• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vaximillian

• Anacybele

• Ice Dragon

• Othin

24 minutes ago, Icelerate said:

Sounds like a combination of Ranulf and Brave Lucina. Quite fitting as he's sharper and more leaderlike than his siblings and Kieran. I don't really have a use for him atm. I'll probably just hoard feathers and divine dew for the foreseeable future or finally build a Caeda. 

@Ice Dragon am i missing something or is this the first weapon in the game that had 3 effect unless horse and man orgy is now a single skill? or i guess 4 effect since its a refine so HP+3 which is even crazier.

I mean the weapon ISNT that good, in that Elincia, Saizo from the very same round is arguably better and individually Cain/Abel weapon was absurd on the wrong owner and such but still

10 minutes ago, JSND Alter Dragon Boner said:

@Ice Dragon am i missing something or is this the first weapon in the game that had 3 effect unless horse and man orgy is now a single skill? or i guess 4 effect since its a refine so HP+3 which is even crazier.

I mean the weapon ISNT that good, in that Elincia, Saizo from the very same round is arguably better and individually Cain/Abel weapon was absurd on the wrong owner and such but still

Technically All the Falchion Refines have 4 effects, no? Dragon Effectiveness, Renewal, HP +3 and the Refine effect.

4 minutes ago, FoxyGrandpa said:

Technically All the Falchion Refines have 4 effects, no? Dragon Effectiveness, Renewal, HP +3 and the Refine effect.

Effectiveness is basiclaly the poster boy of half effect since day 1. So, no.

Generally refine usually had 3 effect while batch units had 2 effect on their weapon, with half effects sprinkling here and there. Micaiah, iirc was one few exceptions

3 hours ago, Othin said:

Problem with "all Book 3 OCs on one banner" is that of the four we've seen so far, three are green.

Hel is most likely going to be a mythic hero due to her daughter being one. 

1 hour ago, Sunwoo said:

Hide contents

Ugh, not another "she". The number of female OCs to male OCs is so ridiculous.

The main series games prior to Awakening had twice as many male on average IIRC. Do you find that ridiculous? Personally, I don't really care. 

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Sounds like I'll be able to conserve a hoard of Orbs for the Revivals until maybe early September, when my hopes and dreams will be open ones once more. Although I might spring for Beliwood, taking Mic for my freebie, if only because having an Eliwood sounds nice, and the canon one we have is a real eyeful to look at.  

What do you want Brave Micaiah to be based on? Sephiran? 

1 hour ago, Anacybele said:
  Hide contents

...A female named Thor? But wasn't Thor always a dude in Norse? Loki in Norse can change up his gender, but Thor can't. Weirdest name choice ever in this game so far imo. Also, I agree with female OCs becoming way too numerous compared to male ones. But if she's cool anyway, I look forward to her!

Spoiler

Well...if you go by certain mythologies, Thor either dresses up or is spelled to look like a woman named Freya so he can seduce the King of the Frost Giants to reclaim Mjölnir. This Thor may reference that, and Loki being Loki may have locked her into a female form. 

2 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

So about the datamine:

Hide contents

Thor I guess could be a codename, not the real deal. Or perhaps they're referencing the story where Thor had his hammer stolen and had to be disguised as a woman, the beautiful Freya, offered to those who stole it as a bride. In said story, Mjolnir might be a phallic symbol and Thor's loss of it thus means a loss of manhood. Once he reobtains it he smashes apart the thieves though.

On that note, they haven't used Freya yet at all in FE, which I find odd. The Goddess of Love, Marriage, and Sex, and the origin of the English word Friday should be taken by now.

As for the male-female OC count @Sunwoo

Males:

1. Alfonse
  2. Bruno
  3. Surtr
  4. Hrid
  5. Helbindi
  6. Lif
  7. Gustav

Females:

1. Sharena
  2. Anna of Askr
  3. Veronica
  4. Fjorm
  5. Loki
  6. Laejarn
  7. Laevatein
  8. Gunnthra
  9. Yigr
  10. Eir
  11. Hel
  12. Thrasir
  13. Henrietta(?)
  14. "Thor"

So Book 1 was all well and dandy. 3 Females and 2 Males. Book 2 is where things started slipping to the 1:2 male-female ratio it is now.

I blame the three Nifl sisters and two Muspell sisters. Making either Gunnthra or Ylgr a dude, and one of the fire sisters a guy might have made the ratio less dumb. Book 3 is taking the gender ratio and running away with it. Also, they really could've made Hrid and/or Lif wield something besides swords.

EDIT: Considering that FE takes place in a fantasy medieval past, several of the older FE nations were shown to have some degree of sexism, and even in a society that is less sexist you don't see a lot of women in warfare, no. I don't find the gender ratio of pre-Awakening games to be ridiculous, Icelerate. It works in context, and it's not like Heroes has a reason to have a disproportionately larger female cast aside from "gacha".

Edited by Sunwoo

Casual reminder that the appropriation of western mythologies in Japanese games is not meant to depict them in a way that is faithful to the source material. Isn't that right, Cain and Abel, loyal knights of Prince Mars?

Also, World Tree when?

1 hour ago, JSND Alter Dragon Boner said:

Nile's Bow was the first to have 3 that count. It has Killer and Shining as its base skills and Flashing Blade 3 as its refine. Flier effectiveness doesn't count.

And Horse and Man Orgy is still a single skill. It's basically 2 Joint Drive skills that pretend half of the game's movement types don't exist.

Refine HP is not counted, otherwise pretty much every refined weapon would have 3 or more skills.

6 minutes ago, silverserpent said:

I thought that was Mila's Tree? Or was I mkstaken?

Needs to be called World Tree or Yggdrasil. Most often the former since neither Japanese nor Western VAs can pronounce such gibberish. Actually having it act as a mechanism for traversing worlds? Optional. Again, we're here to rob names, not plot devices.

2 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

Needs to be called World Tree or Yggdrasil. Most often the former since neither Japanese nor Western VAs can pronounce such gibberish. Actually having it act as a mechanism for traversing worlds? Optional. Again, we're here to rob names, not plot devices.

This is very true. Now if the Outrealms had been portals with very large branches framing them...we might have gotten to the mechanic base of Yggdrasil.

28 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

Most often the former since neither Japanese nor Western VAs can pronounce such gibberish.

The Japanese have zero trouble because the writing system for foreign words is phonetic and deterministic.

10 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

The Japanese have zero trouble because the writing system for foreign words is phonetic and deterministic.

Yes...I imagine writing Japanese words in Japanese is very simple. But if you knew what I'm talking about when I say the word "Engrish" then you can probably agree with me when I say they have trouble saying foreign words, which is what I am referring to. They cannot write Yggdrasil, they can only write their closest approximation with the kana they have. As for speaking, that's a whole different dimension. Especially if you're tasked to say a gibberish word seamlessly within a sentence that otherwise is composed of your native language. That's hard for any VA. Why go the extra mile, is my point.

44 minutes ago, silverserpent said:

This is very true. Now if the Outrealms had been portals with very large branches framing them...we might have gotten to the mechanic base of Yggdrasil.

It would be God of War, yes. Fast travel points separated by literal branches, which is not depicted in that video. Not that there's a problem with taking mythology at face value for a story. If mythologies didn't resonate with people on some level, we wouldn't be telling those same stories across several thousands of years.

1 hour ago, Sunwoo said:

Considering that FE takes place in a fantasy medieval past, several of the older FE nations were shown to have some degree of sexism, and even in a society that is less sexist you don't see a lot of women in warfare, no. I don't find the gender ratio of pre-Awakening games to be ridiculous, Icelerate. It works in context, and it's not like Heroes has a reason to have a disproportionately larger female cast aside from "gacha".

And even with the flying pegasi, magic and all kinds of other creative freedoms with their "medieval" setting, the one thing they absolutely HAD to stay faithful to is the sexism? Sorry, but I really dislike this kind of argument. This isn't a historical treatise or even documentary, it's a fictional world created in the last years of the 20th century for a modern audience. When sexism is shown in old FE it's never actually a focus of anything in the story and pretty much just a random background fluff thing that vanishes everytime we get celebrated female warriors anyway. If you want to argue FE is just accurately representing the sexism of the time as a sort of force in the life of it's female characters, that's just not consistently true. There is no off-switch for the patriarchy in RL. So what's the point of implementing it in the first place? And representing the fact that women rarely join the military even today is also very farfetched to think of as the motivation for the game developers.

Fact is, the low number of female units is just another expression of the 90s (and somewhat 00s) attitude towards female characters in video games as an after thought. It's as visible as Alm having to rescue every single female member of his army. That doesn't detract at all from the fact that Heroes prioritizes female characters solely on a money-based angle and treats them accordingly, while male characters get left in the dust.

4 minutes ago, Nanima said:

And even with the flying pegasi, magic and all kinds of other creative freedoms with their "medieval" setting, the one thing they absolutely HAD to stay faithful to is the sexism? Sorry, but I really dislike this kind of argument. This isn't a historical treatise or even documentary, it's a fictional world created in the last years of the 20th century for a modern audience. When sexism is shown in old FE it's never actually a focus of anything in the story and pretty much just a random background fluff thing that vanishes everytime we get celebrated female warriors anyway. If you want to argue FE is just accurately representing the sexism of the time as a sort of force in the life of it's female characters, that's just not consistently true. There is no off-switch for the patriarchy in RL. So what's the point of implementing it in the first place? And representing the fact that women rarely join the military even today is also very farfetched to think of as the motivation for the game developers.

Fact is, the low number of female units is just another expression of the 90s (and somewhat 00s) attitude towards female characters in video games as an after thought. It's as visible as Alm having to rescue every single female member of his army. That doesn't detract at all from the fact that Heroes prioritizes female characters solely on a money-based angle and treats them accordingly, while male characters get left in the dust.

Well, that is just like your opinion and all. You're welcome to have it and you're welcome to disagree with me and have an actual discussion on it. But I don't really give a shit if you dislike it or if it somehow offends you. Also, note that I never actually said that I think it's "accurately" representing anything. I just said I don't find it ridiculous.

I'd laugh if Thor was introduced just to be the Rokkr Sieges attendant. And even though she's always there, you actually would have to summon her in the future to have her on your team.

Thor being Eir's actual mother or someone blood related would be interesting.

Edited by Kaden

7 minutes ago, Kaden said:

I'd laugh if Thor was introduced just to be the Rokkr Sieges attendant. And even though she's always there, you actually would have to summon her in the future to have her on your team.

Thor being Eir's actual mother or someone blood related would be interesting.

Considering Veronica is moveing now on Hel and her Lore with Loki, i wouldnt be surprised if Loki played one or two tricks on that Thor and pushed her to another Realm. Where have I seen that... hm... Time for a crossover dress event:

65mu7u907g331.png

On the next episode of FEH:

Odin Fates (Darth Vader voice): "Loki I am your father!"

Edited by Hilda

11 minutes ago, Sunwoo said:

Well, that is just like your opinion and all. You're welcome to have it and you're welcome to disagree with me and have an actual discussion on it. But I don't really give a shit if you dislike it or if it somehow offends you. Also, note that I never actually said that I think it's "accurately" representing anything. I just said I don't find it ridiculous

Well, I mean I gave a detailed explanation and argument for my case, but if you don't want to engage with that, that's fine too.

12 minutes ago, Kaden said:

[DATAMINE]

Spoiler

That actually is where she is introduced:

5 minutes ago, Tybrosion said:

[DATAMINE]

Hide contents

That actually is where she is introduced:

Spoiler

Alfador or Alfdur in norse mythology. Interesting they arent going with the usually used Odin, but indeed with the ancient creator in norse mythology.

5 minutes ago, Nanima said:

Well, I mean I gave a detailed explanation and argument for my case, but if you don't want to engage with that, that's fine too.

Your case comes off more like you want to preach and you don't want an actual discussion. But if you did want an actual discussion, then my response is that pegasi and magic existing doesn't change human nature. Pretty much every fantasy world in published fiction nowadays has some sort of prejudice, even if it's not necessarily sexism. A lot of stories run on prejudice against different groups of people. Heck, that's basically Tellius's main plot. It might not be sexism specifically, but there's always some sort of prejudice present in a society of humans or humanoids, and unless you can reprogram human nature there will always be prejudice.

Also, regardless of whether one likes it or not, Archanea and Jugdral existing in a sexist world makes it very different from Tellius, which can work well for world building if the devs actually put some thought and effort into it. The fact that Nyna couldn't ascend to the throne without a husband kicks FE3 into motion, whereas Elincia's existence was a legit threat to her uncle's place on the throne. Jugdral being somewhat sexist could've worked in interesting ways with how Holy Blood inheritance is handled, if they cared to go into detail there (the fact they didn't really is a shortcoming of Jugdral's).

I'm not defending some of the really bad and dumb choices that FE writing makes, regardless of whether the society is sexist or not. Echoes really did fuck up all of its female characters, considering that neither Zofia nor Rigel seem to be explicitly sexist societies and that it's a remake of an old game that was very barebones. I won't defend Echoes on that front. I'm just saying that it's less ridiculous for me to have a disproportionately male cast in a game that has a sexist society.

I also wouldn't mind Heroes having more women than men by itself if I wasn't so convinced it was only doing it so that a straight male Kiran could have his pick from all the different princesses rather than actually having a purpose. Also, it's squandering world building potential. Nifl, for example, has three sisters and a brother and was ruled by a queen. Wouldn't it be cool if Nifl had an explicitly matrilineal succession and so Gunnthra was always meant to be the next queen while Hrid could only inherit if all his sisters were dead? This could really change some character dynamics and interactions, and give an otherwise boring nation a little bit of flavor. Currently it just reads as "there are lots of princesses so Kiran could have lots of choices".