Speculation: Could we see an older Fire Emblem Title get a 3DS port?

Aurabolt

I am crossing my fingers until they break this gets announced at Nintendo Direct.

Not just a port but a full blown remake. My eye is on the following games:

- Binding Blade + Blazing Sword: Fates Style more or less but both games would be on the same cart. I think this has the highest chance of happening and personally, I actualy think they could fit both games on a single cart but can see one game being in-game DLC only ala Birthright/Conquest/Revelations. I'd title it Fire Emblem Bonds (Parent and Child, Friends, Comrades, etc.).

As for guest characters, I could see some of the Child Characters from Awakening being used in Blazing Sword. Maybe four: Morgan (Female), Kjelle, Brady and Laurent could all work for the whole game. Lyn meets Morgan during her campaign. Morgan's trying to find her three friends, who she was separated from shortly after they arrived in Elibe. You get Laurent towards the end of Lyn's Campaign. You encounter Brady and Kjelle during Eliwood and Hector's Campaigns and later reunite with Morgan and Laurent. In Binding Blade it's four more: Morgan (Male), Noire, Gerome and Cynthia. You encounter Morgan early on, who is tracking a lead three of his friends.

- Geneology of the Holy War + Thracia 776: Packaged as a single game, you get all three Campaigns in one. They were never released outside Japan but those who played Awakening are familiar with some of the characters. I'd title it Fire Emblem Chronicles (Three separate sagas in the same universe). They would also naturally release it in the U.S.

As for Guest Characters, I could see most of the Child Characters from Fates being used in all three campaigns: Sigurd meets Siegbert (Cavalier, wields Siegfried) and Shiro (Myrmidon, wields Raijinto) early on, who were separated from their comrades shortly after they arrived in Thracia. You will later recruit Kiragi (Archer, wields Fujin Yumi), Forrest (Mage, wields Brynhildr), Asugi, Hisame, Percy and Nina in Sigurd's Campaign at the end of the campaign they meet the Kannas and send them on an important mission.

In Leaf's Campaign you will encounter both Kannas, each wielding the Yato. They are looking for their fellow shape-shifting friends Velouria and Selkie as well as Shigure and Midori. At the end of the campaign the friends meet up with Shiro, Siegbert and the others.

In Celice's Campaign Shiro and Siegbert learn more of their friends have been sighted in Thracia. Since there's so many of them the Fates kids decide to set up a garrison somewhere in preparation for their departure. Now that they have Sigure and the Kannas together, they can begin preparations to return to their own world. The Royals still want to be able to help the son of the man they befriended so you're given the choice of having the Nohr Kids + Female Kanna or the Hoshido Kids + Male Kanna join your forces. You will encounter the kids of the opposing nationality depending on your choice who will join your forces. If you change your mind, you can switch later. Whoever you would have missed you will have a second chance to recruit loward the end of Celice's campaign.

- Fire Emblem + Mystery of the Emblem: Packaged as a single game like it was when it was originally released in Japan on the SNES (only in 3D now of course). I think IS and Nintendo would be willing to release this in the U.S. due to Marth's popularity alone (thanks to Super Smash Bros., Awakening and the DS Remake). It would be an obvious cash cow. I'd title it Fire Emblem Origins (Where it all began).

As for Guest Characters they could use Ike, Lucina, Micaiah Ephraim and Eirika plus a few others from Tellius and Magvel. After the events of Awakening, Lucina used the Outrealm Gate to visit Tellius and Magvel where she met Ike, Micaiah and the Renais Twins. While she was learning more about their histories, she learned of another Outrealm Gate that led to Altea. Recruiting some of her new friends, she decides to visit the world she'd only read about in stories. Seth, Innes, L'Archel, Lute, Ewan and Marisa join the Renais Twins. Soren, Mist, Titania, Sothe, Edward, Sanaki and The Black Knight join Ike and Micaiah.

All three games would probably come with some of the mechanics introduced since their time including Skills, Branching Promotions, Support Convos and possibly Pairing Up. DLC and Paralogues should also be expected. I don't think the games would need a map screen but there would probably be a base for planning between battles. If there is a MU they'd be a minor character.

Would be pretty nice if they throw in bonuses for having Awakening or Fates Clear Data such as getting a copy of the Falchion or the Yato. Amiibo support wouldn't be too much of a stretch either. LOL. I thought about throwing in cameos from other games but I'll edit in how that could look per game later.

Edited by Aurabolt

I think any remakes would be on the Switch since it's the new thing and has portability. I also feel Tellius has the highest chance of a re-release (not necessarily remake, mind you) due to being the least accessible internationally and a popular desire thanks to Ike in Smash and stuff. This is what I'm crossing my fingers for, personally.

I guess the title could be Fire Emblem: Radiance if there's a remake. Or preferably for me, Fire Emblem: The Radiant Hero. :awesome:

Edited by Anacybele

I honestly would not be surprised to see the 3DS get a Fire Emblem remake. The 3DS has enough time for one more game, and a remake takes less time to make.

Edit: And please, no guest characters. Last thing we need is shoehorned characters for the sake of fanservice.

Edited by Sentinel07

To be honest, I say no - the chances of that happening are slim to none, as I see it (and I'm leaning toward none).

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

I think it would be really cool to see personally. I wouldn't mind it at all, but I'm unsure if that is what they will do. With the recent trend of old games getting remade or reboots, I wouldn't be all that surprised either though.

Gaiden sorely needs a remake. It can retain it's third tier class system and world map while giving the game some modifications that will make the game much more balanced than the original (like the crappy maps present in the original game).

Any ports would be welcome in my eyes, but I think that the games that didn't get released in the states would be best. Give them a chance outside of Japan and all that. But I'm with Sentinel, no guest characters please!

Edited by MissShake

I tried Gaiden on an emulator a little while back and couldn't get into it because of the speed everything was happening at and how the menus and everything seemed all over the place.

Gaiden or the Jugdral or Elibe titles packaged together would be my personal preference, on the 3DS or the Switch. I really don't care, I just want better access to the roots of the franchise and would like to be able to play a more up-to-date version of them.

I finished Eliwood's Normal mode on 7 and kinda stopped after that. I've played a little bit of Binding Blade and Sacred Stones but nothing super substantial for each. I'll probably finish Sacred Stones sooner or later since I can tolerate GBA emulation but I think Roy's international popularity would at least get Elibe titles done. I'm a little on the fence about whether to continue trying to play Binding Blade because my playthrough fucked some things up and it'd probably be better for me to restart.

I'm rambling now aren't I?

Preference for me says that 2 and 4+5 could be given remakes whilst 6+7 as one game would be easier on some and 9+10 needing a rerelease is a must.

...PoR + RD being ported to the Switch makes more sense to me personally (HD remake). I more or less forced the idea but Guest Characters would only be done if it won't take away from the other characters (Awakening Trio in Fates) or it can be easily explained (Tiki in Awakening).

...Geneology + Thracia should so get a 3DS release though. They wouldn't have to commit as many resources compared to the Switch. Same with Blazing Sword + Binding Blade. Now's a damned good time to bring Mystery of the Emblem to the West as well.

You say that despite the Spotpass rosters from all the past FEs in Awakening. I doubt that was just done for Fan Service. Sure, IS bet the franchise on Awakening's success and we were rewarded with Fates. Would be within reason to think they'd take a shot at porting one of the older games. Shadow Dragon did poorly in the West but we still got Awakening. There is some home in our market at least.

It would be within reason to think IS might consider porting FE 2-6 to the West. Releasing them on the 3DS makes the most sense as you know folks will buy 'em.

I wish. But IS doesn't care about ports and remakes unless it's FE1 or 3. And I'm starting to think that they don't care about FE2 or FE4-10 in general anymore....

Are you kidding? They had more bias for Ike than just about any other non-Awakening character not named Marth in Awakening. Ike got a descendant, DLC, and a bunch of references from several characters. And Old Hubba said Ike is his favorite hero!

I think IS has favoritism for this guy at least. :P

Edited by Anacybele

I just thought of this, but since it seems that IS is sort of assuming that an avatar is what's selling the series right now, is it possible that New Mystery could come stateside? I know how Kris is so well loved in SF, but you know, food for thought.

I would love to see Geneology and Thracia get released outside Japan. Throw in an avatar who isn't praised like the messiah and I'll be even happier.

Edited by InfinityAlex

Remakes? Gaiden and Genealogy are the only things I consider likely. I don't think any ports would happen. The GBA games aren't old enough for remakes.

The Tellius games sold like garbage, its fans just overestimate its importance like always.

Gaiden would probably play like Fates with some new flavors, while Genealogy would probably be a big overhaul. I don't think Genealogy would happen, honestly. Gaiden is outdated with an easy template for remake. If any game received a remake right now, Gaiden would be it.

I expect avatars and stuff, but it's not that bad. Gaiden's plot isn't even something that can be ruined. Even mundane "everyone supports everyone" conversations are more than what they received in the original.

Edited by Freyjadour

I think any remakes would be on the Switch since it's the new thing and has portability. I also feel Tellius has the highest chance of a re-release (not necessarily remake, mind you) due to being the least accessible internationally and a popular desire thanks to Ike in Smash and stuff. This is what I'm crossing my fingers for, personally.

I guess the title could be Fire Emblem: Radiance if there's a remake. Or preferably for me, Fire Emblem: The Radiant Hero. :awesome:

Remake, not rerelease. Rerelease is what you are thinking, where they do an hd update of the game and rerelease it out. Like the hd collection of Splinter Cell, or the HD version of Final Fantasy X.

Remake is what OP is talking about, like how Final Fantasyy VII is getting a remake. It's where the entire game is rebuilt from the ground up. New graphics, new gameplay, new everything essentially.

In terms of Remakes, the ones he named are much more likely, and could very well be on the 3DS. Tellius, for example, wouldn't be remade. It's gameplay was good, it's graphics still hold up, and the game overall has held up to time so far. Gaiden, Thracia, Geneology, etc not so much. A remake is much more likely for them.

I think it could happen. I would rather one of the ones without Marth get remade, as I'm tired of his pansy little blue haired ass showing up so much. (I hate Marth, his design is absolutely terrible. Stop wearing a tiara dude.)

Edited by Tolvir

Remake, not rerelease. Rerelease is what you are thinking, where they do an hd update of the game and rerelease it out. Like the hd collection of Splinter Cell, or the HD version of Final Fantasy X.

Remake is what OP is talking about, like how Final Fantasyy VII is getting a remake. It's where the entire game is rebuilt from the ground up. New graphics, new gameplay, new everything essentially.

In terms of Remakes, the ones he named are much more likely, and could very well be on the 3DS. Tellius, for example, wouldn't be remade. It's gameplay was good, it's graphics still hold up, and the game overall has held up to time so far. Gaiden, Thracia, Geneology, etc not so much. A remake is much more likely for them.

Um, I know? I just figured I'd still throw Tellius out there.

Also, people seem to generally agree that PoR's graphics at least are pretty underwhelming. The battles look fine, but the overworld map is...lacking. Sometimes the models look like they came straight from an N64 game, which is where the theory that PoR is actually the canceled N64 FE came from.

So, while I don't think these titles are likely based on what has been pushed lately (specifically, the last album listing giving more tracks to Gaiden and Telius (Which I'd be expecting a port to Switch VC if anything)), I can see bundled remakes coming at some point. But probably not yet, if they're even going to bother.

Also, please no guest characters. Do not need. I know it's a gut reaction from me, but please no.

I'm assuming "no guest characters" means no Amiibo support from Fates? Because honestly, I loved that stuff and would love to see it return. It was completely optional fanservice, and I think that the Amiibo characters having their own unique models, cut-ins and crit quotes was great. Awakening's Einherjar left me feeling pretty disappointed.

If you mean introducing characters from other games as main story characters, then yeah, totally agree. While I didn't mind Odin, Selena and Laslow in Fates and I think it was rather nice to see them get further character development, I would've preferred completely new characters and I have nothing but hate for the rehashes of Awakening characters such as Asugi, Rhajat (seriously, how do you even pronounce that one?) and Riceload, as well as Not Ricken.

14 minutes ago, InfinityAlex said:

I'm assuming "no guest characters" means no Amiibo support from Fates? Because honestly, I loved that stuff and would love to see it return. It was completely optional fanservice, and I think that the Amiibo characters having their own unique models, cut-ins and crit quotes was great. Awakening's Einherjar left me feeling pretty disappointed.

If you mean introducing characters from other games as main story characters, then yeah, totally agree. While I didn't mind Odin, Selena and Laslow in Fates and I think it was rather nice to see them get further character development, I would've preferred completely new characters and I have nothing but hate for the rehashes of Awakening characters such as Asugi, Rhajat (seriously, how do you even pronounce that one?) and Riceload, as well as Not Ricken.

The latter.

Haven't got a New 3DS or amiibos to see the execution of that, but even playing birthright with no kids Diviner Ricken was a bit much, in the sense that he just fees unnecessary, and seeing a little bit of Rajhat and Caledori made me less interested in the kid characters (Also not the biggest fan of the Wandering trio, but I'll find out them for myself eventually). Shoehorning units like that seems cheap and a way to bulk up a roster.

1 hour ago, Dayni said:

The latter.

Haven't got a New 3DS or amiibos to see the execution of that, but even playing birthright with no kids Diviner Ricken was a bit much, in the sense that he just fees unnecessary, and seeing a little bit of Rajhat and Caledori made me less interested in the kid characters (Also not the biggest fan of the Wandering trio, but I'll find out them for myself eventually). Shoehorning units like that seems cheap and a way to bulk up a roster.

The Wandering Trio are actually rather enjoyable once you get the context behind it, imo, and the Amiibo execution is great. It's not shoved in your face, and once they're in your army, you just use them in battle. Nothing else. Omitting the Amiibo does not devalue the experience, but using them does enhance it. Also nice if you're not interested in getting their DLC classes.

I agree, I don't want previous characters or clone characters shoehorned in like in Fates. And this is coming from someone that really liked Cordelia, Inigo, Severa, and Gaius. If I want to see these characters again, I'd rather there be an Awakening sequel or I'll just go play Awakening again.

I wouldn't even want Ike thrown into a game this way. Either give him to me in a new Tellius game or let me add him with his Amiibo (which Fates did the latter, thankfully).

Edited by Anacybele