Speculation: Could Echoes be the new tagline for FE remakes?

MrStardustRicon

Echo: a close parallel or repetition of an idea, feeling, style, or event.

The full name for the Gaiden remake is "Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia" which kinda sounds awkward when fully said aloud. The only other FE games to have gotten a sort of subtitle were the different versions of Fates, and that was obviously due to the different routes, but that at least shouldn't be the case here. So while it might be a bit of a reach, I believe that "Echoes" is the new line for remakes of the older games.

The obvious counter to this theory is that obviously FE11/12 weren't "Echoes: Shadow Dragon" and "Echoes: New Mystery of the Emblem", but I think it's rational to think that due to FE mostly being in a new era and much more popular, they'd put a bit more emphasis on their remakes with a "hey look at me, I'm different!" type naming scheme.

It's very simple thinking, but hey figured I'd at least get the theory out there.

I was thinking the same thing, actually. It would make sense considering what echoes actually are, after all.

This also brings up another point: if Echoes IS indeed a new subtitle for remakes, then there's a strong possibility we may see more in the future. I'm excited.

26 minutes ago, Murdok Dracul said:

This crossed my mind, too. I really hope so. Perhaps the future will bring us Shadows of Jugdral, a reimagining of FE4 and 5 in one game.

Do they have to stick with the "Shadows" title, though? "Fire Emblem Echoes: Judgral Generations" has a nice ring to it.

Is it just New Gaiden in Japan?  Like how the FE1 remake was New Dark Dragon and the Blade of Light and the FE3 remake was New Mystery of the Emblem.  

If it is, I can see Echoes just being a sort of western version of that naming convention.

37 minutes ago, Glaceon Mage said:

Is it just New Gaiden in Japan?  Like how the FE1 remake was New Dark Dragon and the Blade of Light and the FE3 remake was New Mystery of the Emblem.  

If it is, I can see Echoes just being a sort of western version of that naming convention.

ファイアーエムブレム Echoes: もうひとりの英雄王

Fire Emblem: Echoes "Another Hero King"

1 minute ago, shadowofchaos said:

ファイアーエムブレム Echoes: もうひとりの英雄王

Fire Emblem: Echoes "Another Hero King"

Thanks.  So I guess it's not a localization oddity after all!

Edited by Glaceon Mage

I was thinking the exact same thing. It's odd not to just go with "Fire Emblem: Shadows of Valentia" instead of adding the Echoes name.

I like the idea of remakes having their own name so everyone knows exactly what it means if it's called Echoes.

The original Fire Emblem's title was translated to "Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragons and Blade of Light" so them just going with Shadow Dragon made sense. The name of the remake of the sequel was  translated Fire Emblem: New Mystery of the Emblem ~Heroes of Light and Shadow~. I don't think will see that com back anytime soon. Echoes has a really nice ring to it for sequels though. I just hope they don't plug an avatar in this time around. It worked for the last two or three games but I don't think it'll fly for this one.

Im thinking this will be the spin off for the rest of the 3ds, which will be all remakes of the older games, and maybe a few original. Nintendo isnt dropping 3ds support, and are supposedly supporting it through 2018. With Fire Emblem clearly being brought to the Switch, maybe Echos will be a spin off series for the 3DS titles.

Either way, Echos looks way too polished for this to be made within a year, I think this has been in production for a while and just kept a secret.

58 minutes ago, Tolvir said:

Im thinking this will be the spin off for the rest of the 3ds, which will be all remakes of the older games, and maybe a few original. Nintendo isnt dropping 3ds support, and are supposedly supporting it through 2018. With Fire Emblem clearly being brought to the Switch, maybe Echos will be a spin off series for the 3DS titles.

Either way, Echos looks way too polished for this to be made within a year, I think this has been in production for a while and just kept a secret.

They might have been working on it as early as Revelations was launched in Japan for all we know, you're right. It looks very far into development already.

I have a feeling if they are remaking games this old, then they are obviously trying to appeal to the old FE fans which is what we all want.

Now if Nintendo were to remake Binding Blade and polish its game mechanics.....I may have a soft spot for Roy.

I doubt it. I think it would be confusing to buyers if they arbitrarily made a sub-series designation for remakes. Look at how simple all of the recent FE titles have been. Heroes, Fates, Warriors, Awakening. They are all one word, unlike Shadows of Valentia.

Edited by NekoKnight

27 minutes ago, NekoKnight said:

I doubt it. I think it would be confusing to buyers if they arbitrarily made a sub-series designation for remakes. Look at how simple all of the recent FE titles have been. Heroes, Fates, Warriors, Awakening. They are all one word, unlike Shadows of Valentia.

Yeah but why even have the Echoes name if that were the case? They could easily just call it "Fire Emblem: Shadows of Valentia" and call it a day. No one would have batted an eye at that.

Having a separate subseries would make sense, so whenever you see the "Echoes" name, you'd know it's a remake.

Edited by Sentinel07

this would make sense, "echoes" being interpreted as like "echoes from the past" ie remakes. jugdral is very likely to have remakes now, and roy's game is almost certain thanks to smash.  

i don't think 7 and beyond really need to be remade as opposed to just put on the vc because they were already localized and they still hold up as feeling modern enough. but hard to say what they have planned, since this came out of nowhere

Fire Emblem isn't a stranger to pointlessly long names, but I sure hope this means we're getting more remakes.  I want to play FE4 and 5, but the gameplay has kept me away.

I think if this is a new subseries it's perfect for polishing up the older series for the post awakening crowd who feel put off by certain aspects of older FE games. (Art direction, UI, how the game flows, etc) as well as adding some features from new FE into the older games to breath some life into it weapon triangle for Gaiden, trading for Gaiden and Genealogy, Support system for 2, 4, and 5, touch up some map designs and story aspects, possibly an avatar who doesn't impact the story significantly or at all to meet a middle ground in the avatar camp, and add more overall bells and whistles. It's most likely a pipe dream, but a guy can dream ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Echoes, in English, being part of the title seems to suggest that this is a distinct possibility.

The mobile game will create interest in the FE 2,4,5 and 6 characters, so I could that as part of the plan.

i hope so, because then fe4 and fe5 might become a reality. i also honestly wouldn't mind a fe echoes gba saga pack. these games spread out over a 3-4 yr period would be great. (so fe4, fe5, new story, fe gba remakes)

Edited by Phoenix Wright

For anyone who have their hope high for a remake, I should remind you that with the exception of 4 and 8, FE 6, 7, 9 and 10 have a smaller chance to get a remake. If you think about it, Gaiden, Genealogy and Sacred Stones pioneered some features which is now standard on the games nowadays, and are close to the fan-familiar Awakening and Fates. But what about the rest? Either they give up the chance, or they will forcefully add the children, marriage  system, world map, etc on to the remakes, therefore potentially destroying the dynamic of the game.

11 hours ago, Harvey said:

I have a feeling if they are remaking games this old, then they are obviously trying to appeal to the old FE fans which is what we all want.

Now if Nintendo were to remake Binding Blade and polish its game mechanics.....I may have a soft spot for Roy.

Well there is a huge bridge they have to gap between the old fans and the new. There is some serious problems with the community between the two "sides", and its something IS is clearly trying to address. Just look at Fates. Fates was adored by a lot of the newer fans, even if its story left a lot to be desired. Most of the older fans bitched and whined about it as much as they could. Not trying to call out anyone specific, but from a newer fans perspective, the older fans really hate the newer titles. Just look at the reaction to Phoenix mode and to a smaller extent Casual Mode. This was a huge move by IS to bring in a lot of new people to the series, but the older fans saw it as almost a slap in the face of the older titles because perma death was now optional.

Some of the newer fans also like the new support system and avatars, while a good bit of the older fans have nothing but bad things to say about it. Hell, my Mother started playing Fire Emblem recently. The thing she has the most fun doing is playing match maker with all of the characters in Fates. She also plays on Casual mode. It is those systems that have allowed that to happen, because while my mother is a pretty big gamer (she was a raider in Everquest with my father for one of the higher end guilds on their server. She knows video games.), she wasnt all that interested in previous titles.

On the other end, some of the Newer fans aren't entirely interested in the older titles, which is unfortunate. Some of it is because they are incredibly difficult to find, like Radiant Dawn, and the other issue is some were never localized. So its not entirely their fault.

Echoes is to bridge that gap between the two, hopefully, because it really needs to be.

Edited by Tolvir

Fire Emblem Judgral Saga Remastered with an official localization would give me a heart attack of pure joy. Whatever IS is doing right now they're clearly trying to stoke the FE brand name's, well, fire, to garner interest in both old and new properties. A compilation having both FE4 and FE5 with some of the rough edges smoothed out (GIVE ME SUPPORTS REEEEE) while retaining the classic gameplay like Shadows of Valencia is doing would be fantastic.

2 hours ago, Tolvir said:

*words*

Completely agree with you. As much as the most hardcore of the fan base may detest casual players and the new games, it's not entirely their fault, since there really is no way to experience the originals before FE7 (I know we have Shadow Dragon, but I'm not sure if that'd count for purists) other than emulation. And, if I'm being honest, I empathise with both parties. I, for one, cannot force myself through any of the GBA games. I was too fatigued after only Lyn's story in Blazing Sword and I couldn't invest myself in Sacred Stones. Furthermore, I just find the flow of game play too rigid compared to Awakening's "evolved" attack flow and whatnot. That said, I do not think for a second these are bad games and I can certainly appreciate why the fanbase loves them. They're very mature and self-respecting games with brilliant sound and character design and, if the gameplay was objectively bad, I don't think the series would have lasted for as long as it did before switching things up.

I can also see why older fans dislike the newer games. They've adopted a larger anime influence with the whole waifu and husbando shtick, the stories have become more simplistic and the Avatars are taking up more and more focus. However, I don't believe any of these are inherently bad, and I'm saddened that some (not all) of the hardcore fans treat them as if they are. While I know some people here are in opposition to the way the newer games are handled, I don't think anyone would say that Awakening and Fates were completely devoid of anything good or enjoyable, and I think therein lies the secret of reuniting the fanbase. IntSys needs to identify what succeeds in both the old and new and take it with them moving forward, which I think they've been doing a good job at so far. There is absolutely no reason we can't have a Fire Emblem which pleases fans old and new. I won't go into specifics or we'd be here forever, but I feel that, by dialing back the new game's more... egregious elements (the blatantly forced fanservice seen in Fates for example) and threw a bigger bone to old fans with more stuff like Apotheosis, only this time in the main game, then the rest will follow.

And I think Fire Emblem Echoes is a huge leap towards that, judging from what we've seen so far (though of course anything can change). Hidari's art takes the anime aesthetic of Awakening and Fates, but blends and colours it in a beautiful way reminiscent of the Tellius and GBA games' art styles. The lack of any sexually-oriented fanservice so far is already a positive (though if you're taking notes, IntSys, I'm all for optional Summer Scramble stuff!) and shows that IntSys does respect the legacy of these games. However, there's bold steps being taken here too. We seem to be getting an expanded story, which could be very gratifying for all involved, and there seem to be hints of new additions to the game's cast as well. Fire Emblem Echoes is obviously a classic Fire Emblem game with a modern Fire Emblem twist, and this is why I think it has so much potential beyond being just a simple remake. It has much wider meaning for the series as a whole.

Still, I've probably typed far too much for any sane human to read, so I think I'll just leave this here for now and go ruminate some more on the kind of game I think could be made to expand on what has been started with Echoes. And, if I'm coming off as a pompous asshole for making such assumptions, then I apologise. This is entirely my own speculation and I'm not for a second trying to spread a gospel here. I'm more than interested in hearing what anyone else has to say. More insight is always a good thing.