Should there be an Avatar?

Should there be an avatar?  

317 members have voted

1. 1. Should Echoes add a customizable Avatar character>

• Yes
    • No

For this game, I'm fine without an avatar. Sometimes a story is better served without a self-insert. Although, it doesn't make much of a difference anyway, since our Fire Emblem avatars are essentially characters of their own, seeing as we don't get to make any meaningful choices within the games.

I'd love to see avatars return in future games, provided we get some control via personalities, dialogue and story related decision making. If not, then don't mask actual characters as player avatars (every FE avatar so far).

Edit: I'll admit, the villager avatar suggestion isn't half-bad.

Edited by Slyfox

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

32 minutes ago, Robert of Normandy said:

No. Putting aside my dislike of self-inserts in general, I find it hard to believe that it could be justified due to the nature of the split storyline. Assuming the simultaneous control of Alm and Celica's parties is kept from Gaiden.

Well said. This sums up my main concern with Avatar compatibility.

If they're like Chris from FE12, but with even less of a presence, then sure. I love making characters and find it tons of fun, but sometimes it gets to be too much. So as long as they do it right, I guess. However, I'm leaning more towards no.

I'd much rather have an avatar than child units, to be honest.  I think a customizable unit can be done well, as long as they aren't the focus of the story.  90% of the units have no personality anyway, so an extra unit added won't hurt too much, as long as they don't try to insert them into every scene, like Kris.

13 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

I'd much rather have an avatar than child units, to be honest.  I think a customizable unit can be done well, as long as they aren't the focus of the story.  90% of the units have no personality anyway, so an extra unit added won't hurt too much, as long as they don't try to insert them into every scene, like Kris.

Well it looks like we'll definitely be moving away from child units for this game which is a relief...Probably...I mean they could extend the game beyond the original and give us to campaigns like FE3 but...where can you go after uniting the continent and defeating a god...Now I actually want to see them try to shoe horn in a second generation just to see how hilariously contrived it would be. Oh god, now I've come full circle and I'm imagining a second generation that actually takes place hundreds of years later and I'm actually liking the idea. Doma did seemingly get unsealed and killed given that his remains are mentioned in Awakening.

After what I've seen with FE12-14 with the whole "MU" thing, I'll say that I don't trust IS enough to have a self-insert in an already established story if they couldn't get it right in a story that wasn't a remake of another thing. My vote is "NO"

43 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Well it looks like we'll definitely be moving away from child units for this game which is a relief...Probably...I mean they could extend the game beyond the original and give us to campaigns like FE3 but...where can you go after uniting the continent and defeating a god...Now I actually want to see them try to shoe horn in a second generation just to see how hilariously contrived it would be. Oh god, now I've come full circle and I'm imagining a second generation that actually takes place hundreds of years later and I'm actually liking the idea. Doma did seemingly get unsealed and killed given that his remains are mentioned in Awakening.

Child characters could just be playable in post-game paralouges, almost like trial maps, but with a little bit of dialogue. They could keep it simple and lighthearted, bandit skirmishes, contests/challenges, ect. Your main party could be playable in these maps, but they take on the role of generic units, if for no other reason than time travel being lazy, stupid, and unnecessary.

I'm voting a no since I don't want the story to be too messed up by an avvie, but if we had one (or two, like some suggested) that doesn't get in the way too much I'd be okay with it. There is fun to be had from creating a character, though, so a part of me wouldn't mind one. Honestly I think the poll needs a "it depends" option lol.

1 minute ago, MissShake said:

I'm voting a no since I don't want the story to be too messed up by an avvie, but if we had one (or two, like some suggested) that doesn't get in the way too much I'd be okay with it. There is fun to be had from creating a character, though, so a part of me wouldn't mind one. Honestly I think the poll needs a "it depends" option lol.

That's kind of how I feel about it too. I want to make a character because its fun, but I want to be told a story, rather than be the story.

Pay gold to recruit generic, fully customizable units. That's the newest dumb thing I want that won't happen.

1 hour ago, Cornguy said:

Child characters could just be playable in post-game paralouges, almost like trial maps, but with a little bit of dialogue. They could keep it simple and lighthearted, bandit skirmishes, contests/challenges, ect. Your main party could be playable in these maps, but they take on the role of generic units, if for no other reason than time travel being lazy, stupid, and unnecessary.

Oh I wasn't talking about a time travel. Just a straight up time skip with decedents inheriting status and equipment from now legendary ancestors.

Do I want one? Yeah. Unlike the consensus, I really like the avatar as a concept and Awakening was pretty strong with it.

Do I think there should be one? No, they're obviously staying faithful to this game and I don't want its success to be mired over something like this.

No. This story was made without one in mind. 

That being said, I do hope they'll add support conversations. Not like we have now where everyone can marry everyone, but we should be able to find out more about the characters we're using; since it's a NES game, most of the characters hardly have any personality.