Fire Emblem Heroes General Discussion and Links

eclipse

2 hours ago, BoaFerox said:

I got the maximum 5 orbs from Allegiance Battles for the first time this week as well. After getting Leif for free as my first Pair Up Legendary that whole mode became really easy, and I'm not sure how to feel about it. I'm happy to finally get all the rewards I can out of it, but it sort of exposes a very "pay to win" heavy aspect of the game. 

Do you feel that you cannot enjoy Heroes unless you reach the highest rank? The MO of gacha is to make you feel that way to manipulate you into spending orbs.

• Replies 77k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vaximillian

• Anacybele

• Ice Dragon

• Othin

4 hours ago, Baldrick said:

Do you feel that you cannot enjoy Heroes unless you reach the highest rank? The MO of gacha is to make you feel that way to manipulate you into spending orbs.

Its kinda funny in Heroes too since the full level reward was never really all that good lol

5 hours ago, Baldrick said:

No, not at all, is that what it sounded like? I do try to get as many rewards as I can of course, but going for the very highest rank every week would be too much of a chore. I usually just do AR enough to stay in tier 21 unless it's a week I want to try a bit harder for fun, and in Arena I dip between tier 21 and 20 each week. Heroes is still enjoyable because the rewards are quite good on the lower ranks as well, so playing still feels worthwhile and doesn't take too much effort.

What I meant with my post was that getting the highest rewards in Allegiance Battles is very easy if you have a Pair Up Legendary, and because I didn't have one until now I didn't understand just how much of a difference they made. I still don't reach the highest rank there exactly (and don't feel the need to), but the 950 score treshold for the highest reward is now easily reachable, while it was almost impossible previously. But I don't feel like I've been manipulated into spending orbs because of this, in fact the reason I even have a Pair Up Legendary now is because I got Leif as my free summon on his debut banner.

1 hour ago, BoaFerox said:

No, not at all, is that what it sounded like? I do try to get as many rewards as I can of course, but going for the very highest rank every week would be too much of a chore. I usually just do AR enough to stay in tier 21 unless it's a week I want to try a bit harder for fun, and in Arena I dip between tier 21 and 20 each week. Heroes is still enjoyable because the rewards are quite good on the lower ranks as well, so playing still feels worthwhile and doesn't take too much effort.

I think that's a good attitude; too many people get caught up in the artificial sense of competition. The term "pay to win" implies that you lose if you don't reach the highest rank, which isn't true. In this kind of game, you lose if you decide that you lost.

1 hour ago, BoaFerox said:

What I meant with my post was that getting the highest rewards in Allegiance Battles is very easy if you have a Pair Up Legendary, and because I didn't have one until now I didn't understand just how much of a difference they made. I still don't reach the highest rank there exactly (and don't feel the need to), but the 950 score treshold for the highest reward is now easily reachable, while it was almost impossible previously. But I don't feel like I've been manipulated into spending orbs because of this, in fact the reason I even have a Pair Up Legendary now is because I got Leif as my free summon on his debut banner.

I think a better way to phrase my question would be, does it bother you that a player has an easier time getting better rewards if they have a Pair Up Legendary?

The rewards for teaching high ranks are not that amazing. In my opinion, it's not worthy spending money for it or even try hard or spend time to reach higher tiers.

In Arena, I am happy being in Tier 20-21 every week. AA is the one that I reach Top 1k without difficulties, but even then I don't have a problem by getting Top 3k. TTs I stop after reaching 50k. AB, being above 900 is enough for me... AR, I am happy to just keep my spot in Tier 21+ every week.

+1 orb or +5 Grails than I usually get will not make me try harder or summon more.

12 hours ago, BoaFerox said:

I got the maximum 5 orbs from Allegiance Battles for the first time this week as well. After getting Leif for free as my first Pair Up Legendary that whole mode became really easy, and I'm not sure how to feel about it. I'm happy to finally get all the rewards I can out of it, but it sort of exposes a very "pay to win" heavy aspect of the game. The only thing keeping me from performing well all these months was not having a member of this very specific group of units, and unlike with the Mythic Heroes we never got one for free. I guess since I never had a Pair Up Legendary I didn't understand quite how much it mattered, but you having one of them or not is literally the only thing that makes a difference in Allegiance Battles.

yah
Pair Up for AB
Legendaries for Arena 
Mythics for  AR
which means new game mode will have something down the pipe LOL 

also congrats on your achievement! 🙂 

in regards to the discussion that spawned this- For me, it's just wanting to constantly do better.This time last year,  I could barely do hard mode, and now, I can do some abyssals by myself. It took me a very long while (and i had pair ups)to do well in AB mode, mostly because i didn't truly understand the whole mechanic (but i did decent even when I didn't "use" my pair up person). There are weeks where i can't do better than top 20K in AA, and that's fine with me because I did my best, as most of you know I did tier 21 (with some hand holding) for the first time a few weeks ago (But I was able to get to tier 20 and maintain 20 by myself etc).  for me it's just accomplishments for me. 

I know we just had a big discussion about how paying is bad vs. not bad etc, and I'll just say again what I said then(or maybe I didn't, and I'll say it now) I don't begrudge anyone spending their money on what they want to spend it on. I've been F2P, I've been what i suppose we call a minnow and a dolphin, I don't spend like gobsmacks amount of money every banner etc, but i do budget and if there is something i want i'll put some money aside for it and my reasoning is, for the most part - this is a game i play every day. I truly enjoy it.

There are some aspects I hate. (ie: Rokkr Seiges coming up) or AR etc. but that hate just makes me want to try to get better. Heroes really got me deeper in wanting toplay Fire Emblem as a franchise.  I figure the money they pull in from heroes. A: keeps the game alive, which is a good thing in my books B: and I feel it shows as well that Fire Emblem (as a franchise) is worth investing in and it might spark more interesting in bringing in other franchises. But i do remember the counters and the reasons why people don't like to and that is fine - i am just putting in my 2 pennies worth of sense. 

I don't feel to advance i have to pay because a lot of my accomplishments i achieved came from F2P units and and rando-5* pulls and some luck. but I also don't mind putting in some money because i'd like to have fodder (rare or otherwise) or the unit, or even just giving 20 dollars (which would have been cookies/doughtnuts/chocolate bars) to the monthly pack for a "you know, thanks for the game, thanks for a good chunk of the free stuff, even though it could be better, it could be a lot worse." (as i always leave feedback as well, both good, thankful, critical, and general advice.  (it's the same reason why if a game i buy has DLC - i'll throw in a few extra bucks for that. it might not make sense to everyone but it is what makes sense to me. it truly is an each their own. but i'll never begrudge people for doing it. (just like i'll never begrudge people for not doing it) 

I'm just an non grudgeful girl lol

8 minutes ago, daisy jane said:

There are some aspects I hate. (ie: Rokkr Seiges coming up) or AR etc.

Røkkr Sieges is annoying in that you have to find that one strategy/team composition you are comfortable and good at using, but once you nailed it down, the mode itself is pretty easy and stops being challenging.

Aether Raids can be stress inducing though, especially when climbing or ranking. But as long as you set your goals to just maintenance, it is actually not that bad. I did horrible this week, but I managed to climb back up to Tier 21 and I am pretty confident in maintaining Tier 21.

Edited by XRay

Just now, XRay said:

Røkkr Sieges is annoying in that you have to find that one strategy/team composition you are comfortable and good at using, but once you nailed it down, the mode itself is pretty easy and stops being challenging.

Aether Raids can be stress inducing though, especially when climbing or ranking. But as long as you set your goals to just maintenance, it is actually not that bad.

pretty much. I will admit. I might be the only person on this board who adores Grand Conquest. It's super fun for me. 
I've gotten a handle on RS (i have no qualms admitting i threw a massive tantrum the first time because i couldn't figure it out and i thought i wouldn't be getting any rewards. but after the tantrum lol i got some help and now it's fine - and i don't care about about the feather rankings, it's just an in/out, and done). 

AR is stress inducing when you don't want to demote. LOL. (astra weeks are horrendous for me, but i am in the process of building some new teams compositions so that should be helpful).

2 minutes ago, daisy jane said:

I've gotten a handle on RS (i have no qualms admitting i threw a massive tantrum the first time because i couldn't figure it out and i thought i wouldn't be getting any rewards. but after the tantrum lol i got some help and now it's fine - and i don't care about about the feather rankings, it's just an in/out, and done). 

Yeah, I do not care about the ranking rewards too much. As long as I get the rewards for full participation, then I am good. 

4 minutes ago, daisy jane said:

AR is stress inducing when you don't want to demote. LOL. (astra weeks are horrendous for me, but i am in the process of building some new teams compositions so that should be helpful).

Yeah, Aether Raids teams take time to build up. I think it might take me at least another year or two before I feel like I have a full compliment of satisfactory teams. Right now, I am just mostly relying on my main team to maintain my Tier.

It took me like well over a year to build my Arena Assault teams, and I am still not done (I just need them to release one good bow user before giving my Firesweep Bow to them).

3 hours ago, Baldrick said:

I think a better way to phrase my question would be, does it bother you that a player has an easier time getting better rewards if they have a Pair Up Legendary?

Not really, getting an advantage for using certain units is a feature in a lot of modes in this game. What I didn't like so much about Pair Up Legendaries in Allegiance Battles is how much of a difference they made; it felt more like the mode just tested if I had one of them or not instead of testing my skills. In other modes where you get perks for using certain units there is always a free alternative, the Askr trio are bonus units and it's possible to get to tier 21 in AR using the free Eir. Reaching 950 points in Allegiance Battles on the other hand was actually impossible without a Pair Up Hero. I suppose it would have become easy after a while because of the weird Synergy feature, but the difference that the Pair Up Heroes make is immense, and they never gave one out for free. This is all more general complaints about Allegiance Battles as a mode though (a lot of its mechanics feel arbituary and strangely implemented), and not so much about the game rewarding you for pulling certain units.

1 hour ago, XRay said:

Aether Raids can be stress inducing though, especially when climbing or ranking. But as long as you set your goals to just maintenance, it is actually not that bad. I did horrible this week, but I managed to climb back up to Tier 21 and I am pretty confident in maintaining Tier 21.

Oh you demoted from tier 21? How was it to promote again? I remember my first (and only) promotion to tier 21 was kind of hard. Did it become a bit easier? 

1 hour ago, mampfoid said:

Oh you demoted from tier 21? How was it to promote again? I remember my first (and only) promotion to tier 21 was kind of hard. Did it become a bit easier? 

I did not demote, but my score did drop to Tier 20 by a lot due to defense losses.

Hrmmm I want to talk about the build I put together for my Dancing Berkut, but I'm no good at making unit focuses on the Heroes Analysis threads... I'm not trying to make a Wikipedia article, after all. =_=; Why can't we just post what we made, the benefits of the build, and let other people on the same unit-focused topic post what they did? I just don't know where to share my Dancing Berkut as a result. Here?

21 minutes ago, Mercakete said:

Hrmmm I want to talk about the build I put together for my Dancing Berkut, but I'm no good at making unit focuses on the Heroes Analysis threads... I'm not trying to make a Wikipedia article, after all. =_=; Why can't we just post what we made, the benefits of the build, and let other people on the same unit-focused topic post what they did? I just don't know where to share my Dancing Berkut as a result. Here?

I just made the thread and will finish the Wikipedia part, you can post about your Berkut build there if you wish.

1 hour ago, XRay said:

I just made the thread and will finish the Wikipedia part, you can post about your Berkut build there if you wish.

8D Thank you so much! That was so kind of you!

2 hours ago, XRay said:

I did not demote, but my score did drop to Tier 20 by a lot due to defense losses.

Good to hear! Yeah, defense didn't work for me either until last week. But regaining what you lost on defense is much easier to promote again from tier 20. 

I've started being fairly serious about Aether Raids again as of the change to allow double score matches, since it makes it way less of a hassle. I've managed to pick up a few more gold thrones in the past few months as a result, since I can score pretty well during Astra weeks due to my extra Naga.

27 minutes ago, Diovani Bressan said:

Hey all!

Apparently, these are the Rokkr Bosses this time:

Hide contents

image.png.6fd7330eaf4decef15190490f58da460.png

Remember, they do not have their Prf weapons, so not Veronica debuffing your units every single time. Also, Michalis has Iote Shield.

Spoiler

Seems nice, no funky movement skills and no bow units to mess with the Whitewings spam. Veronica might be the most troublesome due to her movement, but she should be trappable at least. Two dragons means Naga might be very useful as well.

4 minutes ago, BoaFerox said:
  Hide contents

Seems nice, no funky movement skills and no bow units to mess with the Whitewings spam. Veronica might be the most troublesome due to her movement, but she should be trappable at least. Two dragons means Naga might be very useful as well.

Spoiler

Threaten DEF on Michalis is the most annoying thing and perhaps Veronica being a ranged Cav. At least she doesn't come with her prf. 

14 hours ago, BoaFerox said:
  Hide contents

Spoiler

Since she's a ranged cav, the two herons + brave lyn strat on that forest map also works to trap. Tho Michalis still has Iote Shield? Dang, at least I know to try  for the axe rokker accessory on Minerva instead.

Seeing a guy pull 4 Julias on the current revival banner gave me hope for Lyn but he had 267 orbs to start with and I'll only have a little over 100 the day after tomorrow when her banner drops. I'm anxious. I hoped I would have more orbs by now but I'd probably spent around 50 or so since I decided to start saving.

Then again... V!Ike, P!Felicia, Veronica, Ross, Gerik, F!Nino and Ewan... can't say I regret spending those orbs.

9 minutes ago, Zeo said:

Seeing a guy pull 4 Julias on the current revival banner gave me hope for Lyn but he had 267 orbs to start with and I'll only have a little over 100 the day after tomorrow when her banner drops. I'm anxious. I hoped I would have more orbs by now but I'd probably spent around 50 or so since I decided to start saving.

Then again... V!Ike, P!Felicia, Veronica, Ross, Gerik, F!Nino and Ewan... can't say I regret spending those orbs.

that's pretty darn awesome i think. 
I do hope you get some Lyns 🙂 

2 hours ago, daisy jane said:

that's pretty darn awesome i think. 
I do hope you get some Lyns 🙂 

Same, I have to admit though the temptation is real... If the DC Banner is what people say it is then...

DC Banner

• M!Byleth - Fantastic sword unit, shuts down the world and pulling one means every one after is free DC fodder.
  • Nagi - Unbelievably amazing unit who I am interested in and want.
  • Nailah - B!Ike wants DC/Null-C for my Astra team in AR. It's literally an active goal.

Mythic Banner

• Lif - I am interested even if I don't need him.
  • Sothis - LYN WANTS TIME'S PULSE, ROSS WANTS TIME'S PULSE.
  • L!Marth - Inigo still wants Infantry Flash for Matthew.
  • L!Lyn still one of my most wanted units that I still don't have.

Then I don't even know what's coming in the New Heroes banner (it could be more serious favorites) or the TT/VG banner.

There is rarely such high level temptation in a single month and usually I could save easily if I actually tried to. It's unprecedented this month, especially considering I thought November would be a quiet month. Keep in mind this is after I passed on the Hilda/Mareeta banner as I wanted both of those units.