Fire Emblem Heroes General Discussion and Links

eclipse

23 hours ago, Anacybele said:

I always thought she was too Mary sueish for my liking and just don't think she's a well written character. She always sucked in RD for me too and she's annoying to keep alive. I also don't like her for being more liked than Elincia who I believe is much better written and also is prettier. Micaiah isn't ugly or anything design wise, but yeah.

Micaiah is an MC, non MC characters much harder to be popular.  Just look at most of the winners of CYL 1, 2, and 3.  As far as Mary/Gary Stu most lords seem to be like that.  She is unique in being a magic user and being non human.  Also unlike other female lords she isn't a pin up model, she is petiite cute and pretty but not drop dead gorgeous.  

• Replies 77k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vaximillian

• Anacybele

• Ice Dragon

• Othin

8 minutes ago, Lewyn said:

Micaiah is an MC, non MC characters much harder to be popular.  Just look at most of the winners of CYL 1, 2, and 3.  As far as Mary/Gary Stu most lords seem to be like that.  She is unique in being a magic user and being non human.  Also unlike other female lords she isn't a pin up model, she is petiite cute and pretty but not drop dead gorgeous.  

Elincia is a main character too, even if she isn't an actual lord. And plenty of non-lords are very popular anyway. Most of the Fates royals are pretty popular, and there's Tharja, Black Knight, Robin, etc. The lords are mostly the ones getting brave alts right now because they're just the MOST popular.

Micaiah is not non-human. She's still a human but with some special abilities.

1 minute ago, Anacybele said:

Most fantasy cultures treat half-humans as non-human, and they are usually shunned by both humans and the culture of their other half alike. While it is extremely cliche, it's also a convenient device (hence the cliche usage) for making commentary about prejudice in the real world without the cultural baggage that comes with using real-life demographic groups.

Just now, Ice Dragon said:

Most fantasy cultures treat half-humans as non-human, and they are usually shunned by both humans and the culture of their other half alike. While it is extremely cliche, it's also a convenient device (hence the cliche usage) for making commentary about prejudice in the real world without the cultural baggage that comes with using real-life demographic groups.

Well, Tellius has shown no indication of not considering the Branded to be human. They're just hated.

31 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Elincia is a main character too, even if she isn't an actual lord. And plenty of non-lords are very popular anyway. Most of the Fates royals are pretty popular, and there's Tharja, Black Knight, Robin, etc. The lords are mostly the ones getting brave alts right now because they're just the MOST popular.

Elincia is an important character but never "the main character".  There are non MCs that are popular true, but being an MC is a huge advantage.  It is really hard to be unpopular.  

Micaiah is half laguz, half beorc.  So yeah she's not human.  Would you consider a half vampire, half human...human?  Would you consider a centaur human?  Anyways as Icedragon alluded to it is a great way to show without offending any real life group the difficulties of being biracial.  Not fitting in with either group and sometimes shunned by both.  An outsider.  

28 minutes ago, Lewyn said:

Micaiah is half laguz, half beorc.  So yeah she's not human.  Would you consider a half vampire, half human...human?  Would you consider a centaur human?  Anyways as Icedragon alluded to it is a great way to show without offending any real life group the difficulties of being biracial.  Not fitting in with either group and sometimes shunned by both.  An outsider.  

If the half-vampire/half-human was still mostly human in the end, yes. A Branded is still mainly human, they can't transform or live as long as the laguz. They really have no laguz characteristics and yet have a lot of beorc ones. I consider them humans with laguz in their bloodline.

2 hours ago, Diovani Bressan said:

Since now Round 3 has 4 bosses instead of all 6, I wonder what will be the 4 bosses... I believe we will have 2 of each round, but who?

For sure the most annoying. Eirika, Ike, who else? 

It only just occurred to me yesterday why Freikugel has its effect in Heroes. Instead of taking any inspiration from Three Houses, they opted to just make her Prf reflect Hilda's personality lol. When no one else is up for the task, she shows her serious side, but otherwise she'd rather stay behind and cheer others on.

Fielding my S!Micaiah with Sothe, and I think I'll make him my colorless merge project. Hexblade is amazing, he can nuke non-countering dragons easily. If I can, I'm going to try giving him Desperation or Watersweep to experiment with. Point is, him, S!Micaiah, OG!Micaiah and Dimitri are nuking the TT. Probably helps that Micaiah and Dimitri are +6 and S!Miccy is +2.

54 minutes ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

It only just occurred to me yesterday why Freikugel has its effect in Heroes. Instead of taking any inspiration from Three Houses, they opted to just make her Prf reflect Hilda's personality lol. When no one else is up for the task, she shows her serious side, but otherwise she'd rather stay behind and cheer others on.

It gets better when you consider the Defence Opening synergy; as in, Hilda wants extra-hard for someone else to have the buff.

Hilda's got the single most characterful skillset in the game.

2 hours ago, Anacybele said:

If the half-vampire/half-human was still mostly human in the end, yes. A Branded is still mainly human, they can't transform or live as long as the laguz. They really have no laguz characteristics and yet have a lot of beorc ones. I consider them humans with laguz in their bloodline.

Branded do live an extended life in comparisons to Beorcs though.

Still, the given centaur example is awful. A centaur is a centaur, not a "half human". You didn't get to one by breeding a horse and a human. 

A better question to ask, if we want to make parallels with the manner by which we see races in the real world, is if we'd consider someone black if born of a black parent and a white parent but yet showing no physical attributes of them even having a black parent. Like the red-head twins half in this picture:

twins-non-identical-main.jpg

Edited by Vince777

2 minutes ago, Vince777 said:

Branded do live an extended life in comparisons to Beorcs though.

Still, the given centaur example is awful. A centaur is a centaur, not a "half human". You didn't get to one by breeding a horse and a human. 

A better question to ask, if we want to make parallels with the manner by which we see races in the real world, is if we'd consider someone black if born of a black parent and a white parent but yet showing no physical attributes of them even having a black parent. Like the red-head in this picture:

twins-non-identical-main.jpg

Yeah centaur wasn't a good example sorry about that.  Black/white hybrids are considered mulattos.  They are both black and white, half and half.  

The point with Micaiah is unlike other lords, she is absolutely despised and faces heavy prejudice merely cause of the blood in her veins, for being a branded.  We see through the majestic Tellius saga the differences and conflicts between beorc and laguz various stereotypes and prejudices and atrocities committed.  We then see the branded are worse off than either being rejected by these two main groups.  We get to experience this as the main character rather than some side character as is often the case in other FE games.  This makes her one of the most memorable and distinct of lords.  

20 minutes ago, Lewyn said:

Yeah centaur wasn't a good example sorry about that.  Black/white hybrids are considered mulattos.  They are both black and white, half and half.  

Agreed but they generally have physical attributes of both parents.

What if they didn't, like in my example? Would anyone consider her mulatto?

The Branded retain very little from their laguz lineage. 

Edited by Vince777

1 hour ago, Lewyn said:

The point with Micaiah is unlike other lords, she is absolutely despised and faces heavy prejudice merely cause of the blood in her veins, for being a branded. 

She's not despised at all, what are you talking about? The Daein people LOVE her and for little more than her hair color and some fortune telling. That's one of the things that makes her at least somewhat of a Mary Sue to me. Her hair color is apparently unheard of too, and she has powers no one else has, not even other Branded. Oh, and the laguz who are supposed to hate her as soon as they sense she's a Branded, do not, they like her. Vika is just jumpy for whatever reason, but is still nice to her, and the others just ignore it. Muarim is the only one that explains why he is okay with Micaiah's being Branded. So this hatred Micaiah gets for being a Branded doesn't exist. She does hide it from most, but yeah.

This all just rubbed me the wrong way after we got Ike, who started out as a nobody that people didn't know. He earned all the respect he ever got from anyone. He has no special powers or lineage (Greil having been General Gawain isn't the most common kind of lineage, but it's not nearly as special as Micaiah being the true apostle and stuff). Not anything like that. Then Micaiah comes along and seems like she hardly had to do anything to be loved and adored by people. 😕

Daein people don't suspect Micaiah to be branded though. It is something she feels needs to be conceiled so much that she wouldn't even reveal it to her closest friends. I don't think Sothe even knows and that's the person closest to her. 

If the Daein people had been aware she was branded, they would probably have treated her very differently. 

They must be aware of it post-war though, but she had saved the world and Daein by that point. 

1 hour ago, Vince777 said:

Daein people don't suspect Micaiah to be branded though. It is something she feels needs to be conceiled so much that she wouldn't even reveal it to her closest friends. I don't think Sothe even knows and that's the person closest to her. 

If the Daein people had been aware she was branded, they would probably have treated her very differently. 

They must be aware of it post-war though, but she had saved the world and Daein by that point. 

Exactly- she lived in fear that people would find out, and rightfully so- look at how Soren was treated.  That's a very big deal, and pretty sympathetic.  I never saw Micaiah as a Mary Sue, considering all she had to endure and the fact her decisions weren't perfect or seen that way.  Her people adored her, yes, but she had good reason to fear they wouldn't if they knew the truth.  And the rest of the world strongly resented her as Daein's champion during the Begnion-laguz war.

I'm also not sure that the Daein people necessarily knew she was branded after the war.  The army that fought Ashera knew, sure, but unless they purposefully spread it or Micaiah announced it herself, that doesn't mean her people found it.  My headcannon has her revealing it after she's ushered in several years of peace, but still at great risk to herself.

I'm pretty sure Sothe knows about Micaiah's brand, as at one point he mentions there's no secrets between them. Everyone else is up in the air, though. I believe the only one that finds out early on is Muarim. I remember Pelleas seeing Micaiah's brand and believing it was a mark of the dark arts (like the one he has).

It's very possible other laguz sense that Micaiah has the brand, though (like Vika), so it's probably safe to assume Volug, Rafiel and Nailah know about it as well.

She's not despised at all, what are you talking about? The Daein people LOVE her and for little more than her hair color and some fortune telling.

Leading a revolution and freeing Daein from tyranny don’t count?

Her hair color is apparently unheard of too, and she has powers no one else has, not even other Branded.

Her powers are weaker versions of the Herons, which are unique among Laguz.

15 minutes ago, Baldrick said:

Leading a revolution and freeing Daein from tyranny don’t count?

That was obviously later. Daein already loved her at the beginning of the game before she did those things.

23 minutes ago, Jave said:

I'm pretty sure Sothe knows about Micaiah's brand, as at one point he mentions there's no secrets between them. Everyone else is up in the air, though. I believe the only one that finds out early on is Muarim. I remember Pelleas seeing Micaiah's brand and believing it was a mark of the dark arts (like the one he has).

It's very possible other laguz sense that Micaiah has the brand, though (like Vika), so it's probably safe to assume Volug, Rafiel and Nailah know about it as well.

I think Sothe learn about it after she returned to Daein; the time Micaiah leave Sothe was precisely because for the potential of Sothe end up abandoning her because of Laguz/Branded hatred, and decided to avoid the burden for both of them.

Edited by Troykv

1 minute ago, Anacybele said:

That was obviously later. Daein already loved her at the beginning of the game before she did those things.

The Dawn Brigade was already well known at the beginning of the game, they had been fighting Begnion for some time.

I don't really care if Micaiah is a Mary Sue or not anymore. No FE protagonist can be more Mary Sueish than Corrin. Even Robin is more of a Mary Sue than Micaiah. And even though I haven't actually played Three Houses, what I've heard of Byleth seems rather borderline, too. Compared to all of these, Micaiah is pretty tame.

2 minutes ago, Baldrick said:

The Dawn Brigade was already well known at the beginning of the game, they had been fighting Begnion for some time.

Sure, but the Daeins still didn't praise the rest of the group the way they praised Micaiah.

2 minutes ago, Sunwoo said:

I don't really care if Micaiah is a Mary Sue or not anymore. No FE protagonist can be more Mary Sueish than Corrin. Even Robin is more of a Mary Sue than Micaiah. And even though I haven't actually played Three Houses, what I've heard of Byleth seems rather borderline, too. Compared to all of these, Micaiah is pretty tame.

I do agree Corrin is worse. Byleth...yeah, I do kinda see how some would say he/she has Sue traits. But having a trait or two doesn't mean you're a full blown Sue. Micaiah may technically not even be a full blown Sue either. She's just too close to being one imo. Byleth didn't seem to go as close to me. He/she is praised by his/her students, but it doesn't happen until he/she's already started teaching them. And some don't like him/her at first, like Sylvain. Sylvain is downright jealous/envious because Byleth grew up not needing to care about his/her crest and he feels like his crest defines his life and all. I also felt that Byleth got some nice character development, and I didn't see much of this for Micaiah.