Should the Falchion still be called the Falchion?

Should the Falchion still be called the Falchion?  

116 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Falchion still be called the Falchion?

• Of course! Changing original stuff is bad!
    • No. Marth wields the Falchion, give Alm's sword a swanky new name.
    • This is really something quite irrelevant to fixate on.

So something that always struck me as odd is that Alm's sword is called the Falchion just like Marth's (and much like Marth's, it doesn't even appear to be an actual Falchion) even though they have completely different origins. I guess the plan back then was to make every hero in the franchise wield a sword called the Falchion but they changed their mind when Holy Weapons became a thing in Holy War. With the benefit of hindsight, do you think there's any chance they'll rename Alm's sword to something more suitably distinguishable  and unique in the upcoming remake?

Edited by Jotari

Considering Duma and Mila seem to be Divine Dragons, I'm thinking they'll keep it as Falchion and come up with a "swanky" lore justification.

Edited by The DanMan

7 minutes ago, The DanMan said:

Considering Duma and Mila seem to be Divine Dragons, I'm thinking they'll keep it as Falchion and come up with a "swanky" lore justification.

That would still sorta take away from the unique aspect of these Holy Weapons. I'm also pretty sure Doma and Mila were supposed to be dragons in the original game. Doma's sprite at any rate looks a lot like a dragon. Them becoming dragons wouldn't really necessitate any origin change either since (going by the wiki) Falchion was a sword Doma created to seal Mila. Them being dragon only opts to have the whole made from one of his fangs element like Naga and his/her Falchion. Even if they do go that route I'd still like to see an alternate name since they're still separate weapons.

I'd like to see it still be the Falchion, but with something to differentiate it like the Parallel/Exalted Falchion.

Maybe the Lost Falchion, to tie in with the whole 'Another Hero-King' thing that sort of references how Gaiden kinda got abandoned.

9 minutes ago, Iridium said:

I'd like to see it still be the Falchion, but with something to differentiate it like the Parallel/Exalted Falchion.

Maybe the Lost Falchion, to tie in with the whole 'Another Hero-King' thing that sort of references how Gaiden kinda got abandoned.

That wouldn't really gel well with the lore since I'm pretty sure Doma created it recently in order to launch his assault.

WOW. I just thought of something that would have been amazing in Awakening. They should have given Whalhart Alm's Falchion. That would have made him the whole successor of Alm much more apparent and would have led to am epic theming in his conflict with Chrom by having them both wield swords called Falchion, both representing conflicting ideologies passed down from their predecessors. God dammit that's like the biggest missed opportunity there (in a game with a lot of missed opportunities).

Edited by Jotari

What about the gradius? Was that implied to be involved in a certain aspect of the plot (ie stuff with a certain washed ashore gold knight) and thus same weapon? My gaiden fu is pretty weak. (only read the script a ways back and looked over weapons and stuff)  

Also brought a thought about spoilers but that's off thread. Oh and put me down for the legendary Bardiche (which is a Fauchard) though it might need to wait for FE 2018 and not for Alm. 

6 minutes ago, TapdancingCrabdemon said:

Keep the Falchion as is, but I wonder if they will have an explanation for why it is there in the first place. Same with the Gradivus.

The answer is always Deep Realms.

3 hours ago, Rezzy said:

It always kinda bothered me that the Falchion looks nothing like a falchion.  Alm should wield a claymore named Scimitar.

Haha. Wish I could like comments.

3 hours ago, Rezzy said:

The answer is always Deep Realms.

Ugh, I really hope they don't add some pocket dimension nonsense into this game.

[spoiler=Minor plot detail of FE Gaiden]

Although it would explain why the traders can trade between Celica's and Alm's party with a rockslide in the way...

Spoiler

Edited by Masterthunderblade

51 minutes ago, Tryhard said:

the sad part is that the alm's falchion has worse stats than his previous regal sword

I actually don't find that all surprising. Marth's Falchion is basically an infinite use silver sword. Not all that impressive statwise compared to the three Regelia.

42 minutes ago, Jotari said:

I actually don't find that all surprising. Marth's Falchion is basically an infinite use silver sword. Not all that impressive statwise compared to the three Regelia.

It's a glorified Wyrmslayer.

I personally prefer to call it a Parallel Falchion, because Alm's tale takes place parallel to that of Marth's.

It needs to be the Falchion IMO.

As pointed out, the Japanese sub-title "Another Hero-King" is setting up Alm to be a parallel of Marth. Therefore it makes sense for Alm to have a Falchion too.

Maybe Shadows of Valentia will explain why Alm's Falchion is missing in Awakening. Nah, I don't think they would be that detailed XD

Keep it as Falchion. 

Since Lucina's Falchion can only be wielded by Ylissean Royalty perhaps they can find a way to make that version Alms.  After all Owain said that the Falchion has gone through repeated re-forgings. 

On 19/01/2017 at 1:07 AM, Corrobin said:

How about Laevatainn?

What kind of sword name is "Damage twig"? I kid, i kid.

They will probably come up with an explanation as to why the sword is also called Falchion.

This is coming from a guy who never played Gaiden so take it with grain of salt, but...

I always thought that Alm having a Falchion was a sign that legendary weapons weren't so legendary after all. You 'just' had to have a god to create it with one of it's tooth or something.
Marth's Falchion and Alm's Falchion are the same kind, ergo, they are Falchions.

If that make any sense.