• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vaximillian

• Anacybele

• Ice Dragon

• Othin

11 hours ago, Tybrosion said:

Yeah....except nearly 78% of those characters were 2017 - 2018 releases. In other words, most of Awakening's characters have since been hopelessly outclassed / powercrept and aren't worth anything in FEH's current meta.

So Tharja is useless, and Petrine is meta?

Even if a unit gets powercrept over time, all things being equal, it's better to be released earlier than later. Say a 2017 unit scores 10 points for usability in 2017, 9 points in 2018, 8 points in 2019 etc, while a 2018 unit scores 0 points (they don't exist) in 2017, 10 points in 2018, 9 points in 2019 etc. The 2017 unit will always be ahead.

To have a good sense of perspective, you need to consider the big picture. Unless you think the 2020 meta is the only meta worth considering for whatever reason

7 hours ago, Othin said:

I feel like you're cherry-picking numbers. Tellius has gotten more recent attention, but that's in part because it's been so much further behind on its overall roster, something that's still the case. And there are plenty of other possible dates to count from than the start of 2019.

For reference, I counted the trend of Tellius vs Awakening, going both forwards and backwards. The roster in brackets excludes alts and cases like Black Knight/Zelgius and M/F Morgan.

T Units (Roster)   A Units (Roster)
At Launch       0 (0)		   18 (18)
End of 2017	11 (10)		   36 (18)
End of 2018	20 (13)		   53 (28)
End of 2019	44 (30)		   60 (35)
TODAY		62 (41)		   68 (40)

Added in 2020	18 (11)		     8 (5)
Since 2019	42 (28)		   15 (12)
Since 2018      51 (31)		   32 (22)
Since Launch    62 (41)		   50 (22)
TOTAL		62 (41)		   68 (40)

Lucina looks... almost younger?

Spoiler

https://fehpass.fire-emblem-heroes.com/common/img/chara_img_00069001000012_01.png?time=1604285161477https://fehpass.fire-emblem-heroes.com/common/img/chara_img_00069001000012_02.png?time=1604285161477https://fehpass.fire-emblem-heroes.com/common/img/chara_img_00069001000012_03.png?time=1604285161477https://fehpass.fire-emblem-heroes.com/common/img/chara_img_00069001000012_04.png?time=1604285161477

Not gonna lie, I do like it (unlike some people once again...) and I do think I'll resub for her, but it's a little off-putting how small and younger she looks.

Edited by Xenomata

I like the idea of the art and the colour contrast. I especially like the Eye accentuation in the special. 

I dislikethe execution and the round, bubbly, young look of the art. Lucina is a rather serious woman, so the Dreamy childish innocence seems out of place, very out of place.

Wait ... that style looks like ... is it Himukai?

The art isn't really /bad/ or anything (I actually like Himukai's art), but it does have the same issues as Raigh+Lugh in that it doesn't really /look/ that much like the character. And Lucina looks way younger than she really is. I also don't hate her outfit nearly as much as I did Eirika's (the colors are better), but I still am not digging the fairy look. Will probably continue to give it the side eye unless they give a dude the fairy garb.

Fairy outfits I’m taking it are supposed to represent characters with a longing for the past? I know that Eirika and Lucina both fit the bill of dreaming of how things used to be for them and chasing after that dream.

But yes... Lucina’s concept... VERY good - fairy is awesome. But... she shouldn’t look that small... at all...

People on the FEH reddit are all bringing up how old she looks as well, negatively I might add.

Sigh... I don't even really mind how young she looks now that I'm used to it and have gotten beyond the initial surprise, so now once again I'm like the only person who likes what they did while everyone else doesn't.

22 minutes ago, Xenomata said:

People on the FEH reddit are all bringing up how old she looks as well, negatively I might add.

Sigh... I don't even really mind how young she looks now that I'm used to it and have gotten beyond the initial surprise, so now once again I'm like the only person who likes what they did while everyone else doesn't.

Don't worry, I like it too. Bit surprised at first but the art itself is really good.

"Papa let me play with the fawchion for a while, I just need to be caweful to not get hut" :3

chara_img_00069001000012_01.png?time=160

I didnt know we would get a Resplendent attire for young Lucina!

But honestly, this is so bad! I dont mind the outfit, but the art is a big no.

Edited by Diovani Bressan

I'm ultimately fine with Lucina having the Ljósálfheimr outfit, since the butterfly motif fits her perfectly given her association with them. It's the fact that she's so smol and child-like that gets me. With Fae, it's fine, and probably one of my favorite artworks. But...why Lucina?

Depending on what the artist intended, IMO either her legs are too long, or her torso is too short. Perhaps she's meant to be a hobbit?

Edited by Baldrick

4 hours ago, Sunwoo said:

Wait ... that style looks like ... is it Himukai?

The art isn't really /bad/ or anything (I actually like Himukai's art), but it does have the same issues as Raigh+Lugh in that it doesn't really /look/ that much like the character. And Lucina looks way younger than she really is. I also don't hate her outfit nearly as much as I did Eirika's (the colors are better), but I still am not digging the fairy look. Will probably continue to give it the side eye unless they give a dude the fairy garb.

Screams Himukai to me. Why is it that everything they're making for this game has to be on the more childlike side? Whatever happened to the Rover granny, or dreadlocks Imperial, or something like this?:

Screen-Shot-2020-10-07-at-3-07-34-PM.png

5 hours ago, Michelaar said:

Don't worry, I like it too. Bit surprised at first but the art itself is really good.

Me three. Love the art, and I love the artist in general.

Honestly as a Lucina fan (loved her since the beginning, she is my main in Smash too) it gets tiring to hear that they are "screwing us over". Like, buddy, pal, speak for yourself. Maybe you are being screwed over because you don't have the right taste to appreciate what are clearly well made drawings, but to me and others this resplendent is great.

And there's nothing wrong with having a taste that's different from mine, but there is something wrong with being unneccessarly negative because one alt isn't 100% for you. We already have enough boring, samey Lucinas to make a full team (regular, legendary, brave and "Marth" are barely different and I suspect more people would have cheered if we got Emblian Lucina and she looked exactly like them but black), what's wrong with also being able to make a team of silly Lucinas (resplendent, spring, Duo with Mia and brave as the serious one trapped in the silliness)? Of course it's also possible that you love the silliness, love spring Lucina and the randomness of "Marth" on the beach, wanted a Fairy alt even, but you just dislike this particular art-style which is understandable and it must suck for you.

But imho it's better to take a gamble with the artstyle and risk a loss than to keep things "samey". Not to repeat myself from the ninja banner thread but I would love for resplendent Camilla to be done by this artist, or the Jagen's artist, or regular Dimitri's artist (his Ike is the best Ike because he looks so different and unique, fight me), or Ippei, or Akira, or HACCAN. Someone with an immediatly recognizible style doing a character they wouldn't normally do is really interesting to me, buy I guess not everyone sees it that way.

Still, here's a suggestion for people who are having trouble accepting, or even looking at, the new resplendents. If they look too young to you, just heacanon that they are indeed young. Alm is himself back when he was training with Mycen before Lukas came knocking on his door. Marth and Caeda are from the Prologue of Shadow Dragon. This Lucina is actually the daughter of good timeline Chrom a few years after the end of the game and she is playing pretend with the family heirloom. It can be surprisingly helpful to help your brain justify what you are looking at if you give some reasonable explanation.

2 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Screams Himukai to me. Why is it that everything they're making for this game has to be on the more childlike side? Whatever happened to the Rover granny, or dreadlocks Imperial, or something like this?:

Screen-Shot-2020-10-07-at-3-07-34-PM.png

But you see, this guy has two adventages:

1: he is male

2: he has a beard

As far as proportion goes he is not that different from Lucina, even if the smaller eyes really help in making him look more mature.

For a more fair comparison, post a woman from this artist who isn't supposed to be a grandma, with grey hair and then we can talk. I bet even the best example you can provide could be reasonably mistaken as underage at first glance.

EDIT: In case it's unclear, I'm not talking to anyone here in particular. But in the fandom at large it's depressing how common the sentiment of "this doesn't pander to my specific tastes, it sucks" is.

Edited by GrandeRampel

4 minutes ago, GrandeRampel said:

Me three. Love the art, and I love the artist in general.

Honestly as a Lucina fan (loved her since the beginning, she is my main in Smash too) it gets tiring to hear that they are "screwing us over". Like, buddy, pal, speak for yourself. Maybe you are being screwed over because you don't have the right taste to appreciate what are clearly well made drawings, but to me and others this resplendent is great.

And there's nothing wrong with having a taste that's different from mine, but there is something wrong with being unneccessarly negative because one alt isn't 100% for you. We already have enough boring, samey Lucinas to make a full team (regular, legendary, brave and "Marth" are barely different and I suspect more people would have cheered if we got Emblian Lucina and she looked exactly like them but black), what's wrong with also being able to make a team of silly Lucinas (resplendent, spring, Duo with Mia and brave as the serious one trapped in the silliness)? Of course it's also possible that you love the silliness, love spring Lucina and the randomness of "Marth" on the beach, wanted a Fairy alt even, but you just dislike this particular art-style which is understandable and it must suck for you.

But imho it's better to take a gamble with the artstyle and risk a loss than to keep things "samey". Not to repeat myself from the ninja banner thread but I would love for resplendent Camilla to be done by this artist, or the Jagen's artist, or regular Dimitri's artist (his Ike is the best Ike because he looks so different and unique, fight me), or Ippei, or Akira, or HACCAN. Someone with an immediatly recognizible style doing a character they wouldn't normally do is really interesting to me, buy I guess not everyone sees it that way.

Still, here's a suggestion for people who are having trouble accepting, or even looking at, the new resplendents. If they look too young to you, just heacanon that they are indeed young. Alm is himself back when he was training with Mycen before Lukas came knocking on his door. Marth and Caeda are from the Prologue of Shadow Dragon. This Lucina is actually the daughter of good timeline Chrom a few years after the end of the game and she is playing pretend with the family heirloom. It can be surprisingly helpful to help your brain justify what you are looking at if you give some reasonable explanation.

But you see, this guy has two adventages:

1: he is male

2: he has a beard

As far as proportion goes he is not that different from Lucina, even if the smaller eyes really help in making him look more mature.

For a more fair comparison, post a woman from this artist who isn't supposed to be a grandma, with grey hair and then we can talk. I bet even the best example you can provide could be reasonably mistaken as underage at first glance.

Maybe if it actually looked like how Lucina should or they actually used this for a young Lucina alt. And her looking 10 goes a bit beyond artistic license. This isn't like OG Eliwood where the art is simply bad, it's a bad representation of Lucina. 

34 minutes ago, GrandeRampel said:

Here are four examples of other females they've drawn. Placed in spoilers to save space.:

Spoiler

First, a sword & shield girl, not unlike Great Lord!Lucina:

Screen-Shot-2020-11-10-at-10-18-04-AM.pn

Second, you can't mistake this for "underaged".:

Screen-Shot-2020-11-10-at-10-19-49-AM.pn

Third, classy, ordinary female maturity.:

Screen-Shot-2020-11-10-at-10-22-06-AM.pn

Fourth, female, but somewhat androgynous.:

Screen-Shot-2020-11-10-at-10-22-58-AM.pn

Is this sufficient evidence they can do more than mere children? Need more examples?

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

4 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Here are four examples of other females they've drawn. Placed in spoilers to save space.:

Reveal hidden contents

First, a sword & shield girl, not unlike Great Lord!Lucina:

Screen-Shot-2020-11-10-at-10-18-04-AM.pn

Second, you can't mistake this for "underaged".:

Screen-Shot-2020-11-10-at-10-19-49-AM.pn

Third, classy, ordinary female maturity.:

Screen-Shot-2020-11-10-at-10-22-06-AM.pn

Fourth, female, but somewhat androgynous.:

Screen-Shot-2020-11-10-at-10-22-58-AM.pn

Is this sufficient evidence they can do more than mere children? Need more examples?

The 1st, the 3rd and the 4th examples look like children to me.