The Obligatory "I have not played Gaiden" Thread

1 hour ago, Night Zap said:

I wonder if they will also bring the magic system (No tomes, mages learn spells by leveling up, and casting consumes HP. 

I REAAAALLY hope that doesn't make the cut, that is such a helluva lame idea as a mage player across many games across the years. Could you imagine Skyrim or Diablo's magic system like that? People would utterly riot 

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

28 minutes ago, DarkWind said:

I REAAAALLY hope that doesn't make the cut, that is such a helluva lame idea as a mage player across many games across the years. Could you imagine Skyrim or Diablo's magic system like that? People would utterly riot 

Those are completely different games. People won't riot if the game is based around it and the system works well.

38 minutes ago, DarkWind said:

Yeah but in those games you mainly go off of casting, and do it all the time. Fire Emblem its more precise and timed.

3 hours ago, Tolvir said:

Yeah but in those games you mainly go off of casting, and do it all the time. Fire Emblem its more precise and timed.

...This.

I just got to Chapter 2. In Chapter 1, my only caster was Silk (Cleric). I now have 4 Casters (Celica, Jenny, Boey and May). Silk and Jenny come with Nosferatu, which is what you use to self-heal. As long as you're paying attention, you won't have to worry about running out of HP.

Gaiden Playthrough Update:

Sofia Castle (last map of Chapter 1) was tricky: At the beginning, there is a chokehold just past the moat. You have to get past 3 Archers (who can hit up to 5 tiles away. I had two Knights to soak up damage and Warped my Myrmidon Holding Bolt (Levin Sword equivalent) past that area. Once you get to the main hallway, the 8 Cavaliers just ahead actually move...as does the boss for the map. Slayer will wreck your team plus he has high dodge. i reccommend grinding until almost everyone is promoted at least (Tier 1 promotions happen at level 7).

The fight for Sofia Castle will be fleshed out a bit more storywise in Echoes. Talking to Mycen ends Chapter 1 and switches to Celica. I now understood why she carries a sword in all her depictions: She can fight ranged with Spells and at Melee range with her sword. She's gonna be REAL fun to use in Echoes =O

Speaking of Warp: Expect it to not work the same in the Remake. In Gaiden, you can use Warp to prettymuch send a unit anywhere on the map (no range limit). It's obviously crazy-OP to keep that in the remake. Would be kinda Game-breaking, more so assuming Rescue Staves are added to the remake.

3 hours ago, Sweet_Basil said:

What was Cellica like? Was she weak or incredibly strong? What about her character?

She's a Hybrid Melee/Ranged character in combat: She learns mostly Offensive Spells in Gaiden but presumably she will learn more skills/spells in Echoes. The only way to kill a skippable boss on her intro Chapter is with a spell she learns at level 5. She's something of a Holy Swordsman: Melee + Offensive Magic + a Heal. She can also take hits when necessary (as long as you're not spamming Spells, which use HP in Gaiden).

...If you meant in terms of personality and story, in general it's a bare-bones story so far. The highlight of Gaiden are the mechanics and the UI actually. I'm about halfway through Celica's intro chapter right now. I'm going to sleep in a bit.

One other thing before I forget: Jenny, the Cleric who's with Celica learns Illusion in Gaiden. Think Summon from Sacred Stones on Steroids: You can summon 1 to 6 NPC phantom Soldiers with who will fight for you. The summoned Soldiers have over 20HP and can be healed. Using it costs 12HP in Gaiden but it makes clearing the Pirate Hideout fast enough to recruit the 3 NPCs who join you afterward way easier. It's prettymuch a must in the sea battle after that, too. Jenny's Health becomes less of a concern if you down the optional boss: It drops a ring that restores 5HP per turn ^_^

36 minutes ago, Aurabolt said:

She's a Hybrid Melee/Ranged character in combat: She learns mostly Offensive Spells in Gaiden but presumably she will learn more skills/spells in Echoes. The only way to kill a skippable boss on her intro Chapter is with a spell she learns at level 5. She's something of a Holy Swordsman: Melee + Offensive Magic + a Heal. She can also take hits when necessary (as long as you're not spamming Spells, which use HP in Gaiden).

...If you meant in terms of personality and story, in general it's a bare-bones story so far. The highlight of Gaiden are the mechanics and the UI actually. I'm about halfway through Celica's intro chapter right now. I'm going to sleep in a bit.

One other thing before I forget: Jenny, the Cleric who's with Celica learns Illusion in Gaiden. Think Summon from Sacred Stones on Steroids: You can summon 1 to 6 NPC phantom Soldiers with who will fight for you. The summoned Soldiers have over 20HP and can be healed. Using it costs 12HP in Gaiden but it makes clearing the Pirate Hideout fast enough to recruit the 3 NPCs who join you afterward way easier. It's prettymuch a must in the sea battle after that, too. Jenny's Health becomes less of a concern if you down the optional boss: It drops a ring that restores 5HP per turn ^_^

Thank you! She seems interesting I think i'm going to like her. I can't wait!

49 minutes ago, InfinityAlex said:

Question: In Gaiden, is it worth waiting before promoting units like in the 3DS games?

Actually, no, even if you care about getting the most levels it is probably not worth it, because in Gaiden when you promote you gain all the stats to get to the base stats of your promoted class, if that makes sense. If you have stats above those promoted classes base stats, you won't gain anything in it. This is another thing that may change.

5 hours ago, Sweet_Basil said:

What was Cellica like? Was she weak or incredibly strong? What about her character?

She's a pretty strong character, although considering Alm is one of the strongest lord contenders outside of Sigurd, she isn't quite that good. Using swords and spells is interesting as a magefighter type class, and she does get access to the most powerful spell in the game almost exclusively.

Gaiden is the only Fire Emblem game i've never played, it was too old for me like Fe1 and Fe3 ; i'm glad these remakes showed up! 

I readed most of Gaiden's mechanics and some are a bit strange to me, i'm perplex but I hope reviving units won't return. (I don't like that, it's better to leave Casual mode for those who struggle, i really don't like the fact of reviving units)

I'm really curious about how they're gonna handle this game ; and happy to see dungeons too ahah finally. 

Now I wonder what mechanics will be added, deleted...(mmh i really hope capture would be there, i kinda liked this but i'll understand if it'll be cut as this game wasn't designed with this mechanic)

I hope childrens won't return (i never liked to do these optional chapters, i was already end game and had like only 1 to 3 childrens..useless) but if marriage is still there, that's not a problem (it was something appreciated by a lot of people, and supports is good! I don't care if it's deleted, but well, supports are important!)

Weapon triangle as well as magic triangle should be there. Maybe including some news things, but it's an old game, so I'm okay with some changes and some new things.

Archers ranges are something very good, i like it. But I'd like to have some more damages if the enemy is far away and less if it's not the case (it could be very interesting)

Spell being learned by level is very strange, but I think it's good. It changes from what we're used to ; maybe they'll keep spells and tomes? (some spells are learned by level, and some are tomes only) ; loosing HP is strange to me too (yeah gaiden is very different) but it's like using your magic strength to cast the spell, and loosing HP because it's life consuming to cast one thing like that (or maybe they'll include fatigue for spellcasters? It'll be better than loosing HP maybe, i don't know) 

Oh and please, Dark Magic must be back again like Radiant Dawn! (well every mechanics from Radiant Dawn were awesome ahah, like bases experience, magic, third tier, etc..)

Shrine to promote is not a problem and is better to me, as i never liked items promotion (i loved the RD system where you just needed to level up one time to promote, but it's obvious why it won't be in, shrine is going to be interesting, doing dungeons to promote ; but i think one another way could be awesome too ; maybe leveling 5 times above level 20 to promote without having new stats per level instead of instant promoting with the shrine? Or shrine needed for one tier only, the second tier being level tied? I don't know ahah)

I think I don't like the one slot inventory. Having the Food Option is maybe where items are going to be stored? But having only one slot is strange for Fire Emblem players, but it's more like real life. (and more customisation with this, strategy etc..Maybe i'll finally use the option to watch ennemies before strating chapters! ahah) ; maybe having two slots is better (maybe one being tied to the character, always used when he don't have another weapon, and the other being choosed by the player?)

The Avatar. Mmh, I really liked this. But not always how it was used. (i didn't like it in FE12, i liked it after that) I think having an Avatar would be cool, but not a lord character anymore. Maybe as a playable tactician? (hello FE7) ; it could work as a "strategist" ; having bonus depending of his location on the map ; and a lot of other things ; it could work for the story, and could be interesting for the gameplay. (to have such a special character being YOUR character, without being too powerful or too important) Maybe if capture would be in, it could involve the tactician? or like you need to surround the enemy by each side, then having the tactician around the enemy to capture it? It could be hard and interesting! Characters like Camus, Selena or Mustafa from past FE game could work like that now! 

Speaking of weapon durability, i think it'll be gone. But I think it could be interesting to have less stats for weapons that has been used (so durability won't break the weapon, it'll just reduce stats until you fix it for some gold or things like that ; enemies would have this too ; it could add some penality if one weapon is used too much instead of leaving the character with no weapon if it's broken)

And i think we can say that they're is going to be more characters as well as more chapters ; i readed Gaiden didn't have a lot of characters so maybe it'll be the case ; with chapters being reworked, etc..

But please, no more optional characters that only appear at the end of the game (Childrens, paralogues,..) ; they weren't a lot of chapters to play these.

Pair Up..I honestly don't know what to say. I always loved the rescue mechanic, as I started to play FE7 when i was 6 ; so it's like giving me chicken without ketchup if one mechanic like rescue isn't in, i got used to the pair up mechanic but didn't love it before ; Fates handled it very well. So I'll be glad if Pair Up is going to be there, but with modifications ; or if there's going to be a mechanic around this theme.

Being able to fight other player is very important to me too, i loved it ; but they need to improve it. Having characters from past FE game is great to me too; but only if there's not blue aura around them (why did they do this in awakening) and are acting like true characters (having support, no blue shield or blue aura, having new portraits, having their skills and their animations..seriously Ike not having his aether animations was bullshit ahah ; or Zelgius not being there with his class too xD)

So I think i finished my ideas, my thoughts and everything ahah! 

Edited by Metakirby

Now I know very little about Gaiden story, heck about the game itself and I prefer to stay that way till I play Echoes myself. However, seeing there were no support conversation in Gaiden and for sake of argument lets say it's in Echoes. My question for you that have played Gaiden how do you think the support conversation will be handle?

This stems from from my understanding that you are playing two different parties in two different places in the world majority of the game before the two joins up to defeat the big bad at the end right?

With this made me think that there will be exclusive support convo to each Lord and perhaps a couple that can support with both parties? For example a soldier in Alm party can't have supports those in Celica and vice versa and Villager A can support with characters in both parties. Now I have excluded marriage since I don't know the rooster and it's a different discussion if it should also be included or not.

Is there any beast/transforming classes like the manakete? I've heard there's a small cast so is everyone viable or are some people useless? Would you consider magic and strength being equal or stronger than one another, since magic seems to be more advantageous since it has no limit with only drawback is hp cost.

Oh boi, I'm so hyped for Echoes, I've never played Gaiden, but I wanted, and the trailer and all that I read above sold it to me, I can't wait for May to come!

I hope IS learn and don't put child mechanic or trash map desing, I don't really care about the pair up, I can live with or without it, but I hope we get supports

4 hours ago, KawaiiPersona said:

Is there any beast/transforming classes like the manakete? I've heard there's a small cast so is everyone viable or are some people useless? Would you consider magic and strength being equal or stronger than one another, since magic seems to be more advantageous since it has no limit with only drawback is hp cost.

There is no shapeshifting class. 

I wouldn't call some characters useless, but some are definitely a lot worse than others. Just among the three starting villagers, Robin (or now Tobin in English) is far weaker than Cliff. Celica's only villager, Atlas, has absurd strength and nothing else, making it very difficult to use him.

Strength and Magic are one stat in Gaiden. For pretty much everyone but Celica, I believe, you either have use magic or you wield a weapon. However, spells are unaffected by Skill, meaning they're locked to a certain hit chance, which is super helpful on occasion, like when the enemies hide in Gaiden's ridiculously many trees which offer way too much terrain bonus, but when you just want to finish a simple map quickly and you miss those five 70% in a row, you get frustrated. I do hope they fix the system a bit; I like the spell system, but locking both its accuracy and characters' Resistance is not fun.

Edited by Thane

On 1/19/2017 at 10:03 AM, SageHarpuiaJDJ said:

Haven't played Gaiden cause laziness, but I'll definitely be picking this up.

Question, How difficult was Gaiden compared to other games?

It's kinda mixed IMO.

Some sections are stupidly easy (the first two chapters are a breeze for me, especially chapter 1), but later levels tend to get harder. Geyse, for example, is frustrating

Edited by Pixelman

1 hour ago, Thane said:

There is no shapeshifting class. 

I wouldn't call some characters useless, but some are definitely a lot worse than others. Just among the three starting villagers, Robin (or now Tobin in English) is far weaker than Cliff. Celica's only villager, Atlas, has absurd strength and nothing else, making it very difficult to use him.

Strength and Magic are one stat in Gaiden. For pretty much everyone but Celica, I believe, you either have use magic or you wield a weapon. However, spells are unaffected by Skill, meaning they're locked to a certain hit chance, which is super helpful on occasion, like when the enemies hide in Gaiden's ridiculously many trees which offer way too much terrain bonus, but when you just want to finish a simple map quickly and you miss those five 70% in a row, you get frustrated. I do hope they fix the system a bit; I like the spell system, but locking both its accuracy and characters' Resistance is not fun.

Celica's base class is actually the mage promoted class. I think it may change in the remake. Djute and Sonia would be good candidate to become

The funny thing is that Gaiden have ridiculously low growth, but had the highest maximum stats in any games baring Awakening (40 for everything, except HP who maxed at 52). Obviously low growths are mitigated by the Angel Ring (double stat gain on level up. So Celica with it had 25% to gain 2 point of strength.)

Thanks to the Angel Ring I once had a May who had maxed Strength but nothing else. If she hitted something, it would die, but she had trouble hitting them on the first place, and would die to a breeze....

I also hope they will change Items Drop rates. Less than 1% (less than 0,1% for most of them actually) is just ridculous.

...Obviously the remake will be much more rebalanced. LOL.

Personally, I'm eagerly looking forward to the music. I can imagine how the battle music for Celica's forces will sound <3

Gaiden Playthrough Update:

I'm about 70% through Chapter 3. I anticipate Alm and Celica's meetup in Zofia Castle (Sofia Castle in Gaiden) to be a much longer story sequence, possibly having a cutscene or two thrown in. After they split, an earthquake hits and separates them. Celica heads East to to Doma Tower while Alm heads West for Rigel. In order for Celica to progress past Milia Temple to Doma Tower, Alm needs to capture the Water Gate.

An interesting mechanic is introduced in Chapter 3: Spawning armies. Every few turns enemy forces will spawn from the Water Gate and Milia's Temple until you capture them. I have not seen this in later games but it's basically a good way to EXP grind off mobs. Celica has the choice of recruiting Sofia (Mage) or Deen (Myrmidon) in the East. This will either remain true in the Remake or you will be able to get both of them.

The fight with Geyse was annoying as hell for several reasons. There is a Shaman on the map, who keeps summoning Bonewalkers. Killing the Shaman gets rid of their summoned monsters so...yeah. Fortunately, they're not very dangerous on their own. Their ability to endlessly summon enemies is the bigger problem. Nevermind the first leg of the map is desert: Non-Mages (Excluding Jessie and Celica) and non-Fliers can only move 1 space per turn on desert tiles (Mages can move 2 spaces). Presumably this will be less painful in the remake. Don't attempt Geyse unless Jessie has Psychic: Geyse himself will take a chunk ouf your melee Unit per exchange. You'll need to keep them topped off as much as possible during the fight. Keep Jessie far away but have Celica heal up close.

Those enemy Mages will wreck havoc early on if they're not taken out since they teleport in and hit your most vulnerable units first. I summoned phantoms with Jessie, which is what gives you a chance at actually getting into the fortress: There are two Snipers and 3 Wizards flanking the entrances to the fortress. They will tear Celica's forces apart without the phantoms. While the phantoms are active, enemy units tend to target them first. Once both Geyse and the Shaman are downed, the rest is just cleanup. Celica's army gets the Whitewings: Palla and Catria join you after Celica's first  Chapter 3 battle if they both survive (visit Sofia Village to recruit them). You actually have to beat Geyse to rescue their sister, Est. Triangle Attacks, if set up right allows you to 1-shot otherwise annoyingly placed enemies.

...Overall, I am enjoying Gaiden. The stupidly broken/dated mechanics aside, the game is impressive: Starting in Chapter 3, you control both Alm and Celica's forces at the same time. In Sacred Stones, you have to choose between Eirika and Ephraim. That's pretty impressive when you think about it. Alm and Celica have separate inventories but there is a trader you can use in villagers to send stuff to the other party. You can arrange the order of each party as well. The first 10 chars join you in dungeons so you'll need to plan ahead if you have more than 10 chars.

Speaking of items: Be careful using the Dark Sword. It's a cursed Weapon: There is a chance you will lose a chunk of your health when using it and yes, you can die from the HP loss. Of course, enemy units will attack anyone using it knowing that. I'd be wary of relying on it and placement of units using one. You don't want 2-5 enemy units rushing someone having it equipped just to get the TKO.

I'll close with this: You'll definitely want to grind, especially with Alm's forces. I came out of Chapter 2 pretty strong because I grinded (Army strength was close to 500). If you don't want to start giving your Melee units to Celica at the beginning of Chapter 3, grind off some mobs first. Celica's team should have their first third tier unit by the time you beat Geyse. For, it was a Demon Slayer: Impossible to kill let alone hit and they do MASSIVE damage.

6 minutes ago, SageHarpuiaJDJ said:

Were there any super broken classes in Gaiden?

I just finished playing through it earlier today, and I must say I found Bow Knights to be a little too useful, being able to move 8 tiles and having an inherent range of 1-5. Python was pretty much never in danger of dying and could dish out huge damage, especially after giving him some Speed points.

2 hours ago, SageHarpuiaJDJ said:

Were there any super broken classes in Gaiden?

Would Alm's promoted class be broken?

I mean, it does have access to bows...

Falcon Knights in Gaiden got effective damage on all monsters, similar to the Bishop's slayer skill in FE8... except that the FE2 version tripled their attack power instead of just weapon mt. I think they coded it this way so it wasn't useless if a FK was using the default 0 mt weapon, but it resulted in some crazy damage if you had something like Gradivus or one of the rare drop lances equipped.