Valencia or Valentia?

So is the official name Valentia now.  Am I imagining that it used to be Valencia?  That hard T at the end of the word just seems wrong for some reason.  The soft S sounds makes the word sound refreshing.  Believe me, make a "tuh" sound, then make a "sah" sound.  You'll feel much better with the latter.

It seems both are names of real places, so Fire Emblem's penchant for using real world place names isn't a big help, there.

Considering it was used in the direct and was already translated as such in Awakening, Valentia is certainly the name they'll be going with. Valencia (or Barensia, which is just worse) was mostly used in the fan translations.

Also it's the subtitle of the game.

Edited by Reinfleche

Yeah, it has been Valentia since Awakening.

Personally, I thought Valencia sounded better. But mostly since I didn't knew there are places named Valentia. Now... well, hmm...

Edited by Acacia Sgt

11 minutes ago, Reinfleche said:

Considering it was used in the direct and was already translated as such in Awakening, Valentia is certainly the name they'll be going with. Valencia (or Barensia, which is just worse) was mostly used in the fan translations.

Also it's the subtitle of the game.

Yeah, although I've been seeing tons of peeps spelling it with a C in various places today and just really noticed the T, today.

2 hours ago, Rezzy said:

Yeah, although I've been seeing tons of peeps spelling it with a C in various places today and just really noticed the T, today.

I think it's fairly safe to say any names used in USA's version of Awakening are getting used in Heroes and Echoes barring a major flub.

1 hour ago, henrymidfields said:

Valencia is fine. FE used real-life place names as inspirations since the original Akaneia games, so why should that be downplayed now?

Valentia is also a name for places (e.g. island off the coast of Kerry), much as it's certainly less known than Valencia.

Unlikely they actually went with that though, and that this name is a coincidence from their usual name altering.

Honestly it is going to probably be the whole Akaneia vs Archanea. Shiida vs Caeda type thing. Jeigan vs Jagen. No matter what is localized, people are still going to call it what they want to.

Personally, I feel like Valencia rolls off the tongue better

Edited by DarkDestr0yer61
spelling error

7 hours ago, DeoGame said:

It's officially Valentia but Valencia will probably still be used in fan circles, similar to Akaneia vs Archanea. 

This, basically.

I more or less use the two interchangeably, given that its literally one letter difference. As for Akaneia vs Archanea...... The latter wins for me

15 hours ago, Hero of the Fire Emblems said:

I think it's fairly safe to say any names used in USA's version of Awakening are getting used in Heroes and Echoes barring a major flub.

There are a handful in heroes that were changed from Awakening - "Osian" instead of Orsin comes to mind. 

Edited by YouSquiddinMe

6 hours ago, YouSquiddinMe said:

There are a handful in heroes that were changed from Awakening - "Osian" instead of Orsin comes to mind. 

We don't know for sure if that's actual game yet or just for the site, hence why I said "barring a major screw up".

Those who know it as "Valencia" will probably call it such, while everyone else will call it "Valentia".  I'm going to stick with the name that doesn't remind me of an orange.

I don't think that Valentia has to be pronounced with a hard T, it could be pronounced val-en-SHE-uh, because of words like animation and creation having the ti make a "shh" sound

But I do think Valencia looks better.