No Pair-Up?

So, I'm not exactly sure if I'll get this game or not. It's nice to see another old FE game get remade, even if I would've preferred FE4 and 5 over this one. If anything, it increases the chances of that happening later.

But what I'm seeing doesn't really help me decide. If you saw the whole trailer, there was no sign of the pair-up mechanic, which has been in the past two games. I kind of feared this for future remakes, as Shadow Dragon was a bare-bones remake that didn't even have support conversations. I also dropped the game pretty quickly because of being forced to sacrifice people (not that there's any implication that Echoes will have this, I'm just saying).

It's just looking to me like this game will be another bare-bones remake with no features introduced in new games, just like Shadow Dragon. Shadow Dragon didn't have RD's ledge mechanics or third tier classes or anything. It felt like such a step down from a game that I thought had excellent gameplay. Now this game just might feel the same compared to Fates due to no sign of pair-up.

I also for one really liked the pair-up because it felt realistic. In real life, troops on the same side would definitely team up and help each other out and even try to protect them from attacks too. I hoped to see something like that in FE one day and we got it. Now in this remake, I don't see it! :(

Edited by Anacybele

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

So, I'm not exactly sure if I'll get this game or not. It's nice to see another old FE game get remade, even if I would've preferred FE4 and 5 over this one. If anything, it increases the chances of that happening later.

But what I'm seeing doesn't really help me decide. If you saw the whole trailer, there was no sign of the pair-up mechanic, which has been in the past two games. I kind of feared this for future remakes, as Shadow Dragon was a bare-bones remake that didn't even have support conversations. I also dropped the game pretty quickly because of being forced to sacrifice people (not that there's any implication that Echoes will have this, I'm just saying)

It's just looking to me like this game will be another bare-bones remake with no features introduced in new games, just like Shadow Dragon. Shadow Dragon didn't have RD's ledge mechanics or third tier classes or anything. It felt like such a step down from a game that I thought had excellent gameplay. Now this game just might feel the same compared to Fates due to no sign of pair-up.

I also for one really liked the pair-up because it felt realistic. In real life, troops on the same side would definitely team up and help each other out and even try to protect them from attacks too. I hoped to see something like that in FE one day and we got it. Now in this remake, I don't see it! :(

Even though it was vividly annoying that we didn't get the sequel to it(Since I hate using Emulators)which had fixed everything from Shadow Dragon and would have been the only chance to get the entire story of Marth. Of how the NES game was...I hope that they don't nerf the Pegs which they were absolute gods in that game.

Edited by PuffPuff

Wouldn't mind. Pair-up would feel out of place in a game that isn't designed around it (as if it isn't bad enough in Awakening). Plus, I don't love pair up as a mechanic anyways.

Just now, YouSquiddinMe said:

Wouldn't mind. Pair-up would feel out of place in a game that isn't designed around it (as if it isn't bad enough in Awakening). Plus, I don't love pair up as a mechanic anyways.

But it was improved in Fates and I think it was good there. A lot of people seem to agree that Fates improved it too.

Just now, Anacybele said:

But it was improved in Fates and I think it was good there. A lot of people seem to agree that Fates improved it too.

It certainly did, but it would still feel out of place. It would be like having pair up in FE7 which wouldn't really lend itself to improved gameplay.

As escptanner said, pair up might show up in another trailer and/or mentioned somewhere (like on the main site or something similar).

If it doesn't show in the next trailer and/or at least mentioned anywhere then well... RIP Pair Up 2012-2017, you will be missed (I think).*

*Unless it's in the FE : Switch instead, which makes my joke more lame...

Edited by December Knight
I made a little mistake, sorry!

As long as it was like it was in Fates, I wouldn't mind it. It seems like they're sticking to the original mechanics of Gaiden. but I wouldn't mind if they added pair up into the mix. While I do feel remakes need to stick to their original format, it should also be updated, and I think adding pair up wouldn't detract from the experience of Gaiden.

21 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

But what I'm seeing doesn't really help me decide. If you saw the whole trailer, there was no sign of the pair-up mechanic, which has been in the past two games. I kind of feared this for future remakes, as Shadow Dragon was a bare-bones remake that didn't even have support conversations. I also dropped the game pretty quickly because of being forced to sacrifice people (not that there's any implication that Echoes will have this, I'm just saying).

Give it some time, it was just announced. They barely showed any gameplay in the trailer, and already said more details will be shown later. They will likely show it in another direct closer to release. It supposedly has DLC, based off of the pre orders from Japan. And it is clearly using the Fates/Awakening engine. Just be patient and wait for more information.

I don't think the cast is large enough to make Pair Up really work well. Checking Serenes, there were just 16 PCs for each team in Gaiden, with a fair amount of class overlap (i.e. triple Peg Knight on Celica's team). Even with Villagers around that doesn't give you the sort of teambuilding options that Awakening and Fates had.

Now I can certainly imagine some new characters getting adding for each team, but not enough to outright overwhelm the prexisting roster. With a smallish cast on each team (since you're essentially training two of them for endgame) and potentially a bunch of weird gameplay systems depending on how much of Gaiden they're carrying over leaving Pair Up out of this remake would make a lot of sense to me.

Just now, Tolvir said:

Give it some time, it was just announced. They barely showed any gameplay in the trailer, and already said more details will be shown later. They will likely show it in another direct closer to release. It supposedly has DLC, based off of the pre orders from Japan. And it is clearly using the Fates/Awakening engine. Just be patient and wait for more information.

I would agree with you, but the thing is, we saw pair-up in the gameplay in the very first Fates trailer. Not seeing it in this game's first one because of that is just worrisome for me.

I'd prefer something fresh in dungeon crawling than sticking to their comfort zone in pairup, to be honest. As long as it is well done and not half-assed and they don't remove supports or other core features, I'm looking forward to a new take on the classic gameplay. 

I actually prefer lacking pair up, FE2 wasn't designed around it and it isn't a necessary feature for making the game modernized.  

Double so for Avatar units, after what happened with Kris in FE12, I'd rather no avatars in remakes from here out.

Supports should be added though.

8 minutes ago, Glaceon Mage said:

I actually prefer lacking pair up, FE2 wasn't designed around it and it isn't a necessary feature for making the game modernized.  

Double so for Avatar units, after what happened with Kris in FE12, I'd rather no avatars in remakes from here out.

Lucky you, there obviously aren't any avatars at all. You've gotten what you wanted, so is it necessary for you to constantly bring up how much you hate avatars?

I wouldn't care either way, but I guess I'd rather this game didn't have pair up, just to change things a little bit and to be a little more faithful to the original. 

5 minutes ago, Freyjadour said:

Lucky you, there obviously aren't any avatars at all. You've gotten what you wanted, so is it necessary for you to constantly bring up how much you hate avatars?

uhh, this is a forum for voicing opinions. She has every right to be against avatars and voice that opinion, specially when it comes to discussing mechanics on a new game. We actually don't even know if the games will have avatars. I don't see the issue here.

Supports will be here, that's a guarantee.

As for Pair-up, well unless they find something else to replace it, I'm doubt they will remove it.

Also yes, no avatars please. 3 in a row is enough.

I for one am willing to abandon Pair Up and revisit the old mechanics. Gaiden was an oddball anyway, so it's not like we'll be at a loss for new mechanics to try out, as already seen in the Direct.

5 minutes ago, Nobody said:

I wouldn't care either way, but I guess I'd rather this game didn't have pair up, just to change things a little bit and to be a little more faithful to the original. 

uhh, this is a forum for voicing opinions. She has every right to be against avatars and voice that opinion, specially when it comes to discussing mechanics on a new game. We actually don't even know if the games will have avatars. I don't see the issue here.

Yeah, but we've already seen map gameplay of both Alm and Celica's sides, and neither side seems to have any type of Avatar. I agree that anyone can present opinions, but it seems pointless. It's like saying that you hope Kozaki doesn't illustrate for the game when it's already confirmed that Kozaki isn't the illustrator.

Pair up wouldn't suit FE2 IMO. The cast is pretty few (though I can see additional characters being added), and it would wreck the balance more than it already is (considering it was already wonky)

Pair up can potentially break this game just like it did in Awakening. It's better off gone.

Plus, if you played Gaiden, you'd know that there is plenty to do in terms of keeping it from becoming as bare-bones as Shadow Dragon. The dungeon crawling alone will keep it fresh.

That said, I certainly wouldn't mind a Fire Emblem game without all the bells and whistles. I'm playing Shadow Dragon right now and the simplistic gameplay is honestly refreshing.

I haven't played the original game but I'm not a fan of the Pair Up mechanic. It wasn't shown on the trailer and I think it won't be in it, else they would've shown it; although I'm open to watch more footage. Independent of if Pair Up is in or not I'll get the game since I want to know more of it.

34 minutes ago, Glaceon Mage said:

This is exactly how I feel. I don't except exceptional character development from the remake, but at least, I'd like to have something to chew, y'know?

Pair up was great for a few games, and it might be great again in a future entry, but I don't feel like it has to be in every single game. I'm actually looking forward to a game where some of the systems from the past few games get replaced by alternatives. Like I'm hoping that this game brings back Gaiden's weapon system.

Trying to put in newer mechanics into older games is a tricky business. It might work but it might not either.

Just because it was very good in Fates doesn't mean it'll be balanced well for Echoes. I think it'll be fine if it doesn't have it.