Old Artwork & New Artwork

The art looks so much better. I will be honest, the original art looks very amateur and isn't all that good. Even by the early 90's standards of anime, cartoons, and comics that art really sucks. Liefield may of been a better artist. At least he can draw faces without it looking like a 13 year old with a weight problem.

The characters look a lot better though, I really like this style. Its like a cross between the new style and Tellius, which are two of the best in the series in terms of design and art. Cant wait to see more.

Edited by Tolvir

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, King Marth 64 said:

I'm pretty sure you're referring that blue armored guy is Clive not Kliff. Clive is the cavalier and Kliff is the Villager.

It could be Clive/Clieve! Since he was a cavalier/paladin in the original, and the new artwork of the blonde guy looks like he's a cavalier.

21 hours ago, Night Zap said:

I really like Boey's new design. Don't know why, it just looks cool.

Was it ever actually confirmed that it's Boey, though? His design has changed radically if it's really him. He has pants now!

Also, I think the blonde guy in the blue armor is Kliff. For reference, his original portrait:

Reveal hidden contents

44-fe2ch1pt08img0410.png

Boey is on Celica's route and in the trailer we see a white hair mage at 4:43. So I think it's safe to say that's Boey. I'll link the trailer below.

Spoiler

Well, that convinces me that it's really Boey and not a new character, because a drastic change in design sounds far saner than putting even more mages in Celica's oversaturated party.

His darker skintone makes me wonder if he's from the desert region that Celica traverses in Chapter 3.

7 hours ago, Night Zap said:

Well, that convinces me that it's really Boey and not a new character, because a drastic change in design sounds far saner than putting even more mages in Celica's oversaturated party.

His darker skintone makes me wonder if he's from the desert region that Celica traverses in Chapter 3.

The side characters' personalities and origins aren't explored in Gaiden so it's definitely a possibility! He, along with Mae and Genny worked at the Novis Monastery prior to the events of the game and that's all we really know. They don't have any backstory, so it's a definite possibly if they decided to flesh out the supporting cast this time around. 

12 hours ago, Dandy Druid said:

They don't have any backstory, so it's a definite possibly if they decided to flesh out the supporting cast this time around. 

I'm sure they'll flesh out all of the characters with supports.

28 minutes ago, escotanner said:

I'm sure they'll flesh out all of the characters with supports.

Probably. It'd be a huge missed opportunity if they don't.

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE:

The blonde character that I couldn't identify on the first page seems to be confirmed as Clive as I suspected. So here's the comparison of the old artwork and the new artwork.

Spoiler

latest?cb=20140119060121          latest?cb=20160811160354        latest?cb=20170119191831

It looks like they stuck to his original character design, as he's always been a blonde cavalier it seems. I'm digging his new armor. It matches Alm, which it should since they're both considered leaders of the Zofian Liberation Army. I really hope they expanded on the personality of this character, since his backstory/position and epilogue are really interesting.

On 2/6/2017 at 0:41 AM, Dandy Druid said:

UPDATE:

The blonde character that I couldn't identify on the first page seems to be confirmed as Clive as I suspected. So here's the comparison of the old artwork and the new artwork.

Reveal hidden contents

latest?cb=20140119060121          latest?cb=20160811160354        latest?cb=20170119191831

It looks like they stuck to his original character design, as he's always been a blonde cavalier it seems. I'm digging his new armor. It matches Alm, which it should since they're both considered leaders of the Zofian Liberation Army. I really hope they expanded on the personality of this character, since his backstory/position and epilogue are really interesting.

Hopefully he's actually a good unit this time round

On 2/6/2017 at 11:01 AM, Jagen said:

God, I'm really loving this games artwork more and more. It just might be my favorite fire emblem art already. I ca't wait to see what they do with Zeke and the white wings 

Same.

As long as they don't change them to the point of being unrecognizable, I too am hyped for their designs

On 18/1/2017 at 10:35 PM, Rezzy said:

Yay for Skirt Alm.  I hope we don't have the myriad panty-windows that plagued Fates.

Better than Gaiden's phallic armor.

5 hours ago, L9999 said:

Better than Gaiden's phallic armor.

Ok so I'm not the only one that thought some of the sprites looked like phallic-shaped objects. Glad to know I'm not going crazy.

12 hours ago, Dandy Druid said:

Ok so I'm not the only one that thought some of the sprites looked like phallic-shaped objects. Glad to know I'm not going crazy.

Just looking at the cover art you can tell something is wrong.

On February 8, 2017 at 0:55 AM, Dandy Druid said:

Oh gods...

On February 8, 2017 at 1:15 PM, L9999 said:

Just looking at the cover art you can tell something is wrong.

Dammit XD

Getting back to the topic at hand, I wonder how Silque, Genny, Tatiana, Mae, Delthea, Sonya, Clair and Mathilda's new designs are gonna look...

Personally, I can't wait to see how Kliff looks like.

From what I can see of his sprite in one of the new pictures, his hair also changed to white like Boey. But since Tobin had his purple hair change to brown I guess this had to happen. Hahaha.

On 2/11/2017 at 7:55 AM, Levant Mir Celestia said:

Oh gods...

Dammit XD

Getting back to the topic at hand, I wonder how Silque, Genny, Tatiana, Mae, Delthea, Sonya, Clair and Mathilda's new designs are gonna look...

You know I'm ready to post them on this thread when the time comes. Just hoping IS starts releasing them soon.

From the screenshots that we've seen in the trailer, Silque, Mae, and Genny didn't have much of a revamp. Genny still rocking her pink ponytail and Silque's hair went from a purple/indigo to blue. The hairstyle is still a bob though. Mae's hair is more of a fushia color now, but she still has her pigtails. 

The only other character you've mentioned that we've seen a battlefield sprite of is Clair. Her hair color doesn't look blue anymore (probably not to look to similar to Catria or Sheeda). She appears to have long blonde hair now, which makes her look more like Clive's sister than she did in the original. Fun Fact: she'll be the first blonde pegasus knight in the series, save Cynthia or Matoi if their father/mother was blonde. But since their official artwork doesn't depict them with blonde hair, I'm giving the title to Clair (if she is blonde, it was hard to see).