Fire Emblem Heroes General Discussion and Links

eclipse

1 hour ago, Jotari said:

Cymbeline already has a refine. I'd find it a little strange if the threw another effect on it now. Have they ever done that before?

6 minutes ago, Xenomata said:

No reason it can't be updated.

Getting a refine shouldn't mean that that's the absolute last and final fine-tuning a weapon can get.

Ephraim got a refine, and then access to Flame Siegmund later. It's not quite the same thing, but has some similarities.

Edited by Tree

• Replies 77k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vaximillian

• Anacybele

• Ice Dragon

• Othin

11 minutes ago, Xenomata said:

No reason it can't be updated.

Getting a refine shouldn't mean that that's the absolute last and final fine-tuning a weapon can get.

I kind of think it should be. They should get the weapon right the first time. Cymbeline already has a unique effect, there's no real good reason to add another to it. Better off giving beast effectiveness to a new weapon. Especially since Cymbeline can never be used against Beast Laguz in Radiant Dawn.

No issue with a change in sprite though.

6 minutes ago, Tree said:

Ephraim got a refine, and then access to Flame Siegmund later. It's not quite the same thing, but has some similarities.

That's a weapon evolution. Like a dozen weapons have that. It's a different thing. For that to be this case there'd need to be some kind of Imperial Cymbeline or something introduced with a legendary Sanaki (adult concept design maybe?) that doesn't have the normal Cymbeline's effect and has something else instead. It's a different weapon essentially.

Edited by Jotari

2 minutes ago, Jotari said:

I kind of think it should be. They should get the weapon right the first time. Cymbeline already has a unique effect, there's no real good reason to add another to it. Better off giving beast effectiveness to a new weapon. Especially since Cumbeline can never be used against Beast Laguz in Radiant Dawn.

No issue with a change in sprite though.

"Right the first time" can very quickly become obsolete overnight in this game though. And while I don't expect every single unit to have an equally powerful personal weapon before the game's life ends, it doesn't seem fair to just leave a unit in the dust just because they got their personal/refine earlier than another.

A good example would be Sol Katti. The effect is good, sure, but it very quickly became underwhelming compared to other sword users in the game, but the example I'd like to use is Cain and his Bull Blade. Lyn gets an automatic follow-up attack and can make them one after another if she's weakened, and only on foes who can counterattack. Cain gets a nearby-ally related conditional Brave effect in addition to the existing Atk/Def boost that gets triggered by said ally as well. Both the same weapon type on early-game units, hell one of them is in the 5* pool, but one got her effect as soon as the Weapon refinery came into being, and that's about the last you hear of Lyn. Cain... actually I've not heard much of Cain recently, but IMO he has far more to be feared for than Lyn does.

I'm not looking to argue about sword vs sword by the way, I was just using an example.

21 minutes ago, Tree said:

...curious you bring that up, because he seems to be the only case so far... never even got Festive Siegmund either.

2 hours ago, Xenomata said:

"Right the first time" can very quickly become obsolete overnight in this game though. And while I don't expect every single unit to have an equally powerful personal weapon before the game's life ends, it doesn't seem fair to just leave a unit in the dust just because they got their personal/refine earlier than another.

A good example would be Sol Katti. The effect is good, sure, but it very quickly became underwhelming compared to other sword users in the game, but the example I'd like to use is Cain and his Bull Blade. Lyn gets an automatic follow-up attack and can make them one after another if she's weakened, and only on foes who can counterattack. Cain gets a nearby-ally related conditional Brave effect in addition to the existing Atk/Def boost that gets triggered by said ally as well. Both the same weapon type on early-game units, hell one of them is in the 5* pool, but one got her effect as soon as the Weapon refinery came into being, and that's about the last you hear of Lyn. Cain... actually I've not heard much of Cain recently, but IMO he has far more to be feared for than Lyn does.

I'm not looking to argue about sword vs sword by the way, I was just using an example.

...curious you bring that up, because he seems to be the only case so far... never even got Festive Siegmund either.

Well that just says the game's not perfectly balanced. Which of course I would never ague that it is. But balancing shouldn't come from endlessly retconning weapons as being more powerful. They have a chance to do that with refines and they do. If it's just open season and any weapon can get any number of effects post refine, then where does it end? Sanaki's not as amazing as she could be and you like her. Understandable. OG Roy isn't as amazing as I want him to be. I think he should get Distant Counter on his weapon, but I don't expect them to actually do it, as that's not how they solve the problem. What they do is introduce new units with new weapons like Legendary Roy.

2 hours ago, Xenomata said:

That's far from the only exmample. Off the top of my head, Julia has a refine for Naga and Divine Naga. All of the Awakening Falchion users have refines and the Sealed Falchion. Seliph has a Tyrfing and Divine Tyrfing and there's no doubt many more.

Edited by Jotari

3 hours ago, Xenomata said:

3 hours ago, Jotari said:

Well that just says the game's not perfectly balanced. Which of course I would never ague that it is. But balancing shouldn't come from endlessly retconning weapons as being more powerful. They have a chance to do that with refines and they do. If it's just open season and any weapon can get any number of effects post refine, then where does it end? Sanaki's not as amazing as she could be and you like her. Understandable. OG Roy isn't as amazing as I want him to be. I think he should get Distant Counter on his weapon, but I don't expect them to actually do it, as that's not how they solve the problem. What they do is introduce new units with new weapons like Legendary Roy.

That's far from the only exmample. Off the top of my head, Julia has a refine for Naga and Divine Naga. All of the Awakening Falchion users have refines and the Sealed Falchion. Seliph has a Tyrfing and Divine Tyrfing and there's no doubt many more.

Another problem is also whats "unique" also isn't good a lot of time. Its very annoying from "development perspective" standpoint. Not, im not exactly saying that "LOLBOND" Refine is a unique and creative but like

How many unit, with Prf, between the first beast banner to now have this exact text:

"enemy can't perform follow up"

or this

"Make a Guaranted Follow up attack"

Yeah, kinda same with how if you get Killer weapon you basically hit jackpot because killer is a stupid strong effect

12 minutes ago, JSND Alter Dragon Boner said:

Another problem is also whats "unique" also isn't good a lot of time. Its very annoying from "development perspective" standpoint. Not, im not exactly saying that "LOLBOND" Refine is a unique and creative but like

How many unit, with Prf, between the first beast banner to now have this exact text:

"enemy can't perform follow up"

or this

"Make a Guaranted Follow up attack"

Yeah, kinda same with how if you get Killer weapon you basically hit jackpot because killer is a stupid strong effect

I like Sanaki's unique refine effect for the reference it has, though. I think probably the best way to improve her would be to make some kind of Flier Bond skill that works the same way as her effect (the same as a regular bond skill only with further range at the cost of only working on a single movement type). Then you could double (or triple if there's a Seal) down on it.

Nothing technically wrong with adding an alternative refine - the system wouldn't support a two-stage refine of the same weapon anyway. I admit I'd be rather cheesed off though if I had spent 200 dew on a refine only to have a better one come along. I suppose that ship has already sailed though, if say you gave Linde Dark Aura before later going back and switching to refined Aura.

Me, I'd support just giving Sanaki access to Thani, though I suspect this would be an unpopular opinion.

1 hour ago, Humanoid said:

Nothing technically wrong with adding an alternative refine - the system wouldn't support a two-stage refine of the same weapon anyway. I admit I'd be rather cheesed off though if I had spent 200 dew on a refine only to have a better one come along. I suppose that ship has already sailed though, if say you gave Linde Dark Aura before later going back and switching to refined Aura.

Me, I'd support just giving Sanaki access to Thani, though I suspect this would be an unpopular opinion.

I'd rather they just started giving old units new PRF skills. If they can give us new weapons (not even new refines, some units just suddenly get entirely new prf weapons) why not more unique skills?

21 minutes ago, Jotari said:

I'd rather they just started giving old units new PRF skills. If they can give us new weapons (not even new refines, some units just suddenly get entirely new prf weapons) why not more unique skills?

That'd be great assuming it doesn't add yet another resource to the game.

The only reason Cymbeline originally had effectiveness against beast units is because all fire spells did in Tellius.

I feel like that's like saying Wind's Brand should be effective against fliers because that's how Tellius wind magic worked.

Edited by Othin

4 hours ago, Humanoid said:

That'd be great assuming it doesn't add yet another resource to the game.

Aye, there's the rub. We have like a dozen different resources already, yet they feel like adding more when ever there's a new feature for some reason. While we're talking about it, let me pull out my list of retroactive prf skills.

Spoiler

Eirika

Fencing Style - B Skill

If unit's Atk < foe's Atk+5, unit performs an immediate follow up attack (like a Brave Weapon).

Based on Eirika's Blade from Awakening, which in turn might be based on how the game hacks Erikia to get another attack if you play the first chapter of Sacred Stones on easy. Not sure how warranted this is, she has a refine that seems pretty useful already, but my Eirika is -atk so she basically can't damage anything as is. I at least think it wouldn't make her broken which is the whole idea.

Nowi/Adult Tiki (and Nah if we ever get her)

Odd Rhythm - C Skill

At the start of Odd Numbered turns, grants Attack/Speed/Defense/Resistance+4 to unit and adjacent allies for one turn.

The Odd Wave skills were introduced after these units came on the scene despite Odd Rhythm being a Manakete skill introduced in Awakening. 

Fallen Takumi

Replicate - C Skill

Unit is registered as Adjacent to allied unit from up to two squares away. This means he gets spur buffs and contributes to Owltome buffs from a further distance. Kind niche usefulness but could work for some team set ups

I evidently care more about game loyalty than practicality.

Zephiel

Lightning Counter - A Skill

Unit can counter attack from any distance. If foe initiates combat, unit is immune to Armour Slaying effects.

It still cheeses me off that Exaccess and the Binding Blade didn't get DC. King also wasn't considered an armored unit in Binding Blade to stop Zephiel being gimped so that's a nice thing to throw onto it to stop it basically being a free Distant Counter to equip to him.

Michalis

Iote's Shield+ - A Skill

Neutralizes effective against flying bonuses. In combat with an enemy using a bow, unit makes a guaranteed follow up attack and foe cannot counter attack or make a follow up.

He's the original wielder of Iote's Shield, so let's give him a more effective version that makes him truly immune to bows.

Whalhart

Conquest - A Skill

Neutralizes bonuses from effective weapons. Unit is treated like both an Armoured and a Cavalry unit when receiving buffs, with the exception of armour march.

Gives us an armoured mounted unit essentially, although he can't equip any of the armoured skills, he does receive armour specific buffs.

Saber

Knife Play - C skill

If Enemy initiates combat, this unit is treated as a Colourless unit  and after combat enemies within two spaces of foe receive Atk/Spd -5, allies within two spaces of unit receive Atk/Spd +5 and allies within two spaces of unit recover 7 HP.

Basically turns him into a hybrid Sword Knife unit in reference to the golden dagger. The best of this means immunity from the effects of weapon triangle when getting attacked by blue foes. It also comes with Knife debuffs and unit buffs (and a Breath of Life effect because of Golden Dagger's skills in Echoes). Had it as an A skill at first but I think the fact that it has influence on enemies and allies justifies it for the much less contested C skill slot.

Fallen Celica/Delthea/Sonya

Teleportation - B Skill

If unit's HP = 100%, unit can move to a space adjacent to any ally.

It bothers me to no end that none of these units came with a Wings of Mercy or Escape route or something.

Lyon

Stone Breaker - B Skill

If unit's HP >= 50%, in combat against a Breath foe, unit can make a guaranteed follow up attack and foe cannot make a follow up attack.

Admittedly this one was based on a pun of Lyon wanting to destroy the Sacred Stones and Manaketes wielding dragonstones, but he did kick Morva's ass so it's not entirely baseless (and a pun is as good a reason as any to make a unit better). Given the properties of Ngalfar this would make him a pretty decent counter to Duma.

Olwen

Blessed Sword - A Skill

Unit can counter at any range. If unit is performing a counter attack against a cavalry foe, unit deals effective damage.

I don't want Olwen to get a third incarnation, but I do think the Blessed Sword should be represented in her moveset. It also has brave properties so stick it on the original (pretty sucky) Dire Thunder Olwen.

Julius

Lopt Blessing - A Skill

If foe initiates combat using a sword, lance, axe, bow, knife or beast(is that how we phrase it?) and foe does not possess an "Effective against dragons skill," foe's damage is divided by 1.5.

Julius's complete lack of defense is his major weakness. You could almost given him the original lopt tome and he could still be killed. But that would be a bit ridiculous so let's just given him the modern Dragon Skin effect and only when talking about physical weapons.

Micaiah

Sacrifice+ - Assist Skill

Normal Sacrifice effects plus it also heals unit of status effects.

Because healing units of status effects is what it did in it's own game (and was probably the most useful aspect of the skill beyond exp farming).

Xander

Chivalry - B Skill

At the start of combat, if foe's HP = 100%, grants Atk/Def+6.

It's his prf skill in Fates and I see no mechanical or logical reason not to port it into Heroes in some way.

Duma

Tentacle - A Skill

If unit is not adjacent to an ally, grant Def/Res+6 during combat, and at the start of every turn, deal 7 damage to enemies within 2 spaces.

Duma is missing some hentai action in his moveset. This is basically Def/Res solo (his default A skill) with an added version of Surtr's passive damage effect (albeit reduced) to help him make use of Fell Breath better.

Edited by Jotari

Okay, so I know people give Faye Guard Bow, but what unit has it? I have yet to see it on any archers I've pulled. Or is it a weapon you only get through refining something else?

2 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Okay, so I know people give Faye Guard Bow, but what unit has it? I have yet to see it on any archers I've pulled. Or is it a weapon you only get through refining something else?

You can get it through Setsuna. you can upgrade her Assassin's bow to Guard Bow.

3 minutes ago, Hekselka said:

What do you think they’ll do with Golden week? 5% banner, free orbs and some maps or something else?

They're crowning a new emperor, so maybe we'll get a free royal unit!

2 minutes ago, Hekselka said:

Time for Second Gen Emperor Arvis?!

A new banner with Emperor Alvis, Rudolf, Ashnard and Duma (wait, they're all villains which would have unfortunate implications, still, it'd be totally sweet).

41 minutes ago, Hekselka said:

What do you think they’ll do with Golden week? 5% banner, free orbs and some maps or something else?

I expect either a Hero Fest or Daily Banners, Orbs and some maps~ There were tickets datamined so I'm assuming there will be some kind of Banner for it.

14 hours ago, Tree said:

@Lanko

Wow, you've been busy! Looks like you're having fun. :):

I'd give Celica one of the Brazen seals (Atk/Res or Atk/Def) at some point since that should work great with her refined weapon.

You got Tier 25 on your first Grand Conquest?! I still have to work for that even with good friend units. :D:

While it''s generally good to save feathers, you only have 15 5* units. It could definitely be worth promoting one here and there if there's one you like. This will help out greatly in the multi-map battles.

Yeah!

Maybe I got lucky on GC haha, I wouldn't know!

Just opened a 5*Titania and Myhhr from the PoR banner, and just got the seasonal Leo, so there's 18 now. I'll see if I promote one or two to 5*, specially if they have the better IVs.

2 hours ago, Hekselka said:

My best guess is that at least the first two will apply. I’ve always been hoping that there’d one day be a 8% banner or even a hero fest made out of legendary heroes exclusively, and maybe that could apply to Golden week. 

5 hours ago, Hekselka said:

100 feathers and IS calls it a day. If we are lucky we might get daily summon banners except with a twist where every orb is golden so we won't know color it truly is. Legendary Banner will also be filled with nothing but golden orbs so you can be 'truly excited' what unit pops up.

Though seriously 50 orbs plus reruns of previous banners, daily challenge maps that rewards orbs/divine dew/heroic grails would be nice. A Hero Fest banner would be cool too but I don't know if they will do one with the Legendary banner coming right around the corner.

So... the game has been pretty nice to me in terms of giving me banner units with decent assets. Most notably, "common" units are showing up at 4 star rarity, some even having the exact asset/bane combination that I have been looking for. I'm just hope when it decides to burn my orb stash, it's not on a banner that has a character that I really want.