Should there be an Avatar?

Should there be an avatar?  

317 members have voted

1. 1. Should Echoes add a customizable Avatar character>

• Yes
    • No

While I'm normally ok with the idea of an avatar, I'd imagine it could be frustrating seeing your favorite game ever having lots of things that weren't in the original game. Sure it's a "re imagining" but I think most veterans want a straight up remake rather than a total re imagining of gaiden. That's why, just this once, I'm saying no to avatars specifically for the remakes. Faithfully recreating them is of most importance imo.

However, if they were to include an "original mode" that only had what gaiden had (besides new graphics and stuff) alongside an optional "newcomer mode" with things like supports and stuff, I think that'd satisfy a lot of people.

Edited by Dinar87

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 1/18/2017 at 10:03 PM, Cornguy said:

That's kind of how I feel about it too. I want to make a character because its fun, but I want to be told a story, rather than be the story.

This. I can't really answer the poll because while a customizable unit is always fun, I don't want an Avatar. It's fine if I choose to project onto this character but I don't want it to be a character designed for me to project onto. We all know how IS can't help themselves when it comes to Avatar worship, as if our fragile egos need to be catered to at the expense of the story. That said, if we get a new MU that is scaled back or no MU at all, I hope new fans can appreciate how much better the story is for it and not complain about cut features.

No to S supports, no to significant plot involvement and TRIPLE NO to children.

On 20/01/2017 at 5:14 PM, InfinityAlex said:

Let's be honest, Mark isn't even an avatar. He's just a bystander who the player gets to name and has no effect on anything. I seriously question why he exists.

Kind of the point, imo it's better than most Avatar, moreso Kris.

Preferably no avatar since Gaiden didn't need one. No S-supports and especially no children due to the fact that Gaiden takes place between Shadow Dragon and Mystery of the Emblem (of course, if there were to be S-supports, make it so that some characters cannot be S-supported to the avatar like Alm, Celica, Tatiana, Zeke, Est, Catria, and Palla).

An Avatar is unlikely, not only because IS trying to sell Echoes as "Gaiden but better" rather than "Gaiden with more stuff", but because as some users in /r/fireemblem pointed out, most of the portraits in the game seem to be facing forward rather than sideways, and in the dialogue in these screens, they seem to be adressing Alm rather than an Avatar, implying we're seeing these characters from Alm's perspective.

Edited by OakTree

You know I kind of had a weird idea. What if they gave us two Avatars, with one traveling with Alm and the other with Celica, and rather than having either of them able to marry any of the established characters, which I doubt they'd do anyway, they'd just hook up with each other if they're the opposite sex? That way the waifu types can just make their own waifu (or husbando). Then everyone can be happy (except for people who wanted to marry pre-established characters, but marriage is unlikely to actually be implemented in FE2 anyway since it's a game that came out before the support system was invented and most of the characters already have people they canonically end up with).

Voted "No" because that itself robs away the historical experience as well as the storyline when only Alm and Celica existed in the Gaiden game. Story I is most historical in the series as some countries being real. (Macedonia and Thebes) Having the Avatar in the remakes of Marth's games kinda took that away.

Edited by PuffPuff

On 19/1/2017 at 7:35 PM, CrimeanRoyalKnight said:

No thank you.
If there was one but they were just a villager you can customize, Avatar fans would complain they are not important at all. This would be the option I would not mind the least, but I'd prefer it if it was optional.
If there was one but was like Kris or even worse, like Corrin, a lot of people would probably find it stale and older fans like me would not be pleased

Let this be Alm and Cellica' story!

Pretty much this.

I just don't want any avatars for a while. Corrin has really staled my view on them. Until IS can do a decent self insert and not just an already defined character that is customisable, then I won't mind an avatar.

On 1/18/2017 at 10:10 PM, I'm a Spheal said:

Maybe it's because I've been playing the Gamecube version The Wind Waker not that long ago, I think allowing the player changing the names of either Alm or Celica is a good compromise if they want an Avatar system.

^dis. I really, really like the design of Alm, and since it's a remake, I don't think the MC, should be switchd like that. It would be like remaking Fates, and having Azura be the MC. 

No, please no. The story is clearly centered Alm and Celica as we can see from the trailers, there is no need to devalue them because some Mary Sue decided to show up. If the "Echoes" subtitle implies anything about remakes I would like no avatar to be the case in every FE remake, because the old games are clearly entered in one character and truth be told, all of them have clear established tacticians, which the Avatar always is, leaving no room for him to be there anyways.

FE4: Sigurd has Oifey as tactitian/advisor and Seliph has Lewyn. FE4 is all about Sigurd uncovering the corruption in Judgral and losing everyone he loves until he dies branded a traitor to his country. Gen 2 is about Seliph standing up to fight off the Loptyr dudes and avenging his dad. What can the Avatar do here that other Oifey and Lewyn can't?

FE5: Leif has Finn, that Blaggi dude, and Selphina's dad for advisors, Leif is the one that makes the decisions, not some Mary Sue. The story is about Leif running a poorly funded rebellion against a huge Empire learning the truth that Thracia is a horrible place to live in, and by the end he is begging that Seliph will come to rescue him. In all of this mess how can the Avatar fit? "He could be his best friend" Give Asvel more lines and the Avatar wouldn't fit that purpose anymore.

FE6: Roy has Merlinus as tactician the whole way, Larum/Elphin join later, and sometimes Guinevere and Cecilia are there to speak something of tactics/plot. Roy's story is him leading a broken army against Zephiel learning about wavering loyalties and Elibe's corruption along the way. Merlinus acts like Robin that he always appears before the chapter starts so where can the Avatar fit? After Eplhin/Larum further invalidate his place? 

As for Gaiden, just give the characters more lines. The villagers could easily act as the Avatar as the "best friends." Alm is basically his own tactician because of his personality. Bottom line, no Avatars. 

Yes! But i hope there arent any story alternation to have the original plot from the game 

Gaiden has a plot?!

Edited by L9999

2 hours ago, L9999 said:

Gaiden has a plot?!

A surprising amount when considering it was for the famicom, and does quite a bit of explaining with it's limited exposition that it has, granted not as much as later games in the series but for the famicom.

Though there are some things they could elaborate one, like the blessing /shield/whatever it was that prevented you from killing Judah exect on certain turns

I do hope that they don't have an avatar in here, since it didn't really work with Kris, him/her needing to take lines from pre-exsisting characters and making them look worse in the process.

So I hope they skip the avatar for echoes ( exept for blazing sword, if they get that far with it), but hey, they might surprise still and make a really good avatar that changes my mind... I hope I'm not being overly positive with that?

Edited by ClassyWolf
messed up the spoiler

Gaiden is a game that shouldn't have an avatar. Not so they can be faithful to the original, but because plot wise when the "landslide scene" happens, the play will have to choose which path the avatar takes and so the player will be force to focus on either Alm or Celica and miss out on the other half. FE2 represented the theme or separation because of its gimmick and adding an avatar could defeat the purpose of this.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/6/2017 at 8:26 AM, Rend Keaven said:

Gaiden is a game that shouldn't have an avatar. Not so they can be faithful to the original, but because plot wise when the "landslide scene" happens, the play will have to choose which path the avatar takes and so the player will be force to focus on either Alm or Celica and miss out on the other half. FE2 represented the theme or separation because of its gimmick and adding an avatar could defeat the purpose of this.

Also, given that the Japanese script for Fates and now internationally Heroes very very strongly imply (Fates pretty much states outright at one point) that the avatars are all LoZ style reincarnations of each other, it'd get pretty confusing to have another avatar alive at the same time as the Hero of Shadow ("Kris") unless they actually implied the Echoes avatar is the Hero of Shadow- which I think would step on way too many toes around here and be pointlessly contrived to boot.

Edited by Hero of the Fire Emblems

2 hours ago, Dragonage2ftw said:

It'd make the game way better.

How would they warp between routes? You'd have to somehow make the avatar travel between two separate parties, or just have the avatar for half the game.

That's the biggest reason I don't think there will be one. And if there is one, that's quite a story stretch, one I would argue that would make the game worse.

1 minute ago, ChibiToastExplosion said:

How would they warp between routes?

Using the healers since they have unlimited uses of warp in here, of course!

Jokes aside, an avatar does look extremely unlikeable unless they give us one for each route... which kind of defies the whole thing about identify us with a specific character since there would be two. So... yeah, it's very unlikely.

The idea of customizable units would be cool though, they could have no impact in the story and be treated as generic units, but with a custom portrait.