• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vaximillian

• Anacybele

• Ice Dragon

• Othin

1 hour ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

After running the calculator and finding that most of Fedelgard's alleged counters get absolutely crushed by her under neutral conditions, I canceled my FEH pass and I intend to quit playing. This new trend of units with thesis-length skills, the most recent of which is almost unbeatable, is absolutely dire.

I give the game 6 months until it introduces a Vault of Heaven system for basic arenas in an attempt to salvage what is left of its casual scene. 2 years until it enters maintenance mode, optimistically. I hope the money made on this banner is worth it.

Arena is already pretty casual though. Tier 19.5 where I am at is pretty easy, and I score around 730-740. You can deal with 99% of problematic enemies using Firesweep, and units that run Null C-Disrupt are generally easily killed by regular nukes.

If 20.5 is too hard, you can just drop down a Tier to 19.5, and you can use practically anyone with whatever BST you want, cause I use some of the lowest scoring units. If you are in the lower Tiers, I find ranged cav teams to be far more annoying in my opinion.

20 minutes ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

Hint, hint, IS. If you want to make lots more money from me, release FE Warriors 2, adding almost every character over time as dlc. Or even as gacha if you want to be evil about it.

Making Warriors versions of characters seems a lot more expensive than making Heroes ones.

23 minutes ago, XRay said:

Arena is already pretty casual though. Tier 19.5 where I am at is pretty easy, and I score around 730-740. You can deal with 99% of problematic enemies using Firesweep, and units that run Null C-Disrupt are generally easily killed by regular nukes.

If 20.5 is too hard, you can just drop down a Tier to 19.5, and you can use practically anyone with whatever BST you want, cause I use some of the lowest scoring units. If you are in the lower Tiers, I find ranged cav teams to be far more annoying in my opinion.

I have never been a player-phase firesweep guy, and never will be. I don't intend to totally change my playstyle to avoid random guaranteed losses, and if your best answer to power spike is "use units who can't be attacked back," that's not a sign of good game health.

I'm tired of it, and reasonably so. The game was good in 2019 with dual effect weapons, and now it's just an exercise in cheese and units with 10+ effects to take into account at all times. 

1 minute ago, Othin said:

Making Warriors versions of characters seems a lot more expensive than making Heroes ones.

Yes, I'm aware. They're also averse to making good games that I want to play. But hey, you can't power creep people out in a Warriors game. That's the whole point.

Edited by Fabulously Olivier

1 hour ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

I have never been a player-phase firesweep guy, and never will be. I don't intend to totally change my playstyle to avoid random guaranteed losses, and if your best answer to power spike is "use units who can't be attacked back," that's not a sign of good game health.

I have not been a huge fan of enemy phase strategies myself until Aether Raids came along, but sometimes changing your playstyle makes things a lot easier. I rarely even bother with Abyssal maps with player phase now since enemy phase Save tanking is so much faster and easier.

5 minutes ago, XRay said:

I have not been a huge fan of enemy phase strategies myself until Aether Raids came along, but sometimes changing your playstyle makes things a lot easier. I rarely even bother with Abyssal maps with player phase now since enemy phase Save tanking is so much faster and easier.

I have always, always been an enemy phase player in the main games and in FEH. I'll have a glass cannon or two to make PP plays, but my strategy is tanking.

A large part of the reason I hate Fates is how overtly cruel it is to enemy phase players with its bullshit poison-swap ninja hordes and enemies that just one shot you.

4 hours ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

After running the calculator and finding that most of Fedelgard's alleged counters get absolutely crushed by her under neutral conditions, I canceled my FEH pass and I intend to quit playing. This new trend of units with thesis-length skills, the most recent of which is almost unbeatable, is absolutely dire.

They have a tendency to introduce some broken character and then introduce a mechanic designed to counter that a few months later.

I won't be surprised if we suddenly have a glut of Edelgard counters in the next few months. Things like

• More beast-effective weapons (or another skill like Divine Fang). Currently, we only have 5, and all of them are exclusive weapons.
  • More units with percentage damage reduction suppression.
  • More units with healing suppression.
  • A skill that treats beasts as untransformed.
  • A skill that prevents beasts from transforming.
  • An inheritable "Null Special-Disrupt" skill and more weapons with the effect. Currently, we only have 2 (Creator Sword and Ayra's Blade).
  • A unit with a beast-effective weapon and a "Beastsweep" effect like Legendary Marth has for dragons.

And as a side note, there's another Edelgard counter I forgot about: Surtr. Kiting enemies with Sinmara's "Threaten HP" works on pretty much every melee unit with equal or less movement range.

Just now, Ice Dragon said:

They have a tendency to introduce some broken character and then introduce a mechanic designed to counter that a few months later.

I won't be surprised if we suddenly have a glut of Edelgard counters in the next few months. Things like

• More beast-effective weapons (or another skill like Divine Fang). Currently, we only have 5, and all of them are exclusive weapons.
  • More units with percentage damage reduction suppression.
  • More units with healing suppression.
  • An inheritable "Null Special-Disrupt" skill and more weapons with the effect. Currently, we only have 2 (Creator Sword and Ayra's Blade).
  • A unit with a beast-effective weapon and a "Beastsweep" effect like Legendary Marth has for dragons.

And as a side note, there's another Edelgard counter I forgot about: Surtr. Kiting enemies with Sinmara's "Threaten HP" works on pretty much every melee unit with equal or less movement range.

Yeah, problem is, Petrine and her beastslaying prf was one of the units I calculated, given that she's one of my merge projects. And unless someone else baits Edelgard's damage reduction (and survives her), Petrine will get utterly destroyed in the exchange.

For the average player, there is simply too much involved in countering this one single unit, and failing to do so will result in her singlehandedly wiping your team. Not can. Will.

3 minutes ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

Yeah, problem is, Petrine and her beastslaying prf was one of the units I calculated, given that she's one of my merge projects. And unless someone else baits Edelgard's damage reduction (and survives her), Petrine will get utterly destroyed in the exchange.

For the average player, there is simply too much involved in countering this one single unit, and failing to do so will result in her singlehandedly wiping your team. Not can. Will.

Surviving Edelgard's counterattack is as simple as running Windsweep (since she has the second-lowest possible base Spd stat in the game), which is available from Joshua, and with Edelgard already blocking your follow-up, Windsweep has no downside when used against her.

And beast-effective weapons are only just to cover for when someone runs her with Svalinn Shield. If Edelgard doesn't have Svalinn Shield, you can just use armor-effective weapons, which are much easier to get.

2 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Surviving Edelgard's counterattack is as simple as running Windsweep (since she has the second-lowest possible base Spd stat in the game), which is available from Joshua, and with Edelgard already blocking your follow-up, Windsweep has no downside when used against her.

And beast-effective weapons are only just to cover for when someone runs her with Svalinn Shield. If Edelgard doesn't have Svalinn Shield, you can just use armor-effective weapons, which are much easier to get.

I also calculated Oboro and Hana with Null Follow Up. It didn't end well. 

You're not just looking at effective weapons. You're looking at effective weapons on modern, highly merged units with NFU. Just to defeat her.

And it's not like these make her balanced or in any way weaker than the glut of broken armor units released recently. She's still top tier even when you do everything in your power to stop her; she just becomes beatable. That's the thing about counters - they don't actually make things balanced or well designed, they just let you deal with them.

24 minutes ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

I also calculated Oboro and Hana with Null Follow Up. It didn't end well. 

You're not just looking at effective weapons. You're looking at effective weapons on modern, highly merged units with NFU. Just to defeat her.

If you're initiating combat, Null Follow-Up is worthless unless you have a way to stop Edelgard's Bonfire from her counterattack. If Edelgard is initiating combat, you still need a way to stop Edelgard's Bonfire along with enough Def to tank two hits if you can't kill her during the first round of combat.

No one is saying all you need is an effective weapon.

Null Follow-Up is pointless unless you also have a way to stop her Bonfire.

Edited by Ice Dragon

22 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

I didn't realize you could access your main barracks through Manage Groups, but that then begs the question:

Why the fuck does the Move to Reserves option exist at all if Manage Groups does literally everything it can do, but better? Sure, it took Pokémon like 2 decades to fix the same issue, but that's no excuse to be making the exact same dumb mistake.

I think Move to Reserves might have been the base functionality they used to test the reserves feature during development so they just decided to keep it in the official release. But that still doesn't make sense since Move to Reserves is too specific of a utility function to be made into an official menu option unless someone forgot to comment out that block of code prior to release. 

Side note, is it really called Manage Groups in the English version? "Manage Reserves" makes more sense to me unless that's already taken.

@Fabulously Olivier What units did you calculate specifically?

From my own calcs, the thing that really ruins Hegemon is Pulse Smoke: if she initiates combat, she will never get to trigger her murder Special. Even though she never actually dies, she still isn't able to deal enough damage to a sufficiently bulky unit in the two turns she gets to attack.

I think the best unit to use in this case would be Boey: with his Prf tome, TA3, and Sturdy Stance SS Edelgard doesn't do a whole lot of damage when initiating, and because of Pulse Smoke she can't trigger her Special on him, yet he still does a decent amount of damage to her overall, even considering the HP she recovers afterwards. After that, some support from outside sources of damage should hopefully take her down to nothing. For a PP option, Special Refined Clarisse with double Poison Strike would be dealing 27 post-combat damage, and for EP Surtr's Sinmara would inflict 20 damage once control returns to the player.

...unless it's Mystic Boost. That, frankly, makes things even worse.

Edited by Xenomata

6 minutes ago, Xenomata said:

@Fabulously Olivier What units did you calculate specifically?

From my own calcs, the thing that really ruins Hegemon is Pulse Smoke: if she initiates combat, she will never get to trigger her murder Special. Even though she never actually dies, she still isn't able to deal enough damage to a sufficiently bulky unit in the two turns she gets to attack.

I think the best unit to use in this case would be Boey: with his Prf tome, TA3, and Sturdy Stance SS Edelgard doesn't do a whole lot of damage when initiating, and because of Pulse Smoke she can't trigger her Special on him, yet he still does a decent amount of damage to her overall, even considering the HP she recovers afterwards.

...unless it's Mystic Boost. That, frankly, makes things even worse.

The relevant, accessible raven tomes (Boey, Cecilia, Lyon). Of these, Cecilia was the most successful because of her ability to combine TA3 (her prf) with Close Foil. Boey wins if you take TA3. Lyon cannot currently win, as he can't both Close Foil and TA3 (though if they release a TA3 seal, he'll be better off).

Petrine, the only f2p beast slayer. Who was destroyed.

Hana and Oboro, the f2p infantry armor slayers (infantry being key here, because of NFU). Both lost. I suppose Est might work under ideal conditions due to her double attack weapon.

Also, all of the successful counters have one thing in common. They score abysmally poorly. Boey, for example, can't use GDI4 to score well unless they add a TA3 seal.

Edited by Fabulously Olivier

5 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

I always expected that since the beast units were introduced.

Something like a status effect that doesn't allow beast units to transform at start of turn, or a skill revert and/or doesn't allow them to transform when beast is within x spaces of the skill's user.

Since the introduction of 4* seasonals at the start of Year 4, we've gotten 17 seasonal banners with the structure of 1 pair, 2 regular, 1 demote, 1 grail. Out of those:

• 10 had prfs on the pair and one regular
  • 3 had prfs on all five units (both anniversary banners and New Year 2021)
  • 2 had prfs on the pair, one regular, and the demote (brides 2020, Halloween 2020)
  • 1 had prfs on the pair and both regulars (spring 2020)
  • 1 had a prf on only the pair (dancers 2020)

The app keeps on crashing whenever I try to play PoL. First time this is happening. I'm going to try changing my data quality to recommended and see if this helps at all.

EDIT: Apparently, it's not just me, a thread on gamefaqs seems to suggest this is happening to other people. Well, that makes me feel a bit better. So, question. What is the difference between recommended mode and high quality anyway?

Edited by Sunwoo

Yeah, Loki's messing with us, dangling a participation orb in front of our faces and watching us jump at it only to crash back down. Darn it, Loki.

4 hours ago, Sunwoo said:

The app keeps on crashing whenever I try to play PoL. First time this is happening. I'm going to try changing my data quality to recommended and see if this helps at all.

EDIT: Apparently, it's not just me, a thread on gamefaqs seems to suggest this is happening to other people. Well, that makes me feel a bit better. So, question. What is the difference between recommended mode and high quality anyway?

According to a notification from half an hour ago, it's crashing on attempts to play Intermediate or Advanced if you're in T4 or lower. Seems they're not going to fix it for this round, but they're giving out 5 free orbs and planning to fix it for the next one.

I'm at Tier 9 and still my game crashes, I just did begginer one, not big loss but big yikes on IS.

Here its the twitter info:

Edited by Naoshi

4 minutes ago, Naoshi said:

I'm at Tier 9 and still my game crashes, I just did begginer one, not big loss but big yikes on IS.

Here its the twitter info:

Yeah, Tier 9 here and also crashing.

That's stupid.

I guessed as much that the issue was with the player data. The player data was loaded by people playing the game mode, but since they made some changes all of the old stuff had to be dumped. So when starting Intermediate/Advance there is probably some null value being passed back and causes your game to crash.

Honestly keep it this way, because I'm not looking forward to facing Fallen Edelgards. I guess I'll need to invest in using Kempf or something. Remove one cancer (Save skills) introduce another.