No Pair-Up?

Personally I don't think Pair Up should be used in the remake. Not just because it wasn't in the original but because I don't think it would fit with the flow of the game.

...I am probably in the minority of those who preferred Awakening's version of Pair Up over Fate's. I get why it was nerfed so hard in Fates but to me it felt like you were more or less forced to not use it unless there was low a risk of character death in the following turn. I think it's better to leave it out in favor of focusing on other things. Like the above poster said, I would stop shy of saying it should be staple from here on out.

Folks are still getting used to Casual Mode and now Phoenix Mode (both of which remove perma-death), both of which remove a core part of what makes Fire Emblem so special.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Coming from a man who doesn't like Shadow Dragon, but appreciates that I game came to the US at all.

Think about it this way what if they added pair up to Tullius for no reason, do you honestly believe that would improve FE 9-10, it wouldn't because it doesn't belong in the game.  Gaiden very much isn't Shadow Dragon, from what I understand it is a very different game. Expect this plays a bit like Sacred Stones with a lot of new features as well, such a dungeon crawling and dynamic promotions, and Gaiden's Unique Classes & Weapons. 

I hope that supports are in though and I'm pretty sure they will, not a dealbreaker if they aren't. Also seems that they're filling out Gaiden the story a little bit more.  I'm excited I wanted to play gaiden it was just to clunky for me to do it. Having pair up in the game wouldn't be a dealbreaker but I don't think it belongs, If they had it I think they would've advertised it, considering the popularity of the feature.

Edited by Locke087

I think personally that we should consider the chance they might make it so that you can choose to play the game like the original or like Awakening. Then again, pay attention to the trailer as they separated their units up. If there was pair up, they would have at least shown it off once, even if it was a coincidence that their units were next to each other.

I don't think this game needs pair up. I was never a big fan of pair up anyway.

Regarding Avatars, I generally like having avatars, but they don't belong in remakes like this game.

I don't mind Pair-up being absent for this entry. While it was a lot more fair with its inclusion in Fates it ate up a lot time for me trying to number crunch enemy dual strikes for units not in defense stance. Even if we now have battle forecasts they're only useful for player phase so out of reach enemies can't be calculated by the system. Gaiden also didn't originate with pair-up so it may have been easier for IS to balance the game without it. 

13 hours ago, Anacybele said:

I also for one really liked the pair-up because it felt realistic. In real life, troops on the same side would definitely team up and help each other out and even try to protect them from attacks too. I hoped to see something like that in FE one day and we got it. Now in this remake, I don't see it! :(

Don't yell at me here, but I'm happy pair up is gone! I hope they also get rid of child characters and infinite weapon uses. I feel like this game is going in a perfect direction, and I feel like the only thing that could ruin it would be child characters. (Damn Child characters! They ruined Fire emblem!) J.K. But seriously, calm down with the child characters IS.

I would prefer if there was no Pair-Up in this game.

Awakening and Fate's Pair-Up system made me play Fire Emblem suboptimally by focusing far more on the Enemy Phase, focusing on a small number of characters, and buffing my units instead of strategically taking them out like in the more classic titles such as Sacred Stones or Radiant Dawn. I became so reliant on Pair Up that I ignored practically all else and the fact that grinding was available made for an easy way out in difficult situations. Sure, I managed Lunatic and Lunatic + on Awakening legitimately (until I got access to the Avatar Log), but still.

"Low Manning" is somewhat fine if one knows who all to take for the final chapter and the player focuses on those units, but when one uses just four characters near endgame, there is a problem.

2 hours ago, Tuvy said:

Don't yell at me here, but I'm happy pair up is gone! I hope they also get rid of child characters and infinite weapon uses. I feel like this game is going in a perfect direction, and I feel like the only thing that could ruin it would be child characters. (Damn Child characters! They ruined Fire emblem!) J.K. But seriously, calm down with the child characters IS.

Prepare for disappointment. Gaiden is where the Bolded was first used,

Wow, I'm shocked at how many people don't like pair-up. I think it's an amazing mechanic that should become an FE staple. Not only do I feel it's realistic, but I thought it added another layer of strategy if done right. Which characters do I pair with each other, and at what point? And in Fates, do I do a literal pair-up for dual guard, or just keep units side by side to get a dual strike?

15 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Wow, I'm shocked at how many people don't like pair-up. I think it's an amazing mechanic that should become an FE staple. Not only do I feel it's realistic, but I thought it added another layer of strategy if done right. Which characters do I pair with each other, and at what point? And in Fates, do I do a literal pair-up for dual guard, or just keep units side by side to get a dual strike?

Few people have said they don't like it; what they've said is that they'd prefer it to not be in this specific release. And considering it was described as "Classic Fire Emblem with a twist" and some gampelay tidbits we've seen, I personally don't expect it back. Pretty neutral on the matter overall.

Edited by The DanMan

13 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Its more due to the fact that this is a remake that is trying to stay true to what the original tried to do. I highly doubt pair up is gone from the series, just this game. FE Switch will probably have it.

Well, I hope the Switch game at least has it. But does this mean people here would prefer this Gaiden remake to be bare bones like Shadow Dragon? Bleh. This is what caused Shadow Dragon to do rather poorly and prevent FE12 from even leaving Japan. Do people want the series to decline again? I do not want another case of seeing a bunch of features cut. We went from RD, a game that had new ledge mechanics, third tier classes, a revamped skill system, supports (even if the conversations were dull, they were still there), etc.to Shadow Dragon, a game that had none of this. I'm pretty sure it didn't, anyway.

If Shadows of Valentia does have skills and support conversations and all though, I might enjoy it enough.

16 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

You are right on the realistic note, but I'm pretty sure we can also find something else.

Just now, Anacybele said:

Well, I hope the Switch game at least has it. But does this mean people here would prefer this Gaiden remake to be bare bones like Shadow Dragon? Bleh. This is what caused Shadow Dragon to do rather poorly and prevent FE12 from even leaving Japan. Do people want the series to decline again? I do not want another case of seeing a bunch of features cut. We went from RD, a game that had new ledge mechanics, third tier classes, a revamped skill system, supports (even if the conversations were dull, they were still there), etc.to Shadow Dragon, a game that had none of this. I'm pretty sure it didn't, anyway.

If Shadows of Valentia does have skills and support conversations and all though, I might enjoy it enough.

Exactly, SD failed because it was basically a ''modern'' version of FE3 with a few things added into it.

Shadow of Valentia is yes, a remake, but with a ''twist'', whatever that might be.

Remember, they have to please both veteran and casual players and I don't think Casual mode will be enough.

Yeah, I don't mind PairUp not being in for the reasons already stated. Pair Up works well in the games that has it, but from what I heard from Gaiden gameplay wise, I don't think it would fit. It would be refreshing to play a 'Modern' FE game without Pair Up, too.

1 hour ago, Blade_of_Light said:

Prepare for disappointment. Gaiden is where the Bolded was first used,

Yah I understand. I've played some of Gaiden and seen this, though I feel that it's not that bad in Gaiden because you can only have 1 weapon. 

4 hours ago, Anacybele said:

It's not so much wanting it to be barebones, so much as not wanting to completely lose touch with the experience.  Pair up would have to require quite a bit of redesigning to implement well, since we've already seen what happens when it's thrown in without much thought (Awakening).

As for the Avatar, Kris's implementation into an already written story was one of the biggest complaints about that game, it made it read like a bad FE3 fanfic and caused Marth to lose some of his character.  FE2 barely had plot, yes, but I'd much rather expanded story content focus on Alm and Celica, not a new character, avatar or not.

While I do agree that Shadow Dragon could have used a bit more even if it already updated quite a bit, the only thing I'd really add would be support conversations and possibly base conversations like FE9/10.  Overall I think FE11 did a pretty good job updating FE1, and the only area I consider it a failure of a remake is not giving Archanea's mostly non-existy cast something to flesh them out more (which FE12 did to some degree, though I don't like what it introduced for that purpose).  

Same goes for Echoes.  Fix the balance issues, make the game pretty and axe the archaic UI, add supports.  That's really all it needs imo.  

Yeah, for me, I'm really excited to play Gaiden again, but a beautiful beautiful Gaiden. Start throwing pair ups and skills everywhere, and I might as well play fates with the Gaiden OST on.

I don't know if I'm hoping it's exactly like SD as a remake (minor supports would be nice), I'm in the camp that really just wants them to tweak balance, add some cool things, make it pretty, and viola. In some ways, I hope it has even less options than SD (no wanton re-classing, lock your villagers in at the mila shrine dammit!).

3 minutes ago, ChibiToastExplosion said:

Yeah, for me, I'm really excited to play Gaiden again, but a beautiful beautiful Gaiden. Start throwing pair ups and skills everywhere, and I might as well play fates with the Gaiden OST on.

I don't know if I'm hoping it's exactly like SD as a remake (minor supports would be nice), I'm in the camp that really just wants them to tweak balance, add some cool things, make it pretty, and viola. In some ways, I hope it has even less options than SD (no wanton re-classing, lock your villagers in at the mila shrine dammit!).

i honestly pretty much assumed they would end up doing that if they remade any game but it really looks like they're trying to keep it as close to the original as possible

mages don't use tomes, the dungeons and map are still there, archers can attack close range, and it looks like you even take at least 1 damage from any attack

you can even see the stat bars in the thing it shows before you fight an enemy, which just shows how dedicated they are to making it like the original since those serve no purpose now that you can see the actual stats