• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vaximillian

• Anacybele

• Ice Dragon

• Othin

7 minutes ago, KongDude said:

How good is miracle anyone? I've never had it but I haven't seen anyone mention it either. Is it bad or is there just much better choices?

Miracle is a 5-count Special, so generally it just takes too long to start up. Heavy Blade Miracle is kinda funny I guess.

It's pretty useful when you have a Wrathful Staff Sakura solo the Narcian GHB though.

7 minutes ago, wizzard of soz said:

man i feel attacked right now.

I mean, I didn't say it was a bad thing.

21 minutes ago, Sunwoo said:

I use Glimmer on Sanaki and other characters who consistently have good damage. So I guess it's more whether you prefer glimmer's damage calculation or not. I wouldn't want to put it on someone like ... Tsubaki or Henry.

The thing about that is...characters who do good damage without Glimmer will overkill with Glimmer because of how damage calculations for Glimmer work.

It is true that there are many characters you can kill with Glimmer that you would not be able to kill without Glimmer. However, it is also true that all of those enemies that you could kill with Glimmer could also be killed if you used another offensive special (Sanaki, for example, does significantly better with Iceberg, which has a tinge of irony to it). The difference is that because those specials add a flat amount of damage while Glimmer scales off the damage you do after def/res calcs, those specials will also help you deal damage to (and maybe even secure kills on) enemies that you don't normally do good damage to while Glimmer wouldn't do much of anything against those opponents. 

There is not a single character or set in this entire game for which Glimmer would be the special with the best matchup spread. In every single scenario where Glimmer would work well on a unit, there is another special that would work better. 

The only reason to run Glimmer would be if you don't have the fodder for one of the other specials, and even then I would generally advise you to wait since every one of those specials can be inherited from a unit that can be pulled at 3* (Moonbow from Odin/Palla, Luna from Frederick, Bonfire from A!Tiki or M!Robin, Ignis and Iceberg from Niles/Shanna, etc.) (the only exception is Draconic Aura, which can only be inherited from 4* F!Corrin or Camilla). 

Sorry if I come off as a bit harsh... I just want it understood that Glimmer is never the best choice to go with, so that you can further improve your team by replacing it with another special. 

EDIT: It has been brought to my attention that I'm an idiot and that F!Corrin can be pulled at 3* after all. Which means all of the main offensive specials can be inherited from a unit that's pull-able at 3*

Edited by MaskedAmpharos

Oh, I know that. I just don't care about efficiency.

Also, I would've given Sanaki iceberg for certain. But the whole ice-and-fire thing just didn't really do it for me.

1 minute ago, Sunwoo said:

Also, I would've given Sanaki iceberg for certain. But the whole ice-and-fire thing just didn't really do it for me.

Fun fact: Astra in Japanese is called "Meteor", and Glimmer is literally "Evil Star". So if you're still running Cymbeline I guess it kinda fits.

1 minute ago, Sunwoo said:

Oh well alright then. I hope I didn't come off as patronizing or anything. In that case, that last post is for the people who don't know that yet. 

But the irony That's fair. In that case, Draconic Aura is the next best special for her, if you have fodder for that. 

6 minutes ago, MaskedAmpharos said:

The thing about that is...characters who do good damage without Glimmer will overkill with Glimmer because of how damage calculations for Glimmer work.

It is true that there are many characters you can kill with Glimmer that you would not be able to kill without Glimmer. However, it is also true that all of those enemies that you could kill with Glimmer could also be killed if you used another offensive special (Sanaki, for example, does significantly better with Iceberg, which has a tinge of irony to it). The difference is that because those specials add a flat amount of damage while Glimmer scales off the damage you do after def/res calcs, those specials will also help you deal damage to (and maybe even secure kills on) enemies that you don't normally do good damage to while Glimmer wouldn't do much of anything against those opponents. 

There is not a single character or set in this entire game for which Glimmer would be the special with the best matchup spread. In every single scenario where Glimmer would work well on a unit, there is another special that would work better. 

The only reason to run Glimmer would be if you don't have the fodder for one of the other specials, and even then I would generally advise you to wait since every one of those specials can be inherited from a unit that can be pulled at 3* (Moonbow from Odin/Palla, Luna from Frederick, Bonfire from A!Tiki or M!Robin, Ignis and Iceberg from Niles/Shanna, etc.) (the only exception is Draconic Aura, which can only be inherited from 4* F!Corrin or Camilla). 

Sorry if I come off as a bit harsh... I just want it understood that Glimmer is never the best choice to go with, so that you can further improve your team by replacing it with another special. 

While we're talking about Specials, are the "Shield/Defensive" specials ever a good idea?  I never see them recommended for anybody, even defensive characters.

Just now, Rezzy said:

While we're talking about Specials, are the "Shield/Defensive" specials ever a good idea?  I never see them recommended for anybody, even defensive characters.

I recall @Ice Dragon favoring Escutcheon on Brave Hana since it'll be up for her to take the counterattack after her initial two Brave hits. 

I'm actually kind of running low on fodder. I'd love to get more characters with luna or moonbow, but the only one who can provide that is a spare Odin (because I still don't have a Cain for wings of mercy that I want to give Eirika, so my spare Palla needs to provide that).

11 minutes ago, MaskedAmpharos said:

The only reason to run Glimmer would be if you don't have the fodder for one of the other specials, and even then I would generally advise you to wait since every one of those specials can be inherited from a unit that can be pulled at 3* (Moonbow from Odin/Palla, Luna from Frederick, Bonfire from A!Tiki or M!Robin, Iceberg from Niles/Shanna, etc.), and Draconic Aura from F!Corrin.

To stack on to this general point, Glimmer has four fodder sources, and you're better off feeding Lon'qu for Vantage and Jaffar for Life & Death. Peri is also a 4-5* pull.

1 minute ago, phineas81707 said:

To stack on to this general point, Glimmer has four fodder sources, and you're better off feeding Lon'qu for Vantage and Jaffar for Life & Death. Peri is also a 4-5* pull.

Peri is also useful for inheriting Threaten Defense. The only fodder I can think of you wanting to sacrifice for Glimmer is Beruka (and even then you could make a case for Killer Axe+)

2 minutes ago, MaskedAmpharos said:

Peri is also useful for inheriting Threaten Defense. The only fodder I can think of you wanting to sacrifice for Glimmer is Beruka (and even then you could make a case for Killer Axe+)

I gave Sharena Glimmer from Peri, because I had nothing better at the time.  I should probably get around to giving her something better.

18 minutes ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

Fun fact: Astra in Japanese is called "Meteor", and Glimmer is literally "Evil Star". So if you're still running Cymbeline I guess it kinda fits.

The old-timers call Astra "Shooting Star".

Glimmer is most accurately "Star of Calamity" or "Star of Misfortune", which I hear from at least one native speaker basically just means "comet" or "meteor".

14 minutes ago, MaskedAmpharos said:

I recall @Ice Dragon favoring Escutcheon on Brave Hana since it'll be up for her to take the counterattack after her initial two Brave hits. 

@Rezzy

Brave Life and Death glass cannons like Hana and Peri make good use of Escutcheon since it lets them tank some rather absurd counterattacks and makes it easy to activate Desperation without needing to spend a turn to use Ardent Sacrifice.

Edited by Ice Dragon

While we're on the topic of specials:

How do you think the Tempest Trials will affect the value of certain specials? Since you have to survive through multiple rounds without healing in between, do you think healing specials like Sol or Noontime could become more valuable? Or do you think it's still best to just blow through with offensive specials? (Obviously it's hard to say without actually experiencing the maps, but I'm curious to hear some pre-release speculation)

38 minutes ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

It's okay....

Did he have G Tomebreaker lol? I've actually seen a Hector with that.

No he had Vantage +Bonfire proc'd :(

My whole team almost got solo'd......

3 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

The old-timers call Astra "Shooting Star".

Glimmer is most accurately "Star of Calamity", which I hear from at least one native speaker basically just means "comet" or "meteor".

Huh, never heard of 凶星 just standing for comet. I thought about writing Star of Calamity but I just thought of feng shui stuff and my brain blew a raspberry.

1 minute ago, Arcanite said:

No he had Vantage +Bonfire proc'd :(

My whole team almost got solo'd......

Why didn't you check skills bro

Who saved the day?

1 minute ago, MaskedAmpharos said:

While we're on the topic of specials:

How do you think the Tempest Trials will affect the value of certain specials? Since you have to survive through multiple rounds without healing in between, do you think healing specials like Sol or Noontime could become more valuable? Or do you think it's still best to just blow through with offensive specials? (Obviously it's hard to say without actually experiencing the maps, but I'm curious to hear some pre-release speculation)

Maybe I can make use of all the 5* Healers I've got.  Maybe I should get a Troubadour for Horse Emblem ready, but I'll have to see how it goes.  I hope our tries aren't limited.  I want to be able to experiment.

Just now, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

Why didn't you check skills

Because I'm a square :(

2 minutes ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

Who saved the day?

The beautiful surrender button :'(

3 minutes ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

Huh, never heard of 凶星 just standing for comet. I thought about writing Star of Calamity but I just thought of feng shui stuff and my brain blew a raspberry.

Why didn't you check skills bro

Who saved the day?

1 minute ago, Arcanite said:

Because I'm a square :(

The beautiful surrender button :'(

To be fair, some matches are unwinnable, even if you know the skills.

2 minutes ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

Maybe, but I don't subscribe to that line of thinking. If you don't think you can win, you'll never win.

There is always the Kobayashi Maru.  It's how we choose to deal with those scenarios.

I just realized that the Special Counter Seal will let Brave Users get a free Moonbow off with no chance at countering.  I wonder how Bridelia and Reinhardt could use that.