Fire Emblem Heroes General Discussion and Links

eclipse

1 hour ago, Arcanite said:

Yeah she's not really that good. I don't understand the point of fenrir or fenrir+. Her atk is decent and her resistance is pretty great, though. They should have given her some sort of special tome like nosferatu or something to make her a little more useful. The unfortunate thing is that the dragon based skills  (draconic aura and such) aren't really good either and since it's 4 cool down and she has no speed I fail to see its function on a unit like her. 

I would understand it in a character with a really visible role in their stats and skills that doesn't it in their weapons (like Effie and her Wary Fighter)

1 hour ago, LordFrigid said:

She might not have the greatest base skill set, but you could probably carve her a niche with a bit of Skill Inheritance magic.

For example, give her Swordbreaker and she'll slaughter most sword lords regardless of their boon/bane (there are exceptions, Eirika, Lyn, +Res Marth to name a few). She won't even die to a counterattack (read: Raijinto. Or that one person I went up against that actually had Lv 40 +10 Distant Counter Chrom). Alternatively, she could probably make use of Quick Riposte and use it to bait out ranged threats like Takumi and Julia (ORKO's +Res Takumi, will need an Atk buff for +Res Julia, but still an ORKO). Edit: she'd need a def buff for +Atk Takumi. And after that's all said and done, you've got Dragon Fang fully charged.

Defiant (probably Atk) + Threaten (probably Res) would make her pretty good bait, with her high defenses.

There's probably more, but long story short...if you really were dead set on making her useful, I'm willing to bet you could do it.

I guess there is a way to make her actually decent, but it feels so wrong I have to pretty much change everything in her to make at least decent.

58 minutes ago, ILikeKirbys said:

@Troykv Yeah, that sounds about right. Sophia's not that good, outside of having skills I want to give other characters. But, maybe we can fix her via Inherit Skill? I'm thinking maybe we could start by giving her Rally Defense/Resistance for a Command Skill (whichever of those your teammates require)... And then give her Moonbow, so she can at least have a chance at using her Special Skill... And then give her Death Blow and Threaten RES so she can deal more damage (if she's only going to get one hit, it needs to count for a lot)... and for a B Skill, perhaps a Breaker skill? Not sure which one should be used, I'm thinking either Axebreaker so she can counter Hector and other axes or Swordbreaker so she can beat down low-RES sword lords; I don't see any reason to use the Tomebreakers. And for a weapon, maybe Raudhrwolf, so she can wreck cavalry, or Raudhrraven, for double WTA (though, if she gets this, maybe give her Triangle Adept over Death Blow).
Would this possibly fix Sophia?

Dragon Fang's function on Sophia is that Attack is her highest stat (unless you had a -ATK/+DEF or -ATK/+RES Sophia), so you can add a large amount of her ATK stat as additional damage when you get it charged, and given how Sophia's stats are distributed she looks like she's supposed to be a one-hit nuke that doesn't take hits very well, so there's really no point in giving her anything except more power... Of course, this fails since Sophia isn't built to last long enough to charge Dragon Fang up 99.99% of the time (4 cooldown on a unit this slow and fragile is just not a good idea), but that looks like the logical explanation from where I'm standing.

I need to check whick characters have Rally Def/Res and Moonbow; you aren't the first one to suggest me use Swordbreaker, and I think I will do it as soon as I found a Sully or Abel with it.

PD: I have already give her Raudhrraven.

• Replies 77k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vaximillian

• Anacybele

• Ice Dragon

• Othin

I've been leveling up my recently promoted 5* Robin and 4* Anna for the next arena battles.  He's already 40 and she's like 39 and a half.  The 1.5x EXP really makes things fly.  Anna started from a 2* yesterday and is already almost max level at 4*.

@Troykv I think Odin and Palla have Moonbow, Nowi and Oboro have Rally Defense, and Cecilia has Rally Resistance. There are probably others I'm forgetting tho.

So, with Raudhrraven, I dunno if you want Death Blow (to always deal more damage) or Triangle Adept (to do much better against Green and Colorless foes). I suppose it depends on how Sophia handle Greens with and without TA, whether Takumi can one-shot her, and whether Blues can one-round you without TA, but I wouldn't know the calcs for that.

And you're not changing everything about Sophia to make her good, just giving her the tools that best suit her limited skillset.

@Eselred I've been doing the same thing with my recently-acquired Ninian and Fae. It's really very convenient, and I hope they have more of these boosted-EXP events in the future.

2 hours ago, Troykv said:

Ugh... Maybe I'm salty, but I can't hold this anymore...

I feel like everything about Sophia's design in this it was done to make her the worst character in the game. :Sophia:

- The Slowest character in the game (so slow that every non-Reinharadt/Gordin Brave user can x4 her to hell)

- She has the lamest weapon in the game, the other slow characters at least get something: Reinhardt's and Gordin's Brave Weapons; Effie's Wary Fighter and insane Atk, Henry's, Cecilia's and Leo's special Books; Reinhardt's and Hawkeye's Death Blow.

- Sophia skill are Res based: Warding Blow (something useless if you can't double or has a special effect in your player-phase's Attacks) and Fortify Res (Who cares about increasing it's Res outside of the Blade Tomes Users?)... She only would lack Rally Res to be the ultimate Res based character in the game... But with that horrible speed she is still destroyed for the magic users.

- Every possible role that Sophia would fit, are better fitted and more optimun.

She doesn't ever work as a Sacrifical Lamb... she is just so lame... Why IS?.. It feels so wrong to be afraid of the enemy units that are supposed to have disadvantages against you.

You can either complain that things don't go your way, or figure out how to make your circumstances useful (especially since this is a mobile game, and not some super-serious life situation).  The difference is that one of these will make you a happier person overall.

Choose wisely.

1 hour ago, shadowofchaos said:

I'm also probably going to get kicked off ranked by seasons end. And no successful defenses this time around.

Oh well. I never get ranked feathers anyway.

I promoted her to 4*.  She gets a better proc and better stats.  I'm also running a single 5* unit, and my arena score is ~4,300.

For Sophia, on the bright side of things she has the highest stat total for mages, on par with M!Robin and F!Robin at 149.

Does vanilla Sophia suck? Yes. If we learned anything from Alfonse, it is that being slow is a death sentence and makes the unit almost useless against anything outside of its WTA advantage. But his Skill Inheritance and some creativity, Sophia can transform into a very deadly character.
Name: Sophia
Weapon: Rauðrraven*
Special Skill: Sol*
Assist Skill: Reciprocal Aid*

Passive A: Close Counter*
Passive B: Quick Riposte*
Passive C: Threaten ATT*
With this setup, Sophia is now a deadly Red Tome Tank.  While Henry can tank physical hits better than Sophia, he lacks the damage output Sophia has, and Sophia can also tank magic attacks as well.

1. With Rauðrraven, Sophia has WTA advantage over Greens and Greys, increasing her damage output further while also improving her survivability.
2. With Sol, Sophia can stay alive longer, and Sol is triggered more often due to Quick Riposte.
3. In the event Sophia has less than the Quick Riposte threshold (70% HP), she can use Reciprocal Aid to get her HP back up so she can still counter twice.
4. Close Counter allows Sophia to retaliate in melee, removing one of her weaknesses as a mage.
5. As long as Sophia stays above 70%, she can double enemies that attack her. This allows Sophia to take advantage of her high ATT power as well as help charge Sol up faster.
6. Threaten ATT helps keep Sophia alive, but you can replace it with any other C Passive of your choosing.
----------
Alternatively, if you don't want to break the bank (Close Counter and Quick Riposte are difficult to obtain) and want something a bit more simpler, try these.suggestions.

Special Skill: Iceberg or Bonfire - Since Sophia has good DEF & RES, take advantage of whatever is higher. Whenever the skill procs, she will likely do at least 14 damage, and can do even more if DEF or RES is her Boon and she is buffed in that stat. (For comparison, Luna, another 3 charge skill, will only do 14 or more damage if the enemy you are fighting has 28 or more DEF/RES. For Sophia, she targets RES, so for some common Arena characters: Y!Tiki has 29, Marth 23, Lucina 19, and Takumi 18. // Moonbow, while having a charge time of 2, does even less. // Also keep in mind the general rule of thumb is to have -RES as a Bane, making Luna/Moonbow not really worth it on mages.)

Passive B: Breaker Skills - Transform Sophia into a unit that can break others. Swordbreaker is a good one since common Arena swords are fairly fast, and it will help her defensively as well if they try to attack Sophia.
Look at the character stats and take advantage of them. Even characters that are the very bottom of the Tier List can be transformed into powerful heroes with the right setup.

Edited by Sire

I'd say being slow is only a death sentence if the unit doesn't have enough def or res to tank those hits. A character like Freddy works well even though he's slow because he can wall just about any physical attack at 5 star max. Not even swords can beat my Freddy easily, though he is +def. I'll admit you don't want him to have -def or anything like that.

But yeah, if the character can't take hits, low speed is a death sentence.

1 hour ago, eclipse said:

You can either complain that things don't go your way, or figure out how to make your circumstances useful (especially since this is a mobile game, and not some super-serious life situation).  The difference is that one of these will make you a happier person overall.

Choose wisely.

I promoted her to 4*.  She gets a better proc and better stats.  I'm also running a single 5* unit, and my arena score is ~4,300.

Well.. I think I'm complain mostly to know people opinions in the subject, I can live with that, but I want to know what people thinks.

42 minutes ago, Sire said:

For Sophia, on the bright side of things she has the highest stat total for mages, on par with M!Robin and F!Robin at 149.

Does vanilla Sophia suck? Yes. If we learned anything from Alfonse, it is that being slow is a death sentence and makes the unit almost useless against anything outside of its WTA advantage. But his Skill Inheritance and some creativity, Sophia can transform into a very deadly character.
Name: Sophia
Weapon: Rauðrraven*
Special Skill: Sol*
Assist Skill: Reciprocal Aid*

Passive A: Close Counter*
Passive B: Quick Riposte*
Passive C: Threaten ATT*
With this setup, Sophia is now a deadly Red Tome Tank.  While Henry can tank physical hits better than Sophia, he lacks the damage output Sophia has, and Sophia can also tank magic attacks as well.

1. With Rauðrraven, Sophia has WTA advantage over Greens and Greys, increasing her damage output further while also improving her survivability.
2. With Sol, Sophia can stay alive longer, and Sol is triggered more often due to Quick Riposte.
3. In the event Sophia has less than the Quick Riposte threshold (70% HP), she can use Reciprocal Aid to get her HP back up so she can still counter twice.
4. Close Counter allows Sophia to retaliate in melee, removing one of her weaknesses as a mage.
5. As long as Sophia stays above 70%, she can double enemies that attack her. This allows Sophia to take advantage of her high ATT power as well as help charge Sol up faster.
6. Threaten ATT helps keep Sophia alive, but you can replace it with any other C Passive of your choosing.
----------
Alternatively, if you don't want to break the bank (Close Counter and Quick Riposte are difficult to obtain) and want something a bit more simpler, try these.suggestions.

Special Skill: Iceberg or Bonfire - Since Sophia has good DEF & RES, take advantage of whatever is higher. Whenever the skill procs, she will likely do at least 14 damage, and can do even more if DEF or RES is her Boon and she is buffed in that stat. (For comparison, Luna, another 3 charge skill, will only do 14 or more damage if the enemy you are fighting has 28 or more DEF/RES. For Sophia, she targets RES, so for some common Arena characters: Y!Tiki has 29, Marth 23, Lucina 19, and Takumi 18. // Moonbow, while having a charge time of 2, does even less. // Also keep in mind the general rule of thumb is to have -RES as a Bane, making Luna/Moonbow not really worth it on mages.)

Passive B: Breaker Skills - Transform Sophia into a unit that can break others. Swordbreaker is a good one since common Arena swords are fairly fast, and it will help her defensively as well if they try to attack Sophia.
Look at the character stats and take advantage of them. Even characters that are the very bottom of the Tier List can be transformed into powerful heroes with the right setup.

Oh dude, that are some really nice ideas, I have already inherited Henry's Red Raven Tome to her... I need to wait for my next pull to try to get something for her.

2 minutes ago, Troykv said:

Well.. I think I'm complain mostly to know people opinions in the subject, I can live with that, but I want to know what people thinks.

Then straight-up ASK for opinions on Sophia, rather than post a wall of complaints.  I posted some things you could do with her elsewhere.

1 minute ago, eclipse said:

Then straight-up ASK for opinions on Sophia, rather than post a wall of complaints.  I posted some things you could do with her elsewhere.

It's a mix of both things; opinions about the Sophia's flawed design and opinions about how make her work; not just the latter. Okay?

Oh? Where?

@Troykv With Inherit Skill, any unit can be a great unit (basically, anything js salvageable if you're willing to invest on them). Sophia has avergae stats but low spd, so she needs something to make her double like Quick Riposte or a breaker skill, that can be Sword, Axe or Bow breaker as they're the most common threats (any sword unit, Hector, Takumi). She has average atk (kinda low if it is 33) so Dragon Fang is ok. The rest depend on what you want her to do, if you want offense, support or tank and play with the available skills you have like Defiant Atk/Def/Res, Fury, Close Counter, Threaten Atk/Res.

= EDIT =

Apparently the Heroes wiki doesn't take into account weapon atk for certain characters on certain sections. My 4* Cecilia has more atk than the one displayed there (char profile), so Sophia might end up having 46 atk on average, so don't give up on her. That's pretty good plus she is tanky with 40hp and defenses at 28/29. Give her a breaker or quick riposte and call it a day.

Edited by Quintessence

Finally polished off that all-armor clear of 7-5 Lunatic. Now I have to seriously evaluate whether or not I actually want to try to do the all-armor 10th stratum quest...at least 7-5 didn't have any secret Hammer/Armorslayer/Heavy Spear users...

1 hour ago, Troykv said:

It's a mix of both things; opinions about the Sophia's flawed design and opinions about how make her work; not just the latter. Okay?

Oh? Where?

Right here.  Numbers are helpful, since you can also see just how much punishment someone can take, and work around it.

Sophia's low Speed may also be a blessing in disguise, since she can take -Spd.  Since she's doubled anyway, any other boon will help her in some way, shape, or form.

2 hours ago, Troykv said:

Sophia was the very first character I pulled, at 4*. At first I thought she was very awesome because she had a very high Att and a very high Res, and she could kill most things. But as I progressed she started losing steam. Lack of speed hurt her offensive power but also her defense, since she was always doubled. Her res started to flag too. Then I pulled a Nino and replaced her.

Yeah I agree with you, they screwed them over (possibly intentionally?) she just doesn't have a good skill/stat distribution. Heroes has several characters who work with high att and low speed - Julia, Lilina, Sanaki too, right? but they work much better -- with Julia it's higher offense and resistance, I think (and not as crap speed so she doesn't double except armors, but she doesn't get doubled as often either) and an anti-dragon tome. I see Lilina also has at least 4-5 more Att at equivalent rarity.

And yeah her skills don't help her at all. I can overlook Dragon Fang, even thought Draconic Aura at least would have worked much better, but Warding Blow is just crap and doesn't help her at all. You're not supposed to tank with her, really, but neither can you nuke. She doesn't have a specific kind of designated target. Poor Sophia! It's a shame, I like her character.

Edited by salinea

49 minutes ago, LordFrigid said:

Finally polished off that all-armor clear of 7-5 Lunatic. Now I have to seriously evaluate whether or not I actually want to try to do the all-armor 10th stratum quest...at least 7-5 didn't have any secret Hammer/Armorslayer/Heavy Spear users...

One time I saw a hector with wings of mercy.

Imagine the look on my face when he teleported across the map and molly-whopped my Robin

2 minutes ago, Arcanite said:

One time I saw a hector with wings of mercy.

Imagine the look on my face when he teleported across the map and molly-whopped my Robin

Were you fighting my team by any chance?

Spoiler

Fire%20Emblem%20Heroes_2017-03-19-20-47-

Too bad SP grinding is such a pain.

6 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

Hide contents

You monster.

Honestly that seems like a lot of fun. Shame I don't have a Hector to try it with. 

Also, if you weren't thinking about it already, I'd recommend putting Pivot on him, which helps immensely with his movement problems. 

4 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

Reveal hidden contents

Nah, this was in tenth stratum. As soon as I realized what was happening it was too late, there was nothing I could do :(

Spoiler

Looks like the arena is more cancerous than I thought . . . . . . . . .

6 minutes ago, MaskedAmpharos said:

You monster.

Honestly that seems like a lot of fun. Shame I don't have a Hector to try it with. 

Also, if you weren't thinking about it already, I'd recommend putting Pivot on him, which helps immensely with his movement problems. 

I've actually given it to him, but I don't have enough SP to have him learn it yet.

4 minutes ago, Arcanite said:

Nah, this was in tenth stratum. As soon as I realized what was happening it was too late, there was nothing I could do :(

Hide contents

Looks like the arena is more cancerous than I thought . . . . . . . . .

Yeah, my Takumi got caught off guard by an entire team full of Wings of Mercy characters.  I honestly wish Skill inheritance never got added to the game, but I'll do what I have to to keep my team competitive.

Just now, Rezzy said:

I honestly wish Skill inheritance never got added to the game, but I'll do what I have to to keep my team competitive.

*cancerous

Good thing I only have 2 five stars so my BST won't let me see any of the extreme filthiness that goes on.

Spoiler

That face when you realize you're still in the 2 five stars club:images.jpg.08f64c4b57f02e6b79e75f98cc9428c5.jpg

What's odd is that I keep playing the arena but I never ran into someone as monstrous as that Hector (and yes, I've been playing 4 5* units on advanced). Heck, I don't recall running into anyone that used skill inherit.

14 minutes ago, Rapha666br said:

I haven't seen anyone say this: I want Ike's father in the game.

Greil and Urvan would very much be appreciated. Screw sibling bonds, we need a father and son bond just for that. 

5 minutes ago, Falcom said:

What's odd is that I keep playing the arena but I never ran into someone as monstrous as that Hector (and yes, I've been playing 4 5* units on advanced). Heck, I don't recall running into anyone that used skill inherit.

Greil and Urvan would very much be appreciated. Screw sibling bonds, we need a father and son bond just for that. 

I wonder how would be Urvan as a Weapon.

What it does in RD? I forget it xD

14 minutes ago, Rapha666br said:

I haven't seen anyone say this: I want Ike's father in the game.

I think I've said this a couple of times.

Although I would add that it's either "Add Greil" or "RD Ike uses Axes, and Urvan" for me.

4 minutes ago, Falcom said:

That's strange, I've run into quite a few Hectors (and an Effie, though fortunately that was on the desert map so I could have her chase someone in a circle around a thing while F!Robin took potshots until she built up Ignis), and I mostly did Intermediate with 3 5-Stars and a 4-Star (all max-level).

4 minutes ago, Falcom said:

Are there enough father-son pairs for that to work tho? I can only come up with Greil & Ike and Quan & Leif, though I'm certain there are others that I'm either forgetting or just not aware of.

6 minutes ago, Troykv said:

It was just a very strong axe with Res +3 or something.

Personally I'm more interested in what they do with Alondite. Will they let people inherit it off BK?

Edit:

1 minute ago, ILikeKirbys said:

Are there enough father-son pairs for that to work tho? I can only come up with Greil & Ike and Quan & Leif, though I'm certain there are others that I'm either forgetting or just not aware of.

Eliwood and Roy is still Father-son, even if they're both rather common.

Edited by DehNutCase

2 minutes ago, Troykv said:

In POR and RD, the Urvan granted +3 resistance. In POR, it had 18 might. In RD, it increased to 22.

Obviously, the Urvan is going to be nerfed. Probably to 16 might since most unique weapons usually have that number. But imagine if the Urvan in heroes had 18 might instead...

3 minutes ago, ILikeKirbys said:

I know it's kind of impossible since I can't even think of any other pairs. But perhaps just add in like some father and son pair in Fates?