The Obligatory "I have not played Gaiden" Thread

7 hours ago, MissShake said:

If the story is pretty bland, does that mean the characters are pretty blank too? Is this a case where a Support system would beneficial?

Anyway, I'm pretty excited. The section where you see a character moving freely is interesting: I didn't know that was a feature of Gaiden!

I don't think Alm and Celica were bland, but the other side characters were(save Palla, Catria, and Est, but that's only because they were in another game). In its defense, it was made in 1992 by a team trying to figure out how to craft the series since it was the second game. I'm expecting a more fleshed out story and more personality to the characters now. Back then they had a lot more limitations, so there really isn't a reason to hold them back now.

EDIT: Save Zeke/Zeak too.

Edited by Dandy Druid

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seeing how they're adding cutscenes and focus on the backstory of the continent in the trailer, I'm willing to bet they'll expand upon the story and the characters. I can't make any promises, but I don't see why they shouldn't - wasn't Shadow Dragon heavily criticized for not doing more as a remake?

1 hour ago, Thane said:

In Gaiden, you actually control two armies at the same time for a large portion of the game. One of them is Alm's, a villager living with his grandfather in a small village and the one you saw him training with in the trailer, and the other is his childhood friend Celica's, who specializes in magic.

How was this handled in the original? Do you play different chapters with each army until they inevitably unify?

4 minutes ago, Wist said:

How was this handled in the original? Do you play different chapters with each army until they inevitably unify?

There was a split in Chapter 3 (basically you played one part as Alm and Celica before this for the first two chapters) where you can go after each map, and switch to the other party freely. You could not split units between them or items (without the use of specific NPC trader in some towns, giving you the ability to trade... three times, I think?) and you would play whichever party you wanted at any time until the completion of the chapter for both sides. Enemies on the map could spawn, group together, and attack you, forcing a defense map. Similar for the next part, and they do unify, but it's going to be interesting to see how they handle that.

Edited by Tryhard

A funny thing as well, is that you could revive units in FE2 to an extent, so if you really wanted someone to switch to another one of the 2 teams, you could kill them off and revive them with the opposite group.

40 minutes ago, Thane said:

Seeing how they're adding cutscenes and focus on the backstory of the continent in the trailer, I'm willing to bet they'll expand upon the story and the characters. I can't make any promises, but I don't see why they shouldn't - wasn't Shadow Dragon heavily criticized for not doing more as a remake?

Yes, and FE12 added a lot more content to FE3 book 2 including most prominently more characters, chapters, and base support conversations.  That's why I'm confident we'll see supports added in is because 12 did it.

Marriage I doubt, though.

Eagle eyed people have already spotted a mysterious new character, a villager named Efi, so we're gonna see some extensions to the plot in the style of FE12, most likely minus an MU.

Edited by Hero of the Fire Emblems

The remake will clearly be more fleshed out than the original.

Props to IS for giving us another remake. Pray to Naga it sells well enough for us to get Geneology + Thracia in a year or two.

On topic:

Started playing Gaiden a few hours ago. I'm very impressed so far. Unlike apparently most folks around here, I can go back and play older-gen games just fine. To those who may or may not consider trying Gaiden, it's easy to see where features from later games came from:

- Dual Protagonists (Alm and Celica): Brought back in Sacred Stones (Eirika and Ephraim)

- Pre-Promoted Classes (Villager): Brought back in Sacred Stones (Pupil, Journeyman and Recruit)

- World Map: Brought Back in Sacred Stones

- Roaming Enemies: Brought Back in Sacred Stones

I could go on.

...Anyway, I'm very encouraged by what I've seen so far (currently grinding levels in the Thief Cave). It's got me excited for what could be in the remake. Clearly the remake will be a MASSIVE game. Should be fun =O

2 hours ago, Florete said:

I tried Gaiden. I really did. But I couldn't do it. It's too dated for me. Hyped for the remake.

Likewise. Because of how old it is, I can't pick it up like I could with something more recent. I literally stopped and started hoping for a remake just so I could experience the story more comfortably.

While I've never actually played Gaiden I've had an understanding for what it was about, along with how radical its features were that kept its rep as the "black sheep" of the series for some time. What stops me from playing it (and by extension, the rest of the series) is purely preference. At the same time however, that very preference is also why I've only ever done one full playthrough of FE12 as a result, despite very much enjoyed the game. Oh well...

That being said, I have found a way to play both the GBA games, along with PoR on my wii, but just couldn't get into them without going on hiatus after each chapter, unlike how I am with FEDS onward for some reason.

Wow, Gaiden sounded like it had some great concepts and was ahead of its time, but couldn't get anywhere due to technical limitations. Really makes me hyped for this.

Edited by Tolvir

21 minutes ago, Tolvir said:

Wow, Gaiden sounded like it had some great concepts and was ahead of its time, but couldn't get anywhere due to technical limitations. Really makes me hyped for this.

The only thing I hope gets a major overhaul is the map design.

6 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

The only thing I hope gets a major overhaul is the map design.

Definitely, but I imagine that will happen. Again, sounds like most of Gaiden's problems came from technical issues due to the time they created the game. Now they shouldn't have any issues.

1 minute ago, Tolvir said:

Definitely, but I imagine that will happen. Again, sounds like most of Gaiden's problems came from technical issues due to the time they created the game. Now they shouldn't have any issues.

Yeah, seeing as how Sacred Stones and later Awakening ran with a lot of Gaiden's ideas, but even FE1 had better maps than Gaiden, so they didn't really have an excuse in that department.

I personally think most of the things that sets Gaiden apart in relation to other FE games were all nice ideas that were really, really poorly done, and as it's been said before, the map design is almost as bland as Awakening and the story's big twist that's supposed to completely change the way you view the game is so dumb i can't even begin to describe it.

I have high hopes that IS will improve in Shadows of Valentia on everything that Gaiden attempted to do buy failed.

Edited by OakTree

The best way to describe Gaiden, in a way that Westerners will understand, is this:

Gaiden is to Fire Emblem what Simon's Quest is to Castlevania. Great ideas that needed more time - and better technology - to fully cook.

@Aurabolt is 100% correct that a lot of great ideas came from this game. Here's to hoping the end result fleshes them out into something more playable with today's standards.

Never played Gaiden, or anything before Blazing Sword for that matter, but I'm very pleased Nintendo is bringing back the games we never got to see officially, and obviously it's being done with respect for the source material. It's also a nice change of pace to see an artist other than Kozaki handled character art. Don't get me wrong, I love Kozaki, but I'm also really digging this watercolour style. The only thing that irks me is how sometimes characters with speech appear in the middle of the screen, a la Phoenix Wright, but that's probably because I'm so used to Awakening/Fates. Also looks like the 3DS is really getting pushed to its limits with this game.

BUT OH GOD THOSE AMIIBO. Grabbing them day one with the game, those things look so detailed and pretty.

I too am looking forward to the Gaiden remake, as I did not even know FE existed until Binding Blade came out. I do hope that gameplay would be streamlined, and story be expanded upon. Of course, no stupid excuses for children (*), and I'll also give the MU a miss too.

(*)  One possible exception would be as done in Genealogy of the Holy War, with the children's generation as a brand-new "20/30-year-later" sequel.

Edited by henrymidfields

Excited about the remake, especially since I couldn't get into FE2 because of the outdated UI among other things. Will be interesting to see what remains and what gets changed in the new remake.

I'm replaying the game right now actually. Aside from modernizing the archaic UI among other things, I hope they implement some kind of support system, which is not present in the game. I'm not talking about implementing an avatar or waifus or whatever, but if we get another Shadow Dragon situation I think the game will suffer for it.

Edited by Thane

29 minutes ago, Thane said:

I'm replaying the game right now actually. Aside from modernizing the archaic UI among other things, I hope they implement some kind of support system, which is not present in the game. I'm not talking about implementing an avatar or waifus or whatever, but if we get another Shadow Dragon situation I think the game will suffer for it.

From what I've seen so far, I think it's pretty obvious Nintendo wanted to do more with Gaiden but was limited due to time and the tech at the time. We really should have seen a remake coming given the overt references to it in Sacred Stones and Awakening. It would be fair to call Sacred Stones the spiritual successor to Gaiden on that note: The two core features of both games--Dual Protagonists and a Traversable Map--were not used in any of the Fire Emblem games between Sacred Stones and Gaiden.

Now that we are getting a proper Gaiden remake, we'll get a better look at what Nintendo wanted to do with the original game 25 years ago. Supports will probably happen and the battle mechanics will be upgraded. It's obvious the maps will be upgraded to Awakening/Fates level, too.

EDIT:

For those wondering about difficulty, you will not be disappointed. Even with grinding the game provides quite the challenge this early on. RNG can be your best friend or your worst enemy XD

I'm working on leveling my starting team + Silk before I retry the next battle. The lack of a grid (introduced in PoR) really isn't that bad. Everyone has unique portraits back in 1991. It's obvious Nintendo really pushed the Famicom back then.

Edited by Aurabolt

Question for those of you that have played Gaiden. What can we expect class wise? I heard that there are 5 base classes, but what about promotions? Were they 3 tiered, 2 tiered? What classes promoted to what, what weapon skills did each have, etc.

Also, do you think they will add more classes in?

27 minutes ago, Tolvir said:

Question for those of you that have played Gaiden. What can we expect class wise? I heard that there are 5 base classes, but what about promotions? Were they 3 tiered, 2 tiered? What classes promoted to what, what weapon skills did each have, etc.

Also, do you think they will add more classes in?

Check Here: https://serenesforest.net/gaiden/classes/introduction/

The Villager Class is basically a pre-promoted class that randomly promotes to one of five classes: Mage, Mercenary, Soldier, Archer or Cavelier. I think one of two things will happen there: Either you can just pick which of the five you wanna be (you're randomly given one but can cancel and retry until you get the one you want) or you get proper pre-promoted classes ala Sacred Stones (For example Pupil, Sellsword, Recruit, Scout and Squire). I think we can expect branching promotions as well.

Based on the list from Gaiden, we should assume classes will be brought up to Awakening/Fates Level in terms of being able to use 2 or more weapon types and being able to carry more items.

And yes definitely we should expect a few more classes. Probably not new-ish classes but classes vets of the series are familiar with such as Thief. Existing classes will obviously be renamed. The Soldier class has three tiers: Soldier, Armor (Knight) and Baron (General). So does the Mercenary Class: Mercenary (Myrmidon), Swordsman (Swordmaster) and Demon Fighter (Swordmaster or....?).

Alm's class will likely change to Mercenary in Echoes and promote to Hero and then Lord or Vanguard ala Ike. Celica will promote to Princess and possibly Queen. Her starting class in Gaiden is Priest but she wields a sword in Echoes. Likely a hybrid Holy Knight or something?

^Uh, they already showed the villager class and promotion screen in the trailer, same five classes as gaiden, (so mercenary is taken and the class look matches for the ones we got so far) and looks like a selection but that could be deceiving i guess. Not really seeing your obvious name changes, particularly in regards to mercs and what three tiers really have to do with it. 

As for Celica what do you mean by her starting class being priest but having a sword in echos? I expect the name to change too but her having a sword in echos has very little to do with it. 

Edited by goodperson707