• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vaximillian

• Anacybele

• Ice Dragon

• Othin

15 minutes ago, Othin said:

I've found them common enough to really screw things up. My Corrin and Tana are generally helpless against them, and I end up needing to clear space for my dancers to do the fighting.

What about Brave Bow archers? I forgot to mention them earlier but they are a good option too to take out bosses with high Res and they are much less dependent on buffs. Klein is pretty cheap and he rivals the best archers. Klein's 31/33 totals 64 offensive stat spread, but Argent Bow [Spd] got Atk+1 and Spd+5 to boost that up to 70 offensive stat spread. BB!Cordelia got 35/35, so Klein is right on par with her. ASS!Nephenee got 71, but if you pimp Klein out with Flowers, then he has a stat advantage over her.

2 minutes ago, XRay said:

What about Brave Bow archers? I forgot to mention them earlier but they are a good option too to take out bosses with high Res and they are much less dependent on buffs. Klein is pretty cheap and he rivals the best archers. Klein's 31/33 totals 64 offensive stat spread, but Argent Bow [Spd] got Atk+1 and Spd+5 to boost that up to 70 offensive stat spread. BB!Cordelia got 35/35, so Klein is right on par with her. ASS!Nephenee got 71, but if you pimp Klein out with Flowers, then he has a stat advantage over her.

I've had some success with Legendary Leif, but there's some physical tanks he just can't hit hard enough to break through.

10 minutes ago, XRay said:

So, from someone that exclusively uses a Brave Bow archer for damn near everything. . .your goal isn't to quad.  It's to murder the enemy in two hits.  Quadding means that you failed the first part.

Leon's still the best at this, in terms of ease-of-building and stat spread.  With +Atk, he'll hit harder than Jamke.  Peony with Atk Tactic will give the best bonuses - if done right, that's +11 before other Drive Atk kicks in.

32 minutes ago, Othin said:

I've had some success with Legendary Leif, but there's some physical tanks he just can't hit hard enough to break through.

Not every nuke can do everything, especially if you only give them one setup. Even Celica had some trouble with COL!Julia, but as a whole, I find Player Phase teams to have a pretty easy time adapting to the challenges Abyssal maps provide. Often times all it takes is either switching a Special (this is generally sufficient in the vast majority of cases), run a Chill on one of the Dancers/Singers, run a different Dancer/Singer, or switch a nuke as the last resort.

For COL!Julia, it did took me a bit longer time to figure out since I insisted on using Celica, but all I had to do was to have PA!Azura give COL!Julia a good wack and make sure Celica have a charged Luna in time.

22 minutes ago, eclipse said:

So, from someone that exclusively uses a Brave Bow archer for damn near everything. . .your goal isn't to quad.  It's to murder the enemy in two hits.  Quadding means that you failed the first part.

Leon's still the best at this, in terms of ease-of-building and stat spread.  With +Atk, he'll hit harder than Jamke.  Peony with Atk Tactic will give the best bonuses - if done right, that's +11 before other Drive Atk kicks in.

Quadding gives the nuke a reliable source of Special damage from Luna. The nuke will do a bit less damage per hit, but the nuke will also be doing a lot more hits to offset that.

Edited by XRay

2 minutes ago, XRay said:

Quadding gives the nuke a reliable source of Special damage from Luna. The nuke will do a bit less damage per hit, but the nuke will also be doing a lot more hits to offset that.

The intersect of "doesn't die in two hits" and "things that I can't quad even though Leon's speed is meh" is pretty small.  The extra oomph guarantees those kills.

Again, this is literally what I do for the harder stages.  Are you theorycrafting, or have you applied this?

1 minute ago, eclipse said:

The intersect of "doesn't die in two hits" and "things that I can't quad even though Leon's speed is meh" is pretty small.  The extra oomph guarantees those kills.

Again, this is literally what I do for the harder stages.  Are you theorycrafting, or have you applied this?

Before I used Celica with 3 Dancers/Singers to clear Abyssal, I used a flier team of NS!F!Corrin, ASS!Takumi, HNY!Azura, and BB!Ninian to do that instead. I have not used ASS!Takumi to be the solo nuke, but anything he attacks did explode.

Can't really say I'm pleased that their idea of making PvE modes harder is just stat inflation. Isn't stat inflation the reason why people hated Relay Defense? Oh well, as long I can keep nuking things with FH!Delthea and NY!Anna maybe it won't be as noticeable to me.

Just now, XRay said:

Before I used Celica with 3 Dancers/Singers to clear Abyssal, I used a flier team of NS!F!Corrin, ASS!Takumi, HNY!Azura, and BB!Ninian to do that instead. I have not used ASS!Takumi to be the solo nuke, but anything he attacks did explode.

So you're theorycrafting.  My team is a BB archer and three dancers.  Best part?  It's not complete, because I'm not particularly lucky with the fodder I'd need for it to truly shine (my dream skill set would be DB4, Special Spiral, Threaten Atk/Def, and Swift Sparrow).  I've managed to hit through Chrom's Lull Atk/Def nonsense and ORKO him.

39 minutes ago, NSSKG151 said:

Can't really say I'm pleased that their idea of making PvE modes harder is just stat inflation. Isn't stat inflation the reason why people hated Relay Defense? Oh well, as long I can keep nuking things with FH!Delthea and NY!Anna maybe it won't be as noticeable to me.

The issue with Relay Defense was that enemies had something like the equivalent of merge +30. On top of that, you could not use your best team to handle all the waves, so unless you heavily invested into multiple Enemy Phase teams or run the right Player Phase teams, it is extremely difficult to complete the highest Abyssal.

34 minutes ago, eclipse said:

So you're theorycrafting.  My team is a BB archer and three dancers.  Best part?  It's not complete, because I'm not particularly lucky with the fodder I'd need for it to truly shine (my dream skill set would be DB4, Special Spiral, Threaten Atk/Def, and Swift Sparrow).  I've managed to hit through Chrom's Lull Atk/Def nonsense and ORKO him.

I guess? But quadding is still a legitimate form of nuking. If Luna does not work, maybe switch to Growing Wind or Blazing Wind and/or have the Dancer/Singer give the enemy a good old wack before the nuke blasts them. And if the solo nuke really does not work, there is nothing stopping a Player Phase player from running two nukes, and with two nukes, there is much less emphasis on finding the right skill set (you just have the other nuke take care of it), but there is more emphasis on positioning due to lower mobility.

Unlike Enemy Phase teams where it might be difficult to adjust your tactics and it is definitely not cheap to adjust unit's skills, Player Phase team have a much easier time to adjust tactics on the fly (the game literally tells you whether or not your nuke will die before the battle happens) and much cheaper skill access.

The only advantage I have over other players is just having access to all the Dancers/Singers, but I only use a handful of them for Abyssal. Changing a Special and running a Chill on one of the Dancers/Singers usually is enough to solve most issues for Celica, and I imagine it to be similar for other nukes. In the worst case scenario, I had to use my Dancer/Singer to give a boss a good wack, but that is pretty much it.

Edited by XRay

1 minute ago, XRay said:

I guess? But quadding is still a legitimate form of nuking. If Luna does not work, maybe switch to Growing Wind or Blazing Wind and/or have the Dancer/Singer give the enemy a good old wack before the nuke blasts them. And if the solo nuke really does not work, there is nothing stopping a Player Phase player from running two nukes, and with two nukes, there is much less emphasis on finding the right skill set (you just have the other nuke take care of it), but there is more emphasis on positioning due to lower mobility.

Unlike Enemy Phase teams where it might be difficult to adjust your tactics and it is definitely not cheap to adjust unit's skills, Player Phase team have a much easier time to adjust tactics on the fly (the game literally tells you whether or not your nuke will die before the battle happens) and much cheaper skill access.

If the goal is a dead enemy, you'll want to do it before they have a chance to counter.  If you're relying on quadding, you're giving the enemy an opening to counter.  Your archer may end up having to facetank something anyway, and at most can take one hit - or in Klein's case, zero, because his natural defensive threshold is 60 physical Atk.  That's why your goal is to kill things before they can attack.

Absolute easiest IMO is one tank, one nuke, two dancers.  Bait with the tank, have the nuke take out things your tank can't absorb, and repeat until you've trolled the map.  Single nuke is slightly more complicated, since your dancers might be able to tank a hit at most.  Dual nukes means that I have even more units to babysit.

52 minutes ago, NSSKG151 said:

Stat inflation was part of why Relay Defense was disliked, but that wouldn't have killed the mode on its own. The problem was that there was also no benefit to killing enemy units (since it took extremely specialized team compositions to actually keep up with enemy reinforcements), meaning players resorted to just forcing traffic jams to prevent enemies from attacking or moving and effectively ignore enemy stats.

2 minutes ago, eclipse said:

If the goal is a dead enemy, you'll want to do it before they have a chance to counter.  If you're relying on quadding, you're giving the enemy an opening to counter.  Your archer may end up having to facetank something anyway, and at most can take one hit - or in Klein's case, zero, because his natural defensive threshold is 60 physical Atk.  That's why your goal is to kill things before they can attack.

Absolute easiest IMO is one tank, one nuke, two dancers.  Bait with the tank, have the nuke take out things your tank can't absorb, and repeat until you've trolled the map.  Single nuke is slightly more complicated, since your dancers might be able to tank a hit at most.  Dual nukes means that I have even more units to babysit.

Getting into Desperation range is not always easy, but it is doable. I was able to get ASS!Takumi into Desperation range consistently back then, and that is with him running Life and Death at +1 merge.

As a Player Phase player, I find Enemy Phase units to be more difficult to use and require more babying. A nuke with three Dancers/Singers lets you zoom around the map. Two nukes and two Dancers/Singers gives up that mobility for the piece of mind that an Abyssal enemy usually does not have the stats nor skill set to tank two different types of nukes targeting two different bulk.

17 hours ago, Anacybele said:

Now I'm just afraid year 1 units are useless in any of these now.

I don't think so. I still used Marth, Nowi, Soren, Saizo, Hawkeye and Lucius pretty often, and they still do a great job.

What Year 1 units you use (outside the obvious ones like Frederick, OG Ike and Elincia)?

Maybe you should invest on different units... try different playstyles and strategies.

2 hours ago, Soul >8] said:

THANK YOU, IS!!!!

oie_transparent(2).png

I never realized how the colors of the Giant Spoon match Libra's color scheme. So, should he be called a Spoony Monk now?

2 hours ago, Diovani Bressan said:

I don't think so. I still used Marth, Nowi, Soren, Saizo, Hawkeye and Lucius pretty often, and they still do a great job.

What Year 1 units you use (outside the obvious ones like Frederick, OG Ike and Elincia)?

Maybe you should invest on different units... try different playstyles and strategies.

I actually haven't used OG Ike much. OG Elincia and both Fredericks though, I do use.

I also use Klein, Hawkeye (though he's more for AR these days), female Robin, and summer Robin. Occasionally male Robin too. I also have 5 stars of OG Lukas, Gordin, Stahl, and Donnel that I wish I could make more use of. I used to have Seth on my main horse team as well, but the red horse there has been replaced a number of times lol (gone from Stahl to Seth to Sigurd to Hrid and it's still Hrid now).

Edited by Anacybele

2 hours ago, Anacybele said:

I actually haven't used OG Ike much. OG Elincia and both Fredericks though, I do use.

I also use Klein, Hawkeye (though he's more for AR these days), female Robin, and summer Robin. Occasionally male Robin too. I also have 5 stars of OG Lukas, Gordin, Stahl, and Donnel that I wish I could make more use of. I used to have Seth on my main horse team as well, but the red horse there has been replaced a number of times lol (gone from Stahl to Seth to Sigurd to Hrid and it's still Hrid now).

Donnel has a very similar stat-line if I remember correctly to Brave Ike, due to the trainee bonus. So, except for Urvan (though it really is a big difference), you can build him just like vanilla B!Ike. I did it and I used it for a long time (one day I should finish +10 merging him, he’s currently +5 I think)

5 minutes ago, Javi Blizz said:

Donnel has a very similar stat-line if I remember correctly to Brave Ike, due to the trainee bonus. So, except for Urvan (though it really is a big difference), you can build him just like vanilla B!Ike. I did it and I used it for a long time (one day I should finish +10 merging him, he’s currently +5 I think)

Thing is, mine is +Atk, -Res to make use of that brave lance he comes with. -Res wouldn't be ideal for an enemy phase build which is what Brave Ike runs.

5 hours ago, Anacybele said:

Lukas if merged is still a really good blue option. Mine is +atk +10 and runs: Daybreak Lance with refine, swap, bonfire, steady breath, QR 3, spur def 3 and SS fierce stance.  He rips through a bunch of stuff for me with that build.  Year one units are still good options but they need investment.  My advice would be pick a year one unit who you really like and look up builds for them and see what you can do with them.  There are several sites with different build ideas which I use for Ideas for units I want to build that are easy to merge.  

11 minutes ago, EricaofRenais said:

Lukas if merged is still a really good blue option. Mine is +atk +10 and runs: Daybreak Lance with refine, swap, bonfire, steady breath, QR 3, spur def 3 and SS fierce stance.  He rips through a bunch of stuff for me with that build.  Year one units are still good options but they need investment.  My advice would be pick a year one unit who you really like and look up builds for them and see what you can do with them.  There are several sites with different build ideas which I use for Ideas for units I want to build that are easy to merge.  

Oh, I run Steady Breath on Lukas as well. That Bonfire in every counterattack is so effective! Mine has Threaten Def on C slot.

46 minutes ago, EricaofRenais said:

Yeah, I've heard of people running builds like that on him, but I haven't had Steady Breath to give him since I merged up all my Brave Ikes. XD