• Replies 77k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vaximillian

• Anacybele

• Ice Dragon

• Othin

I usually don't comment on the art of the Resplendent alts. But I have to this time around.

Honestly, they could not have chosen the worse guy for the job. This is just my opinion of course, but I never really like this artist's work or the guy who only draws older units (Jagen, Zephiel, Bantu and more recently, Mila). They simply look too odd and out of place compare to the other artists' work in the game. I like the guy who did Arden, Dorcas because while it is different, it represents the character in a more "what would they look like in our world" approach.

The fairy outfit isn't much of an issue for me since Lucina's symbol always had been butteflies so it's kinda fitting. I just think there's a bit too much teal, but the art just doesn't make it any better.

40 minutes ago, GrandeRampel said:

Still, here's a suggestion for people who are having trouble accepting, or even looking at, the new resplendents. If they look too young to you, just heacanon that they are indeed young. Alm is himself back when he was training with Mycen before Lukas came knocking on his door. Marth and Caeda are from the Prologue of Shadow Dragon. This Lucina is actually the daughter of good timeline Chrom a few years after the end of the game and she is playing pretend with the family heirloom. It can be surprisingly helpful to help your brain justify what you are looking at if you give some reasonable explanation.

Except that illusion fades off pretty quickly when you listen to any of their voice lines. With the exception of Caeda's VA since for some reasons, her voice is way too high pitched but I'm guessing she's trying to improve on her performance on Caeda or they recorded the voice lines while she was there for Young Caeda. The other characters sound exactly like the normal version of their characters except there "Oh, look at this new outfit I'm wearing!" voice lines. And I doubt it will be different for Lucina.

5 minutes ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

Agreed. From all of their art I've seen, I am not impressed. Not impressed at all.

Have them do art for Fae, Tiki, and Nowi. Keep them away from pretty much everyone else.

This artist should do a Duo Hero that has an Adult and a "child", like... Corrin and Kana duo Hero, for example. Then maybe we can see a difference.

2 minutes ago, Nym said:

I usually don't comment on the art of the Resplendent alts. But I have to this time around.

Honestly, they could not have chosen the worse guy for the job. This is just my opinion of course, but I never really like this artist's work or the guy who only draws older units (Jagen, Zephiel, Bantu and more recently, Mila). They simply look too odd and out of place compare to the other artists' work in the game. I like the guy who did Arden, Dorcas because while it is different, it represents the character in a more "what would they look like in our world" approach.

The fairy outfit isn't much of an issue for me since Lucina's symbol always had been butteflies so it's kinda fitting. I just think there's a bit too much teal, but the art just doesn't make it any better.

Except that illusion fades off pretty quickly when you listen to any of their voice lines. With the exception of Caeda's VA since for some reasons, her voice is way too high pitched but I'm guessing she's trying to improve on her performance on Caeda or they recorded the voice lines while she was there for Young Caeda. The other characters sound exactly like the normal version of their characters except there "Oh, look at this new outfit I'm wearing!" voice lines. And I doubt it will be different for Lucina.

Well, she has her new VA I think, but that is Lucina now. 

Okay, the butterfly thing for Lucina was a good call. But...why does her face look so childish? I understand artistically why, but I don't get why they went that way.

27 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Here are four examples of other females they've drawn. Placed in spoilers to save space.:

Hide contents

First, a sword & shield girl, not unlike Great Lord!Lucina:

Screen-Shot-2020-11-10-at-10-18-04-AM.pn

Second, you can't mistake this for "underaged".:

Screen-Shot-2020-11-10-at-10-19-49-AM.pn

Third, classy, ordinary female maturity.:

Screen-Shot-2020-11-10-at-10-22-06-AM.pn

Fourth, female, but somewhat androgynous.:

Screen-Shot-2020-11-10-at-10-22-58-AM.pn

Is this sufficient evidence they can do more than mere children? Need more examples?

I can give you the 2nd and maybe the 3rd but the 4th and especially the 1st don't look any older than resplendent Lucina to me.

53 minutes ago, Arthur97 said:

Maybe if it actually looked like how Lucina should or they actually used this for a young Lucina alt. And her looking 10 goes a bit beyond artistic license. This isn't like OG Eliwood where the art is simply bad, it's a bad representation of Lucina. 

Agree to disagree. You don't seem like the kinda guy who would have disliked a fairy Lucina if say, Tobi made one, or Yura, or someone else, so I already like you. I personally love this chibi artstyle and I would love to see more of it (imagine Hector in this style. Or Jagen. I would love it).

16 minutes ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

Agreed. From all of their art I've seen, I am not impressed. Not impressed at all. 

Have them do art for Fae, Tiki, and Nowi. Keep them away from pretty much everyone else.

Strong disagree. I know that there is such a thing as being better at something, or preferring to do something, but an artist ought to challenge themself. Therefore I declare that I want this artist to do the next Dorothea and the next Sigurd.

11 minutes ago, Nym said:

Good point. I didn't think about it because I always play with no audio. In that case I hope they took a page from Caeda's book because it would indeed be strange to hear Lucina's regular voice coming from fairy Lucina. They should make her sound more like the bunny version at least.

Edited by GrandeRampel

Just now, GrandeRampel said:

I can give you the 2nd and maybe the 3rd but the 4th and especially the 1st don't look any older than resplendent Lucina to me.

Agree to disagree. You don't seem like the kinda guy who would have disliked a fairy Lucina if say, Tobi made one, or Yura, or someone else, so I already like you. I personally love this chibi artstyle and I would love to see more of it (imagine Hector in this style. Or Jagen. I would love it).

Strong disagree. I know that there is such a thing as being better at something, or preferring to do something, but an artist ought to challnenge himself. Therefore I declare that I want this artist to do the next Dorothea and the next Sigurd.

Good point. I didn't think about it because I always play with no audio. In that case I hope they took a page from Caeda's book because it would indeed be strange to hear Lucina's regular voice coming from fairy Lucina. They should make her sound more like the bunny version at least.

If she was an adult and it looked nice, sure. Better than Hel at least, but this...this would have been better if it was an alt. A child Lucina could work...just not when it's supposed to be OG Lucina. 

1 minute ago, GrandeRampel said:

Strong disagree. I know that there is such a thing as being better at something, or preferring to do something, but an artist ought to challnenge himself. Therefore I declare that I want this artist to do the next Dorothea and the next Sigurd.

As someone who has a +10 Sigurd, no thank you. They can take their risks, but they can do so with someone else.

More examples necessary? Fine, just fine!:

Spoiler

Screen-Shot-2020-11-10-at-10-52-04-AM.pnScreen-Shot-2020-11-10-at-10-51-14-AM.pnScreen-Shot-2020-11-10-at-10-49-09-AM.pnScreen-Shot-2020-11-10-at-10-47-47-AM.pnScreen-Shot-2020-11-10-at-10-46-41-AM.pnScreen-Shot-2020-11-10-at-10-44-01-AM.pnScreen-Shot-2020-11-10-at-10-44-35-AM.pn

But what's the point, all your silly opinions are immovable on this petty topic. Y'all gotta get your eyes checked.

And so, knowing that, I do this then merely to entertain myself with a semi-artificial "rage".😛

3 minutes ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

As someone who has a +10 Sigurd, no thank you. They can take their risks, but they can do so with someone else.

As a fan of Tellius’ more realistic art style, I tha k you for the opportunity, however I have to respectfully decline in the name of Tellius and pass the offer on to the players of Sacred Stones.

Edit: And just a question, why are all these images of toddlers being shared here all of a sudden?

Edited by Vicious Sal

4 minutes ago, Vicious Sal said:

As a fan of Tellius’ more realistic art style, I tha k you for the opportunity, however I have to respectfully decline in the name of Tellius and pass the offer on to the players of Sacred Stones.

Edit: And just a question, why are all these images of toddlers being shared here all of a sudden?

As a fan of both Tellius and Sacred Stones, I must respectfully decline and pass the offer on to the players of Fates.

Edited by Fabulously Olivier

2 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

More examples necessary? Fine, just fine!:

Reveal hidden contents

Screen-Shot-2020-11-10-at-10-52-04-AM.pnScreen-Shot-2020-11-10-at-10-51-14-AM.pnScreen-Shot-2020-11-10-at-10-49-09-AM.pnScreen-Shot-2020-11-10-at-10-47-47-AM.pnScreen-Shot-2020-11-10-at-10-46-41-AM.pnScreen-Shot-2020-11-10-at-10-44-01-AM.pnScreen-Shot-2020-11-10-at-10-44-35-AM.pn

But what's the point, all your silly opinions are immovable on this petty topic. Y'all gotta get your eyes checked.

And so, knowing that, I do this then merely to entertain myself with a semi-artificial "rage".😛

You know what, I think you are right. Some of the girls you posted do indeed have better and more adult proportions (which doesn't equal having more skin exposed. Some of the big breasted ones you postes look like young girls with weirdly developed boobs) even if the big eyes definitely do not do any of them any favors. So I will concede that the artist could have definitely made her look a bit older if he wanted too.

But not by much and probably people would have still complained. It's a non-issue anyway since we got what we got, and what we got is not for everyone. And that's fine. I will surely enjoy using this art.

This is the first time that the resplendant Artwork really did hit "Garbage"-Tier. Lucina is totally misrepresented on all degrees and I am not even a Lucina fan. I really hope they keep this Artist away for future resplendent Attires.

1 minute ago, GrandeRampel said:

You know what, I think you are right. Some of the girls you posted do indeed have better and more adult proportions (which doesn't equal having more skin exposed. Some of the big breasted ones you postes look like young girls with weirdly developed boobs) even if the big eyes definitely do not do any of them any favors. So I will concede that the artist could have definitely made her look a bit older if he wanted too.

Point taken, I can see how the Dark Hunter and Hexer have heads that are too big for their bodies using for real adults. See, I'm not wholly unreceptive to criticism myself.😉

Some of the better proportioned ones are Himukai's later creations within the Etrian Odyssey franchise, so perhaps it's something, though not entirely, the result of a style maturation. And that their FEH designs could be considered a regression from that. 

And, I'll drop the matter now. No more bothersome posts on this topic from me. Next time, I'll let an unholy fusion of the Yggdrasil Core, Ur-Devil, Abyssal God, Warped Savior, Star Devourer, and Abyssal Princess do the talking for me.😈

I don't really see why people are making such a fuss. The quality of the art is pretty good. Sure she looks like a toddler but we have baby marth caeda merric so how is this different from them? If her voice lines reflect that she's the toddler lucina that just learned the blade in her dark future after chrom died I think it could be cute.

Edited by Gordin

1 minute ago, Gordin said:

I don't really see why people are making such a fuss. The quality of the art is pretty good. Sure she looks like a toddler but we have baby marth caeda merric so how is this different from them? If her voice lines reflect that she's the toddler lucina that just learned the blade in her dark future after chrom died I think it could be cute.

Because it's not a "Young Lucina" alt, it's a new skin for the original "Regular Lucina".

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Next time, I'll let an unholy fusion of the Yggdrasil Core, Ur-Devil, Abyssal God, Warped Savior, Star Devourer, and Abyssal Princess do the talking for me.😈

Yeah, I’m going to have to respectfully say no thanks to that.

You’ve shown enough for me to also come to the conclusion of not liking this artist’s style at all. No amount of their past art will make the decision to turn Lucina into a hobbit or Raigh / Lugh cosplaying as her remotely acceptable to me, especially when IS is charging a separate fee for this art.

The thing about Resplendent Lucina's art is that if this was a new character option from EOVI it would look perfectly fine, no real issues with it. But if you're trying to say that the character in question is Lucina, that's when I feel there are issues. It resembles Lucina, but feels more like she was inspired by Lucina rather than Lucina herself. I agree that I don't think it suits Lucina very well, but I will defend Himukai's art in a vacuum as still being good. Most of his EO work isn't bad and doesn't look THAT loli. His EO dudes are actually fine. Examples here.

I do have a general issue with the two fairy Resplendent Heroes released so far though, which I'm concerned will persist the more of those they release. The current fairies are two popular female lords who are being shoehorned into being "cute". Eirika's default pose looked like she had moeface, and Lucina gets chibified. It's a disservice to their characters to reduce them to just being cute. The sad thing is that fairies don't have to be limited to being cutesy, they could be sinister or dangerous if you portrayed them well. Like how Tharja could pull off a fairy Resplendent if they went with the angle of her being dangerous and unpredictable.

Besides, they're doing the obvious thing and only releasing female fairies, this makes me wonder if they will even do male fairy outfits or if they'll be treated as a joke for being in a "girly" outfit.

Lucina's Resplendent isn't as bad as Julia's though, those fucking eyes.

Edited by Sunwoo

The art is gr8, sorry not sorry

6 hours ago, Gordin said:

This is not "Baby Lucina", this is normal Lucina in a different outfit. The art style just makes her look young. Not comparable to The Start of it All Banner~

52 minutes ago, Landmaster said:

The art is gr8, sorry not sorry

This is not "Baby Lucina", this is normal Lucina in a different outfit. The art style just makes her look young. Not comparable to The Start of it All Banner~

Maybe it's not comparable...maybe she looks younger. 

1731939699_Face_3(1).png.92485571d411c96e5424329980f73a9c.png6ecb3875d8338a46bc96800532fefd5ad7851b8e_2_500x500.png.140f1bded60f504b8c04294a60d5be83.png

Seriously, just look at them side by side.

Edited by Arthur97