Fire Emblem Heroes General Discussion and Links

eclipse

34 minutes ago, Hilda said:
  Hide contents

Alfador or Alfdur in norse mythology. Interesting they arent going with the usually used Odin, but indeed with the ancient creator in norse mythology.

Spoiler

I'm guessing they didn't want to reuse it after giving it to Owain's persona in Fates, so they chose a different name to get around it.  

• Replies 77k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vaximillian

• Anacybele

• Ice Dragon

• Othin

2 hours ago, Glennstavos said:

Yes...I imagine writing Japanese words in Japanese is very simple. But if you knew what I'm talking about when I say the word "Engrish" then you can probably agree with me when I say they have trouble saying foreign words, which is what I am referring to. They cannot write Yggdrasil, they can only write their closest approximation with the kana they have. As for speaking, that's a whole different dimension. Especially if you're tasked to say a gibberish word seamlessly within a sentence that otherwise is composed of your native language. That's hard for any VA. Why go the extra mile, is my point.

Engrish only applies when a person is actually trying to write or speak in English and messes it up. Pronouncing a Japanese word borrowed from another language in Japanese within a Japanese sentence is not Engrish.

Just like how the words "guacamole" and "burrito" in the middle of "Can I get some guacamole to go with my burrito" are not incorrect despite the fact that they are pronounced completely wrong in Spanish because they are English words borrowed from Spanish in English within an English sentence.

Edited by Ice Dragon

7 hours ago, Icelerate said:

Hel is most likely going to be a mythic hero due to her daughter being one. 

We have not yet seen a unit that appeared as an enemy without an elemental bonus later appear as an ally with one. It might be something they'll be willing to do eventually, but I'm not convinced. Remember, even Surtr ended up as a regular unit.

11 hours ago, Icelerate said:

Hel is most likely going to be a mythic hero due to her daughter being one. 

I can see Hel as a Dark Mythic Hero, to be the opposite of Eir. However, we already have Yune as a Green Flier for Dark Seasons... Maybe Anima then?

And just like Surtr, she may have a personal skill that will be only available on her summonable version.

12 hours ago, Icelerate said:

What do you want Brave Micaiah to be based on? Sephiran? 

I'm not picky. Nor do I know what to predict. It'll likely be some vague "family or beloved" theme again, there must be one unit of each Color as well. I don't really want Brave Micaiah, so much as I'll make an exemption from my anti-alt rules for the Braves, and Micaiah is simply the one I like the most of the four this time I guess.

Which cog in the wheel Micaiah ends up being I haven't the faintest. I don't expect her to dual wield Ragnell and Alondite after greatx60 grandma, I think she'll remain magical, and she can't be Breath or Beast obviously. But Tome or Staff, and which Tome Color? Or maybe she'll take knife lessons from Sothe, sounds feasible, but then the question of Color arises again. 

10 hours ago, Glennstavos said:

Also, World Tree when?

Jugdral.

It's pronounced Ygg-dral. Ygg-dra-sil is the pronunciation of the Norse World Tree's name, the FE continent uses a contraction/corruption of it.

Although FE did give us Altena and later Athena- two characters using the same mythological name. IS could do the same here. Although "Altena" might be a fusion of Artemis and Athena, Artemis being a name used prior for the Nyna's cursed ancestor.

On the topic of gender ratios, Awakening and Fates did achieve equality of the sexes, with all older games being somewhere between a quarter to a third female. I can't find my breakdown game by game of this I posted somewhere else in this forum- if someone can, do tell me. 

Perhaps 13 and 14 equalized the genders because of modern gender equality, or maybe it had to do with having a 2nd Gen with one child per childbearing parent.

Genealogy had pairing, but due to 2 child per mother and the presence of fixed units in the 2nd Gen, it had an unbalanced gender ratio of 13 bachelors to 7 bachelorettes. Gen 2 has 13 bachelors to 8 bachelorettes.

Also, some old gender in FEH data I did find from March of this year:

Spoiler

Some numbers, as of the third batch of spring units: (from @Othin

• 359 total playable units in Heroes (including Spring Loki). 171 are male (47.6%), 188 are female (52.4%).
  • 86 seasonal units in Heroes (including TT ones). 32 are male (37.2%), 54 are female (62.8%).
  • 198 total 5* exclusive units in Heroes (seasonals, legendary/mythic, and regular summoning pool). 75 are male (37.9%), 122 are female (62.1%). (This count assumes Thea becomes available at 4-5* and no other characters from the FE6 banner do.)

From @XRay

Heroic Grail units are heavily male skewed:
35 Males (71.43%) ; 14 Females (28.57%)

Hide contents

Grand Heroes are heavily male skewed:
23 Males (82.14%) : 5 Females (17.86%)

Tempest Trials Heroes are slightly male skewed
12 Males (57.14%) : 9 Females (42.86%)

Legendary/Mythic Heroes are slightly female skewed:
8 Males (47.01%) : 9 Females (52.94%)

Hide contents

Legendary Heroes are slightly female skewed:
7 Males (46.67%) : 8 Females (53.33%)

Mythic Heroes are balanced:
1 Male (50%) : 1 Female (50%)

Special Heroes proper are female skewed:
21 Males (36.21%) : 37 Females (63.79%)

Heroes in the regular summoning pool (not Askr Trio, Special Heroes, Grand Heroes, Tempest Trials Heroes, Legendary Heroes, nor Mythic Heroes) are slightly female skewed:
97 Male (45.75%) : 115 Female (54.25%)

Hide contents

Red Heroes are slightly male skewed:
37 Male (52.11%) : 34 Female (47.89%)

Blue Heroes are female skewed:
19 Male (34.55%) : 36 Female (65.45%)

Green Heroes are slightly male skewed:
22 Male (52.38%) : 20 Female (47.62%)

Colorless Heroes are slightly female skewed:
19 Male (43.18%) : 25 Female (56.82%)

28 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Jugdral.

It's pronounced Ygg-dral. Ygg-dra-sil is the pronunciation of the Norse World Tree's name, the FE continent uses a contraction/corruption of it.

What the f- I'm an IDIOT to have missed that.

I've even been pronouncing it yūg-dral in my head this whole time which is very similar. Here I was thinking Fire Emblem was late to basic Norse tropes, when it was actually ME who was late to fire emblem. No wonder they named Fjorm after a creek. I'd be running out of ideas too.

21 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

I've even been pronouncing it yūg-dral in my head this whole time which is very similar. Here I was thinking Fire Emblem was late to basic Norse tropes, when it was actually ME who was late to fire emblem. No wonder they named Fjorm after a creek. I'd be running out of ideas too.

I...thought Jugdral was pronounced Jug-drul. With a J. So. Ahem.

You know, it just occurred to me. 

In Awakening, when the kids were sent to the past, Laurent was sent way back compared to the others, so he had to wait the longest before the others found him and as a result, he’s cronologically older than all the other kids, despite at least Lucina being born before him. 

Since every other Awakening kid is now available in some shape or form, I wonder if FEH is trying to recreate Laurent’s backstory for when he releases. I’m definitely expecting him to reference it through his castle quotes. 

38 minutes ago, Jave said:

You know, it just occurred to me. 

In Awakening, when the kids were sent to the past, Laurent was sent way back compared to the others, so he had to wait the longest before the others found him and as a result, he’s cronologically older than all the other kids, despite at least Lucina being born before him. 

Since every other Awakening kid is now available in some shape or form, I wonder if FEH is trying to recreate Laurent’s backstory for when he releases. I’m definitely expecting him to reference it through his castle quotes. 

That would be funny if they're doing this with that in mind.....but I somehow think that is just a coincidence and that him being last simply has everything to do with him being hopelessly unpopular, especially for an Awakening character sorry Sunwoo. His mother never being particularly popular among the Gen 1 cast (and also being absent from FEH) is likely doing him no favors either. That, and we definitely aren't in dire need of more infantry mages (there's only 49 albeit only two have been added since Book III started of them across all three colors).

57 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

The father of FE, Shouzou Kaga had this to say back in 1996, the same year as FE4's release:

"The previous entries were based on Greek and Roman mythology, and had a lighter tone to them. Conversely, this game takes inspiration from Norse and Celtic mythology.
For example, Deirdre is actually the name of a woeful woman from Celtic mythology who was subjected to the whims of fate. Those who are familiar with her tale should be able to see the connections. Other names taken from mythology include Tailtiu and Erinys, as well as Naoise, Alec, and Arden³. I took inspiration from Norse and Celtic mythology while crafting the characters’ backgrounds and appearances as well; I wanted to create a sort of modernised retelling of old legends and myths.
Grannvale, as a country, takes inspiration from Germany and Scandinavia, in other words Germanic countries and culture. Which makes the name ‘Sigurd’ a fitting name for the protagonist (laughs).
Sigurd was named after Siegfried."

Full translated interview here.

And if you're looking a for pretty full set of Jugdral's mythological references, you can find them here on SF. The Dark Warlords became the Deadlords in FE13 though, and had their names changed from German for the numbers 1-12, to the Chinese Zodiac with Latin names.

Most notable to me is that Heimdallr is the destined enemy of Loki at Ragnarok, when Saint Heim leader of the Crusaders vanquished Loptous/Loki. And Cigyun, the mother of Arvis and Deirdre having the one surviving strand of Loptous's cursed blood, is mythologically Loptous's wife.

I came up with a possible Kieran setup for Heroes.

HP: 40
Atk: 37
Spd: 32
Def: 34
Res: 14

Firesweep Axe+
Special - Sol
A - Fury 4
B - Gamble 3 (!): Accelerates Special trigger (cooldown count-1), but inflicts Atk-3
C - Spur Atk/Def 2

We still don't have Firesweep Axe in the game at all, so this is what I'd give Kieran if he doesn't get a prf. Fury 4 is there because Kieran canonically has a tendency to hurt himself lol. And it'd be nice to have Fury 4 somewhere other than Greil who is seasonal only right now. Gamble is Kieran's skill in PoR, but it can't exactly work the same way in Heroes as it does there, so I had to alter it a bit. In PoR, it increases the chance Kieran will crit while lowering his accuracy. So for Heroes, I changed it to lowering Atk in exchange for quicker special cooldown. Spur Atk/Def is to parallel Oscar's Spur Spd/Def.

This is slight powercreep on Oscar both BST wise (this Kieran would have 3 more BST) and skillset wise, but such a thing is kind of inevitable. Still, I tried to make the powercreep small.

3 hours ago, Glennstavos said:

I think your original belief of how to pronounce it is correct. They spelled Jugdral ユグドラル in katakana, so the ユ "yū" is right there. If they wanted the y in ygg they should've used イ. That said, it's certainly a name inspired by the tree's.

2 hours ago, Tybrosion said:

That would be funny if they're doing this with that in mind.....but I somehow think that is just a coincidence and that him being last simply has everything to do with him being hopelessly unpopular, especially for an Awakening character sorry Sunwoo. His mother never being particularly popular among the Gen 1 cast (and also being absent from FEH) is likely doing him no favors either. That, and we definitely aren't in dire need of more infantry mages (there's only 49 albeit only two have been added since Book III started of them across all three colors).

You don't need to be sorry about what's true, lol, I've always been aware that neither Laurent nor Miriel are popular at all. If any continent is likely to get all its playable representation, though, Awakening has a good shot.

Edited by Sunwoo

16 minutes ago, stk5 said:

I think your original belief of how to pronounce it is correct. They spelled Jugdral ユグドラル in katakana, so the ユ "yū" is right there. If they wanted the y in ygg they should've used イ. That said, it's certainly a name inspired by the tree's.

"Yggdrasil" in Japanese is "ユグドラシル" (yugudorashiru) because the letter "y" transcribed from Old Norse makes the same sound as "ü" in German or "u" in French and "ユ" (yu) is the standard way to transcribe that sound into Japanese.

Edited by Ice Dragon

36 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

"Yggdrasil" in Japanese is "ユグドラシル" (yugudorashiru) because the letter "y" transcribed from Old Norse makes the same sound as "ü" in German or "u" in French and "ユ" (yu) is the standard way to transcribe that sound into Japanese.

Huh, well today I learned, I suppose. I tried to double-check myself by searching for examples of that but didn't find any — everything I could think of used "sekaiju" instead of a loanword. Oh well! 😄

3 minutes ago, stk5 said:

Huh, well today I learned, I suppose. I tried to double-check myself by searching for examples of that but didn't find any — everything I could think of used "sekaiju" instead of a loanword. Oh well! 😄

The easiest way to find the most common transcription of a not-too-obscure mythological name in another language is to go to the English Wikipedia page and see if the page exists in the other language.

3 hours ago, Tybrosion said:

That, and we definitely aren't in dire need of more infantry mages (there's only 49 albeit only two have been added since Book III started of them across all three colors).

Speaking of which, looking over the unit selection for each color of infantry mage, Red might tie Blue with 17, but it could I think use some new blood.

Consider who exists, and you'll see Red is heavily Gen 1 units and GHB welfares, including Raigh, Canas, and Julius. Its three Seasonals are the Gen 1 SolgaLeo, the refresher so lower BST Yukaiah, and Bride Tharja.

Blue on the other hand has a generally excellent lineup (excluding what, Oliver and Saias?), and Green is also better than Red I think.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

2 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Speaking of which, looking over the unit selection for each color of infantry mage, Red might tie Blue with 17, but it could I think use some new blood.

Consider who exists, and you'll see Red is heavily Gen 1 units and GHB welfares, including Raigh, Canas, and Julius. Its three Seasonals are the Gen 1 SolgaLeo, the refresher so lower BST Yukaiah, and Bride Tharja.

Blue on the other hand has a generally excellent lineup (excluding what, Oliver and Saias?), and Green is also better than Red I think.

Stupidly OP Tormod when

Random qusetion but what is going to be the farfetched heroed/brave redux banner of this year with all the heroes we have received? The only ones I could find are Lif and Thrasir, but they might appear at the end of book 3, other than them who else could appear, or is it going to be skipped this year? 

Gen 3 has been light on infantry so far in general. Only ones so far are Nailah, Keaton, Velouria, Legendary Roy, Lugh, Rutger, Mordecai, Legendary Alm, Mareeta, Fallen Corrin, Fallen Delthea, and now Nah and Brady, for a total of 13.

Interestingly, by my count we've gotten 14 Gen 3 armors so far.

7 minutes ago, SuperNova125 said:

Random qusetion but what is going to be the farfetched heroed/brave redux banner of this year with all the heroes we have received? The only ones I could find are Lif and Thrasir, but they might appear at the end of book 3, other than them who else could appear, or is it going to be skipped this year? 

Awakening Anna and Jill are both very likely. Not sure about the guys.

Edited by Othin

4 minutes ago, SuperNova125 said:

For females, the order is

1. Anna (Awakening)
  2. Louise
  3. Thrasir
  4. Jill

We don't know if Farfetched Heroes will skip Louise or not due to her recent seasonal version since this situation has never happened before. We do have precedence for characters not appearing due to being already planned for another banner (Micaiah), so Thrasir is unlikely. This means it'll be Anna and either Louise or Jill.

For males, the order is

1. Bruno
  2. Lif
  3. Grima?
  4. Conrad
  5. Nils

Which is really weird. Bruno is unlikely. He's likely to be on an eventual banner with vanilla Veronica sometime in the not-so-near future. Lif is also unlikely for the same reason as Thrasir.

Grima... I have no idea about because he's kind of sort of in the game already. Also not even sure if he actually counts as male.

I'm guessing Conrad and Nils unless we get another Blazing Sword banner with Nils on it, in which case Shinon is next.

Just now, Sunwoo said:

Stupidly OP Tormod when

Looking at the canon magic users who are certain or very likely to be Red Tomes:

Spoiler
  1. Etzel- Sure we never see him carry Dark Magic, and the only one he possibly could is Swarm by taking it off Gotoh in SD, but his class is Sorcerer.
  2. Azelle- But they might give him his promotion horse and make him a Mage Knight
  3. Miranda- Also has the promotion horse variability. Her unrivaled highest starting magic rank is in Fire. The only FE5 playable unit that is that way.
  4. Salem- Another Thracian, another problem of being from the least popular game.
  5. Manfroy- How little popularity he likely has means I doubt we'd ever see him, and he'd likely be a crappy GHB unit. Though he could bring the Hel tome.
  6. Veld- Manfroy, but worse and now with Stone.
  7. Niime- A playable old lady, very rare in FE. But likely? Ehh...
  8. Athos- Forblaze is his creation, Lilina didn't steal it either. Aureola exists too for him, but I'll say Forblaze over that. Could go Mythic.
  9. Nergal- Well he is the main villain of FE7, but he doesn't seem very popular, and would likely be GHB and not so great.
  10. Bramimond- Maybe as Mythic Hero 17, I don't see him coming very soon.
  11. Knoll- Being trampled on by Eirika led to a noticeable rise in his CYL ranking. Will pity bring us him?
  12. Tormod
  13. A First Class Mage Who is Actually a Sage- Calill
  14. Sorrowful Prince Pelleas- But know how pathetic he fundamentally is, he'll walk into FEH with a botched statline that says "Gen 3 Raigh".
  15. Miriel- I consider her Red Tome Infantry beyond the margin of error of her acquiring status as any other kind of unit, as the result of what her starting tome is in Awakening. Miriel carries a Fire tome, in contrast to Ricken who has an Elwind, and Robin who has a Thunder. Therefore I postulate the choice of starting tomes in Gen 1 individuals was done with a certain intent, and thereby relegate Miriel to the predicted certainty of existing as a Red Tome within the context of this game.

Honestly, Tormod doesn't have a lot of real competition amongst the certain-to-be-Red Tomes. Azelle stands a chance of beating him out as being the next due to being the most popular remaining FE4 Gen 1 male on CYL3, but I'd rather he get a horse. Athos has a chance of being Mythic, the best for Elibe since Idunn got shot down for that. Calill is only equal to Tormod really.

Knoll I'd dare to say is also likely for the next SS New Heroes, whenever that finally comes. Knoll could very be our next RTI. And given they've given us Drunk-ish Dame in a Towel, Righteous Rabbit, Spring Seduction, Grace in a Gown, and now Pega-Pony Princess, maybe Knoll won't be relegated to a "terrible" welfare unit.

As for Infantry Tomes that could go any Color, I'm seeing on the playable side:

Spoiler
  1. Wendel
  2. Boah
  3. Gotoh (Starlight? That would make him Blue.)
  4. Jubelo
  5. Arthur (could get a horse)
  6. Hugh
  7. Erk
  8. Pent (but he is probably going to be Blue with his groom self that way)
  9. Ewan
  10. Saleh (I'd assign him Green for Sacred Excalibur, but Ewan or an alt could nab that instead)
  11. Laurent
  12. Nyx (Odin isn't Red, so why must she?)

9 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

The easiest way to find the most common transcription of a not-too-obscure mythological name in another language is to go to the English Wikipedia page and see if the page exists in the other language.

That's a good idea. Also, lol that the Japanese page for Yggdrasil has IPA for it but the English page currently does not.

People probably shouldn't kick themselves too much over pronouncing "Jugdral" differently all this time. It's a misleading spelling — "ju" isn't a common way of writing /y/ or even /ɪ/.

4 minutes ago, stk5 said:

People probably shouldn't kick themselves too much over pronouncing "Jugdral" differently all this time. It's a misleading spelling — "ju" isn't a common way of writing /y/ or even /ɪ/. 

That would explain it then, yeah. It's a misleading spelling in that case indeed.

Nobody had anything to say about my idea for Kieran. Oh well, doesn't matter, as long as people saw/read it, I'm good. I just felt like posting it. 🙂 But in any case, I really would like to see Firesweep Axe soon! We don't have many speedy axe wielders that would use it well right now, but some could always be added.