Container ;9

But I don't know how to get up to their weak spot which is where you would strike with the sledgehammer or whatever. I've tried climbing, but the thing moves too much. You can't hit it any other way either, as far as I can tell. Maybe bombs, but that looks tough too.

Yeah, that's true, but I still found it more thrilling to obtain the heart pieces in the variety of ways that they were obtainable. Hidden chests, mini-games, sidequests, secret nooks and crannies, etc.

Edited by Anacybele

You have to climb them unless you want to go the more tedious route of bombing them. The easiest way to climb them is to jump on them when they bodyslam the ground to get another rock, though you can also just gun for it while they're trying to get a lock on you by ducking under them when you can't get them to turn around

And even if you don't find Heart Pieces directly anymore, I can't tell you all the things I've managed to find in every little nook and cranny of what I've explored so far in this game

I'm rich because I sell (five prime) meat sticks. And I have like...fifty-three gourmet meats for the dude at Outskirt Stable. Hunting at Hebra is rather lucrative.

7 hours ago, Anacybele said:

But I don't know how to get up to their weak spot which is where you would strike with the sledgehammer or whatever. I've tried climbing, but the thing moves too much. You can't hit it any other way either, as far as I can tell. Maybe bombs, but that looks tough too.

Yeah, that's true, but I still found it more thrilling to obtain the heart pieces in the variety of ways that they were obtainable. Hidden chests, mini-games, sidequests, secret nooks and crannies, etc.

Use Statis + and climb up it's back, or you can sprint around to it's back if you have enough  stamina or if you know how to if time it right (by running around the time he strikes) you can do it without any stamina upgrades, or use bombs/bomb arrows. 

Statis + is the answer to most things combat related just get it, it's beautiful.  That being said I have defeated plenty of these things without it it's entirely possible.

9 hours ago, Locke087 said:

Use Statis + and climb up it's back, or you can sprint around to it's back if you have enough  stamina or if you know how to if time it right (by running around the time he strikes) you can do it without any stamina upgrades, or use bombs/bomb arrows. 

Statis + is the answer to most things combat related just get it, it's beautiful.  That being said I have defeated plenty of these things without it it's entirely possible.

Oh? Okay, where do I find that then?

56 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Oh? Okay, where do I find that then?

Hayato Tech Lab, Talk to Purah and do her side quest to upgrade your slate.  All the upgrades are useful so get them all, you just need a few  ancient parts.

5 minutes ago, Locke087 said:

Hayato Tech Lab, Talk to Purah and do her side quest to upgrade your slate.  All the upgrades are useful so get them all, you just need a few  ancient parts.

I did that a long time ago, it's kind of part of the story since the upgrade gives you the memories quest. :/ I didn't get any Statis+.

4 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

I did that a long time ago, it's kind of part of the story since the upgrade gives you the memories quest. :/ I didn't get any Statis+.

No there's more upgrades talk to her (or her partner mabye) again their is, Bombs +, Sensor +, and Statis +, it is a side quest she will give you.

Edited by Locke087