Forum Upgrade Details

Jyosua

Thx for the Indent fix, and others /index.php?/profile/1-jyosua/" rel="">@Jyosua (Btw, this ping system is much appreciated).

One other thing I noticed; old forums removed Notifications when you viewed a thread or w/e that the notification was spawned from. I opened this thread to read the updates, and my only notification at the time was you quoting me above. After opening the thread, that notification is still showing the little red alert.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, when the sigs come back, will they be back to whatever we had in our sigs before this update (My sig had a tumblr link among other stuff, for example)?

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

Wait, so the Raw BBCode mode is gone, for good?

I'm just going to cry in a corner now, I absolutely hate viewing images and vids within the postbox (especially with how youtube links automatically change from text to an embed while I type, since I'm massively in favor of linking them to text instead).

Also my sig heavily used the raw BBC for precision purposes with the link and text colors...

Edited by Glaceon Mage

When you say that HTML source editing is a security risk, do you mean that it allows ANY AND ALL HTML, including custom CSS and JavaScript, or that it is just an HTML version of the old BBCode where it filters unaccepted code out automatically?

Because if it's the latter, is there a risk?

Edited by Makaze

Our spoiler tags were actually always a custom edit to IPB's BBCode parser. Since they have rewritten this function and editor entirely, they have removed the ability to add custom BBCode types. I'm not particularly happy about that either, but the big reason for this forum upgrade is security. Eventually IPB3 will not be supported at all anymore. For a site as big as ours, that's unacceptable for security. Unfortunately, IPS4 is still one of the best forum softwares around and is also the best way of preserving our previous data.

All I can say about the loses and changes are: I'm sorry. I'm definitely dedicated to fixing as many problems are within my power, such as bad data migration, but feature functionality is not something I can change easily.

2 minutes ago, Makaze said:

When you say that HTML source editing is a security risk, do you mean that it allows ANY AND ALL HTML, including custom CSS and JavaScript, or that it is just an HTML version of the old BBCode where it filters unaccepted code out automatically?

Because if it's the latter, is there a risk?

I haven't fully tested, but it definitely seems to accept CSS. I am not sure about javascript. If there is ever an injection bug in the HTML parser, you could potentially get javascript to execute regardless, so there is still a risk in any situation.

4 minutes ago, Jyosua said:

I haven't fully tested, but it definitely seems to accept CSS. I am not sure about javascript. If there is ever an injection bug in the HTML parser, you could potentially get javascript to execute regardless, so there is still a risk in any situation.

Good enough answer.

Still, this is a huge inconvenience...

Thanks for the upgrade, any inprovement is appreciated /index.php?/profile/1-jyosua/" rel="">@Jyosua.

Oh now we can refer people directly, awesome! /index.php?/profile/2508-elieson/" rel="">@Elieson

So far I've had trouble browsing a thread to next/other page (s). The thread refreshes but doesn't display the page, unless it is slow and I'm impatient. Anyways, I just refresh the page and it displays accordingly without issues.

Another cool stuff is that one gets notified when new replies are added to the thread, it is really godsend when people are discussing and elaborating huge posts with multi quotes, as it allows people to fix their post or insta quote them while following the discussion fluently. Gratz on that!

Spoiler

Spoilers are now more practical, although I was used to manually build them. Anyways, I want my calista sig back ;_;

= EDIT =

Ooohh and Reason for Edit is also coool! I love the site!!

Edited by Quintessence
Fixing spoiler tags

2 minutes ago, Quintessence said:

Another cool stuff is that one gets notified when new replies are added to the thread, it is really godsend when people are discussing and elaborating huge posts with multi quotes, as it allows people to fix their post or insta quote them while following the discussion fluently. Gratz on that!

That was technically already around :)

Also want a protip? Highlight this text, wait 1 second and see what happens

3 minutes ago, Elieson said:

That was technically already around :)

Also want a protip? Highlight this text, wait 1 second and see what happens

Oh right it was on the Desktop Version, or on PC. I'm always on Mobile and right before the upgrade I used the Desktop version on my phone (lol). Anyways, I feel like a kid with a new toy!

= EDIT =

Ok I highlighted the text and nothing happened, unless I'm doing something wrong or isn't available on mobile version. Regardless of it, thanks for the protip!

Edited by Quintessence
Extra comments

26 minutes ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

So, when the sigs come back, will they be back to whatever we had in our sigs before this update (My sig had a tumblr link among other stuff, for example)?

Your sigs are still there, actually, I can see them when I go to Edit Member (although hilariously enough, I cannot see my own sig).

Spoiler

27TbSlD.png

1 minute ago, Balcerzak said:

Your sigs are still there, actually, I can see them when I go to Edit Member (although hilariously enough, I cannot see my own sig).

Hide contents

27TbSlD.png

I see. Glad to know my sig is still intact.

19 minutes ago, Makaze said:

Good enough answer.

Still, this is a huge inconvenience...

I agree and I am equally unhappy with it. As a forum power user, this is not a good solution for a forum software to pick.

Side note: There is also a bug with the last page on every thread. I think this is a database related error, so I will have to look into it later.

So I noticed I can't change some of the notification settings. Trying to do so gives me "The administrator has disabled this option from being toggled" message. Is this intentional? Since I prefer forum notifications to email ones some of the default settings are kind of inconvenient.

What I can't change:

• receiving a message (locked at getting an email but no forum notification)
  • being added to a conversation (locked at not getting any notification)
  • someone posting on my profile (locked at only getting a forum notification)
  • someone commenting on something I follow (locked at only getting email)

10 minutes ago, Sylphid said:

So I noticed I can't change some of the notification settings. Trying to do so gives me "The administrator has disabled this option from being toggled" message. Is this intentional? Since I prefer forum notifications to email ones some of the default settings are kind of inconvenient.

What I can't change:

• receiving a message (locked at getting an email but no forum notification)
  • being added to a conversation (locked at not getting any notification)
  • someone posting on my profile (locked at only getting a forum notification)
  • someone commenting on something I follow (locked at only getting email)

This is unintentional and will probably be fixed later today. I hope.

10 minutes ago, Princess Lore said:

its ugly rip

Please refrain from posting useless spam if you would like to avoid being warned for it.

Just now, kurosé said:

I was wondering when you update the skins is it possible to have a night mode theme too?

This is a great idea. I love night mode themes. I will definitely consider it. Thank you.

Dunno if anyone told that yet but when you try to go to another page, in whatever topic, the page doesn't load like at all. It just shows the title and you can see ''Loading'' in the bottom and that's it. However, you can fix it by using refresh.

7 minutes ago, Nym said:

Dunno if anyone told that yet but when you try to go to another page, in whatever topic, the page doesn't load like at all. It just shows the title and you can see ''Loading'' in the bottom and that's it. However, you can fix it by using refresh.

This is definitely a bug; it might have been caused by the post migration issue we had. I will be looking into it later, but this might require a larger effort to fix.

When you get a Ping for a forum you're in, being updated, and you click the button that OK's it, should it bring you down to the post that caused the alert in the first place? It doesn't, and I don't see it as a bug, but I'd expect it to tbh, since otherwise ignoring it results in the same thing.