The Obligatory "I have not played Gaiden" Thread

Celica always used both swords and magic.

Do you mean me or the post above? Cause I meant her having a sword now as in this most recent game (I'll edit anyway I guess) while she always had one so bringing up the specific game with is confusing to me. 

Edited by goodperson707

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So we have a soldier class, but it eventually goes into the General line? That is a little disappointing in a way. I would love for the Soldier class to return, but this is a remake so I would rather it stick to the original anyway.

EDIT: Also looks like there are three tiers of promotion, but they are limited to what classes. Mage doesnt seem to have on past Sage, but Mercenary goes into Sword Fighter and Demon Fighter. Wonder how much of that will change?

Edited by Tolvir

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Gaiden where we got the Witch class? I had a lot of fun with it in Fates, so I'm interested to see its origins if that's the case.

1 hour ago, Tolvir said:

So we have a soldier class, but it eventually goes into the General line? That is a little disappointing in a way. I would love for the Soldier class to return, but this is a remake so I would rather it stick to the original anyway.

EDIT: Also looks like there are three tiers of promotion, but they are limited to what classes. Mage doesnt seem to have on past Sage, but Mercenary goes into Sword Fighter and Demon Fighter. Wonder how much of that will change?

Basically the class tree in FE2 was kinda unfinished if they cared about making third tiers for everyone. Still better compared to FE1... considering you sometimes just can't promote.

The class trees will probably see adjustments. Third tiers may be removed or classes might be shuffled around. Whether they will have branching promotions though I couldn't say.

Edited by Tryhard

11 minutes ago, InfinityAlex said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Gaiden where we got the Witch class? I had a lot of fun with it in Fates, so I'm interested to see its origins if that's the case.

That is correct. In Gaiden the Witch is an enemy-only class that can teleport to any space on the map.

4 minutes ago, SecondWorld said:

That is correct. In Gaiden the Witch is an enemy-only class that can teleport to any space on the map.

I'm wondering if we'll get a new character for the remake whos a Witch, just due to the Fates DLC.

Glad to see this thread and read the info about Gaiden, since I haven't played it.  The only Japanese only released FE I have played is 6.  I will be picking up this game day one along with the Amiibos because it looks very good and I want to support IS making remakes of the Japanese FE games and releasing them world wide.  

Never played Gaiden but the game definitely looks like it will be very fun. I'm getting this game at all costs. 

From what I'm reading, Gaiden had good ideas but not enough technology to fully realize them. I think that them doing a remake now is awesome since they can fully flesh out all their ideas now. 

I'm honestly more excited for this game than I was back when Fates was announced. As one who doesn't play on emulators, I'm happy to be able to purchase this game and see what it has to offer. A lot of things from Gaiden always interested me, such as the bigger focus on exploration, the 3rd tier classes, and leading two armies at the same time. I'm happy to be able to experience this for myself come May.

If I had to choose one word to describe my thoughts on this game, it'd be promising. FE has gotten so much more love the past few years, and it makes me happy to see games that people haven't been able to play before be made available to them. If this game does well, which I believe it will, it could prompt more remakes of non-western released games, ones I'd be excited to finally try out.

2 minutes ago, DarkWind said:

As a new comer to the series, like VERY new as in like 2 months ago with Awakening, this news article has me worried...

http://www.polygon.com/2017/1/19/14324356/fire-emblem-echoes-differences

They are really overstating what won't change. I think they'll keep the Weapon Triangle among other things. I wouldn't put much stock in Polygon articles, especially about Fire Emblem.

3 minutes ago, Jedi said:

They are really overstating what won't change. I think they'll keep the Weapon Triangle among other things. I wouldn't put much stock in Polygon articles, especially about Fire Emblem.

Well I remember how hellish hard Zelda 2 was and I simply had to play Awakening on casual mode to keep my sanity from permadeaths at bay, so I can't help but worry that this remake may be too hardcore for new fans while appeasing old school folks and that won't be good for sales as Western audiences like me are.... picky

All Polygon did was compare what Gaiden was to what the series' template is. And as mentioned before, Gaiden was basically Simon's Quest.

Can you imagine if Konami - in an alternate universe where they're still good, didn't humiliate Kojima, and weren't just shitting their best IP into Pachinko machines - remade Simon's Quest II today? It'd look a lot like a really good Metroidvania game, right?

That's more or less what we should expect here, given IS's history and the like.

13 minutes ago, DarkWind said:

Well I remember how hellish hard Zelda 2 was and I simply had to play Awakening on casual mode to keep my sanity from permadeaths at bay, so I can't help but worry that this remake may be too hardcore for new fans while appeasing old school folks and that won't be good for sales as Western audiences like me are.... picky

I think you're good there, no way will IS not have casual mode here.

And actually, Gaiden had a way to revive characters.

9 minutes ago, Tryhard said:

If all is well, people are going to be cursing that mercenary on the third/fourth map.

Ohohohoh yessss

I hope that they keep the spirit of the maps the same, but update them so the majority aren't so open. Would be nice if every unit can cross mountains just to harass the player, and everyone loves the warping witches! If they make the warp not so random, they can make them really mean.

Polygon just wants to generate clicks from newer fans and make them shit their pants.
Of course this game will have easier modes, not to mention grinding has always been a part of Gaiden.

@DarkWind rest assured that Intelligent Systems will not ditch their newer fans away like that. They have to make profit and want a loyal fanbase.

I played Gaiden a few years ago, but I stopped at the beginning at chapter four. I think that was because of a difficulty spike, and I didn't feel like grinding so my units could survive.

I did enjoy the things that made the game unique, though, like archers having so much range and the exploration of towns. Glad that they are bringing these things back. I wonder if they will also bring the magic system (No tomes, mages learn spells by leveling up, and casting consumes HP. The default spell - and the one used when countering in enemy phase - is Fire), would be nice. Though they should change the way it's determined which spells a unit can learn. You could screw yourself out of a perfectly good character because you made him a mage, but he has a barren spell list).

I also like the new artstyle for the portraits, it's closer to what FE used to look. Same goes to the animated cutscene. I didn't like the way Awakening and Fates looked in that regard much.

22 hours ago, Tryhard said:

There's a close-range archer after that. Archers in Gaiden, when equipped, had 1-5 range. Enemy phase for archers, feelsgoodman.

Jesus, I'm really curious how they'll balance that if it stays in

Edited by RobbieRotten

Yes, so hyped! All hail Alm, the green-haired Fire Emblem lord! Also, I'm one of those who can't stand Gaiden's outdated look and feel, so good for me. Kozaki's replacement is more than welcome.

Just, leave stupid children out of this game, please IS!

56 minutes ago, Tryhard said:

If all is well, people are going to be cursing that mercenary on the third/fourth map.

I would love that to be honest. I want some good challenges to come from this.