Forum Upgrade Details

Jyosua

3 minutes ago, Scarlet said:

I see, that's actually pretty neat! Thanks~
...I just hope the file size isn't a problem? The Code of Conduct says not to exceed 300kb per picture in signatures, but I assume that's because the page needs to load dozens of those at a time whereas the cover photo won't be displayed unless you actually hover over that user's name or go to their profile.

We'll probably have a staff discussion on the matter, but given that the profile page is both much less frequently visited, and like you said not loaded up to 25 times, I think if there are any limits, they would likely be much more relaxed.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Jyosua

Code blocks have just broken so that they show all on one line with horizontal rule instead of preserving whitespace. Opposite of intention, I think. They worked yesterday.

Example:

a[data-action="quoteComment"], a[data-action="editComment"], a[data-action="defaultStream"], a[data-action="markSiteRead"], a[data-role="shareComment"] {
	background-color: #222;
	box-shadow: 0px 2px 0px;
	font-weight: bolder;
	padding: 5px 10px;
	border-radius: 3px;
	filter: brightness(2);
	color: #547d54 ! important;
}

a[data-action="quoteComment"]:hover, a[data-action="editComment"]:hover, a[data-action="defaultStream"]:hover, a[data-action="markSiteRead"]:hover, a[data-role="shareComment"]:hover {
	color: #ad1457 ! important;
}

.ipsBreadcrumb li {
	overflow: visible ! important;
}

Edit: Huh, it fixed itself? Nevermind.

Edited by Makaze

11 minutes ago, Makaze said:

@Jyosua

Code blocks have just broken so that they show all on one line with horizontal rule instead of preserving whitespace. Opposite of intention, I think. They worked yesterday.

Example:

a[data-action="quoteComment"], a[data-action="editComment"], a[data-action="defaultStream"], a[data-action="markSiteRead"], a[data-role="shareComment"] {
	background-color: #222;
	box-shadow: 0px 2px 0px;
	font-weight: bolder;
	padding: 5px 10px;
	border-radius: 3px;
	filter: brightness(2);
	color: #547d54 ! important;
}

a[data-action="quoteComment"]:hover, a[data-action="editComment"]:hover, a[data-action="defaultStream"]:hover, a[data-action="markSiteRead"]:hover, a[data-role="shareComment"]:hover {
	color: #ad1457 ! important;
}

.ipsBreadcrumb li {
	overflow: visible ! important;
}

Edit: Huh, it fixed itself? Nevermind.

might have been a CSS loading error from the CDN

On 19/01/2017 at 8:01 PM, Rezzy said:

Did the shade of green change or am I imagining things?

Yes, it is a bit darker, but it's barely noticeable : 

26-serenes-forest-forum-theme-design.jpg

EDIT : why the image does not appear ?

Here's the link :  http://spyrestudios.com/wp-content/uploads/26-serenes-forest-forum-theme-design.jpg

Edited by Brand_Of_The_Exalt

It doesn't appear because you're using HTTP instead of HTTPS. It will show up on the HTTP version of the forums.

Seconding the dark/night theme. It really makes forum reading a more pleasurable experience for me. A lot nicer on the eyes.

Is it possible to include a toggle for showing/hiding embedded gifs, pics, and videos? Gifs eat up my already-low data whenever I see them, making me not want to view SF on my phone whenever I don't have access to Wi-Fi. It'll also cause a lot less scrolling when people are reading pages.

Finally, and I'm not 100% if this is the site's fault or not (it has been mentioned a few pages back), but I think since the new site's been up, Chrome's been crashing a lot for me. Whenever it does, I can't reopen it immediately; it takes roughly 10 minutes or so before I can reopen it. And when it does reopen, it'll crash again immediately, repeating the process. I've downloaded and installed Firefox now, so I'll see if the problem presists there too.

Edited by Blusis
Typo

7 hours ago, Jyosua said:

It doesn't appear because you're using HTTP instead of HTTPS. It will show up on the HTTP version of the forums.

Is there any way for it to be fixed to where it appears on the HTTPS version of the forum?

So I'm typing up long posts in Word, and then pasting them into a post & reformatting them before I post to make sure it looks right. Despite that I have to re-edit the post right after I submit it because weird line break/font size/paragraph errors show up upon submission, even if the original submission appears to have no formatting errors - does that make sense?

EDIT: It seems like pasting it into Notepad first to remove Word formatting then pasting it into the textbox fixes the issue.

Edited by disjunct.ion

9 hours ago, disjunct.ion said:

So I'm typing up long posts in Word, and then pasting them into a post & reformatting them before I post to make sure it looks right. Despite that I have to re-edit the post right after I submit it because weird line break/font size/paragraph errors show up upon submission, even if the original submission appears to have no formatting errors - does that make sense?

EDIT: It seems like pasting it into Notepad first to remove Word formatting then pasting it into the textbox fixes the issue.

Never, ever use Word to write for the internet. It always breaks when you copy over because it's not proper web code in the background.

12 minutes ago, Brand_Of_The_Exalt said:

Oh, all right, that's why he appears on my old smartphone. Is there a way to make sure everybody will be able to see my pics ?

Use an imagehost that serves secure images.

7 minutes ago, Balcerzak said:

Use an imagehost that serves secure images.

6 minutes ago, Makaze said:

Imgur is a great example.

All right. That's what I usually do , but this time I got a bit lazy this time because the image already had a link. I'll remember.

Love the new ergonomics of the forum by the way.

Edited by Brand_Of_The_Exalt

And by the way, can you fix something with users accidentally making duplicate topics? I did seen a few people accidentally created a topic that duplicated it, I am not entirely too sure if it's just their browser or just the system error itself?

Double Topics.png

Edited by King Marth 64

On the "Manage Followed Content" page, there's no longer any "go to first unread post" option for topics. The date stamps showing when a followed topic was last updated are also all messed up.

Haha so this is what happened a nice little upgrade to the site okay so it wasn`t just me. We got a change in look here and boy was I in shock coming here suddenly seeing the new look.

5 hours ago, Jyosua said:

I added a new dark skin.

Sweet. A lot of the text is hard to see though. Like on posts.

tvRV8.png

Edited by Makaze

Which thing are you complaining about with that screenshot? I don't have a problem reading either, so I'm not sure what you're referring to.

2 hours ago, Jyosua said:

Which thing are you complaining about with that screenshot? I don't have a problem reading either, so I'm not sure what you're referring to.

The font on actual posts is too dark/the background isn't dark enough. The contrast is pretty low. It is technically readable, but needs more contrast IMO. Feels muted, like it's low opacity. Compare to the shade difference between background and text on light skins. I'd rather the block/post/main body background be darker rather than text lighter, though. Less to edit that way and looks better.

The screenshot points out that the post area is still white (fixed as of this post), and that the text doesn't work on all surfaces (still almost invisible in places; look at the "Notify me of replies" switch)

Edited by Makaze