Fire Emblem Heroes General Discussion and Links

eclipse

1 hour ago, Johann said:

I'm not sure that's the best example of being unfriendly to the player, given how it's a total game breaker if you follow a guide and get it early. Also it's not like missing it would prevent you from experiencing anything else in the game.

Missing it would prevent you from experiencing it, that's the point. Players are also going to know the weapon exists because it's on the license board and many might even waste LP expecting it to be something they can eventually find. Such arbitrary and completely unintuitive requirements for a weapon is terrible design.

• Replies 77k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vaximillian

• Anacybele

• Ice Dragon

• Othin

2 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Missing it would prevent you from experiencing it, that's the point. Players are also going to know the weapon exists because it's on the license board and many might even waste LP expecting it to be something they can eventually find. Such arbitrary and completely unintuitive requirements for a weapon is terrible design.

I don't disagree that it's a bad design, but one weapon is a fairly minor thing to miss out on. It's not like you lost characters or game modes. There are definitely better examples than that.

14 minutes ago, Johann said:

I don't disagree that it's a bad design, but one weapon is a fairly minor thing to miss out on. It's not like you lost characters or game modes. There are definitely better examples than that.

I'm not saying the entire game is player unfriendly because of that. That was just a rather extreme example of how something that is trivial with the use of a guide is completely player unfriendly, as I understand the argument was "These maps can be beaten using a step by step guide therefore they must be player friendly."

4 minutes ago, Jotari said:

I'm not saying the entire game is player unfriendly because of that. That was just a rather extreme example of how something that is trivial with the use of a guide is completely player unfriendly, as I understand the argument was "These maps can be beaten using a step by step guide therefore they must be player friendly."

Lemme clarify, I meant that something like "you can't recruit this character" or "you can't see the real ending" would've been a stronger example than something like that spear, which many players would opt not to get even if they have the knowledge of it.

23 minutes ago, Johann said:

Lemme clarify, I meant that something like "you can't recruit this character" or "you can't see the real ending" would've been a stronger example than something like that spear, which many players would opt not to get even if they have the knowledge of it.

I know what you meant. What you seem to be missing is that I was specifically looking at a case where something is trivial with a guide but impossible without one.

3 minutes ago, Jotari said:

I know what you meant. What you seem to be missing is that I was specifically looking at a case where something is trivial with a guide but impossible without one.

Ah, ok. Incidentally, getting to that spear, especially at lower levels, is very challenging, since you'd have to get through an optional boss and flee past two entire areas worth of high level enemies without save points.

2 minutes ago, Johann said:

Ah, ok. Incidentally, getting to that spear, especially at lower levels, is very challenging, since you'd have to get through an optional boss and flee past two entire areas worth of high level enemies without save points.

Well you could wait until you're at a higher level. The fact that you can get it so early is more of a secret really as there's even what appears to be a roadblock in the form of two guards you can sneak past doing something or other that naturally disappear later in the story any way. Is the Giant Bomb the optional boss? I thought you had to fight that eventually anyway when going to Arcadia.

10 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Well you could wait until you're at a higher level. The fact that you can get it so early is more of a secret really as there's even what appears to be a roadblock in the form of two guards you can sneak past doing something or other that naturally disappear later in the story any way. Is the Giant Bomb the optional boss? I thought you had to fight that eventually anyway when going to Arcadia.

The King Bomb is optional, but it's right next to that Moogle search so a lot of players will stumble into it by accident. I sure did. I think there are some cheese strategies that work on it though, particularly in the original version.

3 hours ago, Jotari said:

You seem to be equating "not player friendly" as being "bad".

How exactly so?

I generally don't consider many fighting games to be player-friendly due to their steep learning curves and general lack of on-boarding mechanisms. Smash is one of the few that I consider to be player-friendly, but that doesn't mean it's better than other fighting games (and that doesn't mean fighting games are worse as a genre compared to other genres).

Monster Hunter XX/Generations Ultimate is one of the best games in the Monster Hunter series, yet is pretty terrible at being player-friendly as it has almost zero on-boarding and zero indication as to how to progress through the game (I assume players that don't use guides simply play every quest until they incidentally clear the prerequisites for the next rank-up quest).

1 minute ago, Jotari said:

The biggest difference between the example of the Zodiac Lance and Abyssal challenge content in Heroes is the visibility and impact of the content, and part of it is my fault for not really expanding on the thought yesterday.

From what I can tell, the Zodiac Lance was intended to be hidden content in that it is purely optional (does not significantly affect the difficulty of other content) and is not obtainable without knowing or discovering the mechanic that makes it available. A player that has no knowledge of its existence is not inconvenienced by that lack of knowledge. (Also, I would argue that it is also not trivial even with a guide because a guide doesn't help you if you've already opened one of the chests that make the weapon vanish before reading the guide because you didn't have prior knowledge of the weapon's existence.) Effectively, the weapon is not a significant enough piece of the game to affect the game's friendliness as a whole or even matter in its own friendliness (and I would still argue that it isn't friendly due to the caveat mentioned above in parentheses).

On the other hand, Heroes dangles Abyssal challenge content in the player's face when it is available. The reward is still technically purely optional, but is also generally desirable (as collection and customization are major portions of this game's premise). On the other hand, it is considered challenge content, and players should generally recognize that it is challenge content and that it is reasonable to expect to try searching for a guide if they cannot clear it on their own. Additionally, not only are guides available, but they are generally executable with guaranteed success by many players (and if you don't have the required units to use one of the guides, the content has a scheduled date for when you can try again, so it's impossible to permanently miss out).

For some reason Reyson did not register as a flying refresher. Sweet, now I don't have to pull for YT!Olivia. Would have been nice to to have weapon triangle advantage with LH!Azura, PA!Azura, and YT!Olivia but they shouldn't be seeing much combat anyway.

4 hours ago, Humanoid said:

Player unfriendly? Can't go past Sierra adventure games.

Or Monster Rancher and their hilariously complex raising mechanic to the point that people used to think 3 year is the average lifespan and 90% of that game's myth turns out to be true under some sort of magical hidden mechanics

New Banner. 
Pls let me Fill in the one hole that i driving my crazy in my Herodex. 
Free Pull YT Olivia, +atk/-res or +spd/-res. 
I beg of you. please let this happen.

(also if you can slide a Tiki or Corrin my way, kthnxbaibai).....

On 06/05/2019 at 3:35 PM, Interdimensional Observer said:

My skipping of SoV is irrational in full, a carryover from Fates. I chose it apart from the Internet, before reading anything about SoV's plot online, but like Fates, my continued detachment from its plot and characters is most certainly influenced by contentious arguments online of things such as Alm's perfection and Celica's stupidity.

Yet that didn't stop you from playing through RD despite it being that controversial online for those reasons but replacing Alm and Celica with Ike and Micaiah respectively. I mean are you going to let people's opinions online dissuade you from formulating your own opinions. Also, Skrimir's stupidity didn't prevent you from enjoying his character so that's an odd reason to be scared of a plot. And I'm pretty sure Skrimir is more stupid than any FE lord. 

Maybe if FE10 was released later, you would have skipped that game. Is that right? 

And for me, the school setting, the triple house split, and the avatar all raise flags. Just unseal the Eldritch Dragon/Evil Goddess beneath the school, have it destroy the place, and let me with everyone united against it kill the great foe.

The triple house split seems like an interesting idea. Not sure how it raises a red flag. Your last sentence sounds boring unless I'm misunderstanding what you want. 

...Oh, and why did I make the choice for not skipping the old FE plots when doing so with the new? Guess it's just a difference of eras, and me showing a receptiveness to the old, even when it has had its very aspects also subject to contentious argument. I went into FE4 fully aware of the contentions of Arvis (I'm no Kaga the #1 Arvis fanboy and father, but I wouldn't put him to a bonfire) and Lewyn (Gen 1 very good, Gen 2... Forseti- you ain't what I imagined you to be:dry:).

Does this make you an elitist? :P:

I was actually wondering what your opinion on Arvis for a long time. I still haven't played FE4 but from what I've read about him, he is an excellent villain and may be the best villain in the series. Currently I'm neutral on him and don't care about him as I haven't experienced his character myself. 

7 minutes ago, Icelerate said:

Does this make you an elitist? :P:

If I am, and there certainly might be grounds to say so, I'm a fairly well-behaved one. I don't go shredding the new apart, I accept it and let others peacefully enjoy it. I harbor no grudges against the games.

32 minutes ago, Icelerate said:

Maybe if FE10 was released later, you would have skipped that game. Is that right?

107 ERROR! CANNOT FATHOM A UNIVERSE UNDER THIS "IF" CONDITION!

Indeed, I can't deny this possibility.

38 minutes ago, Icelerate said:

Yet that didn't stop you from playing through RD despite it being that controversial online for those reasons but replacing Alm and Celica with Ike and Micaiah respectively. I mean are you going to let people's opinions online dissuade you from formulating your own opinions. Also, Skrimir's stupidity didn't prevent you from enjoying his character so that's an odd reason to be scared of a plot. And I'm pretty sure Skrimir is more stupid than any FE lord. 

I know, I need to stop being so Internet sensitive. It's only a video game plot & characters, the worst thing that'll happen is I'll waste my finite life overcome with superficial disappointment that Edelgard is utterly pathetic in how dependent she is on Bye Bye Bye for everything and isn't the strong female character we hoped for and post about it on here a couple times. Which really isn't at all bad in the context of life. 

Not to criticize the new girl in particular, I was just using her as one hypothetical example of many of how ? could go wrong.

10 minutes ago, Icelerate said:

The triple house split seems like an interesting idea. Not sure how it raises a red flag. Your last sentence sounds boring unless I'm misunderstanding what you want. 

It is interesting, but will overambition raise its ugly head again after Fates showed for the third and most recent time in FE's history that there is some truth to this statement?:

Black Knight
That...I do not know. He did tell me to deliver a message to you..."Overreaching ambition invites disaster."

-Said words originally came from the mouth of someone at the very center of the 2nd case overreaching of ambition in FE, delivered to Ashnard by a victim of it, what irony. And I do like that hot mess. Although I will say that having now played the 1st case, the 2nd handled things better in gameplay by staying much more traditional even with a few unusual changes of its own and some glaring mistakes. Narrative is a different and more complicated matter.

Getting back on your quote I've targeted, to be truthful, I'm not the biggest fan of high school hijinks. I'd just hope the plot isn't bogged down by such shenanigans of cliques and school tournaments and gets to the serious extracurricular meat of things. That is what I sorta meant. I'd rather spend my time tearing apart a cliched manipulative organized religion or bashing in the skulls of grunts from enemy nations, than sitting in a classroom watching student relationships of all generic kinds play out lightheartedly. I loved being in school myself, but for the education and telos it provided me, not so much the interpersonal interactions, which nonetheless I admit were quite quaint to observe from a distance.

So new calendar should appear by the 11th or 12th at the latest. I'm expecting Special Heroes in the late-middle of the month of course- Bridezillas 3 with Glass Slippers as Daggers. I'm hoping the next New Heroes if there is one on there will be a good one! ? It could be the last or second-to-last before the great Summer Swimsuits + ? + Braves + Farfetched 3 (Jill at least is a yay!) + OCs + Halloween and Xmas/NY's run of banners begin, when other NH things become very scarce.

Info about the GHB Puppet Delthea:

Spoiler

2yjcMji.png
Delthea: Tatarrah's Puppet - Blue Infantry Tome / HP: 
41 Atk: 36 Spd: 33 Def: 19 Res: 28
Weapon: Death (Mt 14, Rng 2): Grants Res+3. Grants Atk/Spd/Def/Res+4 during combat. After combat, if unit attacked, deals 4 damage to unit.
Special: Glacies;
A-Skill: Death Blow 3, at 5*
C-Skill: Even Atk Wave 3, at 4* 

Edited by Diovani Bressan

7 minutes ago, Diovani Bressan said:

Info about the GHB Puppet Delthea:

Reveal hidden contents

Delthea: Tatarrah's Puppet - Blue Infantry Tome / HP: 41 Atk: 36 Spd: 33 Def: 19 Res: 28
Weapon: Death (Mt 14, Rng 2): Grants Res+3. Grants Atk/Spd/Def/Res+4 during combat. After combat, if unit attacked, deals 4 damage to unit.
Special: Glacies;
A-Skill: Death Blow 3, at 5*
C-Skill: Even Atk Wave 3, at 4* 

I'm sad the weapon isn't called Deathlea

4 minutes ago, Humanoid said:

Hide contents

I'm sad the weapon isn't called Deathlea

Spoiler

But the weapon is pretty good. She is a good candidate of Mystic Boost, or at least Renewal.

Edited by Diovani Bressan

Fury 3 or Brazen Atk/Res, Desperation, and Brazen Atk/Res.

Spoiler

Puppet Delthea is kind of like a blue version of Celica, but with less attack and speed stacking for more bulk and mainly magical. With Fury 3 and being in Brazen Atk/Res range, she'd have 45 resistance.

4 minutes ago, Quintessence said:

Lukas refined weapon is a 16 mt Slaying Lance with Sturdy Stance 2. What are the other refinements? Gamepress hasn't updated their content yet.

• Faye's bow is all stats +4 when ranged for attacks, refine is QR for 50% HP (just like Roy's)
  • Sully and Stahl are gem weapons with the same refine as Cain and Abel's, but for enemy phase

4 minutes ago, Quintessence said:

Lukas refined weapon is a 16 mt Slaying Lance with Sturdy Stance 2. What are the other refinements? Gamepress hasn't updated their content yet.

Faye's weapon grants +4 Atk/Spd/Def/Res on enemy phase against ranged foes and can be refined for 50% HP Quick Riposte. Stahl and Sully have gem weapons that get an enemy-phase brave effect under the same conditions as Cain and Abel's player phase brave.

Faye's refine looks really good. Lukas's lance seems to be a slaying version of Oboro's prf.

Sully and Stahl are. Uh. They exist.