7 minutes ago, saisymbolic said:

I honestly doubt Avatar and children will be in this. I know people are scared because of what happened to Fates, NMoE, and Awakening, but seriously, guys? If they were adding an Avatar, they would have been upfront about it and shown it in the trailer. I think. Most likely, the features will make a return in the new FE game slated for the Switch next year.

Other than that, I've never bothered to play Gaiden, so I'm interested in experiencing the game with a modern twist.

I think and hope you're right. While Fates' avatar was showcased in its second trailer, they gave huge hints all throughout the first. I still remember the analyses of that trailer picking up on the character customization aspects. So far it's looking good for SoV. 

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope that they do add supports, but that's also where my biggest worry for the game is: I feel like Fates had terribly written supports that made characters feel one-dimensional, and I'm afraid that this could happen here.

2 minutes ago, MissShake said:

I hope that they do add supports, but that's also where my biggest worry for the game is: I feel like Fates had terribly written supports that made characters feel one-dimensional, and I'm afraid that this could happen here.

At least some of them have to end up being decent.  One dimensional is better than zero dimensional.

I'm probably one of the very few people that doesn't care all that much if we get supports or not. I mean, yeah they'd be nice but I thought Shadow Dragon was just fine without them. I think most games should include them in some form but not having them isn't a major detraction.

I've made distinct threads for most of my hopes and fears but sure I'll list them here anyway for funz.

I hope Alm keeps his slightly violent personality. If he's just another generic nice guy than that'd be a big let down. I want to play a game where the protagonist can basically say "Sure. Use the burning oil. It's a valid strategy." For a change at least.

I'd like Alm's Falchion to be renamed and possibly given a bit more distinctive a design. It doesn't really make sense that Alm and Marth use the same weapon. I suspect it was their intention for every protagonist to use a sword called the Falchion until they decided to go with the Holy Weapon idea in Genealogy of the Holy War.

I hope they keep the same weapon system but expand on it a good deal. More weapons (and some axe users) and interesting defensive equipment. So long as they don't keep it as everyone except the protagonists being locked to one weapon.

I hope they don't restrict themselves to just the classes that were around back then. I think there was talk of Griffon Knights in the trailer? Dancer would be lovely too. Shadow Dragon is the only game that didn't have one (or a bard/heron equivalent) since they were introduced. And in that case I can sort of understand why since there was already a dancer in that cast thanks to the sequel. Some new classes like one inspired by the roman aesthetic would be nice too.

Oh! And I really, really hope we see the pre chapter narration again. That's just such a useful feature for dumping exposition naturally. I see no reason why it should ever have been removed in the first place.

Anna will have to show up somewhere. Gaiden's the only game she failed to appear in. Must be rectified remake.

Edited by Jotari

I'm fine with this game having supports. Just don't make it like Fates and Awakening AKA the waifu/husbando marriages.

The Avatar can be a villager, at best, but not some really important character who steals the show. Although I think it would be better if this game doesn't have an Avatar.

I'm kind of worried about the dungeon crawling, as it could just become another "annoying mechanic" (mainly because of how much the amount of enemies there will be in dungeons. I hope they keep it balanced). 

I hope they keep all the characters from the original game, including the Pegasus sisters, in this one, and probably add new ones, if possible. 

And finally:

Duma should retain his disgusting swamp like appearance when fought as the final boss. 

I am happy with the new (Hidari's) artstyle and the fact it is getting a remake. "Hype" would not be the word I use, simply "cautiously, but optimistically, looking forward to."

My greatest fears would be if they forced in a child/marriage mechanic, which would not really fit in the first place. But I suppose anything is possible with the FE games these days... xD

My main hope is that this game will get me interested in a part of Fire emblem I was never interested in. The trailer looked good so that's certainly possible. I hope the theme of decadence vs pure power gets some expanding upon.
I'm having high hopes for Alm as a lord. He was implied to be rougher then the gentle lords like Marth but more ''dignified'' than the rough ones like Hector and Ike.

Also I'm seeing some Persian influences in the trailer. It would be pretty cool if they added some flavor to the world by embracing that design. 

My main fear is that this game will be another shadow dragon that refuses to bring its continent up to snuff when compared to the later ones. 

Edited by Etrurian emperor

I don't see why people are so convinced there'll be an Avatar.  The message Nintendo gave during the Direct was "we tried to recapture the spirit of FE Gaiden in its entirety" which says to me that they're going to take care to preserve the original feel.  Also, I didn't see any indication that there was an Avatar added.  In New Mystery, Awakening, and Fates (IIRC) the Avatar was a big part of the advertisements.  This ad just focused on Alm and Celica, so I'm convinced that there won't be an Avatar.

There's a lot I like the look of here. The art looks gorgeous and I think I may like it even more than Kozaki's. I can't wait to hear the remade soundtrack, especially Mila's Divine Protection and Land of Sorrow, and I'm very much looking forward to playing this, since I never played the original.

In terms of hopes, mine are based off of hearsay, so if I wish for something that's already there, then I apologise:

• I want a more fleshed out story with supports for the characters. I think the former is a given at this point, especially considering the animated cutscenes, but I really would like to see character interactions on a more personal level. My only apprehension about this is that IS would upset a lot of fans by flanderising the characters or adding marriage or loads and loads of supports. Keep it small and simple guys.
  • An expanded roster. So apparently the original Gaiden had a fairly compact roster with barely any axe wielders. While it seems like we're getting new characters already, I would love to see a playable Anna in here, but then I'm a fanboy, so what did you expect?
  • The ability to transfer your Avatar from Fates as an old save bonus. I mentioned this in the Avatar thread, but I think that this would be killing so many birds with one stone. The players who like Avatars get to bring one across, the players who don't can ignore it, and Nintendo gives consumers another reason to buy Fates. This would be treated like an amiibo unit with portraits, voice acting and a unique model (hopefully with level up quotes, unlike the amiibo units), and it would alleviate complaints of having a Mary Sue who the story praises all the time, since the Avatar wouldn't be a part of the story.

My very biggest fear is that they will be lazy with the map design.

FE Gaidan, in exchange for all the interesting things it did with Fire Emblem, had baby's first tactics game map design.  It had large maps of empty space.

Hopefully, the developers used the old maps as a reference instead of an excuse to copypasta.

That's the trouble with stuff like this. Even if the original was flawed, is still OK for them to sacrifice a perfect recreation for the sake of a better experience? And who gets to say at what point it's OK to do so? Ethics, man.

My fears are that an avatar will be forced in and take over again (I'm confident there won't be children this time), that it somehow won't have supports, and that if it doesn't sell incredibly well it will put a damper on remakes or a more "classic" approach to the series.

My hopes are that it will be a tight and well written story, like SS which took inspiration from Gaiden, and that the likely small cast will be well developed and memorable, unlike the cast in the previous remake that came West. I also hope new fans won't be turned off if there's no avatar and less fanservice.

2 hours ago, Masked And Dangerous said:

My very biggest fear is that they will be lazy with the map design.

FE Gaidan, in exchange for all the interesting things it did with Fire Emblem, had baby's first tactics game map design.  It had large maps of empty space.

Hopefully, the developers used the old maps as a reference instead of an excuse to copypasta.

I second this.

I also share people's fears of an avatar being shoved into the story, as well as kids, though after the poor reception of the latter in Fates I think Intelligent Systems has learned their lesson. 

What I also hope they won't just copy is how there's no support system in Gaiden. I'm not saying this so that I can find a waifu or anything like that, merely that the characters and therefore the game will be more boring if we don't learn anything about them. The same goes for the story, which is very bare bones in the original game, though I'm less concerned about that since we've already seen them setting up the plot and we'll get cutscenes. As an aside, Rigel and Zofia feel a bit like Nohr and Hoshido, though with more moral ambiguity shown in the trailer than in the entirety of Fates.

As for hopes, I want Alm to be a bit more aggressive than other lords, which is how he's portrayed both in Gaiden and the Awakening DLC - I don't want him to be edgy or anything, just make him a bit less about the power of friendship. 

I also wish the exploration they showed to be done really well. It looked quite exciting, and I can see a lot of potential here. It's one of the things that made Gaiden stick out, so seeing it return after more than two decades is really cool. 

Finally, it'd be great if those fountains that bestowed permanent stat boosts returned.

Edited by Thane

48 minutes ago, Thane said:

As an aside, Rigel and Zofia feel a bit like Nohr and Hoshido, though with more moral ambiguity shown in the trailer than in the entirety of Fates.

This is something that stuck out to me too and makes me hopeful for a better story.  Neither Zofia nor Rigel were portrayed as more good or evil than the other, whereas with Fates it was immediately clear Hoshido was the good kingdom.

14 minutes ago, Book Bro said:

This is something that stuck out to me too and makes me hopeful for a better story.  Neither Zofia nor Rigel were portrayed as more good or evil than the other, whereas with Fates it was immediately clear Hoshido was the good kingdom.

Honestly, it lead to my buddies to conclude that they were the real villains.  They live in paradise while Nohr rots in a frozen bog.

As this is the only game in the series without Anna in it, I wonder if she'll be in this game.

Maybe she'll be an extra character to the roster. 

I'm also wondering if the smash amiibo will work with this game

I would be so happy to see Anna appear as a playable character. It's always cool seeing her in new outfits and I love her dialogue so much that her existence would make up for the lack of an Avatar (which, for the record, I can totally understand) in my eyes.

As someone who doesn't mind the children and avatar and actually enjoyed them as mechanics, I honestly hope that they won't be present. I don't think that the insert of children was THAT bad as everyone else says they were in Fates, although I'd prefer if they were their own characters instead, but I will admit that reasoning for the kids is very silly.

A HUGE fear of mind is that this game will divide the fanbase even more than it already is. Sure it can succeed and fans of newer generation will appreciate the older style of FE, but then it can fail, or even worse, appease to only one side of fanbase. As much as I enjoy Fates, the impact that it has on the community makes it hard for me to play it again.

All in all, I don't have too many hopes and fears for the game, aside from what's mention. I'm pretty sure SoV is gonna be a fantastic game, but how it will be received is another story.

Speaking of new characters, I'm replaying the game, and there's one extra character in chapter three in Echoes than in the original. Later on, when they show the class progression system, there seems to be a new character called エフィ, or "Efi". I wonder if you pick her up in the village along with everyone else.

I also heard this game will be fully voiced, so I wonder what that means for supports.

1 minute ago, Thane said:

Speaking of new characters, I'm replaying the game, and there's one extra character in chapter three in Echoes than in the original. Later on, when they show the class progression system, there seems to be a new character called エフィ, or "Efi". I wonder if you pick her up in the village along with everyone else.

I also heard this game will be fully voiced, so I wonder what that means for supports.

Yes, Marth Lowenthal confirmed on stream that the game is fully voiced, and an asterisk confirmed we'll be getting the voiceover in English. I would love fully voiced supports. It seemed like a step down from Awakening to Fates where characters make no sound in supports.

31 minutes ago, SageHarpuiaJDJ said:

A HUGE fear of mind is that this game will divide the fanbase even more than it already is. Sure it can succeed and fans of newer generation will appreciate the older style of FE, but then it can fail, or even worse, appease to only one side of fanbase. As much as I enjoy Fates, the impact that it has on the community makes it hard for me to play it again.

This is a fear of mine as well: Awakening and Fates really divided the fanbase and this game could either make the situation worse or better.

Also, I fear of a possible forced and badly done avatar.

51 minutes ago, Thane said:

47 minutes ago, InfinityAlex said:

Yes, Marth Lowenthal confirmed on stream that the game is fully voiced, and an asterisk confirmed we'll be getting the voiceover in English. I would love fully voiced supports. It seemed like a step down from Awakening to Fates where characters make no sound in supports.

It did seem like it was from what little we've seen, but glad to hear confirmation of both that and English VAs. Though "fully voiced" could mean "fully voiced main-game" and supports and side-stuff won't have voice acting.

Where did Yuri confirm it? In the main stream chat? Something of his own? Nothing was said during the main presentation (at least in NA).

Edited by The DanMan