Speculation: Could Echoes be the new tagline for FE remakes?

MrStardustRicon

3 minutes ago, Harvey said:

speaking of which....I wonder if casual mode will be added for this game....

Probably, although Gaiden did have some limited revival options for your dead units. Could even use that to your advantage to transfer a unit from Alm to Celica or vice versa.

It was actually the first thing that went trough my mind when they showed the title. I really hope it is a series of remakes. I'd like to play the older FE-Games polished up and with an official localization. Considering the japanes title had a big, fat Echoes in it next to the standard kanji-stuff, I'm almost 100% sure that it is a series. I just hope the don't rush the remakes if they actually plan on doing more.
I wanted to play Gaiden for a long time but the fact that it was a NES Games kinda scared me off, but now I finally have a Chance! I'm sure many people feel the same... Glad Nintendo is doing this!

Edited by Mariode

15 hours ago, Sentinel07 said:

Yeah but why even have the Echoes name if that were the case? They could easily just call it "Fire Emblem: Shadows of Valentia" and call it a day. No one would have batted an eye at that.

Having a separate subseries would make sense, so whenever you see the "Echoes" name, you'd know it's a remake.

Keep in mind:

The Japanese title uses the English word "Echoes". The subtitle is a clarification:

"Another Hero King"

Localization logic I'd assume is "Shadow" is following the legend of a Hero King.

English words are used for "buzz" and "exotic effect" in Japanese.

Regular players wouldn't know what it actually means.

As your resident weeaboo , I am of the opinion that it is assuming too much to say it is the subtitle of remakes.

That said, you are free to speculate with your own opinions after all.

Edited by shadowofchaos

Considering the dark background info we got from Valentia in that trailer - a full three minutes of it - I find it hard to believe that "Shadows" used in the title was used for the "reflecting off a person" meaning it has. Valentia as a continent is not wholly good, and Gaiden's story is about uniting both countries. They are brightening the "Shadows of Valentia". In Japan's case, they are reliving the story of Gaiden where the very first "Another Hero-King" rose up to save the continent.

"Echoes" doesn't really do anything to provide context to the story of Gaiden. The only reason it would be there would be if the word was meant to be indicative of something overarching, something that Gaiden's specific subtitles could not express. In this case, a remake series.

18 minutes ago, shadowofchaos said:

Keep in mind:

The Japanese title uses the English word "Echoes". The subtitle is a clarification:

"Another Hero King"

Localization logic I'd assume is "Shadow" is following the legend of a Hero King.

English words are used for "buzz" and "exotic effect" in Japanese.

Regular players wouldn't know what it actually means.

As your resident weeaboo , I am of the opinion that it is assuming too much to say it is the subtitle of remakes.

That said, you are free to speculate with your own opinions after all.

However, if that were the case, why isn't it just Fire Emblem Echoes with no subtitle (much like Kakusei, If, Heroes, Cipher, etc), or something more related to Gaiden like Fire Emblem Mirror or Fire Emblem Parallel? (shitty title examples but you get the idea)

Consider the following: with the growing popularity of the series, a lot of overseas players want to play the older, Japan only games, but can't for various reasons, be it the desire to only play and buy official releases or the outdated gameplay and graphics. Intelligent Systems is trying to cultivate a bigger core fanbase and trying to give the West what it did not have for a long time.
It only makes sense to me if "Echoes" is the beginning of a sub-series of remakes especially made for newer fans shunned by older games and the Western public.
Now the West is not just a second thought to Intelligent Systems, we are important to their money making and fan trust as much as Japan. Awakening and Fates' numbers are proof, and so are the Smash fans who like the playable FE characters.

1 hour ago, CrimeanRoyalKnight said:

However, if that were the case, why isn't it just Fire Emblem Echoes with no subtitle (much like Kakusei, If, Heroes, Cipher, etc), or something more related to Gaiden like Fire Emblem Mirror or Fire Emblem Parallel? (shitty title examples but you get the idea)

Consider the following: with the growing popularity of the series, a lot of overseas players want to play the older, Japan only games, but can't for various reasons, be it the desire to only play and buy official releases or the outdated gameplay and graphics. Intelligent Systems is trying to cultivate a bigger core fanbase and trying to give the West what it did not have for a long time.
It only makes sense to me if "Echoes" is the beginning of a sub-series of remakes especially made for newer fans shunned by older games and the Western public.
Now the West is not just a second thought to Intelligent Systems, we are important to their money making and fan trust as much as Japan. Awakening and Fates' numbers are proof, and so are the Smash fans who like the playable FE characters.

Only two of the ones you mentioned have no katakana or Kanji in their names.

If and Heroes.

Technically, one. Heroes does have it in small font.

11 minutes ago, shadowofchaos said:

Only two of the ones you mentioned have no katakana or Kanji in their names.

If and Heroes.

Technically, one. Heroes does have it in small font.

But neither Awakening/Kakusei and Cipher have a subtitle, and If/Fates has the Route subtitle which is still short. While I do agree "Echoes" is english made to sound cool in Japan I think they would've went with only one word like I said, without adding a subtitle. It might be to explain the title to Japanese players who do not understand english, but if we look at the If/Fates precedent, we might get more Echoes titles with a different subtitle.

Edited by CrimeanRoyalKnight

That was my point.

Kakusei and Cipher don't have a subtitle because they are in Kanji/kana.

They don't need one to clarify the game or the word.

If and Echoes do.

When an English word is used in a title of a Japanese game, katakana is put under it or a subtitle is generally there.

You have to admit that you don't really have the Japanese perspective. And that you might be reading into it a bit.

You're convinced there could be no other reason for the subtitle. I bring the Japanese perspective that says your intepretation COULD be right OR wrong. As someone whose first language isn't English, despite being fluent, you cannot use your reasoning of a lack of subtitles in other games to completely eliminate the possibility I have presented unless you have an immense amount of Japanese experience that counters my statement.

I say don't hype up your conclusion. The FE fanbase has a tendency to convince themselves of reading into info and getting disappointed later.

I say this as a translator that gets a bunch of stuff like this and literally get tired of telling people to stop misinterpreting things.

I mean, of course, by all means this thread's speculation can still be right. It's just my Japanese experience is telling me that it's a bad idea to get hyped by such an interpretation.

Edited by shadowofchaos

I really hope it is...also, this got me thinking...

If FE4 does get a remake over here...do you think the game will get a higher rating because, while I haven't gotten through the whole game yet, and to avoid spoilers...some of the things that happen in the game are rather..."mature"...and I doubt most people who love that game won't want it to be super censored out or anything.

21 hours ago, Harvey said:

I have a feeling if they are remaking games this old, then they are obviously trying to appeal to the old FE fans which is what we all want.

Now if Nintendo were to remake Binding Blade and polish its game mechanics.....I may have a soft spot for Roy.

If they repolish that game, I can finally love it like I've always wanted too(because there are good stuff in it, but...that RNG is so screwy)!

17 hours ago, Phoenix Wright said:

i hope so, because then fe4 and fe5 might become a reality. i also honestly wouldn't mind a fe echoes gba saga pack. these games spread out over a 3-4 yr period would be great. (so fe4, fe5, new story, fe gba remakes)

So...Fire Emblem Mega Collection then? :hat: 

s-l225.jpg

9 hours ago, Tolvir said:

Well there is a huge bridge they have to gap between the old fans and the new. There is some serious problems with the community between the two "sides", and its something IS is clearly trying to address. Just look at Fates. Fates was adored by a lot of the newer fans, even if its story left a lot to be desired. Most of the older fans bitched and whined about it as much as they could. Not trying to call out anyone specific, but from a newer fans perspective, the older fans really hate the newer titles. Just look at the reaction to Phoenix mode and to a smaller extent Casual Mode. This was a huge move by IS to bring in a lot of new people to the series, but the older fans saw it as almost a slap in the face of the older titles because perma death was now optional.

Some of the newer fans also like the new support system and avatars, while a good bit of the older fans have nothing but bad things to say about it. Hell, my Mother started playing Fire Emblem recently. The thing she has the most fun doing is playing match maker with all of the characters in Fates. She also plays on Casual mode. It is those systems that have allowed that to happen, because while my mother is a pretty big gamer (she was a raider in Everquest with my father for one of the higher end guilds on their server. She knows video games.), she wasnt all that interested in previous titles.

On the other end, some of the Newer fans aren't entirely interested in the older titles, which is unfortunate. Some of it is because they are incredibly difficult to find, like Radiant Dawn, and the other issue is some were never localized. So its not entirely their fault.

Echoes is to bridge that gap between the two, hopefully, because it really needs to be.

I hope so too man, I want us all to have fun and enjoy it(and just Fire Emblem in-general)!:Joshua:

Edited by Busterman64

"If", even as English, had a direct correlation with the theme of Fates: Making a choice. What if you sided with Hoshido? What if you sided with Nohr? The word is intrinsically reflective of Fates, particularly during its marketing. 

That Fates was divided into 2 games bolsters the argument, really. "If" represents the FE games in Hoshido/Nohr/Valla as a collective unit as a means for more general marketing. "Echoes" can do the same, representing the FE games getting remakes post-Awakening as a collective unit as a means for more general marketing.

Edited by Sonic Boom

What would the 'remake' designation serve? Should new players know or care that the game was remade? Would they want to play it more? Is it a warning that the game is going to buck the trends of the NEWnew games? These remakes aren't like other spinoff series that all share a particular style of gameplay or story, like how Crystal Chronicles and Tactics are an offshoot of the Final Fantasy series.

1 hour ago, Sonic Boom said:

"If", even as English, had a direct correlation with the theme of Fates: Making a choice. What if you sided with Hoshido? What if you sided with Nohr? The word is intrinsically reflective of Fates, particularly during its marketing. 

That Fates was divided into 2 games bolsters the argument, really. "If" represents the FE games in Hoshido/Nohr/Valla as a collective unit as a means for more general marketing. "Echoes" can do the same, representing the FE games getting remakes post-Awakening as a collective unit as a means for more general marketing.

You are, just as the other person, making assumptions about the Japanese perspective.

The General Japanese don't know the implications of "If" as much as they do "Echoes". It may be understood by a good amount of the internet, but the words means nothing when marketing it strictly to Japanese.

The creators will put meaning behind it, of course. But what is "ファイアーエムブレム Echoes" other than going to be repetitive, uncreative, and confusing to a Japanese person to lose interest in after 3 separate iterations?

Fire Emblem If could be split into 3 with subtitles because they were released simultaneously and are the same game.

Their abbreviation for FE games "FE Echoes" for multiple iterations would be shot down.

I wouldn't be surprised if they shortened even that.

For If, it was the same game. And you had easy syllables for each version. Byakuya If, Anya If, and Touma If... FE Anya, FE Byakuya, FE Touma. Hell, Touma is rare and I see "FE inbi"

It's about the same confusion as Wii and a Wii U to some people.

"FE Echoes" as a subseries in Japan would be a confusing disaster for marketing.

At the very least, my perspective shows reasonable doubt to the logic behind assuming "Echoes" will be the names for any future remakes.

The Japanese subtitle this time is also tied to the English. もうひとり another, an echo, a shadow (to which they localized it as)

Making more もうひとり tied to remakes sounds HORRIBLE in Japanese.

I feel like my alternative perspective has be slightly belittled. I'm not being a killjoy, I'm just being realistic. More than anything, I see this all over the internet as a popular notion for FE remakes. But keep in mind that this entire premise of "Echoes" as a sub series.... only works in English.

And even single point addressed towards my doubts, have been English oriented.

I'm not saying they're not making more remakes. I'm saying the title over and over doesn't work in Japanese because it will be confusing.

Edited by shadowofchaos